PDA

View Full Version : will sega...

burning_card
Jan 9, 2007, 04:56 PM
Will sega ever make any kind of downloadable content for extra mode, like missions and such? I'm in extra mode right now, going to be online soon but when the servers and stuff shut down do you think there will be downloadables for the offline? It says it "never ends" but i disagree with how it is now lol.

DBZWWE
Jan 9, 2007, 04:59 PM
nop

burning_card
Jan 9, 2007, 05:00 PM
Bummer, it would have been nic.e They did it for PSO, downloadable missions and such.

DBZWWE
Jan 9, 2007, 05:01 PM
Its sega.Wat do you expect?

burning_card
Jan 9, 2007, 05:03 PM
Lol that's true i guess. I wish sega treated us consumers better, but i guess it falls into the same category as wishing for supernatural powers or wishing to win the mega bucks.

Eliash
Jan 9, 2007, 05:14 PM
If you are worried about PSU servers being shut down, you don't have to worry for a while. Look at how long PSO's servers have been up. Only now are they starting to take them down. So you'll have erm... rougly 6+ years before you have to worry at all I would say.

BLACKR0SE
Jan 9, 2007, 05:15 PM
On 2007-01-09 14:14, Eliash wrote:
If you are worried about PSU servers being shut down, you don't have to worry for a while. Look at how long PSO's servers have been up. Only now are they starting to take them down. So you'll have erm... rougly 6+ years before you have to worry at all I would say.

By year 3 the servers will be basically dead.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Eliash
Jan 9, 2007, 05:16 PM
Dead...maybe but not shut down!

VanHalen
Jan 9, 2007, 05:19 PM
i think they might add content for extra mode like how PSO had downloadable quest to play offline.

BLACKR0SE
Jan 9, 2007, 05:20 PM
I doubt it because of the PS2.They wouldnt leaave us with nothing....

Eliash
Jan 9, 2007, 05:22 PM
Personally I think they will just add onto offline through expansions (assuming they are making them, I heard several rumors about it). The reason for my thinking this? Simple: PS2 memory cards are already small as is, adding content for offline will limit the amount of content they can do online for security patches and game data. If they don't make expansions I wouldn't hope for much in terms of offline content TBH. All of this is of course IMO.

EDIT: Word order fix.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eliash on 2007-01-09 14:23 ]</font>

VanHalen
Jan 9, 2007, 05:23 PM
yeah you can download them on to the ps2 doesnt that thing have a harddrive?

well then again i wouldnt know since i dont own a PS2 i picked dreamcast when i was little.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-01-09 14:24 ]</font>

Eliash
Jan 9, 2007, 05:25 PM
The HD isn't supported due to the slim PS2. So all you have is the size of the memory card to work with.

BloodDragoon
Jan 9, 2007, 05:25 PM
They may or may not. Depends on the userbase at that time and how large said mission files would be.

Afterall they felt the need to make a plus version of Ep 1&2 for the GC.

The corporate world runs on money, not ideals...

If they don't project any profit from doing it then it won't happen. That doesn't make them assholes, it's simply business logic...

BloodDragoon
Jan 9, 2007, 05:27 PM
On 2007-01-09 14:25, Eliash wrote:
The HD isn't supported due to the slim PS2. So all you have is the size of the memory card to work with.

Which is why you tweak your PS2 to use USB flashdrives for memory cards. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

BLACKR0SE
Jan 9, 2007, 05:28 PM
Only fat ps2s can use the hard drive and mine died so now i got a slim

Eliash
Jan 9, 2007, 05:30 PM
If SEGA was to make content based on that, then everyone would either have buy one (makes for unhappy customers and potential quitters), or miss out on content (which also makes for uphappy customers and potential quitters). From a bussiness perspective, I doubt that SEGA would go out of their way to make content that may upset part of their playerbase simply because they need additonal hardware in order to play the game, otherwize they are left behind.

EDIT: Unless they make the content downloadable to different card just for offline missions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eliash on 2007-01-09 14:32 ]</font>

burning_card
Jan 9, 2007, 05:31 PM
Why wouldn't the PS2 card work well enough for downloads? I had a gamecube and the downloadable missions could be held on a gamecube memory unit (which was a lot smaller then the ps2 carfds) so i don't think it would be a problem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: burning_card on 2007-01-09 14:32 ]</font>

BLACKR0SE
Jan 9, 2007, 05:32 PM
Um....8mb wow so much. :|

burning_card
Jan 9, 2007, 05:34 PM
exactly my point. If my GCN card (Which was a bit smaller) could hold downloadables, why cant they make downloads for this? I don't think the graphics are THAT much better, so it's not like they have to take up too much space...

