PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the laws (of physics)

AzureBlaze
Dec 29, 2006, 08:25 PM
Ok, I hate "wire-fu".
Some people love wire fu, and they can watch some Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

This is not to be confused with "fantastical manuvers" such as stuff found in 'universes' like Dragon Ball Z, where people CAN actually fly around and throw mountains on eachother. It is also like in spiritual places such as Crouching Tiger/House of Flying daggers. In this universe, people can leap on bamboo rods and skip across water. They're supposed to, it's IN that continuity and you expect it. It is appropriate and can be beautiful.

Now what's that got to do with PSU?
Some of the new PA's are dipping into the wire fu realm...and shouldn't. PSU does not have outrageous physics, flying guys, shooting ki attacks, ghosts passing through walls, warping space/time etc. And this game is even supposed to be more NORMAL then PSO. No outrageous builds or clothes for your guy, everyone is forced to be this 'average' thing.

So why then do we now have:

People riding around the room on flying (mysteriously)guided thrown objects like Tao-Pie-Pie (who was notorious for throwing a pillar into the air, jumping onto it, and somehow riding it around the world like an airplane)
People passing though the ground and flying out of it like ghosts?
People flying through the air like horizontal helicopters for at least 70 ft?

When this 'wire-fu' stuff comes up in situations where it's not in the continuity, it breaks you out of the experience. Like charlie's angels suddenly doing 5-8 kicks to someone's head while flying through the air on 1 single jump. You start yelling in your mind "Bogus!" rather than going with the flow. These are supposed to be normal people doing outrageously cool things, but suddenly being able to fly or use ice-breath or something where they never did it before, and can't ever do it after that one incident is just...breakdown.

PSO/U has always been grounded in 'normal enough' physics. Yes certain machines can levitate, as well as objects (a box, a meseta) but this isn't DBZ. I like DBZ but keep dbz out of my psu. It gave reality to the 'martial arts' or whatever moves they were doing to NOT have these wire fu moves in there.

The bottom line:
If you're gonna make flying people/super heros/ghosts do it. Put all super moves, work it in that people can do crouching tiger stuff all the time. If not, it's out of place.

OPM
Dec 29, 2006, 08:28 PM
I hope they put in MORE crazy shit.

Taris
Dec 29, 2006, 08:30 PM
Seconded. Nothing else to add.
(Except "hey, may as well make it so that if you can ride your weapon around like an airboard, you may as well go the Full Monty and let us fire off dual pistols while doing it, like something out of Devil May Cry 3." Sigh.)

(PS: Honestly, I thought this would be another thread about Maya's main features. Well, hers, and about 50% of the "female" online characters.)

omegapirate2k
Dec 29, 2006, 08:30 PM
Hahaha ultimate PA's = Wire-fu to the max.

MomoHana
Dec 29, 2006, 09:28 PM
...I'd call you an idiot but I'll refrain from saying such bad things.

MayLee
Dec 29, 2006, 09:34 PM
The thing that gets me is PM's have wings after their last evolution but they can't fly or hover in battle. =

Kismet
Dec 29, 2006, 09:38 PM
This thread is really stupid... So stupid and pointless it makes me gag.

Next. >_>

Jife_Jifremok
Dec 29, 2006, 09:40 PM
This is one reason I'm sticking with Ranger classes. I'm only gonna fly around if I ever find Space Harrier's magic gun.

MayLee
Dec 29, 2006, 09:40 PM
Then why did you post? If it's too stupid and pointless then keep it to yourself and save yourself the time and not post in it.

Ronzeru
Dec 29, 2006, 09:44 PM
It's a anime style videogame, from japan. What do you expect? We need moer crazy moves. And what do you mean its supposed to be normal. When you look into the background, you see flying cars. You fight space aliens as a job. People can have green and neon pink hair, and clothes that glow. Everyones weapons has more photonic particals on them than Darth Maul's crea double saber.

I just wish they had a dagger move where you'd rush foward, the screen goes dark, you see slashes in the air with kanji flashing in the background, then you appear behind the monster's corpse on the ground behind you with your back facing it.

