PDA

View Full Version : Still having serious slowdown problems on 360.

-Shimarisu-
Jan 5, 2007, 10:18 PM
I still need advice. I'm getting paid soon so money isssues are all over, and I was considering a hard drive. People have said it will reduce slowdown from not loading off the game disc all the time, and that it has some cache memory the 360 uses.

When I say slowdown, I mean I'm having GRAPHICAL slowdown. It's not lag. My server connection is fine. And when I say serious, I mean I'm severely limited in my playstyle. I can't run to people and heal them in time. This is bad because I play guntecher. I cannot play in parum at all. Can't play in groups of more than 2 or 3. I get minimal slowdown in Neudaiz, but elsewhere is just terrible. Well, VoC is fine UNTIL I join a big party. I can't even play in Parum relics in a party of TWO.

There is nothing apparently wrong with my 360. It plays my sole other game with no slowdown. It doesn't overheat. It just doesn't have a harddrive. Another issue I'm considering is that people tell me that the NA copy of PSU states it is version 1.000001 or something, it has a 1 on the end regardless. Mine is 1.00000. It hasn't changed. It's the JP version and I'm worried that thanks to the small sales they aren't patching it for issues that the NA version MAY be being patched for. But then again it could be the fact I have no hard drive that means I have no "1" on the end. So if you don't have a harddrive either, what does yours ssay?

I potentially have to spend a lot of money to fix this and it's very upsetting for me. I have a few options.

1. Buy a harddrive. May fix it?
2. Buy an NA copy of the game. Thing is will it let me use my same characters? They are regged as JP region now, even my shop only works for JP searches.
3. Test the game on a US 360. Thing is it won't be my 360, so I won't be able to test going online. I'd have to find an offline portion with bad slowdown and try that. I'd have to play right through to that area on both systems. It may basically tell me nothing. Or I could pay for my friend to buy an account and use that. I don't know what to do.

Well this is all extremely fucking irritating and it's ruining the game. I feel crippled. Yes, I know it's just me. Know how I tell? Well, I watch everyone slowdown as bad as I am apparently doing. Their PA animation moves at a crawl. THEN, they are suddenly over halfway into the second animation. Like a jumpcut. Because the animation played at the right speed for them. Meanwhile I'm crawling.

I have tried various fixes and made it marginally better but all it means is I can now play in small parties but I'm still fucked for big ones. Also my display is terrible, I'm in the lowest resolution and my sound is turned off because it causes slowdown. How the hell do I fix it? Please somebody help me out.

Sychosis
Jan 5, 2007, 10:27 PM
Hmmm, Maybe I can disconnect my HDD and try things out for ya. See what version type I get and how the slowdown changes.

PALRAPPYS
Jan 5, 2007, 10:28 PM
...well Shimarisu, I don't know what to do if I were you. Buy a harddrive maybe? I've had some slowdown problems, but then again, I don't care about it, and there's hardly any. Every once in a while it happens though.

I don't think JP PSU has anything to do with your game. There ARE Japanese players out here too; ones actually IN Japan, and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the server of all 360 PSU is here in America.

You may not want to buy a harddrive just yet though-- in case it DOESN'T fix it. >>

-Shimarisu-
Jan 5, 2007, 10:39 PM
I feel like crying, just learned something that might mean I quit PSU because I can't even bring myself to play ATM, it's a chatroom and all I do is solo because the slowdown is just too bad.

Sychosis
Jan 5, 2007, 10:39 PM
Well I can tell you right now it reverted to ver 1.00000 or whatever. So it seems whatever updates there are, you can't get a hold of...

I can only test story mode though, since I have no memory card :/

Esufer
Jan 5, 2007, 10:55 PM
I've got a Hard-drive, and the PAL version of PSU, and it works alright, except when there are a stupid amount of enemies on screen, or trees are falling over. Can you not try it out on another 360 by recovering your account to another 360 for a short time? Me and my friend do that to play halo 2 all the time, so i figure it might work to test it out online on a harddrived 360.

Sekani
Jan 5, 2007, 11:09 PM
Can't you just return the hard drive if if doesn't help you out? Or do stores in Japan not have return policies?

Sychosis
Jan 5, 2007, 11:29 PM
Well, I couldn't find much slowdown in chapter 1 at all. But then again I could only get a party of me and the Vol idiots.

Sorry I can't be of any more help http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

PMB960
Jan 5, 2007, 11:47 PM
My question is what other game do you have? Is it GeOW? If it is then I would say it isn't a HDD problem. If it is a game that is similar to PSU graphics wise it could be lack of HDD since PSU is poorly coded. Try playing it on a 360 with a HDD. Also if it is a patch issue you would need a HDD because I think it has to store it somwhere so that is why you don't have the 1 on the end. Remember all the other data is on the disc and just needs to be unlocked but extra patches need a HDD. I have a feeling it maybe a patch issue but I would try it on a 360 with a HDD first.

