PDA

View Full Version : New players, how to get started?

Kalent
Jan 4, 2007, 03:03 AM
Hello everyone. I recently started playing PSU on the 360 offline mode, liked it, and switched to online. So far I've solo'd to lvl 12, and it seems like something's missing.

This is my first time playing any PS game(I've tried PSO on dreamcast years ago, was fun but it wasn't mine). I obviously like it a lot, but I feel like I know nothing about it. I kept hearing "PSOW" so I searched google and found this great site, but I still feel lost.

So on to my actual question. How does one, who has not ever played a game and has little to no knowledge of the game, nor has friends that own a 360 or play the game, find a group of people that are reliable? I just feel that a lot of information that's on the site is understood through experience(which is understandable), but I don't see a lot of "completly lost: The newbies guide to PSU" posts or anything.

Any/All help is appreciated!

vfloresjr24
Jan 4, 2007, 03:10 AM
I would personally say got to the server in which everyone from here goes to and find ask to join there party. Once you get in and play with them eventually you will start to expand your friends list(partner cards) and play with them all the time. Ummm don't know what else to say. once I get online(ps2 version) I'm gonna find people on here and play with them for awhile. It just take time to get good help on these games.

Dj_SkyEpic
Jan 4, 2007, 03:11 AM
Hmmm... Someone should make a guide for the completely lost ppl http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

But, Your best bet about finding someone reliable is to party with people, of course. Get to know them, share your partner cards. In the end, the ones you have met the earliest and longest will be your buddy till the end.

Soon, you will start to be playing more with the people you have cards with rather than the Pubs. *Pugs

I believe some people here on psow will be glad to help you out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif.

lopedo
Jan 4, 2007, 03:12 AM
Finding a group of reliable people is hard. Most (from my experience) random parties you join online end up being a nightmare due to item whoring leaders and incompetent people.

If you want, go ahead and send me a FR. I'm a level 36, but I still don't know a lot about the game. I can teach you the things I do, and everything else we can find out by going through trial and error (what I'm currently doing with weapons.)

Kalent
Jan 4, 2007, 03:14 AM
On 2007-01-04 00:12, lopedo wrote:
Finding a group of reliable people is hard. Most (from my experience) random parties you join online end up being a nightmare due to item whoring leaders and incompetent people.

That basically sums it up. What server does everyone play on, or try to play on here?(360 version)

PlayNSkillz
Jan 4, 2007, 03:46 AM
Yeah, there aren't any newbie guides here, but you can pretty much just ask a question about whatever you want to know about. Thats what I've been doing and so far people have been more than helpful and gracious to answer my questions. Just throw it out there and chances are, it'll be answered.

And I know what you mean about not having anyone to team up with. I'm level 33 and have been soloing since day 1. I have my clan and friends, but they're more of the FPS types (I still am), all playing Gears and R6:V. And as been stated before, a good percentage of the people you meet online aren't exactly helpful and polite. Kinda sucks to want to just talk to someone and all you is "OMGWTFBBQ SuPRe-SAiL gIgALINE 30k HErRY uP!!!!11" and "LIek musTARD CaIkE!"

We need to form some kind of clan or something. I'll send you a FR soon.

EDIT: Oh, and I try to play in Universe 1 or 2. However, I think the official PSOW universe is 15.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PlayNSkillz on 2007-01-04 00:47 ]</font>

Sychosis
Jan 4, 2007, 08:43 AM
I'll be running Unsafe Passage C games named "PSOW" today in universe 15 to raise my 450, If you catch me online today feel free to pop in. Maybe I'll be able to convince some other PSOWers to join up and help you out. If not, I'm more than willing to help by myself.

EDIT: And Valley of Carnage C runs (Moatoob), good exp/mission points for the time it takes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2007-01-04 07:54 ]</font>

Sekani
Jan 4, 2007, 09:38 AM
Have you done the tutorial yet? It explains a lot of the more complicated stuff that would take ages to explain otherwise, such as how to use Photon Arts. Any other questions you can just ask.

As for finding people, you have to be a little more proactive. By level 12 hopefully you've managed to visit all three planets. When during your travels you find a group of players that make the game enjoyable for you, make sure you send them your partner card. They'll return the favor. This is the easiest way to build up a decent group of people to play with.

This advice may go against the grain, but if you want to find people, stick to the more populated universes. There's little point in having an official universe (15) if the vast majority of the time it's empty. I personally like to hang out on Universe 2, since it's populated enough to find people without a ton of effort, but it lacks a lot of the retardation and spam found in Universe 1.