Kismet
Dec 29, 2006, 09:46 PM
On 2006-12-29 18:40, MayLee wrote:
Then why did you post? If it's too stupid and pointless then keep it to yourself and save yourself the time and not post in it.

I posted because I'm bored and besides... If I don't tell people these things, then nobody will. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Plus, e's putting DBZ and PSU in the same category. Shameful, shameful.

MayLee
Dec 29, 2006, 09:47 PM
But..This is the first time someone has compared this to DBZ..Well the first time seeing.

I still wish PM's could use their wings..>.>

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 29, 2006, 09:51 PM
I agree with the OP.

I love these photo arts myself but they really DO NOT fit in.

These are supposed to be normal people across the Gurhal Star system working together to stop the SEED. Some of the photon arts totally blow the lid off what you can and can't do.

If you've got people that can FLY on their weapon, why would you need so many people http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

As much as a I love these crazy photon arts, they really do throw off hte "normal" in this game.

Katrina
Dec 29, 2006, 09:52 PM
You mean the Matrix isn't real....?

Ronzeru
Dec 29, 2006, 09:58 PM
On 2006-12-29 18:51, Sgt_Shliggy wrote:
I agree with the OP.

These are supposed to be normal people across the Gurhal Star system working together to stop the SEED. Some of the photon arts totally blow the lid off what you can and can't do.

If you've got people that can FLY on their weapon, why would you need so many people http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

As much as a I love these crazy photon arts, they really do throw off hte "normal" in this game.

Normal people... flying across space... fighting space aliens.... with photon weapons... normal...? Wtf is wrong with you guys?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronzeru on 2006-12-29 18:59 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 29, 2006, 10:00 PM
Wait, I'd also like to add something.

Green hair, photon lined clothing, and laser weapons are all normal in the Phantasy Star "universe." A PS universe, a DBZ universe, a star wars universe. This is just the area where things can happen. If Goku pulled out a light saber, it wouldn't make sense because, well, lightsabers don't exist in the DBZ universe.

In PSU, if your average hunter THROWS his daggers at you and flies on his spear, that's not normal.

imfanboy
Dec 29, 2006, 10:03 PM
The op is full of crap.

There, I said it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Why?

"A sufficiently advanced technology will appear like magic to the unitiated."

Or, conversely,

"Wire-fu will appear like ordinary technology to people who know it well."

What is the 'powering' ability of the weapons in PSU?

Basically, weapons draw on your personal photon energy, channels it through a weapon into a learned technic/photon art/photon bullet, and turns that into an effect.

Guess what? From our standpoint, that's 'magic'. In point of fact, it's a very classic form of magic - using foci.

They just prettied it up and made it scifi, is all.

Ordinary people can't spin around 8 times with a pair of daggers, hitting every enemy around them, and then kick monsters twice their size down - well, not without throwing up after the third or fourth spin.

And that's a PA we have NOW - the first dagger one. And that's just one example.

There is nothing 'ordinary' or 'real world' about any of the Photon Arts.

Wake up, buddy. ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2006-12-29 19:04 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 29, 2006, 10:09 PM
I don't think you get the op >_>

These photon arts blow what the "ordinary" people of the PS universe can do.

There are certain "limits" in fantasy worlds http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Kupi
Dec 29, 2006, 10:15 PM
It's also worth noting that all of these crazy PAs, like the knuckle one where the gloves fly around you and the aforementioned spear-riding thing, can't be obtained without a significant amount of effort. You've got to be high-level enough to do S missions, and competent enough to finish them at the best possible rank in order to get one Photon Art fragment. A minimum, you need 50 of those fragments to learn an ultimate PA. Suffice to say, by the time you can get them, you are no longer a normal part of the populace. If the regular fighters can do the leaping attacks at the end of the fist PA we have now, I would anticipate, even expect, that a better-trained fighter could do something ridiculous with their weapon.

imfanboy
Dec 29, 2006, 10:18 PM
I get him and dismiss him and his frankly silly notions.

There are no theoretical limitations to what photon arts can do. It is, from our standpoint, "magic" and magic can do pretty much anything it wants to.