-Shimarisu-
Jan 6, 2007, 03:03 PM
I'd say it was quite similar, from what I have played of Blue Dragon it isn't THAT visually stunning. Certainly better than PSU but that's to be expected. I noticed no slowdown, even spinning the stick round to rotate the view quickly.

LOL Gears of War. D: Can't stand gritty, violent games. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

PMB960
Jan 6, 2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah then the problem is probably lack of HDD then. They they probably do have an update to fix the slowdown but since you don't have a HDD you can't download that patch. I really don't think it could be just your 360 if you don't have a problem with other games. The easiest thing to do would be to buy an HDD although I don't know if you want to pay for it.

EC_Subbie
Jan 6, 2007, 05:29 PM
I play on 360 with a hdd and I still get slowdown since the game itself wasn't ported well from the ps2. I guess I've just gotten used to it, but it's not really crippling me in the gameplay department. I heard turning sound off on pc would help, but never tried it on 360 so I don't know if that would help too.

AlieNxxxxxxxx
Jan 6, 2007, 06:46 PM
I never lag when I am on on my 360... Maybe it is just the people you play with? They might live way across the world from you... Or maybe you have one of those shitty 360's that burnup.

Sychosis
Jan 6, 2007, 07:56 PM
The kind of slowdown Shim describes is really, REALLY bad. To the point where even duoing is nearly unplayable. Not just falling tree lag, or rafoie 30 in your face lag.

If it was a problem with the 360 I doubt Blue Dragon would run as well as it does. Which is why the missing HDD sounds like the culprit. It also isn't her disc as she's had 2 copies of it already.

And I know it isn't regular internet lag, Arawen and I were helping a level 5 JP guy last night (Shim will attest to that, I had to seek her help with some Japanese so he would stop trying to communicate mid battle to us http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) and we didn't see anything even remotely out of the ordinary.

Tarathiel
Jan 6, 2007, 08:00 PM
if you were listening at all he/she said (s)he WASN'T lagging and it was just slowdown http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tarathiel on 2007-01-06 17:01 ]</font>

PMB960
Jan 6, 2007, 11:20 PM
Again it is probably because they are missing a patch because you cannot patch games without a HDD there is no place to download the patch to. If it was lag you would actually be moving slower than other players as I sometimes see with others on the PC/PS2 servers.

-Shimarisu-
Jan 8, 2007, 07:07 AM
Done. Some reports.

It still runs like ass compared to the PC version on a graphics card that will run it comfortably in high setting. I'm really not impressed.

The Japanese release did not update to 1.00001, but is still stuck in 1.0000. Going to see if it updates on the 12th.

Some good news:

My weapons load in faster, noticed that right away. It's not a huge impact on gameplay but it alleviates some of the slow gameplay troubles that bugged me so much.

I can now play in Parum with minimal slowdown. Tested with a PM and Laia solo, then later with my friend in Parum relics. I couldn't BEAR that area before, so it's something.

I can play in 6 player parties with minimal slowdown PROVIDED there isn't a Fortetecher spamming level 21+ techs. Really people, have a heart. If the party goes up to 6 people, could you keep it to simple techs (foie doesn't slow everyone down), bows and support? It wrecks the gameplay utterly otherwise. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif It's not your fault, I understand but it DOES ruin the gameplay.

Hell, I don't even know how people play in such big parties anyway. Back on PC I hated it, because it made the game too easy. On 360 it plain makes it unplayable. I'm going to try to keep to 4 player parties, but it sucks to have to check who's in a party beforehand. Today I was running Mizuraki S. 6 people in the party, no forces, no slowdown. The party dispersed later, and I had the option to join a party with FOUR Fortetechers. I didn't take it. That must be hell on earth, I'd throw my 360 out of the window after 2 minutes of that.

I was spoiled horribly by my PC. What's funny is all the people who told me it was crap at the time. A P4 running AGP (or whatever the fuck the outdated slot is called) Geforce 6800 GS made PSU run wonderfully. All those people complaining of slowdown, I just shrugged and thought "What?" Christ I didn't even have a gig of memory.

However I made the decision to play on a secure platform and I'll have to live with it. Even the Japanese PSU has had a small amount of hacking according to reports. And people selling wads of meseta on Japanese auction sites. Could be quitters, but I just don't know.

Magician
Jan 8, 2007, 07:15 AM
Meh, welcome to PSU on console, the slowdown is normal here.

