PDA

View Full Version : xbox360 red ring on PSU

Abarai-Renji
Jan 15, 2007, 09:41 PM
no, i'm not talking about the next hot rare item. I'm talking about the red ring of death. and it sucks. my xbox is dead. luckily for me microsoft had extended it's warranty to one year. so i get a free repair. yay for me! but the sad part is i'll have to be AFK until it comes back.

sucks this had to happen while i was playing psu. i knew i was going to have a problem b/c it would freeze and then the ring pops up. but i always unplugged and plugged it back in and it worked fine.

what makes this even more ironic is that one of my best friends just had his xbox die on him today before mine did. so i think he kinda jinxed me. that bastard!

I hope this hasn't happened to anyone else.

Krans
Jan 16, 2007, 04:05 AM
well i had the red ring they sent us a new one, it red ringed in a weeek, sent us back another and that one red ringed in a week now the one we have now red ringed but then went back to normal and now it works, so i know how you feel http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Remedy
Jan 16, 2007, 04:20 AM
Clearly, Rico is possessing your XBox 360s.

Retribution for the crimes against PSU PC/PS2, maybe? (Kidding!)

Sychosis
Jan 16, 2007, 07:56 AM
Happened to me as well. Still have to call MS myself, after receiving a horribly obviously automated email response from MS. Apparently once find an error keyword (Two red lights in my case) they send out a response only about that, so my 3 red lights problem was completely ignored.

RSmiroldo
Jan 16, 2007, 08:06 AM
Actually going through the same thing right now... mine kicked the can about a week and a half ago I'm barely surviving by going to friends houses to play... i get mine back the 17th.

Gojin
Jan 16, 2007, 08:08 AM
lol@ xbox 360

RSmiroldo
Jan 16, 2007, 08:11 AM
yeah i guess you can laugh I'm just happy that the 360 version isn't having as many as the hacking related issues as the ps2/pc is having.

Dymalos
Jan 16, 2007, 08:17 AM
I think there was a bad batch or something. Mine is still in fine working order and I've had it since February 2006. Two of my real life friends have recently had theirs malfunction and their 360s are currently being repaired. If I recall correctly, they both purchased their boxes in early September. Fortunately the Xbox 360 warranty was just extended to a full year, so they had theirs taken care of completely free of charge.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dymalos on 2007-01-16 05:18 ]</font>

MayLee
Jan 16, 2007, 01:01 PM
On 2007-01-16 05:08, Gojin wrote:
lol@ xbox 360

Somehow, i knew someone was going to say this. =

Sekani
Jan 16, 2007, 01:55 PM
I've gone through THREE PlayStation2's because of disc read errors. No problems yet with the 360. LOL at that.

I know everyone frowns on console haters, but I think I have a valid reason for this grudge.

(And it has nothing to do with PSU, so don't go there.)

Botchla
Jan 16, 2007, 01:57 PM
Heh, i went through 7 PS2's at launch over the course of a year and a half... the last big PS2 i had started breaking down, so i traded it in for a slim-line one... My 360? Perfect working condition. Thank god...

BloodDragoon
Jan 16, 2007, 02:43 PM
My initial launch PS2 ran almost 2 years straight without ever being shut off before the disc read errors became repetitive. And pulling it apart I notice I could probably fix it if I had the lens resurfaced since buffing it still solves the problem temporarliy. But hell with it I bought a second PS2 and it's still going. And like the first one I never shut it off... >.>

For the most part its kind of a luck of the draw. I know 2 people that bought 360's at launch and had the powersupply burn out the system. I also know someone who bought a Dreamcast at launch, played it for 8 hours and started hearing funny noises come from the disc drive. He pulled the game out and looked at the open disc drive and watched as the console caught on fire.

Every product that comes off the assembly line isn't going to be perfect. Defective ones or ones with minor flaws will slip past the Quality Assurance checks and someone is going to end up buying them.

Hopefully it's still under warranty so MS would have to fix it for free.

DarkEliteRico
Jan 16, 2007, 02:47 PM
I'm currently on my 3rd 360....traveling back and forth to Boston killed my first. I get lots of lag lately even with a nice connection speed. Intercoller is hooked up, but i'm afraid i might have to use my warranty yet again.

twysted
Jan 16, 2007, 02:57 PM
i am on my 4th 360 my first one died partially my fault the second and 3rd were repair center duds and the 4th was doa from the repair center... on a side note the new one i bought last week is working great and no problems whoohoo

MayLee
Jan 16, 2007, 02:59 PM
I'm buying me a Brand new 360 and hopefully it will love me forever and ever. =)

My brother is on the second one..That red ring of death killed his first on the second we he had it.