Essentially, the Photon Arts enable ordinary people to DO the impossible, like swing around a sword that's twice as tall as they are three times in a complete circle without having the sword fly off in the air, or bounce monsters off the ground just by swinging the blades of your sword at them, or freeze monsters in mid-track, or EVERYTHING ELSE.

Go and watch the ordinary PAs that we already have, evaluate them against reality, then cry if they don't match what YOU feel reality should be in the PSU game and wander back to WoW.

Those are ULTIMATE PAs, anyway, the final extension of what ordinary PAs make you capable of. Not at all out of line, considering what the basic ones are capable of.

And remember, you're only a visitor to the Phantasy Star Universe, not the lord and master. Go make your own MUD if you don't much care for the rules here.

Ronzeru
Dec 29, 2006, 10:19 PM
Limits.. and fantasy? That's kinda a oxymoron.

You have robots that summon massive guns from out of nowhere and causes massive mayham on the entire field, plus you have beasts that transform into giant massive werewolves.

Wtf is normal about the people of the PS Universe?

AzureBlaze
Dec 30, 2006, 12:38 AM
uh oh! Contraversy!
Didn't figure there'd be that much. The Sgt. put it best with this:

"Green hair, photon lined clothing, and laser weapons are all normal in the Phantasy Star "universe." A PS universe, a DBZ universe, a star wars universe. This is just the area where things can happen. If Goku pulled out a light saber, it wouldn't make sense because, well, lightsabers don't exist in the DBZ universe. "

The limit here is that goku does not whip out a light saber.
The limit in star trek is that captain kirk doesn't charge up a bunch of ki and fry the klingons.
The limit in naruto is that those kids didn't/can't build the death-star

They just can't do it in their universe. If they could, it'd look a bit odd...and make people go 'what?'. Yea it's fantasy -technically- anything can happen...but continuity dictates that it doesn't. If you're watching lord of the rings, and suddenly Aragorn pulls out an SUV, it's out of place.

All I'm saying is passing thru solid ground, helicoptering across the room and riding on weapons like broomsticks just doesn't seem to fit with what's already going on--regardless of the technology that may or may not render it possible.
-Teleportation happens all the time, so SUV is np.
-Anti-grav works, so huge weps weigh like nothing.
-Photons make anything glow, so clothes are a fine step here.
-Everyone always had wacko hair color
-Everyone always had semi-wacky physical abilities like backflips, ninja-antics, super-fast stabbing and all that...just the new stuff seemed...out of place. Even with it's own main plot. If you're mega-righteous at fighting (as you state you must be to get these super arts) I'd assume Renvolt would of achieved this, but as far as I know he didn't come ghosting up out of the ground despite how spectacularly handy that would of been in his line of work.

JaiBlue
Dec 30, 2006, 12:58 AM
I agree with the OP.

Omg how can you even say something like that and not take notice that we play in a world where 1 planet has a mountain complety made of water, walking talking beasts who stand tall in direct defience of god's will. Robots who are capable of a orginized takeover of all humans, or a bunch of elves who has the ability to create elemental effects from out of nowhere. "Normal" riiight.

Hotashi
Dec 30, 2006, 01:04 AM
On 2006-12-29 18:28, MomoHana wrote:
...I'd call you an idiot but I'll refrain from saying such bad things.

CelestialBlade
Dec 30, 2006, 01:37 AM
Wait, we're making sense out of video games now? Whoa.

Cav
Dec 30, 2006, 01:43 AM
On the internet, anything can happen.

Solstis
Dec 30, 2006, 01:44 AM
So, the younger crowd (in general) is not liking the OP's ideas. Overly escapist, anyone?

PSU has a diegesis. Some things belong within it. Robots, elvish people, bad haircuts, it all fits. None of these things fit within reality, but they do in PSU. Slapping in some weird teleportation moves in PSU is weird because A: You can spam it to hell, and B: being able to teleport does not make sense within the world. Sure, you can teleport objects, but characters in PSU take elevators, not Telepipes. Apparently, you can't teleport living matter in PSU. So, why can being a super-cool hunter suddenly let you?

