PDA

View Full Version : PSU: I heard PSU wasn't as good as people say it is...

Netro
Jan 17, 2007, 05:04 PM
My friends have played PSU, and one owns it. He says that the gameplay is good, and he likes everything, except getting to Chapter 4 to Create-A-Character. My more noted, other two friends say that the voice acting is poor, and the gameplay is not as great as everybody says it is. I was just wondering about what everybody on PSO-World felt of it...

Zorafim
Jan 17, 2007, 05:06 PM
We feel that you've been playing offline too much, and should come online to where the real game is.

Also, Ethan's voice acting is horrid.

JaiBlue
Jan 17, 2007, 05:08 PM
The gameplay is fine, the story is nice, and anyone who complains about the voice acting is a japanophile.

Welcome to PSU! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

BLACKR0SE
Jan 17, 2007, 05:08 PM
yeah get online then you can talk. /fail

VanHalen
Jan 17, 2007, 05:56 PM
yeah offline is great but........online is better

KyokoHunter
Jan 17, 2007, 06:00 PM
I've played since PSO, and personally I think PSU is an excellent sequel. Yes, the gameplay can be repetitive to some people, but it's less so than it used to be. And the American voice acting... well, let's just say I'm used to better quality animé voice acting! But after a while it doesn't detract that much. Anyway, the best thing to do is get online - then you'll be sucked in like everyone else here!

Zorafim
Jan 17, 2007, 06:08 PM
Better voice acting? Where on earth do you get it? I must have it!

Gazette
Jan 17, 2007, 06:13 PM
Get online.
Buying PSU for the offline portion is like buying a new car without an engine.
It may look pretty, but that's about it.

The fun is online.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gazette on 2007-01-17 15:13 ]</font>

Sychosis
Jan 17, 2007, 06:14 PM
Yeah? Well I know PSU is better than people say it is.

Top that.

Dhylec
Jan 17, 2007, 06:34 PM
Don't just listen to what others say unless you play & decide it yourself. PSU got pretty average ratings from many sites, but many here do not think so. The bettar aspects are in the online mode. Get on & see.

Tengoku
Jan 17, 2007, 06:46 PM
On 2007-01-17 14:08, JaiBlue wrote:
The gameplay is fine, the story is nice, and anyone who complains about the voice acting is a japanophile.
Nice strawman. Something wrong with desiring quality voice-acting?

/thread hijack

Yes, the game is good. I came here from WoW and this game is lighter and much more fun. I don't need 39 other friends to get together and do something fun. Also, I can't get a lolita to say obnoxious things for me while fighting with me in WoW. My buddies, on the other hand, are all obnoxious but do not resemble lolitas in the slightest. Thankfully.

Now if only I could get my PM to synth me new outfits...

ShinMaruku
Jan 17, 2007, 06:50 PM
Well some of them bad reviewers still say it's the same addictive gamep[l;ay but it's mainly yhe limited slow start that hurt it. But if one comes now it should be suffcient.

Dhylec
Jan 17, 2007, 07:04 PM
Now if only I could get my PM to synth me new outfits...

Though I'm unsure of the exact translation, but there is a brief mention of clothes 'synthing' & other ways to obtain them in Tycho's post..
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=132395&forum=20&35

-Shimarisu-
Jan 17, 2007, 07:05 PM
The jp voice acting is shit by japanese standards, and the US voice acting is good by US standards.

-Shimarisu-
Jan 17, 2007, 07:09 PM
On 2007-01-17 15:50, ShinMaruku wrote:
Well some of them bad reviewers still say it's the same addictive gamep[l;ay but it's mainly yhe limited slow start that hurt it. But if one comes now it should be suffcient.

Actually I was looking forward to the UK reviews, cause by the time it came out in EU we had Moa, and expert class shortly afterwards.

But the UK mags reviewed the US advance copy, and said the content was bollocks. Also they said it wasn't worth 6.99 fee because one of the planets wasn't available among other things (hello bullshit), now I'm sorry but if you are going to say something out in the UK isn't worth the UK fee, how about reviweing the FUCKING UK CONTENT AVAILABLE AT UK RELEASE, INSTEAD OF THE DEMO CONTENT THE US GOT THAT THE UK WAS ACTUALLY BARRED FROM PLAYING?

