PDA

View Full Version : So has anyone else noticed this about elemental rods?

Remedy
Jan 15, 2007, 12:14 AM
It seems that elementally attuned rods (with two or more spells of the same element) only do the 4/8/12% bonus damage to mobs of the opposing element (e.g.: A 12% Ice rod does 12% more to Fire, but not to Lightning), not globally like was always stated.

Anyone else noticing this? I did some testing in Labs today: Damubarta on an Ice rod would do about 30 more damage per wave to Jarbas, but it wouldn't do anything more to the Polyvohras.

Zabot
Jan 15, 2007, 12:39 AM
well um, yea, its just like a regular weapon, a 36% dark durandal will only do 36% more damage to a mob of light based enemies. a staff that has 12% fire isnt going to do 12% more damage to a lighting based monster.

make sense?

FlakariLeader
Jan 15, 2007, 12:46 AM
As Zabot said, it's the same and should be the same as melee weapons. Makes it less over powered.

Soukosa
Jan 15, 2007, 12:57 AM
When I checked out the mechanincs of the spells I got a boost on all elemental targets when stacking the same elements on the same rod. Wonder if they changed it recently.

As for you melees, elemental boosts work differently with techs. They seem to have a fixed percentage depending on the spell and probably level, just like bullet PAs. The listed elemental percentage for the weapon is then supposed to boost the techs on the weapon by that much more. Hardly over powered considering what you give up for being able to obtain that.

Remedy
Jan 15, 2007, 01:08 AM
Well, this was done like... 20 minutes ago in the Labs, so they must have changed it VERY recently.

Oh well, now I have real cause to say that elemental rods are stupid. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Pivotal
Jan 15, 2007, 01:43 AM
On 2007-01-14 22:08, Remedy wrote:
Well, this was done like... 20 minutes ago in the Labs, so they must have changed it VERY recently.

Oh well, now I have real cause to say that elemental rods are stupid. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Elemental rods are especially stupid with how many available techs there are now. It's not very likely that you'll end up with a good configuration with all elemental rods.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pivotal on 2007-01-14 22:44 ]</font>

Ether
Jan 15, 2007, 01:51 AM
Uhh yeah, its always been like this. I always like to laugh at idiot forces with diga wands in Mizuraki

ViciousXUSMC
Jan 15, 2007, 02:14 AM
i do it for the colors http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

green makes me feel noob.

most of my rods are green of course tho, but wants I put in elements.

XDespaiR
Jan 15, 2007, 03:24 AM
i have a rod with the 4 buffs, a healing rod, then a ground, ice, and fire rod. for the sixth spot i have a wand with the 2 dark spells, equipped with cards.

now, i dont see any reason for mixing up those spells. that will just confuse me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XDespaiR on 2007-01-15 00:25 ]</font>

Keiko_Seisha
Jan 15, 2007, 03:46 AM
You just learned this today? (Or yesterday, by clock)

Quite slow. Old news.

-Shimarisu-
Jan 15, 2007, 05:51 AM
On 2007-01-14 21:14, Remedy wrote:
It seems that elementally attuned rods (with two or more spells of the same element) only do the 4/8/12% bonus damage to mobs of the opposing element (e.g.: A 12% Ice rod does 12% more to Fire, but not to Lightning), not globally like was always stated.

Anyone else noticing this? I did some testing in Labs today: Damubarta on an Ice rod would do about 30 more damage per wave to Jarbas, but it wouldn't do anything more to the Polyvohras.

I love how you told me this in some other thread like it was some hugely secret knowledge that you thought I'd better be made aware of, when it was actually really bloody obvious and I lol at how you had to test it to find it out.

It's not secret knowledge to ANYONE who has been binding their weapons this whole time anyway.

-Shimarisu-
Jan 15, 2007, 05:56 AM
On 2007-01-14 22:51, Ether wrote:
Uhh yeah, its always been like this. I always like to laugh at idiot forces with diga wands in Mizuraki

I used to bind my wands anyway, despite knowing this, because it made it much easier to switch them correctly on the palette.

I don't now, because I only use support techs.

Remedy
Jan 15, 2007, 09:03 AM
On 2007-01-15 00:46, Keiko_Seisha wrote:
You just learned this today? (Or yesterday, by clock)

Quite slow. Old news.Because I've never USED one before yesterday. Duh? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

omegapirate2k
Jan 15, 2007, 09:34 AM
It's too bad theres no offensive light spells to utilize that elemental bonus yet http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Xihyon
Jan 15, 2007, 09:49 AM
Im just glad that there are now supportive spells to aid the wartecher and what not...

_Deliverance_
Jan 15, 2007, 11:56 AM
On 2007-01-14 22:51, Ether wrote:

Because there are no lightning based mobs in Mizuraki....?

Witchblade56
Jan 15, 2007, 01:01 PM
Well Id like to say that using elementally attuned rods is situational based on where you are farming.

I dont think it's necesssarily stupid at all. If you plan accordingly you can be well prepared in advance. It's not like with melee weapons where they are a set element. You can change which techs are bound to your rods/wands without having to sacrifice inventory space. You just have to watch this though if youre doing something like bruce's dungeon. I dont bind 4 techs of the same element on one rod there. The most i do is 2 and all my rods have resta, reverser on them.

I think its situational remedy. If you want to max your dmg output you can modify your set up by casting retier and binding same element techs to one rod. Retier boosts mst/tp and that added 12% from stacking like spells on your rod furthers your dmg.

If you want versitility then go with two preferred spells of each element with resta/reverser or whatever tickles your fancy.

I think force/fortecher has greater potential to be customized exclusively to a person's playstyle as far as palette set up and techs bound to a given weapon.

Soukosa
Jan 15, 2007, 03:48 PM
I could have sworn that when I tested this, elementally aligned rods did more damage to all elements. Maybe the server was bugged during that week? I'll check it some time when I feel like it I guess. Not really that big of an issue really. The inconvinence of having to switch weapons to get support techs rather undermines what little bonus you'd actually get from it unless it was a boss of some sort. The color coding on the palette does help when switching quickly though >.>

Tra
Jan 15, 2007, 03:58 PM
when you are posting something, why does it have to be the same exact in multiple forums?