They throw off what is "normal" for the game. Neo did a lot of neat-o things in The Matrix, but he didn't develop the ability to kill things by raising his eyebrows. It's because it was a rule set by the directors and the scriptwriters. If ST actually explained why it is that characters suddenly learn the ability to throw daggers merely by killing a bunch of monsters over and over again, then it might make sense. Otherwise, CONTINUITY ERRORS ABOUND. Like Frodo's tears near the end of The Fellowship of the Ring.

The OP actually has a lot more imagination than the dissenters, mostly because he realizes that fictional worlds have boundaries. A world without boundaries would have to set that rule through the narrative. ST did not do that.

Cav
Dec 30, 2006, 01:48 AM
Simple solution: don't use them if you don't like them. Not so simple solution: If you don't like other people using them well then, go form a petition to sega, or mark your games as "no flippy wire fu crap or kick"

Solstis
Dec 30, 2006, 01:51 AM
On 2006-12-29 22:48, Cav wrote:
Simple solution: don't use them if you don't like them. Not so simple solution: If you don't like other people using them well then, go form a petition to sega, or mark your games as "no flippy wire fu crap or kick"

No, the wire fu looks like it's fun. The point is that it is silly and strange. Don't be such a bullying pragmatist.

I have never used that phrase before.

imfanboy
Dec 30, 2006, 02:53 AM
'younger' crowd doesn't apply to me, not when I've been playing games for... gawd, will it really be 21 years come this March?

Every world has its distinct rules. I see nothing too out of line in the ultimate PAs for the rules as set forth by the idea of "Photon Arts." It's a simple progression that they should let you do things out of the ordinary and extreme; hell, even Tornado Dance at level 21 is basically the 'wirefu' that the op decries; ditto Bogga Danga or whatever it's called at level 21...

It's a logical progression.

And I really just don't see why he protests it; surely he could have seen it coming had he just used some logic?

Remedy
Dec 30, 2006, 02:57 AM
On 2006-12-29 19:00, Sgt_Shliggy wrote:
In PSU, if your average hunter THROWS his daggers at you and flies on his spear, that's not normal.They aren't your "average hunter", either. They're ones that have proven themselves in incredibly difficult trials (I'm not counting people who've farmed De Ragan/Mad Creatures S), and have earned training in incredibly difficult-to-master Photon Arts. The ones doing that aren't your regular Hunter - they're the elite.

That's the difference. That's why they cost PA Fragments.

Zorafim
Dec 30, 2006, 03:01 AM
I too like being told why something happens, even if the answer is "A wizard did it". Using that logic, it seems that photons are now a magical substance that people can use to do whatever they want with it, thus making these new PAs make sense. That still doesn't mean that they don't look absurdly stupid, though.

Alisha
Dec 30, 2006, 03:08 AM
did you ever stop to think light technic power is used for those moves? much like the force in star wars. same goes for bullets. all i know is that one dual claw pa looks like some awesome fulgore killer instinct move.

imfanboy
Dec 30, 2006, 03:13 AM
On 2006-12-30 00:01, Zorafim wrote:
I too like being told why something happens, even if the answer is "A wizard did it". Using that logic, it seems that photons are now a magical substance that people can use to do whatever they want with it, thus making these new PAs make sense. That still doesn't mean that they don't look absurdly stupid, though.

got it in one: photons are a magical substance, and photon arts are basically 'spells' or if you prefer, imprinted abilities used by amplifying your own photons through the weapon. Or maybe channeling your own skill through the weapon's PP charge... depending on how you take it.

Solstis
Dec 30, 2006, 03:23 AM
Then again, I don't think that anyone managed to explain the connection between ATP and Bullet damage (in PSO or PSU).

I probably jumped in just because people were trying to pass off 1 sentence "you're stupid" posts off as works of genius.