Wankstains.

Dre_o
Jan 17, 2007, 07:17 PM
This is an example of why I don't EVER listen to rating sites.

1) PSU wasn't "fully released" when the game was open for sale.
2) ALL gaming reviews compare the games to the current "UBER 1337" games of the time. Example: Any gun game is subconsciously (or perhaps consciously) compared to Halo 2 (note, I laugh at those who love Halo 2).

Lesson: Don't listen to others, try it yourself.

ShinMaruku
Jan 17, 2007, 07:20 PM
Luckily for me I got to try it early at the thiung they had in Manhattan and I spazzed out on that game and abused the fact that their Ethan was truly broken. (My newman would smoke him though 1,000 damage XD)

SolomonGrundy
Jan 17, 2007, 07:43 PM
the online experience is pretty sucky to start, in my opionion. it really takes knowing people in advance to get real enjoyment out of the game at first. I like it more now, than I did at level 5-15 (I say 5 to 15 becasue I got nored of LL at level 5, but could not handle Parnum solo), and did not understand where else to go (EP2 missions)

MayLee
Jan 17, 2007, 08:09 PM
Some of the voices sound like people from the sesemy street..>_>

And the Story is alright, gameplay is awsome..Just go online and prove you other friend wrong. It's nice.

venom248
Jan 17, 2007, 11:20 PM
Yo come online u got to thats where all the fun is

Eauijhkuu
Jan 18, 2007, 12:40 AM
Note that there is tons of content offline that really doesn't exist online as of yet.

But the game is trully designed to be played online rather than offline.
In that factor of gameplay, I suppose you'd have to try the online version to prove that to be somewhat true.

Personally, I think offline has some things that online play doesn't offer completely.
And Online has some things that Offline lacks.

But playing with good people makes all the difference sometimes.

desolant11
Jan 18, 2007, 01:00 AM
well if i could take a guess, i would go ahead and say the game is still only about 50% content released at most. we have half of the areas, very few to none of the good weapons and very few assorted mission types of which there are many to come. about 27% of the cloths none of the cool partner machine items and other countless things we dont have yet.

this game is sweet. i play on ps3. i get very little slowdown, hardly any weapon lag.

PSU and [as] all night FTW !!

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 18, 2007, 01:59 AM
Speaking only about the combat system, PSU doesn't play as good as a well-made offline action RPG, but it is made better than most online action RPGs, the only better one I can think of being Monster Hunter.

I won't go into detail, but hit detection is a problem. The controls are almost completely spot-on, making me able to deal with the hit detection. I find it very boring to solo, since the core gameplay, while being more fun than most online RPGs, simply doesn't compare to a good offline one. And it's generally very easy, even the harder missions are easy if you have a good party. (And if you're alone, it's just long and boring...but at least the difficulty ramps up!)

Knight_of_MIA
Jan 18, 2007, 02:27 AM
On 2007-01-17 16:17, Dre_o wrote:
This is an example of why I don't EVER listen to rating sites.

1) PSU wasn't "fully released" when the game was open for sale.
2) ALL gaming reviews compare the games to the current "UBER 1337" games of the time. Example: Any gun game is subconsciously (or perhaps consciously) compared to Halo 2 (note, I laugh at those who love Halo 2).

Lesson: Don't listen to others, try it yourself.

I have a similar personal view, except for one: even today PSU is not fully released yet. I guess there is no method to measure the game.

Hard to deal with a pandora´s box.

Niered
Jan 18, 2007, 02:47 AM
PSU is basically one of many reasons that I came to the conclusion that American gaming magazines all tend to simply copy paste eachothers articles and scores. I mean look at the facts:

Famitsu, Japans premier gaming magazine gives it a 35/40. Thats a damn good score.
IGN gives it a 6.6/10 thats a (if you go by how the industry claims there own screwy ratings interpret to us) a below average score.

