PDA

View Full Version : PSU-XBox 360: Is it me, or are some baddies bulletproof?

Taris
Jan 3, 2007, 04:51 PM
Forgive me if this has been answered already in one of those "goes on and on for pages" Ranger-type threads, but I've not seen this complaint before, so here goes...

I've noticed that some enemies just don't seem to take much damage from being shot, in general. Rifles, dual-guns, pretty much any bullet-based weapons. Some of the machine enemies in the first Episode 2 mission (hell, the second mission, too), for example, would only take double-digit damage from my 6-star rifle loaded with level 20 opposite-element bullets as a Level 35 Human Ranger with armour-units equipped.

After much swearing, I then whip out my piddling 3-star single-hand knife, grinded once with the SAME element as said robos equipped, and suddenly I'm doing upwards of 150-200 damage per swing.

Same goes for the Episode 2 second-mission boss, as another example. Now, I've finished the offline game, so I knew what the thing was, and where to shoot it. But HE's like level 16, I'M level 38 at the time, and I'm hitting him for 50 points of damage with each shot of my best rifle with opposite-element bullets equipped....and buff-medicine on for attack and accuracy. I broke down and changed to a rank 3 hunter and Dus Daggas-ed him to death with a 3-star spear... Even my GunTecher longbow wouldn't do as much damage for the trouble.

Oh, and don't even get me STARTED on Bil De Vears.

So, what's the deal, am I nuts? Or are some of these online enemies bullet-resistant? And if so, what would you say should be my backup plan as a Ranger/Guntecher?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Taris on 2007-01-03 13:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Taris on 2007-01-03 13:54 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Jan 3, 2007, 04:54 PM
Actually, different enemies have different resistances and or damage taking levels. Some enemies get Buffed, some enemies start buffed (like the ones with better armor/shields, and fist armaments). Some enemies are *leader types* of the same enemies, with a slight variation of design. When approaching an enemy and you see their name come up, pay close attention to the symbols that are near the name. Each one of them represents either a buff/debuff or status effect on them. They are below the name. Not the one next to it, which tells you the element that monster is (useful for what elements damage it the most and least)

So lets say you're fighting a Gohmon. And then you fight another one (which might have a visual difference on the head). You might see that it has a status buff or two(in that case, a starting one because it's a little better armored and with better attack power). That means, it'll take less damage (often half damage) and serve more damage when it hits you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-01-03 13:56 ]</font>

EJ
Jan 3, 2007, 04:56 PM
No it not you, unless you are really nuts, but most enemies are bullet resistant and can only be taken down fast with melee weapons but since rangers have SE I would use that to your advantages.

Also at the same time there are a few enemies out there that are really weak to bullets and are also melee resistant such as those tengoh for example.

Taris
Jan 3, 2007, 04:56 PM
@ Akaimizu:
Knew that bit. Hell, a month into the game, I was still trying to explain that concept to people. ("Hey, what the hell's that crown thing up there for?")

I'm talking about plain old vanilla enemies, here, in my examples, save for the boss mentioned.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Taris on 2007-01-03 13:57 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Jan 3, 2007, 04:57 PM
And yep. I agree with that some monsters tend to be weak to certain types of attacks, and not to others.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-01-03 13:58 ]</font>

EphekZ
Jan 3, 2007, 05:10 PM
akaimizu, good try, but he wasnt asking for that.

Some enemies (i.e flying enemies are resistant to melee weps.) and most of the big ground enemies(like the chicken guy thing with the two sabers...what the hell is that?) are very resistant to bullets. it just depends on the type of enemy the normal grunt enemies are just fair game.

JAFO22000
Jan 3, 2007, 05:13 PM
It's called "balance"....Rangers aren't the best at defeating everything. Nor are Hunters. Nor are Forces.

As a ranger, if you aren't the primary damage dealer on a creature, you can always try to cause staus effects or do other things to help the party out.

Dj_SkyEpic
Jan 3, 2007, 05:15 PM
Bullet proof, maybe. But not SE resistant. You can try adding lvl 4 SEs onto them and see how much life ticks away. Especially Trap G's.

Randomness
Jan 3, 2007, 05:49 PM
On 2007-01-03 14:15, Dj_SkyEpic wrote:
Bullet proof, maybe. But not SE resistant. You can try adding lvl 4 SEs onto them and see how much life ticks away. Especially Trap G's.

Rifle with level 21+ Burn, or, after the 12th, INFECTION.

Akaimizu
Jan 3, 2007, 08:03 PM
There are bullets with Status Effect level 4 on them? I've never seen them. The highest, I've ever seen, is level 2. Perhaps traps are the only ones with more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-01-03 17:04 ]</font>

Hotashi
Jan 3, 2007, 08:51 PM
On 2007-01-03 17:03, Akaimizu wrote:
There are bullets with Status Effect level 4 on them? I've never seen them. The highest, I've ever seen, is level 2. Perhaps traps are the only ones with more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-01-03 17:04 ]</font>

Play more.

Sychosis
Jan 3, 2007, 08:55 PM
On 2007-01-03 17:51, Hotashi wrote:

On 2007-01-03 17:03, Akaimizu wrote:

Play more.

And get a rifle or a bow.

Akaimizu
Jan 4, 2007, 01:04 AM
I have those. I guess they must kick in once you get the bullets close to max. I think i still seen level 23+ with only level 2 SE. I have the rifle as well, but I'l just have to see how far it goes. As for the Bow, i'm working on one. A good one.

DaveOnrefni
Jan 4, 2007, 01:16 AM
Rifle PA Lv21+ = lv4 SE
Longbow PA Lv21+ = lv4 SE

lv4 Burn + S rank Tengoh = yum

[edit: reworded]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaveOnrefni on 2007-01-03 22:16 ]</font>

Ether
Jan 4, 2007, 02:03 AM
For most part large enemies take half damage from guns, flying enemies take half damage from melee (tengohgs count as flying but not large). The only exception I can think of is Jarba, who take half melee and tech damage, but full damage from guns

Oh, and mechanical enemies take half damage from guns and melee

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ether on 2007-01-03 23:06 ]</font>