*Then again, since photons are some weird magical thing in PSU, ATP might make you, more... suggestive with your magical abilities? Still did not make much sense in PSO, especially when Shifta made any sort of non tech/trap attack stronger.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2006-12-30 00:25 ]</font>

pineapple
Dec 30, 2006, 03:27 AM
you can fire the bullets harder, duh.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ljkkjlcm9
Dec 30, 2006, 03:30 AM
I'd like for someone to explain some of the already existing PAs if the ultimate PAs are so impossible to beleive. let's see, saber, jump in the air and pause up high to slash them far away, yes you do pause in the air. Dagger, somehow you spin round and round on the ground in a STATIONARY position. Sword is huge yet swung with ease. Axe, jump long distances and even bigger. Third hit of current Double Saber is a slight fly forward saber spinning, basically a shortened version of the Ultimate PA. What else we got? Uhm twin saber, performing a multitude of flips on the third part of the combo. Double claw you're never on the ground for the PA, always above the ground to some extent. Fists, flying far through the air doing a magical flip.

I don't see how these PAs so far exceed anything. Throwing daggers makes perfect sense, as it happens in many many games. Riding on a spear, well that looks stupid and I'm not quite sure how that hurts anyone, but perfectly plausible in this game. Fists the detach and spin around you, sure why not. It seems to me that this game is getting closer and closer to Star Wars stuff. Anyone who knows nothing about this game and sees me swinging around a saber of some sort automatically thinks it's Star Wars. Doing flips with twin sabers reassures them of this idea, as it happens in the movies. Moving things with their mind, ie gloves and daggers, the next LOGICAL step in this universe.

THE JACKEL

Solstis
Dec 30, 2006, 03:37 AM
On 2006-12-30 00:27, pineapple wrote:
you can fire the bullets harder, duh.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Hate hate hate hate!

Fine, I concede the PAs, but the bullet thing is crazy.

Cav
Dec 30, 2006, 04:04 AM
On 2006-12-29 22:51, Solstis wrote:

On 2006-12-29 22:48, Cav wrote:

No, the wire fu looks like it's fun. The point is that it is silly and strange. Don't be such a bullying pragmatist.

I have never used that phrase before.

bullying?! I'm offering a solution to his problem. This is sort of like a rehash of "ppl kiked me 4 dieing w/o scape?! WTF?! thiz isnt rite!"

Nai_Calus
Dec 30, 2006, 10:30 PM
You forget one thing. When the hell has PS ever made logical sense? XD

Let's see. Hmm, PSI. We have this odd sci-fi/fantasy mix where yeah, people fly between planets in spaceships, but with items or spells you can also teleport to the last incongruous apparently-Christian church you visited(Where a friendly priest will be happy to revive the dead members of your party). Your big brawny physical fighter uses axes and guns, you've got a wizard in your party, the main character is a fifteen year old girl who manages to both be good with a sword and use magic... Oh, and let's not forget the talking cat. Strike that, give it some Laerma nuts, now it's a giant flying talking cat. None of this makes any sense whatsoever, but hey, why not, it's a fictional video game, they want giant flying talking cats, they got 'em.

Or the way you suddenly can't clone a certain person you've been cloning all along after a certain plot point in PSII? Nevermind her existance in the first place? Or hey, you can't get to Dezolis without a friendly space pirate's help, but then you meet a guy who can just teleport your party to the secret base of the big bad guys with his mind? Perfectly logical, oh yes.

Or how about the idea of a sword protected and empowered by the souls of the dead? Yeah, that's pretty "uh" too.

Oh, Mags, yeah, what the hell is with that? How DO those things evolve, and why doesn't something that's apparently D-cells with a mechanical shell go nuts and try to kill you?

And hey, PSU, in a game so apparently determined to lose any sort of fantasy element, why can my character conjure fucking fire out of mid-air? That's every bit as ridiculous as PAs, possibly more so, but I don't see you complaining about it.

Yeah, makes no sense. You're forgetting one thing here.

It's a video game. It's... Not really supposed to make sense, especially with as badly done as PSU is in general.

And to ressurect a quote of mine from the PSO days... "It's ST. It's not supposed to make sense. Now shut up and smack the booma like a good little bitch."

But seriously, whining about nonsensical elements in an RPG is like whining that bullies are mean. Well duhshit, it's what they DO.

