PDA

View Full Version : PSU's added features and updates

Serephim
Jan 4, 2007, 11:08 PM
So from what ive heard, PSU has all its updates simply compressed and hidden away in the disc.

After all of them are released, will Sonic Team be able to add more to the game?

I dunno about you, but storing Models/textures and game patches on a 8MB memory card is simply unheard of. This game has some amazing looking weapons, but not NEARLY as many rares as PSO- PSOBB had.

Most of PSOBB's new awesome weapons are actully patched into the game...

..But the PS2 doesnt have a Harddrive, and no memory cards that can hold that many additions to the game. I dont think that Sonic Team can create server-side ITEMS that we can use...

Does this mean the PS2 version (which i have, btw.) is eventually doomed for being trashed in favor for the PC/360 versions? I know that they release Expansion Discs for the game, but as far as i know Expansion Discs are ment to be added to an already installed programs, and if this game continues to grow, a single expansion disc wont be able to hold all of its content. Besides, who wants to continue paying for a game on PS2 that we already bought when PC users can simply download the expansion from a website?

Anyone with an idea on the subject please respond. With the path their taking the PS2 version is pretty much doomed ; either their going to make us pay for an expansion disc, pay for a Harddrive, Pay for a super huge spaced Memory Card, or ditch our version completely.

BloodDragoon
Jan 4, 2007, 11:11 PM
My PS2 has a hard drive... >.>

Serephim
Jan 4, 2007, 11:22 PM
Its not supported.

And if it is, they havent told us to use it.

If they just upp and say "YOU CANT PLAY PSU WITHOUT A HARDDRIVE" then not only will they lose almost the entire Ps2 population, they'll piss the current users off that have to come out the pocket.

And besides, the new Slimline PS2 (the one i have, btw.) doesnt have harddrive support anyway.

And i doubt Sonic Team would ask us to use an unoffical USB harddrive either, unless they supply us with one, which would STILL piss current users off and lose them a shitload of the paying population.

BloodDragoon
Jan 4, 2007, 11:31 PM
Well rumors I've heard claim there is an expansion disk in the works atm. We'll just have to see if they're true.

nooblet
Jan 5, 2007, 01:33 AM
anyone remember EQoA? It didnt need the HD and there was an expansion disc for it too.

ShinMaruku
Jan 5, 2007, 01:38 AM
What Sega should do is set up a PNP version of this gem in full 1800p glory then I can OD

Itsuki
Jan 5, 2007, 02:03 AM
Most of the expansion disc rumors stemmed from mistranslations. But who knows~ it could always be in the works.

As for weapons and such, they're relatively small. Perhaps later on they can add to the required size of the ps2 save file. All in all, new weapons should be able to be added fine. Maybe not too too many. But they'd probably only be a few kilobytes at most.

Proff
Jan 5, 2007, 02:09 AM
I'd be happy with a patch that lets the ps2 version run in 480p.

Pentence
Jan 5, 2007, 02:16 AM
Well wouldnt an exp[ansion possibly have no offline mode and perhapes uses a preload system?Like you pop in disc one to get online and acess certain things then it holds certain amounts of data in the ram as you switch to the allout online expansion.

Garnet_Moon
Jan 5, 2007, 02:23 AM
Or they could just drop the offline stuff altogether and add in useful stuff for the online players. Y'know, same game we have online, only with added stages, enemies, items, etc. Without the expansion ya can't get certain items, or go to the new stages, but you can trade and buy these items from shops. Can't mimic going to new maps though.

Just a thought. I mean seriously. Who just plays offline? I say drop it altogether. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Serephim
Jan 5, 2007, 07:12 PM
Im guessing if they were to make an Expansion Disc, it wouldnt have Offline support.

Regardless, if they make us pay for the Expansion Disc they would be Screwing over all the PS2 people who already bought the game.

Arislan
Jan 5, 2007, 07:59 PM
How so? We'd all have to buy the disc.

