PDA

View Full Version : Are you safe? Common Box Vs. PM Storage

AzureBlaze
Jan 10, 2007, 02:01 PM
Maybe you saw the other topic where someone's common box got robbed by an accidental room-enter-er.

If that's true, then you can't store things in the common box any longer then to do an immideate switch.
The sticky topic at the top of this forum does NOT mention the common box as rob-able.

IS IT TRUE
That these 'break ins' can rob your common?

If it is, everything would have to always be stored in the PM, and item passing would go back to the way it was in PSO, where you hassle thru giving it to a friend to hold while you sign off/on again--made extra fun by the limited trade window. It also creates the hassle as people used this thing as a second bank if the pm got filled.

Is my PM safe?
It would be utterly CRIPPLING if it wasn't. If they can only feed things to it...yea that'll kill it and steal your synth ability, but you wouldn't have to tote every valuble you owned on your person at all times. If you did, most people have more then 60 things they don't want rid of, so no one could ever pick up something new.

Can they get in if I DONT have a store?
We already know locking your room/store does nothing to halt this. I never had a store on my main...The problem with it is the randomness of it, that it is indeed a real 'error' that isn't done on purpose or repeatable at will by badguys or good. It makes tracking down hard answers difficult.

We need some sort of repair to that sticky topic up there, in my opinion. Something that answers easily the following questions:

*Can they get in if I DONT have a store?
*Is my PM inventory safe in the event of a break-in?
*IS IT TRUE That these 'break ins' can rob your common box?

Fran
Jan 10, 2007, 02:12 PM
Want to stay absolutely as SAFE as possible? Follow my steps (and feel free to sticky this).

1. For all of your main characters, never, ever go browsing other people's shops, or go to any room's but your friend's rooms.
2. Never, ever open a shop on your main characters.
3. Only accept friend card's from people you really know, because once you give it out they can enter your room.
4. Create a bank alt to go browsing other shops with. Do not level his PM at all. Do not decorate his room at all. Never visit his room on your main characters.
5. Use the Shared Storage only for transferring items, don't leave valuables in there for long.
6. The safest place to keep your money and valuables is on your own character, even if you are super, super, super rich it is still probably the best idea to carry around your money.
7. As long as you don't browse shops on your main characters, and you know all the people you sent your friend card to, your PM should be a safe place to store items, since people you don't know won't be able to enter your room.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fran on 2007-01-10 11:13 ]</font>

XGalvatronX
Jan 10, 2007, 02:23 PM
Is this happening on the 360 also, or just the PC/Ps2 side?

Shadow_Wing
Jan 10, 2007, 02:25 PM
To what I've heard, it's common to all platforms

Rashiid
Jan 10, 2007, 02:29 PM
had this day 1, never had 1 problem.

just make new characters nn place ur common box stuff in thier PM

Itchee
Jan 10, 2007, 02:30 PM
On 2007-01-10 11:25, Shadow_Wing wrote:

Yea. It can happen on the 360 too...tho I dont know how frequently it does. Shortly after release, my partner went back to his room one evening and ended up in my room....this was long before anyone was really talking about it. He thought it was odd...turned around and walked out. A week or so later we start hearing about Room mixups and PM bombings. Take precautions.

Rashiid
Jan 10, 2007, 02:54 PM
nahh locking doesnt work, because this isnt a hacking glitch, its a lag thing

u sign on, make a new character, think ur in ur room, but ur in sumone elses

no passcode needed, just str8t it

MayLee
Jan 10, 2007, 03:20 PM
On 2007-01-10 11:30, Itchee wrote:

On 2007-01-10 11:25, Shadow_Wing wrote:

Yea. It can happen on the 360 too...tho I dont know how frequently it does. Shortly after release, my partner went back to his room one evening and ended up in my room....this was long before anyone was really talking about it. He thought it was odd...turned around and walked out. A week or so later we start hearing about Room mixups and PM bombings. Take precautions.

Once I tried to enter my room and ended up in Ryogen's somehow. I don't know if it was because I tried to join his session on the Dashboard and I never got to and when I turned in for the night and gone to my room I was in His.

I wonder if the session joining had something to do with this. This happened twice.

vg_geek86
Jan 10, 2007, 03:40 PM
Hold on, I thought only ur PM name, lvl, and room decorations could be touched? Now our common box and PM items can be taken?

"It operates regardless of a locked or unlocked shop. Your shop items are not at risk however, only PM name/level/decorations."

Now your all making me paranoid. So what can really be affected in our room/shop? Can someone here plz clarify all this crap?

Itchee
Jan 10, 2007, 03:51 PM
On 2007-01-10 12:40, vg_geek86 wrote:
Hold on, I thought only ur PM name, lvl, and room decorations could be touched? Now our common box and PM items can be taken?

"It operates regardless of a locked or unlocked shop. Your shop items are not at risk however, only PM name/level/decorations."

Now your all making me paranoid. So what can really be affected in our room/shop? Can someone here plz clarify all this crap?

