PDA

View Full Version : PSU: Should I get PSU?

Genji
Dec 29, 2006, 07:37 PM
I own PSOv1 and v2 on the DC, PSO EPI&II and EPIII on the GC. Question is, am I going to enjoy this?

And a few detail(s) I need clarification on:

- What are the controls on the PC version?
- What's the major differences between MAGs and PMs
- Is class changing similar to classes in say... Final Fantasy Tactics? (classes have their own level and such)
- Brief description of locations and any new features

and I have to include this one:

- There aren't any Tollaws are there?

And yeah I know, I haven't posted in 4 years (and on top of that, only posted once back then).

DonRoyale
Dec 29, 2006, 07:42 PM
On 2006-12-29 16:37, Genji wrote:
I own PSOv1 and v2 on the DC, PSO EPI&II and EPIII on the GC. Question is, am I going to enjoy this?

It's a completely different experience, so don't compare it to PSO. You'll be disappointed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Manuals...>>

About 120000 meseta...and a huge iota of usefulness (MAGs >>>>>>>>>>>>> PMs)

- Is class changing similar to classes in say... Final Fantasy Tactics? (classes have their own level and such)

All classes have their own level. They gain experience as you beat missions.

Pretty, nuff said

Nope, no more fun Lavis Cannon hunts D=

Hope I helped =D

omegapirate2k
Dec 29, 2006, 07:43 PM
If you want my biased opinion, then yes, buy it.

Genji
Dec 29, 2006, 07:46 PM
Well the thing is, I was wondering what the controls are so I know in advance whether I'll need to purchase a gamepad.

Kismet
Dec 29, 2006, 09:44 PM
Don't be a dumbass, just get PSU.

Tonnio
Dec 30, 2006, 12:11 AM
YES HELL FRICKEN YES GET PSU!!!!!! IT IS TEH BEST GAME EVER!!! ........p.s. There are NO Rappies=( i'm gonna miss the little buggers

DonRoyale
Dec 30, 2006, 12:13 AM
There are Rappies in PSU >>

MayLee
Dec 30, 2006, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I might not be lucky to run into them but they are there.

HiKeRI
Dec 30, 2006, 12:19 AM

And yeah I know, I haven't posted in 4 years (and on top of that, only posted once back then).

Get PSU if you feel like meeting new people and suchs, it's a pretty good game so yeah, go for it.

Bipedal
Dec 30, 2006, 02:59 AM
The PC controls are made of ass and fail. L arrow key is lock on / center camera, D arrow key is attack, U arrow key switches to offhand, WSAD for moving, basically, it's a gamepad mapped to a keyboard. Do yourself a favour, go buy PSU and a USB XBox 360 controller. Then come back here, email me, and we'll set you up with some XBCD drivers so that it works exactly like the 360 controls (perfectly awesome), then you can get to enjoying your PSU.

DO IT NOW.

icewyrm
Dec 30, 2006, 03:01 AM
You will enjoy it. Whether or not you should but it NOW is probably a better question. On the one hand, the longer you wait to subscribe, the more content will be unlocked. On the other hand, you might feel somewhat behind if you have friends playing it before you. Server pop (ps2/pc anyway) seems stable if small, and I think the game will be online for quite a while, so if you decided to postpone starting for a couple of months then I wouldn't see any harm in it.

pineapple
Dec 30, 2006, 03:07 AM
Yes you should get it. There are some huge differences though. For instance, Mags and PMs are basically nothing a like other than how you raise them. The level designs also seem more similar to ep. 4

Solstis
Dec 30, 2006, 03:28 AM
Oh my gosh, please don't let yourself suffer like I did. If you're looking for another PSO, you will cut your wrists out of unfulfilled dreams.

The music and scenery is better, though.

Genji
Dec 30, 2006, 12:58 PM
Quick question, is there a 30-day-free trial? Can't find anything on this besides the bonus days you get for purchasing a Guardian's License.

Mewnie
Dec 30, 2006, 01:02 PM
On 2006-12-29 23:59, Bipedal wrote:
The PC controls are made of ass and fail. L arrow key is lock on / center camera, D arrow key is attack, U arrow key switches to offhand, WSAD for moving, basically, it's a gamepad mapped to a keyboard. Do yourself a favour, go buy PSU and a USB XBox 360 controller. Then come back here, email me, and we'll set you up with some XBCD drivers so that it works exactly like the 360 controls (perfectly awesome), then you can get to enjoying your PSU.

DO IT NOW.

And get a wired controller. Wireless doesn't play well with the PC.

