PDA

View Full Version : Current list of scams

Eliash
Jan 18, 2007, 03:02 PM
Meseta Dupe Scam
Credit: Sychosis

Description:

Scammer will attempt to get people to drop meseta on the ground by telling them they will create lag and have them both pick up the meseta at the same time and dupe it.

Suggestions:

- Don't drop meseta on the ground even if you think this is plausable. As far as I know there are currently no meseta duping techniques other than that used by hackers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Present Scam
Credit: Laranas

Description:

Scammer takes a rare item (could be a moon atomizer X) and gets it wrapped by an NPC and tries to sell it off as something else. There is no way to tell what a present is except by the star rating, but even then it only tells you how many stars it has.

Suggestion:

- Never buy rare presents from strangers, or from anyone in fact.
- If the person says that the rare is inside the present tell them to unwrap it first and sell the item directly to you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rare Drop Scam

Description:

Scammer starts a party and waits for people to join and during the course of the mission they ask the new player to drop the rare item because they would like to see how it looks on the ground and/or to trade it with them. Afterwards they either boot the player from the group and take the item, or run and grab it.

Suggestion:

- Never drop valuable items in a game when you are not leader and when there are other people near you. If you decide that you will drop a rare, ask to be made party leader. Or better yet, never drop valuable items.
- If they ask how it looks tell them "It's like a normal weapon, but in red". If they don't believe you for some reason tell them to take your word for it or get a for them to drop a rare, also try to check their equipment, if they have a rare weapon or something they could easily drop it to see what it looks like for themselves.
- If you want to bait them into booting you, you can try dropping some common rare such as a Moon Atomizer X board, however, they may realize the difference between the fake rare and the real one.

Trade Window Scam

Description:

Scammer usually spams that they want to sell something for a price that is usually much cheaper than normal. Prompts a trade with the customer displays item and waits for the buyer to place meseta and confirm the trade and quickly takes out the item and confirms the trade with the buyers meseta still in trade but the item is taken out. After finalizing the scammer now has the buyers meseta while the buyer does not recieve anything.

Suggestions:

- When trading with someone make sure you keep an eye on the item.
- If the price is very cheap and/or you suspect the person is a scammer ask them to place it in a shop for you to buy it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eliash on 2007-01-18 12:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eliash on 2007-01-18 13:00 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eliash on 2007-01-18 14:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eliash on 2007-01-18 14:16 ]</font>

Eliash
Jan 18, 2007, 03:04 PM
Lets try to keep flames away and add more information on current scams. My goal is to create a guide of all the current scams that we encounter daily, and make a list of them and possible suggestions to avoid them.

Please contribute any information and/or suggestions you have.

Laranas
Jan 18, 2007, 03:05 PM
Present Scam:

The presents do NOT have Vahra Claws inside of them people, stop buying them

Mattardo
Jan 18, 2007, 03:34 PM
The 3rd scam is good advice and something many people will not have experienced. The first 2? Common sense should prevent people from buying mystery items in presents! I only give those to my girlfriend, because it's cute and precious and makes her sigh in that way they sigh. And droppin items for people to look at? Common sense should prevent that too! I guess I'm jaded from the old PSO. Here's a scam for you, though: if someone named Mattardo comes up to you and asks you NOT to give him money and gifts, for God's sake give them to him! Don't be tricked into NOT giving him stuff. Heh.

Eliash
Jan 18, 2007, 03:37 PM
lol, yea some of these things are common sense to some people but I've seen people who have been duped into falling for these scams so I thought that I'll try to list all possible scams and ways to avoid them.

Tycho
Jan 18, 2007, 03:39 PM
I thought the only ones buying into this sort of stuff were the people that hacked their cash in the first place. >_>

Eliash
Jan 18, 2007, 03:43 PM
I cannot say, as I play on the 360. But I have heard of a few people who have fallen for these scams on the 360 also. So all-in-all it may be useful to have a guide with all the current scams listed.

Vhex
Jan 18, 2007, 04:37 PM
Currently my shop and/or any shop that sells Presents that claim they contain something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vhex on 2007-01-18 13:37 ]</font>

DarkAeon
Jan 18, 2007, 04:44 PM
99% of people getting scammed do not read these boards, there not smart enough to turn on their computer.

