PDA

View Full Version : Sleep

Chloe1987
Jan 11, 2007, 11:13 PM
I have problems sleeping, can go to bed at 6-7am then get up at 10am and not be tired? Well maybe at 3ish then come alive again, dont take coffee or drugs...........

Sayara
Jan 11, 2007, 11:15 PM
How old are you, Kids usually can stay awake that much, its bad, but happens.

Chloe1987
Jan 11, 2007, 11:22 PM

Sayara
Jan 11, 2007, 11:24 PM
20 is close enough to kid XD

Try and get to bed earlier and earlier. or something it isn't healthy with what you do now

Chloe1987
Jan 11, 2007, 11:28 PM
lol - i cant though please i think i must need vallium.

medusae
Jan 11, 2007, 11:35 PM
Yeah, you don't wanna do that... during my first semester of college, I would stay up talking to my (now) ex on AIM until 4, then wake up at 7, take a full day of classes, then go to work for another 4-5 hours. I felt okay at first, but eventually I started having "blackouts" where I wouldn't be able to remember several hours at a time.. and when those started to get worse, I also started to hallucinate noises while I was awake.

Try to keep away from doing stuff that stimulates your brain during the hours that you're supposed to sleep, like watching a TV screen or a computer monitor, and doing things like reading instead. Also, don't just hang out or do homework, etc, on your bed.. your brain will start to associate it with doing such things, rather than associating it with sleep like it's supposed to.

If that doesn't work, yeah, you may need to try sleeping pills or something.

Chloe1987
Jan 11, 2007, 11:43 PM
Haha, you know how wierd i always think im seeing spiders run past and im just going mad instead cool.

astuarlen
Jan 12, 2007, 01:27 AM
On 2007-01-11 20:35, medusae wrote:
Also, don't just hang out or do homework, etc, on your bed.. your brain will start to associate it with doing such things, rather than associating it with sleep like it's supposed to.

Just the opposite with me: I end up falling asleep if I try doing anything requiring brain power on my bed, especially homework. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 12, 2007, 04:41 PM
You only really need 3 hours of REM sleep every 24 hours or so, and the rest is unnecessary. If you're falling into REM sleep very quickly and staying in it until you wake, then your sleep schedule is probably just fine; that is unlikely, though. Usually you can only stay in that state for maybe 15 to 30 minutes at a time.

There's a system called the "Uberman Sleep Schedule", where you take half-hour naps every 4 hours or so. It first requires that you train your body to fall into REM sleep as quickly as possible (about 5 minutes or so-- very quick), you sleep for a half hour, and then you're good for another three and a half hours. A friend of mine who considered switching to this schedule figured out that he could add 9 waking years to his life, this way.

The downside to the whole thing though, is that when it's time for you to nap, you absolutely just hit a wall. You'll fall asleep whether you want to, or not.

Fleur-de-Lis
Jan 12, 2007, 05:48 PM
I have a similar sleep cycle: to bed @ 2-3 am and up by half past 6. The funny thing is I get tired if I get more sleep than that.

Banish
Jan 12, 2007, 07:09 PM
On 2007-01-11 20:43, Chloe1987 wrote:
Haha, you know how wierd i always think im seeing spiders run past and im just going mad instead cool.

I think you just need to cool down and take rests more often. Or go to bed at a designated time.