PDA

View Full Version : What language is Tenora supposed to be?

Zorafim
Jan 19, 2007, 12:20 AM
Certain weapons seem to be in certain languages. For instance, you often see twin daggers and their PAs in japanese (I'm assuming that is japanese), while rifles seem rather english. This language seems to be tied into the company that makes the higher rank weapons, such as the "Python" or "beamgun", which are obviously english. I still cannot figure out what language Tenora is, with their "Muktrands" and their "Dus Daggas" and all that. Anyone know?

Omega_Weltall
Jan 19, 2007, 12:27 AM
not sure, i've been wondering about this my self. i'm guessing some middle eastern language

Ether
Jan 19, 2007, 12:29 AM
Probably Arabic

Kimil
Jan 19, 2007, 12:35 AM
Oh, thats cool, I just thought it was random sounds

Arabic, thatts awesome!
They should make some Latin Weps http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2007-01-18 21:35 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Jan 19, 2007, 02:04 AM
To me it's like a combination of Hebrew, Egyptian, Hindu, and Cryllic (sp?).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2007-01-18 23:05 ]</font>

Shadow_Wing
Jan 19, 2007, 02:08 AM
It's very arabic, or middle eastern. But really it's English with the style of Arabic into it, you can easily read it lol.

Tycho
Jan 19, 2007, 03:24 AM
The Yohmei PA names don't make sense to the Japanese either though. o_O

rena-ko
Jan 19, 2007, 03:25 AM
theyre probably chinese.

and for the moatoob language... i always thought it was just some sort of gibberish, as you find the names of the compareable weapons of other makers in it. *shrugs*

Nani-chan
Jan 19, 2007, 03:25 AM
moatoabian

Itsuki
Jan 19, 2007, 03:27 AM
Obviously, Moatoob is moonspeak.

Pakwan
Jan 19, 2007, 03:37 AM
Mukfet? Reminds me of Kumar's line in one of the episodes of this season of "24":

Friends? You can't even pronounce my name right! It's not Aah-med. It's AKKKKH-med.

HAHAHAHA. Kumar (Kal Penn) will never be taken seriously as an actor. I almost died laughing when I saw him appear in "24" this season.

Turambar
Jan 19, 2007, 03:45 AM
Mmm, nope. Neudaiz language is definitly not Chinese. Well, not Mandarin, Cantonese, or the minor local dialects that I speak at any rate.

imfanboy
Jan 19, 2007, 04:32 AM
It's supposed to be a 'soundalike' style thing, not an exact copy. It LOOKS like an Oriental language, but isn't.

Obviously the devs thought it would be a nifty idea to have an "Engrishy" language on Parum, a "Orientaru" language on Neudaiz, and a "arabiku" language on Moatoob... because, you know, English-speaking countries are run by fascist robots out to further their own agenda, arabic-speaking countries are deserts with rogues of all stripes from the worst to the best and contain hidden wealth that everyone's after, and oriental-speaking countries are delicate islands of calm with the hawttest women around.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2007-01-19 01:33 ]</font>

VR_Pilot
Jan 19, 2007, 04:40 AM
I have a feeling it's based on german. "Dus Daggas" is a good example. Not the first time JP developers add german in games.

JaiBlue
Jan 19, 2007, 04:48 AM
Sie werden dumme Menschen alle vor der überwältigenden Gewalt und der Kraft vom Tierrennen fallen.

Zarbolord
Jan 19, 2007, 05:36 AM
On 2007-01-18 23:04, Sharkyland wrote:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2007-01-18 23:05 ]</font>

No not Cyrrilic, its not the same sounds beleive me >.> Sounds more southern arabic thing than the northern languages.

Alisha
Jan 19, 2007, 06:40 AM
i noticed some of the spears in disgaea 2 have a similar style of naming. its probally oldworld style babalonian or something.

Silenced
Jan 19, 2007, 07:00 AM
Someone mentioned Cyrillic.

It's definitelly not Cyrillic... not that Cyrillic is a language (it's an alphabet). You are thinking eastern european but it's definitelly nowhere close to that.

I guess it's probably arab style english if other people say so.

Vhex
Jan 19, 2007, 08:25 AM
PSU Arabic.

*cough* Actually we beasts just scribble on stuff because we have advanced beyond the need to know how to read/write/Calculus.

Weakness
Jan 19, 2007, 08:34 AM
On 2007-01-19 01:32, imfanboy wrote:
It's supposed to be a 'soundalike' style thing, not an exact copy. It LOOKS like an Oriental language, but isn't.

Obviously the devs thought it would be a nifty idea to have an "Engrishy" language on Parum, a "Orientaru" language on Neudaiz, and a "arabiku" language on Moatoob... because, you know, English-speaking countries are run by fascist robots out to further their own agenda, arabic-speaking countries are deserts with rogues of all stripes from the worst to the best and contain hidden wealth that everyone's after, and oriental-speaking countries are delicate islands of calm with the hawttest women around.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2007-01-19 01:33 ]</font>

Yes, yes this is true. I myself am a CAST and must say I loath all you fleshies with the utmost passion.

You will all die a painful death while we reign over this universe!

-Ryuki-
Jan 19, 2007, 08:37 AM
Sarcasm is love, if done correctly XD

And Val, as I look at that siggy, something doesn't rub me the right way. It looked a lot better when I first made it x_x;

Weakness
Jan 19, 2007, 08:38 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Can redo it if you want, but I am happy with it.

-Ryuki-
Jan 19, 2007, 08:40 AM
Well, as long as you're happy with it XD;

I tried to resize it so that it doesn't exceed 30KB, and.. yeah, that's the best I could do to allow it to fit without looking so ugly.