Note that in fact 6.6 would MATHEMATICALLY mean it was above average, but if you read the reviews given to games with a score under 7/10, youd think they were total shyt.

But I digress, what I am saying is that most NA and EU reviewers seem to only really care about the blockbuster titles, and even then they all give the same scores to those, whereas the relatively unheard of games go unnoticed and given poor reviews because they are unlike games the reviewer is used to. Breaking the mold FTL? Not what I wanna hear.

-Kenji-
Jan 18, 2007, 05:39 AM
PSU's offline mode was pretty much something added to say "Hey look! We got an offline mode! With a story!" I got the game when it came out and I've yet to play the offline portion.

The online portion is where the fun's at. But because a lot of people left during the time when there were no items above B-rank the community is rather small and sometimes it may be a problem for you to find a decent party who's at a mission you want to play.

Superguppie
Jan 18, 2007, 07:35 AM
If you liked PSO, you're gonna love PSU. Tastes differ. Only way to find out what you think is to try it yourself.
Offline story is good. You get to play with a fixed character, and limited options for customization. That is no worse than most RPGs out there. It is certainly a lot better than PSO for offline content.
Once you get to chapter 4 of the story you can make a character like you could on PSO, and do all the free missions. No story, and all customization.
The charm of PSU is the same as PSO: Take it online. Play with friends. And get a followup story to the offline stuff.

jizaboz
Jan 18, 2007, 02:35 PM
Haha A lot of the games I like get really bad reviews... it really doesn't mean anything.

Palefire
Jan 18, 2007, 09:29 PM
On 2007-01-17 23:47, Niered wrote:
PSU is basically one of many reasons that I came to the conclusion that American gaming magazines all tend to simply copy paste eachothers articles and scores. I mean look at the facts:

Famitsu, Japans premier gaming magazine gives it a 35/40. Thats a damn good score.
IGN gives it a 6.6/10 thats a (if you go by how the industry claims there own screwy ratings interpret to us) a below average score.

Note that in fact 6.6 would MATHEMATICALLY mean it was above average, but if you read the reviews given to games with a score under 7/10, youd think they were total shyt.

But I digress, what I am saying is that most NA and EU reviewers seem to only really care about the blockbuster titles, and even then they all give the same scores to those, whereas the relatively unheard of games go unnoticed and given poor reviews because they are unlike games the reviewer is used to. Breaking the mold FTL? Not what I wanna hear.

This is precisely why so many gaming magazines are going under in favour of gaming websites. With sites, you get news and reviews either just after the game is released or even while the game's in beta, and from someone who has an interest in actual game genre instead of a month later and reviewed by the FPS nut who could care less about MMOs. Moreover, few gaming website reviewers are getting payoffs in the form of free games from gaming companies and thus pressured into writing favourable reviews. (IGN being one that certainly gets these kinds of kick-backs)

People are catching on to the fact that gaming magazines are largely advertisements that you have to pay to read. There's been increasingly less and less of things actual gamers are interested in in lieu of big game propaganda.

And I must be the only one who liked the story mode voice acting. (Then again, I think a lot of Japanese VA sounds like ham-actor-in-a-high-school-play, since in the past most seiyuu aren't even actors) I rather like the quality of Ethan's voice, not to mention the fact that he isn't hamming it up but is acting naturally.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Palefire on 2007-01-18 18:34 ]</font>

Xihyon
Jan 18, 2007, 09:33 PM
meh I enjoy the game... what i dont like is when sites that give reviews over estimate games and underestimate others. THis may detirmne the size of the US servers.

Shinzakura
Jan 18, 2007, 09:53 PM
In the end, the fact is, enjoy the game for what it is and what's to come. Yes, the online version is incomplete when compared to the offline game, but it's meant to be played online, to make runs with friends, have people make fun of your character's clothing, screw around in some of the fan-run contests (and the elusive non-Japanese ones that Sega may someday run), etc. In the end, it's all about the experience - your experiences - and no one can tell you one way or the other.

That being said, I'd say go for an online spin. I think it's worth it.