VanHalen
Jan 9, 2007, 05:35 PM
On 2007-01-09 14:30, Eliash wrote:
If SEGA was to make content based on that, then everyone would either have buy one (makes for unhappy customers and potential quitters), or miss out on content (which also makes for uphappy customers and potential quitters). From a bussiness perspective, I doubt that SEGA would go out of their way to make content that may upset part of their playerbase simply because they need additonal hardware in order to play the game, otherwize they are left behind.

EDIT: Unless they make the content downloadable to different card just for offline missions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eliash on 2007-01-09 14:32 ]</font>

are you serious people quit for missing a few things? lol thats pretty sad imo. i had PSO for Dreamcast and Gamecube i never went online with either so i never saw the downloadable quest and didnt get mad about that or quit playing i enjoyed every second. the only thing i wanted was to play with people so i got the Gamecube one so my sister and my friend can play.

Eliash
Jan 9, 2007, 05:35 PM
Well, I think I heard that SEGA will had plans to support the game for 7 years. Assuming that they keep to this, 8mb isn't going to satify alot of people unless they release very small updates. Besides wait a 1/2 a week after the next update is released and you'll see that small updates won't suffice for a lot of people.

I'm not sure if the support for 7 years is true or not, so don't quote me on that.

BloodDragoon
Jan 9, 2007, 05:39 PM
And you can guy a 128mb or 256mb flash drive for about the price of a PS2 memory card now so why isn't everyone getting mad at sony for overpriced memory storage? >.>

Eliash
Jan 9, 2007, 05:40 PM
Some people aren't patient and want everything. Trust me... I've heard people quit over every little thing. In my old MMORPG someone quit because the next update is going to remove sitting from actually being a benefit to healing health/endurance/power since now you recover the same amount while standing. So yes, people will quit for things like that.

burning_card
Jan 9, 2007, 05:40 PM
On 2007-01-09 14:35, Eliash wrote:
Well, I think I heard that SEGA will had plans to support the game for 7 years. Assuming that they keep to this, 8mb isn't going to satify alot of people unless they release very small updates. Besides wait a 1/2 a week after the next update is released and you'll see that small updates won't suffice for a lot of people.

I'm not sure if the support for 7 years is true or not, so don't quote me on that.

Like vanhalen, i was one of the people that played al ot of PSO offline as well. Small updates like extra clothing, some missions in which you could get new weapons (axes and such, online exclusive things) would be great updates, and still would be small enough to hold on a memory unit. While large updates like new planets or something would be a bit extreem and only used for the 360 and PC (since the PS2 couldn't hold it) it's still possible for them to makes updates like that for the majority of their user base. Two out of three systems can hold the updates, looking at how sega is, if they could sell updates or maybe even sell more of their product because of the updates, i think they would take it even though they leave the PS2 out of most of it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: burning_card on 2007-01-09 14:43 ]</font>

Eliash
Jan 9, 2007, 05:46 PM
I'm not saying that it would be impossible, just unlikly to see it in the form of a download. And as for leaving the PS2 behind that would not be smart unless like you said they can be sure they will attract more customers with the updates. But why should they leave the PS2 behind (after all they did design the game for that system) when they can simply make more money and perhaps more customers by releasing an expansion disk with all the content already there just waiting to be unlocked (as they are doing now). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

VanHalen
Jan 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
hmm thats a good point right there. instead of putting on offline content one by one just put it all on one disc saves alot of memory.