Mixfortune
Dec 30, 2006, 10:55 PM
As pointed out by Solstis earlier and the OP a few more times, the point wasn't about the concepts, but the continuity of said established concepts. A few people in the thread seemed to have missed this.

Continuity following through with the world rules. The OP wouldn't have any complaint if the world of the game was built up to include said fantastical abilities. Here's where that DBZ example came in. It wasn't to compare DBZ to PSU by any means, but rather an extreme and easy to understand example using the concept of what he was getting at.

In DBZ if people throw mountains and moons around all the time, then it's not out of place to punch a small island into dust. But if you're playing PSU and people can't do anything close to throwing mountains but Ethan in ONE POINT in the story can punch an island into dust for no explainable reason, and for that ONE POINT only, then there's a continuity error.

Again, it's not the concept of punching islands into dust that the OP has a problem with, it's when normal people who can't bend steel start doing it.

Also, yeah, technically those one sentence flamebaiting replies that have nothing to add to the thread are against the rules. Don't do it.

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 31, 2006, 02:15 AM
On 2006-12-29 21:58, JaiBlue wrote:

I agree with the OP.

Omg how can you even say something like that and not take notice that we play in a world where 1 planet has a mountain complety made of water, walking talking beasts who stand tall in direct defience of god's will. Robots who are capable of a orginized takeover of all humans, or a bunch of elves who has the ability to create elemental effects from out of nowhere. "Normal" riiight.

You people aren't reading what's being said.

Everything that you mentioned is normal for the phantasy star "universe" or genre. What isn't normal is the fact people can ride on weapon and go through the ground.

It's putting a HUGE power boost out there for normal people. Magic spells, teleportation, photon weapons, hover crafts, and everything else is NORMAL for phantasy star.

Helicopter blades, flying weapons, and weapon riding? Not "normal" for phantasy star. It just doesn't make snese no matter which way you put it. People get a PA Fragment for doing a tough mission. . . They go to a shop and trade these for some item that anyone can use?

That makes no sense at all. I don't care how good you are or how far photon tehnology has come. You can't do half of what those photon arts in the phantasy star genre.

PA's like rising strike and various others are fine. . . They're "normal" and we're all used to them. Most of the ultimate PA's adn various others do not work out.

Ronzeru
Dec 31, 2006, 11:48 AM
On 2006-12-29 21:38, AzureBlaze wrote:
uh oh! Contraversy!
Didn't figure there'd be that much. The Sgt. put it best with this:

"Green hair, photon lined clothing, and laser weapons are all normal in the Phantasy Star "universe." A PS universe, a DBZ universe, a star wars universe. This is just the area where things can happen. If Goku pulled out a light saber, it wouldn't make sense because, well, lightsabers don't exist in the DBZ universe. "

The limit here is that goku does not whip out a light saber.
The limit in star trek is that captain kirk doesn't charge up a bunch of ki and fry the klingons.
The limit in naruto is that those kids didn't/can't build the death-star

They just can't do it in their universe. If they could, it'd look a bit odd...and make people go 'what?'. Yea it's fantasy -technically- anything can happen...but continuity dictates that it doesn't. If you're watching lord of the rings, and suddenly Aragorn pulls out an SUV, it's out of place.

All I'm saying is passing thru solid ground, helicoptering across the room and riding on weapons like broomsticks just doesn't seem to fit with what's already going on--regardless of the technology that may or may not render it possible.
-Teleportation happens all the time, so SUV is np.
-Anti-grav works, so huge weps weigh like nothing.
-Photons make anything glow, so clothes are a fine step here.
-Everyone always had wacko hair color
-Everyone always had semi-wacky physical abilities like backflips, ninja-antics, super-fast stabbing and all that...just the new stuff seemed...out of place. Even with it's own main plot. If you're mega-righteous at fighting (as you state you must be to get these super arts) I'd assume Renvolt would of achieved this, but as far as I know he didn't come ghosting up out of the ground despite how spectacularly handy that would of been in his line of work.

Wouldn't that underlined statement completely make your arguement null and void as to why they can defy gravity......?