DarkEliteRico
Jan 16, 2007, 03:02 PM
On 2007-01-16 11:59, MayLee wrote:
I'm buying me a Brand new 360 and hopefully it will love me forever and ever. =)

My brother is on the second one..That red ring of death killed his first on the second we he had it.

The warranty is a small price to pay, but it's insurance that i'm glad i've actually used. The first one didn't get jack, so buying more then one can get a bit costly.

Akaimizu
Jan 16, 2007, 03:03 PM
Generally you shouldn't have a problem. Yours will probably have been manufactured well after July 2007. My current system is a July baby and been working fine ever since. Assembly line problems may have happened in the beginning, but I'd expect the later models to be solid.

Nevertheless, they're being very nice about the warranties.

Sekani
Jan 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
On 2007-01-16 12:03, Akaimizu wrote:

Nevertheless, they're being very nice about the warranties.

If Sony had at least done that much I wouldn't be so pissed off at them. Getting them to reapir a PS2, even under warranty, was like pulling teeth.

I remember the Dreamcast had issues too, but Sega handled them with aplomb. It seems that 360s break down quite a bit as well, but I guess it's the service that makes the difference.

MayLee
Jan 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
love warranties. =)

Akaimizu
Jan 16, 2007, 03:11 PM
On 2007-01-16 12:07, Sekani wrote:
I remember the Dreamcast had issues too, but Sega handled them with aplomb. It seems that 360s break down quite a bit as well, but I guess it's the service that makes the difference.

It's always the service that makes a difference, when a new technology comes out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-01-16 12:13 ]</font>

Sychosis
Jan 16, 2007, 03:14 PM
Just called MS, they're sending me a box to send my baby off in. They really need to get some people who can speak clearly to work those phones. Poor guy I talked to, Lloyd if I recall, had to repeat himself about 15 times.

And DarkEliteRico, everyone I've talked to recommends staying far away from Intercoolers as they void your warranty and actually hurt the console.

MayLee
Jan 16, 2007, 03:27 PM
I might have to place my 360 someplace els..My cat likes to hang out on the built in storage box where my TV is sitting. I don't want him to accidently break it trying to get behinf it.

*Stares at her cat who's snoozing on the couch*

BloodDragoon
Jan 16, 2007, 03:35 PM
On 2007-01-16 12:14, Sychosis wrote:
Just called MS, they're sending me a box to send my baby off in. They really need to get some people who can speak clearly to work those phones. Poor guy I talked to, Lloyd if I recall, had to repeat himself about 15 times.

And DarkEliteRico, everyone I've talked to recommends staying far away from Intercoolers as they void your warranty and actually hurt the console.

I swear every time I call a customer service number for something I get some guy in India... >.>

My only thought is microsoft and sony need to take a page from Nintendo in their system designs. I've seen horrendous things done to nintendo systems and the things still worked afterward. I remember my SNES getting knocked off the shelf due to someone tripping over the controller cord while I was playing a game and all that happened was the casing cracked a little. And this was a 6ft drop onto an uncarpeted concrete basement floor. I'm positive my x-box, dreamcast, PS1, and PS2, would have busted apart in that scenario. The Game Cube and Wii that I own both feel like it still has that solid Nintendo construction for durability also... Actually wasn't there a video somewhere of someone throwing a Game Cube off a building and the system still worked? I know of Gameboy systems that were caught in house fires or dropped that still functioned as well.

Akaimizu
Jan 16, 2007, 03:38 PM
Nintendo never uses cutting edge technology in the main console. That's why. They've used long tested and pre-existing technology for years. They aren't taking the kind of chances that are delicate for manufacturing plants, when pushing a new thing out the door. They have stability by default. This is precisely why. Don't go thinking they just did the same things better because they don't make similar hardware to compare with.

Not that I condone any issues of console wars or anything that some people *might* be inclined to turn any of these topics into. I still will speak when one will make an argument without looking at the facts behind why things happen that way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-01-16 12:43 ]</font>

MayLee
Jan 16, 2007, 03:49 PM
Remember the proceders you'd have to do to get you SNES Game cartriges to work?