After watching the Ultimate PA vids...

Example: http://67.15.2.5/~libra/m/pa_ac_r2.wmv

...ahahaha, yeah, it'll never run that smooth.

Get use to the way it runs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Magician on 2007-01-08 04:17 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Jan 8, 2007, 07:16 AM
If only you could just knock the framerate down, it sucks that they don't allow that.

SuperRygar
Jan 8, 2007, 08:18 AM
you really should try turning the sound off in the options. it worked for ps2 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PMB960
Jan 8, 2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah that is basically as good as it gets. And yes even on my PC with an Althlon 64 3700 overclocked to 2.53, an X1800 XT, and 2GB of Corsair RAM the game still slows down when you use gidiga looking from the right angle. Hell I can run Oblivion with everything just about maxxed except AA and that runs better. The only thing you can do is to try to spin the camera so you are not looking at all your teamates at once it helps alot. Just hope no one does the chat buble and picture of their character. I managed to d/c half the party when I cast gidiga and someone does this.

Akaimizu
Jan 8, 2007, 01:07 PM
Very true. This game can use a bit of optimization, on every platform. Still, compared to Neverwinter Nights 2, this runs like an absolute beauty.

I still don't know why it takes more hardware to run Neverwinter Nights 2 (generally a top/down 3D RPG, looking nowhere near Oblivion) than just about any other PC game out there (save a very understandable Flight Simulator X, given the insane graphics it throws around).

Thrash777
Jan 8, 2007, 02:05 PM
I only get slowdown on Story Missions, and storage menus (accessing the server).

Apart from that, my item menus, and party formations seem fine, with exception of 6 players in a party when all hell breaks loose with voice lag

foamcup
Jan 8, 2007, 03:01 PM
*hugs his PC*

30 FPS at all times!

(would prefer 60, but that can wait for vid card upgrade)

Garnet_Moon
Jan 8, 2007, 03:12 PM
On 2007-01-08 12:01, foamcup wrote:
*hugs his PC*

30 FPS at all times!

Well, PC is always the answer because it's perfect, but Shim hates the PC/PS2 servers because he's afraid of being hacked. So he went out and bought a 360 for PSU.

As for the thread itself? I have nothing to contribute except quoting what foamcup said with more of an emphasis on the "*hugs his PC*" part.

Try turning the sound and music off. That seems to help some on the PS2, so maybe it'll work for you too.

-Shimarisu-
Jan 8, 2007, 06:33 PM
On 2007-01-08 12:12, Garnet_Moon wrote:

On 2007-01-08 12:01, foamcup wrote:
*hugs his PC*

30 FPS at all times!

Well, PC is always the answer because it's perfect, but Shim hates the PC/PS2 servers because he's afraid of being hacked. So he went out and bought a 360 for PSU.

As for the thread itself? I have nothing to contribute except quoting what foamcup said with more of an emphasis on the "*hugs his PC*" part.

Try turning the sound and music off. That seems to help some on the PS2, so maybe it'll work for you too.

I'm not afraid of getting hacked. I REPEATEDLY goaded Nugs and co in HOPE they would hack me, because it would push me to leave. I left over hacked meseta. Get your facts straight. I'm not afraid of shit, hell I even goaded Snowfox with my gamertag in my sig.

On BB I goaded Corey and REPEATEDLY got hacked by him. It's ALWAYS the ruined economy and duping that has upset me far, far more than any direct attacks to my person, something that on BB and PSU means little anyway. OH NO MY WORTHLESS ROOM ITEMS GOT STOLEN!!!111

Anyway only you turned this into a stupid PC advocacy campaign, so let's throw in some facts shall we? PC is ruined. I simply cannot play it. Ray photons for 5000 m? You're shitting me. I left the day this started, in fact. A friend of mine linked me to a thread about the Ray photons, I saw the huge overpricing had started, so I jumped out. I didn't WANT hacked meseta, and now everyone playing the markets (what I loved to do) has to accept it or cut their own throats, I had to leave. On PSO it was possible to be legit if you simply traded with close friends. On PSU it's nigh on impossible. It's not even that I care about being a super legit. If I had received a small abount of hacked meseta I would have been OK with not knowing. It was the market being completely obliterated, so that it took zero effort to find the weapons I prided myself on making/collecting/selling, that made me leave.

At any rate 90% of everyone I know has slowdown on PC, it seems I simply struck it lucky with the perfect hardware to run it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2007-01-08 15:42 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Jan 8, 2007, 06:45 PM
On 2007-01-08 10:03, PMB960 wrote:
The only thing you can do is to try to spin the camera so you are not looking at all your teamates at once it helps alot.

That's basically impossible when you play a support ranger.