But yes, any controller will do. I could not for the life of me imagine trying to play this game on the keyboard. This isn't an autoattack>mash one hotkey>ZZZZ>Win! type of game :3

Bipedal
Dec 30, 2006, 02:06 PM
No, there is no trial, and Meanie is right. Don't get the wireless 360 pad. Wireless on Pc is sort of pointless. Especially considering how you never move more than a few feet from your PC. Do you have any friends with PSU? See if you can install the game from them and try out single player just to get a feel for the controls and stuff. Then you can buy your own copy once you decide to go online.

Mewnie
Dec 30, 2006, 03:45 PM
MEWNIE

I am not Meanie, unless provoked >:3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mewnie on 2006-12-30 12:45 ]</font>

Kei-Z
Dec 30, 2006, 04:34 PM
Would anyone really say no on this message board? LOL. But seriously, I think it's a really good game. Of course, my opinion is quite biased as well.

Genji
Dec 30, 2006, 05:22 PM
Ended up purchasing the game and a Logitech controller (didn't have enough to shell out $30-40 on a 360 controller). Played Story Mode a bit before purchasing a GL, and so far I'm enjoying it.

Bipedal
Dec 31, 2006, 05:15 AM
Good job son. I'm proud of you. Now get your hunter license and start playing online. Single player is nothing compared to network.

Dyssaan
Dec 31, 2006, 10:58 AM
you can sang a xb360 controller third party for 24.99. It's the only way to fly

Kurosawa
Dec 31, 2006, 01:45 PM
It's already hacked to pieces and is nowhere near as fun as PSO.

Don't waste the time or the money.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kurosawa on 2006-12-31 10:46 ]</font>

PALRAPPYS
Dec 31, 2006, 02:54 PM
I think it's great. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif One thing: don't play it for hours upon hours and max yourself out in levels and such. Well, maybe if you're Dj_Sky_Epic.... but seriously, it's not something you're going to enjoy if you play 12 hours a day. Probably.

Dhylec
Dec 31, 2006, 03:02 PM
On 2006-12-31 10:45, Kurosawa wrote:
It's already hacked to pieces and is nowhere near as fun as PSO.

It WAS 'hacked', but it's not now. Unfortunately, the damage is already done. The duped meseta is still circulating.

foamcup
Dec 31, 2006, 04:10 PM
On 2006-12-30 11:06, Bipedal wrote:
No, there is no trial, and Meanie is right. Don't get the wireless 360 pad. Wireless on Pc is sort of pointless. Especially considering how you never move more than a few feet from your PC. Do you have any friends with PSU? See if you can install the game from them and try out single player just to get a feel for the controls and stuff. Then you can buy your own copy once you decide to go online.

There's no copy protection. If he does that, then all he has to do is sign up an account and he's online, lol.

Bipedal
Jan 1, 2007, 09:52 PM
On 2006-12-30 12:45, Mewnie wrote:
MEWNIE

I am not Meanie, unless provoked >:3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mewnie on 2006-12-30 12:45 ]</font>
Sorry about that meanie.

>_>

LegendKilla01
Jan 1, 2007, 11:22 PM
wait WHAT?U HAVE to pay to play online?

Bipedal
Jan 2, 2007, 12:40 AM
>_> Uhh... Yeah. Just like the last 5 or whatever Phantasy Star games.

VanHalen
Jan 2, 2007, 12:44 AM
On 2006-12-31 10:45, Kurosawa wrote:
nowhere near as fun as PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kurosawa on 2006-12-31 10:46 ]</font>

*gasp* LIES

BooChan
Jan 2, 2007, 03:52 AM
I would say it depends on whether you like a pick up and play casual experience or a semi MMO grindfest. PSU is a solid game but it comes up a bit short when compared to the charm and pick up and play rare hunt that was PSO. The community (on the pC/ps2 servers) is still a bit obnoxious but most players are of the hardcore variety. Sega figures to gobble up the 9.99 a month by hoping you invest in a game that takes more work than fun as far as the time investment required to get anything of value in the game online.
Offline the tacked on story mode is a 25+ hour tutorial on the gameplay basics with an ok story and low production values. Extra mode in my opinion is fun time waster and in some ways a bit more gratfiying than the semi grindfest of the online experience. Its not that PSU is not fun it just requires more effort into making it fun to play. I was in luv with PSU in the beginning until I realized that doing the same missions repeatedly, the pathetic meseta/item drop rate, and sega's plan on unlocking content that is already stored on the disc made the game monotonous to play after awhile. I can't give a definte yes or no answer because it depends on the player whether they like it or not. I would say rent before you buy.