In terms relating to the 360, I cant really say what areas of the room are vulnerable. Everyone ive talked to thats had this happen has had enough common courtesy to turn around and walk back out the room....

night2o
Jan 10, 2007, 04:11 PM
All the hacking into Storage and Pms stuff is true... Because it happened to me.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Fran
Jan 10, 2007, 04:51 PM
Or, you just got hacked, which is almost more than likely. Hacked, as in someone got your account information, not "room hacked" which isn't even a hack but a server lag/error issue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fran on 2007-01-10 13:51 ]</font>

Tra
Jan 10, 2007, 05:14 PM
Unless you pissed somebody off really, really bad, nobody is gonna bother with your storage

Proff
Jan 10, 2007, 09:50 PM
I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that someone who mistakenly arrives in your room cannot take items from your PM's storage. I believe it's something about that storage be linked to your character but again, I may be mistaken and have no proof except that (as far as I've heard here, an on "other" forums) nobody has had their PM storage stolen from. I'm not so sure about the whole Common Box thing though. Either way, as long as you don't leave anything important in there for long (and why would you?) then I don't see any real reason to worry about it.

It really saddens me to see how paranoid most people on this forum are becoming. It IS just a game after all.

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 10, 2007, 10:48 PM
I really think you're all crazy. First of all, anything of value, you should probably carry on you anyways. If it's a synth item you're worried about, there are plenty of them. Room decorations are worthless. PMs aren't very useful on higher level missions, you're better off with a human player. If you're transferring items to another character, put it in, change characters, take it out.

Either way, it's not a big deal. Anything significant cannot be affected. They can't drop your character 20 levels. They can't reset your job levels, they can't change your PA skill level.

I have also been playing this game since day 1, and never had a problem. I've even run around giving my partner card to random people as I ran by them. If something bad has happened to you, that sucks, but it happens. Like Proff said, it is just a game after all.

THE JACKEL

Poignantswine
Jan 11, 2007, 05:20 AM
Thank you Proff, you've hit the nail right on the proverbial head.

-Shimarisu-
Jan 11, 2007, 05:56 AM
On 2007-01-10 14:14, Tra wrote:
Unless you pissed somebody off really, really bad, nobody is gonna bother with your storage

I hope you don't like wands then, cause you know, Wartechers can use those.

Natrokos
Jan 11, 2007, 11:27 AM
NO PLACE IS SAFE! LOCK YOUR DOORS! TURN OUT THE LIGHTS! PROTECT THE FIRE!

Knowbodie
Jan 11, 2007, 11:33 AM
I was transferred into my friend's room earlier this week (To his suprise). I tried to see if it allowed me to moved any decorations or take anyting out (Much to his dismay). I couldnt do anything from the storage or the common box, and then we just did some runs.

Thrash777
Jan 11, 2007, 11:37 AM
PM's hold ~400 items
Common Box holds ~60 items

vg_geek86
Jan 11, 2007, 12:21 PM
Just a game, yes, but if I get lucky on an S run, but a rare item on my PM, and it gets stollen, Im not gonna be happy. And while room decorations may not be important to you, they are to 99% of the PSU community, as every room Ive ever visited had some kind of room decoration. As far as PM's go, they may not be effective in battle, but what about the synthisizing? You forgot that little detail there buddy, and PM's take time or alot of money pending on what u use to raise it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vg_geek86 on 2007-01-11 09:22 ]</font>

nanenj
Jan 11, 2007, 01:22 PM
Neither is safe, only the items directly on your character are safe.

Akaimizu
Jan 11, 2007, 01:27 PM
On 2007-01-11 08:33, Knowbodie wrote:
I was transferred into my friend's room earlier this week (To his suprise). I tried to see if it allowed me to moved any decorations or take anyting out (Much to his dismay). I couldnt do anything from the storage or the common box, and then we just did some runs.

I kind of figured. In general, you have to find a way to get your friend's actual Player Number to *be* yours, or to somehow bypass checking altogether. How the room treats you, in terms of interface options, is tied to your own player number. So even if you happened to *be* in someone else's room. Your number should still dictate that you can't mess with peoples stuff.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-01-11 10:28 ]</font>

nanenj
Jan 11, 2007, 02:16 PM
Hackers are easily able to switch their ID clientside. That's why neither is safe.

DarkSeph
Jan 11, 2007, 06:50 PM
This is NOT happening on the 360..........it just isn't!

As for PS2/PC users.......we are already aware you are all screwed because of haxors......deal with it! Stop enciting panic on the 360 users.....nothing is gonna happen to us and that is that!

I'm not against PC/PS2 users and in fact it saddens me to no end that this is happening to them especially PC because of those beautiful! screenshots they provide but still.....it IS one of the downsides to those systems.

Kirip-san
Jan 11, 2007, 06:56 PM
On 2007-01-11 15:50, DarkSeph wrote:
This is NOT happening on the 360..........it just isn't!

As for PS2/PC users.......we are already aware you are all screwed because of haxors......deal with it! Stop enciting panic on the 360 users.....nothing is gonna happen to us and that is that!

I'm not against PC/PS2 users and in fact it saddens me to no end that this is happening to them especially PC because of those beautiful! screenshots they provide but still.....it IS one of the downsides to those systems.

The testimonies about similar issues happening on Xbox360 in this topic speak otherwise~nyo.

-Shimarisu-
Jan 11, 2007, 07:14 PM
If it happens on 360, it is extremely rare and whether or not items are stolen depends on the integrity of the player.

Mind you it happened to me. I warped to another player's room. He was there. I actually checked his PM and items to see if it thought they were mine (no intention of taking) and it didn't. So uh, what's the verdict now?

Anyway if it happens on PC, it is 95% the actions of a malicious hacker who SPECIFICALLY targetted your room. You WILL get your items stolen.