PMB960
Jan 9, 2007, 05:51 PM
On 2007-01-09 14:31, burning_card wrote:
Why wouldn't the PS2 card work well enough for downloads? I had a gamecube and the downloadable missions could be held on a gamecube memory unit (which was a lot smaller then the ps2 carfds) so i don't think it would be a problem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: burning_card on 2007-01-09 14:32 ]</font>

GC save files are also much much much smaller than PS2 ones. Different systems use different types of files with different amounts of compression so it doesn't always work out that way.

burning_card
Jan 9, 2007, 05:51 PM
On 2007-01-09 14:46, Eliash wrote:
I'm not saying that it would be impossible, just unlikly to see it in the form of a download. And as for leaving the PS2 behind that would not be smart unless like you said they can be sure they will attract more customers with the updates. But why should they leave the PS2 behind (after all they did design the game for that system) when they can simply make more money and perhaps more customers by releasing an expansion disk with all the content already there just waiting to be unlocked (as they are doing now). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Well like i said, they would be more extreeme updates that the PS2 wouldn't be able to hold, and we all know sega (they wouldn't take the time to makes updates for offline that were that large) but thingsl ike costumes and missions wouldn't be unlikely, since the memory unit could easily hold it. (Save games for games like elder scrolls oblivion are 4mb, and the patches and updates for it aren't large, and thats much much larger of a game then this is) so i don't think it would be improbable for some updates for extra mode. They say it's endless...but updates would be nice.

I just figured i would ask what people think since Sega did take the time to make an offline extra mode. I remember when everyone said that Sega was just planning a story mode offline and A LOt of people were dissapointed. Maybe if people was updates in download form they might do it.

But an expansion like PSO + would be good too, i would buy it...if i could transfer my character.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: burning_card on 2007-01-09 14:52 ]</font>

burning_card
Jan 9, 2007, 05:54 PM
On 2007-01-09 14:51, PMB960 wrote:

On 2007-01-09 14:31, burning_card wrote:

GC save files are also much much much smaller than PS2 ones. Different systems use different types of files with different amounts of compression so it doesn't always work out that way.

Even so, the saves were smaller so the downloads were smaller for the GCN, like you said. The downloads that PSO had could still be held on a memory unit, even if the saves would be larger (which they wouldn't be that much larger, the compression rates aren't too significantly larger.)

Look at multi platform games like prince of persia, the save fiels are of the same space ratio for each system for the most part. Heck, even look at PSO for the Xbox and GCN, not that much different in the file space.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: burning_card on 2007-01-09 14:59 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jan 9, 2007, 09:00 PM
The thing about downloadable content that you're forgetting is that in PSO, in order to get the downloadable content, you had to pay your HL fee. If you're going to be paying the fee, then why the hell just not play online in the first place?

KojiroAK
Jan 9, 2007, 09:37 PM
AFAIK on PSO the downloadable quests, did only hold area pattern, monster spawn points, switch places, barrier places, rock places and stuff like this.

So they had only to save a. which object b. on which place.
Which only uses text file space.

CrabRangoon
Jan 9, 2007, 10:04 PM
I am no Sega fanboy, but I hate it when people say crap like "what do you expect? I mean, it is SEGA..." yeah, its just the company and development team that got you hooked at one point over the past 6 years, and still has you hooked :rolleyes:

Ill tell you that SEGA develops this for their core market: Japan. Demands of the Japanese are far more likely to be met than ours. The patches, updates, and expansions they recieve are the same things we will (eventually) get. Im almost certain that this game is going to get monthly or bi-monthly updates, whether you deem them small or worthwhile IDK, but I think after the ball really gets rolling, itll be fine, and less complaints. I dont know how frequent or serious PSO updates and DL contents were '(as I quit 6mo after Ver2 was on DC, and later played a 3 months on XBox later), but I think they are now past the point of "lets finish releasing content that ws supposed to be ready@ launch, and release real updates" which at 1+/mo isnt soooo bad.

I hope the downloadable missions and additions are in the future, as well as worthwhile. They are definately something I could stand paying $5 or so for, not that an extra $5 from all active online players is tempting in the eyes of large companies =

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CrabRangoon on 2007-01-09 22:37 ]</font>

VanHalen
Jan 9, 2007, 10:18 PM
On 2007-01-09 19:04, CrabRangoon wrote:
I am no Sega fanboy, but I hate it when people say crap like "what do you expect? Oi mean, it is SEGA..." yeah, its just the company and development team that got you hooked at one point over the past 6 years, and still has you hooked :rolleyes:

i agree with you there a site full of sega fans(including me of course lol) talk about sega like its a garbage company but yet they'll be the 1st in stores to buy their products.

Pengfishh
Jan 10, 2007, 03:54 AM
By the time all the content is unlocked, we'll have an expansion around the corner. GUARANTEED!