Like blowing on it. I'd do that with my old Sega games when it couldn't read it.

BloodDragoon
Jan 16, 2007, 03:59 PM
On 2007-01-16 12:49, MayLee wrote:

Like blowing on it. I'd do that with my old Sega games when it couldn't read it.

Odd, I never had to do that with my SNES or Genesis. Just my old NES.

Also Nintendo just because Nintendo doesn't use the newest disc format for a console doesn't mean they don't use cutting edge technology. They simply choose a different direction to go with it. But the main point I was trying to make is alot of these problems with PS2s and 360s can also be caused by shipping, transporting, and moving the system. They need to take a page from Nintendo and build in some more rigidity in their consoles.

Sekani
Jan 16, 2007, 04:07 PM
On 2007-01-16 12:59, BloodDragoon wrote:

Also Nintendo just because Nintendo doesn't use the newest disc format for a console doesn't mean they don't use cutting edge technology. They simply choose a different direction to go with it. But the main point I was trying to make is alot of these problems with PS2s and 360s can also be caused by shipping, transporting, and moving the system. They need to take a page from Nintendo and build in some more rigidity in their consoles.

What you missed is that Nintendo uses cheaper and less-delicate parts when they build their systems. This is why their consoles also cost less, and why their systems are less powerful than the competition.

Not a knock on Nintendo at all, since I love their systems, just clearing stuff up.

MayLee
Jan 16, 2007, 04:07 PM
On 2007-01-16 12:59, BloodDragoon wrote:

On 2007-01-16 12:49, MayLee wrote:

Odd, I never had to do that with my SNES or Genesis. Just my old NES.

A lot of people I knew did something similar to it though. I actually saw something about that on G4 TV.

BOWSER5150
Jan 16, 2007, 04:10 PM
i remember having to shove another game on top of the game to get it to work (ahh the good ol days)

BloodDragoon
Jan 16, 2007, 04:13 PM
Well atleast you don't have to blow on NES roms to get them to work on your PC. (Or in my case X-box... >.>) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Akaimizu
Jan 16, 2007, 04:18 PM
And 15 years from now, just about anything we see here today will be able to fit on some Rom, which would figuratively take small amounts of space, compared to some unforseen huge drives, we will have, by then. Our 1/2/4 Gigabyte Ram chips being seen the same way we see those old 5 1/4" floppy disks, today.

Hmm. Just thinking of the day when we can laugh and say how miniscule the install for Flight Simulator X is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-01-16 13:20 ]</font>

BloodDragoon
Jan 16, 2007, 04:25 PM
On 2007-01-16 13:18, Akaimizu wrote:
And 15 years from now, just about anything we see here today will be able to fit on some Rom, which would figuratively take small amounts of space, compared to some unforseen huge drives, we will have, by then. Our 1/2/4 Gigabyte Ram chips being seen the same way we see those old 5 1/4" floppy disks, today.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-01-16 13:19 ]</font>

They already do take up figuratively small amounts of hard drive space in comparison to my PC... >.>

Akaimizu
Jan 16, 2007, 04:27 PM
I'm talking about the new full-sized PC/next gen releases right now, taking up the same amount of relative drive space that the games of the 80s and early 90s take with us now.

Ryogen
Jan 16, 2007, 04:30 PM
We got a free 1 year warrenty for christmas from Microsoft. So anyone whos year is not up got 2 years and if your year is up then you got 1 year. They are really taking care of us 360 users. It's just the first generation ones that overheating so it's all good when you get the next one.

RSmiroldo
Jan 16, 2007, 04:33 PM
agreed its hard for me to hear people complain about xbox when microsoft is doing everything in there power eliminate damaged goods and send you a brand new product free of charge.

BloodDragoon
On 2007-01-16 13:27, Akaimizu wrote:
I'm talking about the new full-sized PC/next gen releases right now, taking up the same amount of relative drive space that the games of the 80s and early 90s take with us now.

I know. Currently I copy every disk to my PC games onto my HDD. The space it takes is relatively nothing compared to the space I have available. This way I can store the CD's somewhere safe and not bother with them and just run everything off of virtual drives.

Esufer
I got the dreaded red ring on my Xbox about a week after I got it.

turned it off.