Sinue_v2
Jan 5, 2007, 08:02 PM
Or they could just drop the offline stuff altogether and add in useful stuff for the online players.

Go

To

Hell.

Eliash
Jan 5, 2007, 08:04 PM
PC probably will be able to get the game off online, like they can with the current game. Personally I think if they release an expansion they may try to update the offline mode a bit, maybe even add a new offline mode. I don't know why I think that but call it a feeling if you well.

BloodDragoon
Jan 5, 2007, 08:04 PM
On 2007-01-05 17:02, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Or they could just drop the offline stuff altogether and add in useful stuff for the online players.

Go

To

Hell.

Been there, done that. Got the T-shirt and I own a summer home down there. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Inspektahdek
Jan 5, 2007, 08:32 PM
this site is supposedly supposed to be the cover or atleast concept art of the expansion game

http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/secret/

hence the word "secret" in the URL, seems plausible to me!!

Kirip-san
Jan 5, 2007, 08:40 PM
On 2007-01-05 16:12, Serephim wrote:
Im guessing if they were to make an Expansion Disc, it wouldnt have Offline support.

Regardless, if they make us pay for the Expansion Disc they would be Screwing over all the PS2 people who already bought the game.

Uhh, FFXI did the same thing, and it still maintains a healthy playerbase~nyo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kirip-san on 2007-01-05 17:40 ]</font>

Vyslain
Jan 5, 2007, 08:50 PM
Ever been to GameFAQs? You probably know what Final Fantasy fanboyism is like if you have. >.>
Still, I can't really see how this'll work out. Slimline PS2s are currently the only way to play online(The adaptors are discontinued), and Slimlines don't have hard drive support. Maybe they'll have some external hard drive thing to use. I have no clue.

BloodDragoon
Jan 5, 2007, 08:55 PM
EB Games, Gamestop, and Electronics Boutique stores in my area still have Sony assembled PS2 unit sets that contain the last version of the PS2 before the slimline. (Version that has the IR remote sensor in the unit and some other small changes.) These sets come with the online adapter pre installed in the unit. I think they had some ATV game with online multiplayer capability packaged with them as well. >.>

R2D6battlebot
Jan 5, 2007, 09:00 PM
so what does al this mean for people with the oldest ps2 model with the broadband adapter bought seperately? is there a hard drive in those ones?

Vyslain
Jan 5, 2007, 09:02 PM
No, There's no hard drive. It has hard drive support, Yes. But only if you can get one.
My old chunky PS2 is one of the first-generation ones. It has no network adaptor. I was basically forced to buy a slimline. .-.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vyslain on 2007-01-05 18:03 ]</font>

BloodDragoon
Jan 5, 2007, 09:09 PM
The older PS2 models had HDD support but the only real market for that accessory in the US was the PS2 version of FFXI which came with the game pre installed on the HDD itself. Expansion disks work for PS2 FFXI because the disks are actually installed on the HDD itself as is all the patches. Other than that FFXI doesn't use the actual DVD-ROM drive in the PS2 at all during gameplay. PSU would probably run better this way on my PS2 but the issue there is finding a way to make it work that way. >.>

Mikedot
Jan 6, 2007, 01:21 AM
Speaking of which... Maybe I should try loading PSU on my HDD using HDLoader to cut down load times. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Serephim
Jan 6, 2007, 02:20 AM
Yea, so basically Sonic Team HAS doomed the ps2 players.

Im not going to re-buy an expansion disc to this game because Sonic Team was too stupid to realize that the ps2 would eventually need a memory expansion. Why should i pay for something you could get off the website/ DL on your 360 harddrive for free?

And god FORBID Sonic Team trusted that all ps2 people are getting a ps3, beacause i have NO intentions of shelling out $600 for a fucking shiny oven with Blu-ray support and a Controller with stolen technology and no rumble.

I might as well go find a way to get the pc version then. PSU was going to be the FIRST game i ever payed to play, but now im seeing that they already messed up something with so much potental by not thinking 5 seconds infront of the Launch Date...