As for PSOW... well, since I'm one of the less popular posters here I don't have a large collection of cards from this site in particular, but the few I do have belong to some pretty decent people, like Nyasia (Sychosis) and Tahldon. I like to think that I'm not all that bad myself either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sekani on 2007-01-04 06:39 ]</font>

Kimil
Jan 4, 2007, 09:51 AM
I've found just random parties have build a few good friends I play with a lot on PSU
So far, just this girl Kiske and this guy Blanche. But when ever their on I play with them and their both fun to play with

Meety new Ppl through random parties, and just talk to them, strike up fun convos and play with them again. Make an online firned! lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2007-01-04 06:52 ]</font>

panzer_unit
Jan 4, 2007, 09:55 AM
The Uni02 trick for meeting people is a good one.

If you want to hurry the process along, go to Uni01 and post an unlocked mission. Kick anyone who's just another idiot, or if you want to be more polite trade partner cards only with the cool kids then mail them that you're jumping to Uni02 in order to ditch the jerks.

SabZero
Jan 4, 2007, 10:07 AM
Maybe there should be a once-a-week psow meetup (maybe twice that day, for timezone differences). Just a 10 minute window or something, if people feel helpful or are looking for teams...

Omega_Weltall
Jan 4, 2007, 10:44 AM
Starting off is easy, once you pic your character, do the missions in Linear Line on the Guardians Colony ( you start there so it should be easy to find) then once you hit about lv 10 or 15 go to Parum and do the 1st mission there( i forget what its called) once you beat that you go to Raffon(sp?) Field and then you do Plains Overlord, the boss is a big techno dragon-like creature called De Ragan (DRagon! get it ^_^) anyway, once you beat it you cancel the mission ( if you're not leader then the leader WILL do it). When the mission is canceled you'll go back to Raffon Field and you can do the mission over again, oh there's another mission you can pick in that area but dont bother none of the cool people do it. So you do Plains Overlord C at lv's 10-20+ er so, (i'm just guessing some probley do it earlier). Dont worry, if it gets too easy as you lv up there's other missions called Plains Overlord B, Plains Overlord A, and I think they'er gonna release a new mission (if its not allready released i'm not so sure) called Plains Overlord S. I think you have to be lv 50+ to survive that one! There's 2 other planets but no one goes there but for weapons and to grind weapons from the other manufacturers. Currently the lv cap is 60 but its gonna go up to 70 soon and they'er gonna release a Plains Overlord SS eventualy! So dont worry about getting started. Once you get to Raffon Field on Parum you'er set! Just do Plains Overlord over and over and over AND OVER AND F*#%ING OVER LIKE THERE'S NO OTHER MISSIONS TO DO! I MEAN COME ON PEOPLE! There's more game out there then Plains goddamn Overlord C,B,A, and eventualy S and SS! I MEAN FOR F^$@S SAKE THERES 2 OTHER PLANETS, A SPACE STATION AND ANOTHER SATLLITE! WHY DO DE-RAGON RUNS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AD INFINITUM (that means to infinity for you non latin speakers)! Ah screw this, no use ranting cause its not gonna do anything, but make me feel bad... i'm gonna play Gutar Hero 2 !

(sorry for the wall o text I'm just angry ^_^)

Sychosis
Jan 4, 2007, 10:57 AM
If you were on 360 you could hang with me Omega. I hate De Ragan runs and can't really stand grinding the same stage over and over. 3 is my limit before I veg out and stop communicating all together http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Omega_Weltall
Jan 4, 2007, 11:04 AM
PC/PS2 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I work nights so i play between 6:00am and 12:00noon i'm off allday fridays and seen the population during peak hours and its no diffrent. So in the mornings when i get off i'm allready tired trying to play and on top of grinding off De-Ragon runs bout 90 times makes me dose off, and i've done it... on MANY occasions. heh its why i stoped playing for a week.

Xtian913
Jan 4, 2007, 12:41 PM
Like so many people have said, if you dont know anyone already that plays the game, just keep joining random parties and slowly you will make reliable friends who you can start partying with on a frequest basis. I got really lucky that I already had a friend in real life who was way into PSU and had a party that needed a Force, so I was hired. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kalent
Jan 4, 2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all the useful posts, I'm gonna be taking a bit from all of them. As far as friends go, I've met some cool people, but it seems like they quit 2 days later, I never see them on http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I'll be on Universe 2 for a bit, names Kalent. If ya see me say hey!