PDA

View Full Version : JP server population vs. NA population

Axel3792
Jan 4, 2007, 03:02 AM
I know there have been threads like this before, but on average, how many more JP Universes (both Worlds) have stars in them compared to the meager amounts on the NA servers?

Dj_SkyEpic
Jan 4, 2007, 03:04 AM
Compared to JP servers... NA is about... 1/8th imo.

MomoHana
Jan 4, 2007, 05:47 AM
also JP servers everyone doesn't crowd on Uni1 they are more spread :3

Itsuki
Jan 4, 2007, 02:46 PM
Ya, you actually see a lot on random little numbers for reasons I usually don't know. The last universe is usually full. First few sometimes get full. 11 gets some attention because it is the universe with all the portals on it (who wants to run to agata relics when you can just go to universe 11 and be there in an instant?)

Chris28
Jan 4, 2007, 02:53 PM
i would be in favor of combining the servers once all of the content is released. our meseta problems need to be fixed somehow before that happens.

MayLee
Jan 4, 2007, 02:53 PM
Japanese servers has one star at least, for every universe.

Itsuki
Jan 4, 2007, 02:55 PM
On 2007-01-04 11:53, MayLee wrote:

No, its not quite that full. There are quite a few random 1 and 2 star universes. But you gotta remember, there are 4x as many universes there.

Schubalts
Jan 4, 2007, 02:58 PM
On 2007-01-04 11:46, Itsuki-chan wrote:
11 gets some attention because it is the universe with all the portals on it (who wants to run to agata relics when you can just go to universe 11 and be there in an instant?)

Portals? What are portals? Unless they're something and the NA/EU versions have and I just don't remember the names.

Kent
Jan 4, 2007, 03:05 PM
I don't know of any portals in the international version... There are the NPCs that will allow you to go to a lobby that a party member is already in, though, but those are on every universe.

MayLee
Jan 4, 2007, 03:06 PM
On 2007-01-04 11:55, Itsuki-chan wrote:

On 2007-01-04 11:53, MayLee wrote:

No, its not quite that full. There are quite a few random 1 and 2 star universes. But you gotta remember, there are 4x as many universes there.

Ahh, I see.

But I still think they got a bunch of players.

Itsuki
Jan 4, 2007, 03:07 PM
Portals are a game at the flier base you can join in order to jump immediately to an outpost.

Portals take a couple people to make. A 1 person portal would be made like this:

1) A 2 person party makes it to a lobby. (any more than 2 isn't needed)
2) One person stays in the lobby while the other goes back to town
3) The person that goes back to town starts up a party at the flier base.
4) That person can now sign off. And the person at the lobby is now free go afk and leave the game open.

This creates an open game at the flier base, that anybody can join. Where you can just join, then go to town and talk to the girl, and jump to the outpost, then leave the party.

EDIT: And I know I've seen them on the US server to get to the labs/plant area before.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itsuki-chan on 2007-01-04 12:09 ]</font>

SolomonGrundy
Jan 4, 2007, 03:11 PM
And...I *still* don't understand what Portals are/do

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Itsuki
Jan 4, 2007, 03:16 PM
lets try explaining again:

You're in town, you don't feel like walking somewhere. You go join a game, but never actually enter the area. Then you go back to town, and talk to the girl that teleports you to outposts. Because someone in party is already at an outpost, you can now jump to that outpost.

Lets take an example. Lets say you wanted to go to agata relics. You would
- go to neudaiz
- join the portal game
- go to town
- talk to the girl and select the agata relics outpost
- leave party
- you're not free to play agata relics.

Kent
Jan 4, 2007, 03:27 PM
Okay... So it's not actually a "portal," but someone leeching their way to an outpost they wish to go to, via a game someone else (possibly one of their cohorts) made.

Itsuki
Jan 4, 2007, 03:37 PM
yes, but this game stays open 24/7 for anybody to use. So it functions as a portal would.

Sychosis
Jan 4, 2007, 03:37 PM
Is it the players themselves who do it?

Itsuki
Jan 4, 2007, 04:01 PM
yes, the players themselves. I'm not sure on the specifics, but its probably donation run or charity. The characters aren't actually played, they're just level 1s that afk.

-Shimarisu-
Jan 4, 2007, 04:16 PM
What makes me LOL is how nobody ever takes into account the numbers registered. The number over your head, minus the first number, is how many people were regged when you joined.

You can get an idea of total players from this. Actual population will be a fraction of this, and there will be quitters. BUt it will still give you a better idea than how many stars are full. Because the US server is split.

PC has around 30K people. 360 has around 34K, about 5K of whom will be Japanese. But that doesn't matter as they are part of that population now.

Total = 64K registered players on US servers.

Total for JP PC=? It was 100K after the first 2 months. In fact it was 100K in the first WEEK< but the fiasco of the rollback and the first month being a shambles did lose Sega some re-regs after the rollback. So what is it now?

Vhex
Jan 4, 2007, 07:02 PM
The 'portals' Itsuki-Chan is refering to are called 'Taxis' in the NA/EU version of PSU.