Turned it on.

No problems since =D

Akaimizu
Jan 16, 2007, 04:34 PM
Very nice. I only have a 120GB drive. It doesn't take long for those games to totally fill that up. Especially since they've gotten to the area of taking up 10-15 Gigs each game. Flight Simulator X is one of those 15Gig *minimum* games. We're talking 10% of total HD space here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-01-16 13:34 ]</font>

Ryno
Jan 16, 2007, 05:34 PM
how come i dont have this red ring problem? mine works fine.. i had my 360 for a year and it still works.. plus its the core system..=p

Ronzeru
Jan 16, 2007, 06:00 PM
At first when I saw this post, I thought he meant Red Ring Rico could be seen in PSU.

Ronzeru
Jan 16, 2007, 06:00 PM
Now i'm all disappointed and shit. =/

McLaughlin
Jan 16, 2007, 06:22 PM
Well, anyone who's talking about Customer Service knows Nintendo kicks the crap out of everyone else. I called in to see what I should do about a dead memory card, and not only did they fix the dead one (with the saves still intact) but they sent me another one too, free of charge.

Nintendo's consoles are rock solid too. My brother sent my Gamecube down a flight of stairs once >_> Even the disc was still ok. Not to mention that time my GBA kinda got ran over by my bike... When I was setting up the PS3 booth at the Wal-Mart I work at, it felt like even setting it in its place was going to break it >_> (It died later that day. As did the two back up units we had.)

As for my 360, I've had it since Launch week. Works fine. Dunno why anyone would even bother with an intercooler, seeing as all the hot air is expelled via the fans. You could cook a steak on a PS3 though. Damn thing burnt me when I went to take it out of the booth.

MayLee
Jan 16, 2007, 06:35 PM
On 2007-01-16 14:34, Ryno wrote:
how come i dont have this red ring problem? mine works fine.. i had my 360 for a year and it still works.. plus its the core system..=p

Knock on wood..KNOCK ON WOOD. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

PALRAPPYS
Jan 16, 2007, 06:47 PM
Wow... like everyone is having this problem. Happened to us, but we went out and bought a new CORE version for my brother. (Could this mean he will get PSU? Sure hope so!)

KRKcl17
Jan 16, 2007, 07:09 PM
And again, instant console wars... :/

McLaughlin
Jan 16, 2007, 08:53 PM
Except it isn't a console war.

Thanks for trying to start one though.

MayLee
Jan 16, 2007, 08:54 PM
Great. -_-

DummieAcount
Jan 16, 2007, 09:10 PM
I was SO READY TO CAL SHENANAGINS AND YOU COME UP WITH THIS BROKEN X-BOX SHIT?

HORSE SHIT!

I NEVER GET TO CALL SHENANAGINS ON ANYTHING!

BloodDragoon
Jan 16, 2007, 09:10 PM
Console war? OK...

Atari VS Intellevision!

Engarde!

<.<

Thrash777
Jan 16, 2007, 09:13 PM
O_o lots of boxes dying... v_v

Sychosis
Jan 16, 2007, 09:14 PM
I chalk it up to too much PSU.

McLaughlin
Jan 16, 2007, 09:21 PM
I think people've been trying to pipe a Rappy >_>

BloodDragoon
Jan 16, 2007, 09:32 PM
On 2007-01-16 18:13, Thrash777 wrote:
O_o lots of boxes dying... v_v

From what I heard, alot of the initial dead 360s were caused by the initial shipments for launch having the powersupply overheat and cause some sort of meltdown. An issue that shouldn't occur with ones purchased later as (I would hope atleast.) Microsoft fixed the problem.

Sychosis
Jan 16, 2007, 09:35 PM
On 2007-01-16 18:21, Zeta wrote:
I think people've been trying to pipe a Rappy >_>

Nuh uh! I was piping for Jaggos!

Seriously though, piping ruined my first Gamecube http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Caradoc
Jan 17, 2007, 12:38 AM
those intercoolers will kill your system, just keep your box in a ventilated area. Those things are just crap.

Ohhh and you dont have to send your HardDrive to Xbox for them to fix it... just keep that and go rent a xbox for a week or something... it'll be like... 30-40 bucks.

Zelutos
Jan 17, 2007, 03:17 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=132545&forum=9&9