Ronzeru
Dec 31, 2006, 11:53 AM
On 2006-12-30 23:15, Sgt_Shliggy wrote:

On 2006-12-29 21:58, JaiBlue wrote:

I agree with the OP.

You people aren't reading what's being said.

Everything that you mentioned is normal for the phantasy star "universe" or genre. What isn't normal is the fact people can ride on weapon and go through the ground.

It's putting a HUGE power boost out there for normal people. Magic spells, teleportation, photon weapons, hover crafts, and everything else is NORMAL for phantasy star.

Helicopter blades, flying weapons, and weapon riding? Not "normal" for phantasy star. It just doesn't make snese no matter which way you put it. People get a PA Fragment for doing a tough mission. . . They go to a shop and trade these for some item that anyone can use?

That makes no sense at all. I don't care how good you are or how far photon tehnology has come. You can't do half of what those photon arts in the phantasy star genre.

PA's like rising strike and various others are fine. . . They're "normal" and we're all used to them. Most of the ultimate PA's adn various others do not work out.

In the orginal PSO, I as a RAmar, could make a magical flying dolphin made of photonic particals fly out of nowhere, and attack someone.

So the ultimate PAs don't make sense, but the rest of the whacked out stuff do?

Solstis
Dec 31, 2006, 11:59 AM
Because mag technology was explained by the storyline. It was a part of the rules of the game.

Now, if your RAmar suddenly developed four extra arms and a second head, you wouldn't be thinking "well, everything else is weird." It wouldn't make sense, given that no one else did, and there was no real basis.

PJ
Dec 31, 2006, 12:39 PM

TECHNICs?

Has no one even mentioned this? You know, fire balls and causing earthquakes with the shake of a rod/wand, reviving from death, causing instant death etc. Why are these fancy pants flying around PAs less believable than Technics? Cause they've been AROUND longer?

I'm too lazy to read the rest of the topic

EDIT: Who cares if Techniques/Technics/Magic is normal for Phantasy Star. It's fucking MAGIC.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2006-12-31 09:40 ]</font>

Solstis
Dec 31, 2006, 02:04 PM
On 2006-12-31 09:39, PJ wrote:

TECHNICs?

Has no one even mentioned this? You know, fire balls and causing earthquakes with the shake of a rod/wand, reviving from death, causing instant death etc. Why are these fancy pants flying around PAs less believable than Technics? Cause they've been AROUND longer?

EDIT: Who cares if Techniques/Technics/Magic is normal for Phantasy Star. It's fucking MAGIC.

Yeah, so, if that's your stance, you should burn every Fantasy novel/game in a gigantic bonfire. Orcs in Lord of the Rings? Ohmygosh! Techniques make sense because the writers set it up that way. They explained it. The ultimate PAs don't really make any sense.

Ronzeru
Dec 31, 2006, 04:26 PM
On 2006-12-31 08:59, Solstis wrote:
Because mag technology was explained by the storyline. It was a part of the rules of the game.

Now, if your RAmar suddenly developed four extra arms and a second head, you wouldn't be thinking "well, everything else is weird." It wouldn't make sense, given that no one else did, and there was no real basis.

But it's not a character body warping or anything. It's just a technique attack skill their using, which does make sense. If I can kick a monster 3 times my size 3 yards across the room with my Doublesaber PA, then why can't I do other dante type moves?

Ronzeru
Dec 31, 2006, 04:27 PM
On 2006-12-31 11:04, Solstis wrote:

On 2006-12-31 09:39, PJ wrote:

TECHNICs?

Yeah, so, if that's your stance, you should burn every Fantasy novel/game in a gigantic bonfire. Orcs in Lord of the Rings? Ohmygosh! Techniques make sense because the writers set it up that way. They explained it. The ultimate PAs don't really make any sense.

The writers didn't even write up the NORMAL PAs, so there goes that logic out the window.

Mixfortune
Dec 31, 2006, 04:29 PM
On 2006-12-31 13:26, Ronzeru wrote:

If I can kick a monster 3 times my size 3 yards across the room with my Doublesaber PA, then why can't I do other dante type moves?

Exactly.