Vhex
Jan 18, 2007, 04:57 PM
On 2007-01-18 13:44, DarkAeon wrote:
99% of the people getting scammed do not read these boards because they're not smart enough to turn on their computers.

Lack of definitive
Run-on Sentence
Word Misuse
Agreement Error

If you are going to call people stupid, use proper grammar.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vhex on 2007-01-18 14:03 ]</font>

Sychosis
Jan 18, 2007, 05:03 PM
Meseta Dupe Scam:

Cheaters get you to drop your money on the ground and will claim they are going to create lag and have you both attempt to pick up the meseta at the same time in hopes of having both players receive the meseta.

Nobody has fallen for it yet to my knowledge.

BLACKR0SE
Jan 18, 2007, 05:12 PM
If you fall for these...something is wrong.

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 18, 2007, 05:14 PM
your third scam is the person being just plain stupid. It asks you to confirm the trade, waits for the other person to do so, then after that asks to finalize. Before rushing to finalize it, check the item is still there! Seriously, anyone who gets screwed over by that is an idiot.

In fact, anyone who gets screwed over by any of them, is an idiot... I have seen shops that sell 5 presents and they say one has the good item. It could easily be a scam, but in all possibility one could have it. That's not a bad idea actually, for the trustworthy people. Get 4 9* synth items, and one 9* weapon. Make 5 presents, price each a good amount lower than a 9* would be, but also a good amount higher than the 9* synth. Enough that you make a profit in total, but if someone does get the weapon, they got a good deal. I may actually start doing this, and no I won't scam people. I've given away low percent 9* weapons because I don't want them. I have no reason to scam, I'm a nice guy, seriously.

THE JACKEL

medusae
Jan 18, 2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah, some of these scams are pretty obvious, but it could possibly be helpful to someone anyhow, especially someone brand new to PSO or online RPGs in general. Good idea.

medusae
Jan 18, 2007, 05:22 PM
PS: Since the sticky about the PM bombing is in Cheaters forum instead of this one, you may want to add that one in too. There are a lot more people that read this board than the Cheating one.

PSU_Rikku
Dec 22, 2008, 11:02 PM
I went to a shop that was full of presents that were WAY overpriced. I think they were trying to make it a guessing game. But anyways I didnt have enough money to buy and try anything :P

buzyb77
Dec 22, 2008, 11:11 PM
good list....

too bad there is not a "cool Present" vending machine run buy the game and not the players...

but yeah

Shops are for sales

Trades are for friends and when you gift an item

never drop anything on the ground unless you want to see it go by by

and Meseta lag.....if that was True you would often find Double rares go up the screen...

Kumlekar
Dec 23, 2008, 12:20 AM
How many levels do you have in the "Thread Necromancer" class? The list is useful, but most are common sense.

LuigiMario
Dec 23, 2008, 12:31 AM
your third scam is the person being just plain stupid. It asks you to confirm the trade, waits for the other person to do so, then after that asks to finalize. Before rushing to finalize it, check the item is still there! Seriously, anyone who gets screwed over by that is an idiot.

In fact, anyone who gets screwed over by any of them, is an idiot... I have seen shops that sell 5 presents and they say one has the good item. It could easily be a scam, but in all possibility one could have it. That's not a bad idea actually, for the trustworthy people. Get 4 9* synth items, and one 9* weapon. Make 5 presents, price each a good amount lower than a 9* would be, but also a good amount higher than the 9* synth. Enough that you make a profit in total, but if someone does get the weapon, they got a good deal. I may actually start doing this, and no I won't scam people. I've given away low percent 9* weapons because I don't want them. I have no reason to scam, I'm a nice guy, seriously.

THE JACKEL

I didn't know EVERY single person new to this game was stupid. If your mamma started playing this game and get scammed that way, does that make her stupid?

Anduril
Dec 23, 2008, 12:33 AM
I didn't know EVERY single person new to this game was stupid. If your mamma started playing this game and get scammed that way, does that make her stupid?
Way to get mad about a post made almost two years ago. >.>

thunder-ray
Dec 23, 2008, 01:05 AM
Way to get mad about a post made almost two years ago. >.>I secound that plus I dont even think that guy post's here anymore.

Jose!
Dec 23, 2008, 01:36 AM
I'm suprised I didn't see my Gacha in here ._.

Dragwind
Dec 23, 2008, 02:07 AM
This topic has served it's purpose, and it's behind the times. Don't bump year old topics.