Jools
Jan 4, 2007, 07:47 PM
Heh, just to further badger Itsuki about portals a little more (everyone likes a bit of badgering), is there any standard description of portal games that the Japanese use? That info would be handy.

Thrash777
Jan 4, 2007, 07:53 PM
I think people are talking about both PC and 360 versions here, and are getting mixed up with the populations between them...

Itsuki
Jan 4, 2007, 10:40 PM
On 2007-01-04 16:47, Jools wrote:
Heh, just to further badger Itsuki about portals a little more (everyone likes a bit of badgering), is there any standard description of portal games that the Japanese use? That info would be handy.

Not that I know of really. Generally theres some group being mentioned in their name. The ones on universe 11 all have "ND<jiberish>" in their name. But generally speaking, if theres a C-rank game thats been open for hours on end at the flier base, its probably one.

PC has around 30K people. 360 has around 34K, about 5K of whom will be Japanese. But that doesn't matter as they are part of that population now.

Total = 64K registered players on US servers.

Total for JP PC=? It was 100K after the first 2 months. In fact it was 100K in the first WEEK< but the fiasco of the rollback and the first month being a shambles did lose Sega some re-regs after the rollback. So what is it now?
I did a few quick scans over thoughs outside of Agata onma, and the highest I saw was in the 170k-ish area.

EDIT: Keep in mind though, this was during a very down time on the JP server, where universe 1 was only at like 4 stars.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itsuki-chan on 2007-01-04 19:42 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Jan 4, 2007, 11:58 PM
I really had a feeling NA population was not THAT bad.

People predict doom and gloom, because they only look at how many stars unis have. They forget the smattering of players across the other universes too. Then there's My Room servers. Then there's the very fact people JUST DON'T ALL PLAY AT THE SAME IME.

I remember the worst JP got, I think it was towards the end of that first month we had. I saw only 2 unis full on that. And I thought the worst but so many players came back after update.

There really is no telling how popular this game is compared to PSO. But I don't think it's as bad as people say. On GC, ships could hold what, 100? 200 players max? And only 4 or 5 were ever full after the first few months. That being the mains on US and JP and the PSOW ship, plus the challenge mode ship, perhaps the second main ship too. Now bear in mind the US servers are split between 360 and PC/PS2. I know X-Box PSO was split too but it's really hard to gauge as it was also region split. I was on the euro one, less than a year after release. It was nigh-on dead.

On 360 you have at least 1000 people in those first two servers. 100 more in the French server. 100 more in the JP server. Maybe 100-200 in the third server, and untold numbers in My Room. It's really no less than PSO GC. And 64K are regged to US servers - I'm guessing it IS a third of the numbers on JP because I was THERE for 2 months of JP and the highest it was back then was 100K.

So people saying we are only a tiny fraction of the JP population are wrong. We're 1/3rd. That's 1/4th the revenue of the game.

If you think too that PSU is dead compared to PSO, remember that more people can fit in a server now. And that everyone's on the first server because they CAN be. It's not remotely comparable to the size of a PSO server. Both titles are and always were niche games. The population was always going to be small and devoted.

Tra
Jan 5, 2007, 01:14 AM
anybody here play Guild Wars? I like how they travel in guild wars http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PJ
Jan 5, 2007, 01:23 AM
On 2007-01-04 20:58, -Shimarisu- wrote:
I really had a feeling NA population was not THAT bad.

Yeah, the stars are totally misleading methinks. 60k people? Is that just my imagination, or is that a LOT of people?

Itsuki
Jan 5, 2007, 01:49 AM
Thats not necessarily saying how many are active players. Also, for reference, last I heard (unless they changed it, and theres no real way of telling), each star on the universe was 200 people. It wouldn't become a full star until it broke 200 people. Then it would add another empty at 300 (I think). And each universe capped at 1000 (probably slightly higher before compeletely rejecting people). I also have a feeling that people in my room stay linked to the server they were last on.

I think though what most people are saying is that the number of active players in japan is higher. Theres a lot more casual players in the japanese server and tons of newcomers constantly appearing. Its overall a lot more casual of a tone over there than over here. Also, the game was a lot more widely supported in the media than in the states. Japan had a weekly section in Famitsu for example. And famitsu has a large userbase in Japan. It keeps the server more active overall.

Sychosis
Jan 5, 2007, 01:53 AM
On 2007-01-04 22:49, Itsuki-chan wrote:
I also have a feeling that people in my room stay linked to the server they were last on.

They have to be. I've never heard of anyone being rejected coming out of their room. It most likely just leaves a place holder for you while you do your thing in your room.

Itsuki
Jan 5, 2007, 02:00 AM
On 2007-01-04 22:53, Sychosis wrote:

On 2007-01-04 22:49, Itsuki-chan wrote:
I also have a feeling that people in my room stay linked to the server they were last on.

They have to be. I've never heard of anyone being rejected coming out of their room. It most likely just leaves a place holder for you while you do your thing in your room.

Ya, thats the reason why I said I had a feeling they were. My room server is obviously another server though.