Gamemako
Jan 19, 2007, 11:32 AM
On 2007-01-19 01:48, JaiBlue wrote:
Sie werden dumme Menschen alle vor der überwältigenden Gewalt und der Kraft vom Tierrennen fallen.

I think an "LOL" is in order here.

MayLee
Jan 19, 2007, 11:37 AM

Come again?

Weakness
Jan 19, 2007, 11:55 AM
On 2007-01-19 08:37, MayLee wrote:

Come again?

My German is a little rusty, but from what I can get it says something along the lines of.

"Stupid Humans, you will all fall to the force and strength of the Beasts."

Some of it is ad libbed because I'm not sure of the word.

JaiBlue
Jan 19, 2007, 11:57 AM
On 2007-01-19 08:55, Weakness wrote:

Come again?

My German is a little rusty, but from what I can get it says something along the lines of.

lol correct *wins a cookie*

Weakness
Jan 19, 2007, 12:03 PM
On 2007-01-19 08:57, JaiBlue wrote:

Come again?

lol correct *wins a cookie*

Yay! *eats his cookie*

;;>.> This doesn't change anything though, when the holocaust comes, the CAST's supremacy shall reign.

AC9breaker
Jan 19, 2007, 12:12 PM
A friend posted this on another message board. Thought it was relavent to this topic and interesting. Although many of us may have already realize this, maybe much more insightful to the newer peeps to this game.

was playing PSU offline this afternoon before Psych Lab, and all of a sudden it hit me like a truck.

PSU is based on Earth

Sure, all games base things on reality. It's extremly difficult to completely fictional things that are completely void of all things your brain has taken in as reality. Today, I will prove that this game is, without a doubt, based on Earth.

Through some gameplay, one can make the assuption that:

Parum = "The West" (Mostly America and Western Europe)

Neudaiz = "The East" (Asia, mostly Japan)

Moatoob - "Middle East" (That place between Africa, Europe, and Asia)

One could argue that these are merely coincidental and maybe that they're lightly based on these cilvilizations. However, walking through the PPT Spaceport, they make it so obvious that the similarities were intentional.

Take a look at this:

Parum
http://www.apocalypse-tribe.com/ac9breaker/parum.jpg

English characters

Neudaiz
http://www.apocalypse-tribe.com/ac9breaker/neudaiz.jpg

Asian characters (look Japanese)

Moatoob
http://www.apocalypse-tribe.com/ac9breaker/moatoob.jpg

Arabic characters

---
After seeing this, it came clear to me that this was no mere coincidence happening inside my brain, it's true.

Parum: Highly urban, advanced, and materialistic. There's a problem of racism and discrimination. Sounds like America!

Neudaiz: A planet with lush forestry. The civilization on this planet wave reverted to a more traditional method of lifestyle. Sounds like Japan! Although they're losing that traditional method with each passing day.

Moatoob: A planet with very extreme weather conditions. There's no stable government and rogues seem to take over power. Sounds like the Middle East!

From PSU, we can come with the idea that whoever makes this game may believe strongly of the possibility of a seperation of peoples amongst culture, not of states. This idea is dicussed very well in Huntington's famous essay, "Clash of Civilizations." However, unlike in his essay where he predicts West vs. East, PSU decided to seperate the Middle East from the East, which makes a good deal of sense.

Anyway, I just saw that as interesting and just wanted to share it with the rest of you guys.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AC9breaker on 2007-01-19 09:23 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
Jan 19, 2007, 12:29 PM

Come again?

Huh, I'm off ;(

They will fall stupid humans all before the overwhelming force and the strength of the animal running.

Weakness
Jan 19, 2007, 12:41 PM
On 2007-01-19 09:29, Sgt_Shliggy wrote:

Huh, I'm off ;(

They will fall stupid humans all before the overwhelming force and the strength of the animal running.

Looks like something bablefish would spit out. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Directly translating words and translating a meaning are two very different things.

Zorafim
Jan 19, 2007, 05:12 PM
So then "Dus Daggas" is just jibberish, then?

ShinMaruku
Jan 19, 2007, 08:07 PM
It's not arabic but rather a mishmash of Semitic/Hametic. Yes Arabs are indeed semites.
Could be Cannanite... nah... if any of them have al or el you got a winner.

Sharkyland
Jan 19, 2007, 08:12 PM
On 2007-01-19 02:36, Zarbolord wrote:

On 2007-01-18 23:04, Sharkyland wrote:

No not Cyrrilic, its not the same sounds beleive me >.> Sounds more southern arabic thing than the northern languages.

I was thinking of what it looks like more of...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2007-01-19 17:19 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
Jan 19, 2007, 08:14 PM
Twould be nice if it where Hammetic... But ST doesn't have the balls.

Sharkyland
Jan 19, 2007, 08:33 PM
Check out the symbols from these languages:
- Ethiopian
- Nepali
- Khmer (Cambodia)
- Burmese
- Lao (Laos)

(checking... Hausa, Malagasy, Shona, Swahili, Tsuwana, Wolof, Xhosa, Yoruba, Zulu [some of the key languages spoken in Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Cameroon, Congo, Egypt, Gambia, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Madagascar, Morocoo, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Zaire, and Zimbabwe])

- going a bit overboard, eh?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2007-01-19 17:50 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
Jan 19, 2007, 08:34 PM
You know that might be just that. Ras Tafari sounds just like that... I now think it is Hammetic.

Genobee
Jan 20, 2007, 01:41 AM
Moatoob seems to speak a combo of African and southern Eurasiain Languages, But I don't think it's tied to any one language but it's oviously influenced by it.

Neudaiz is a mix of the Asian languages

and Parum is Europian but the shaping of the characters is almost Russian in appearance.

Emrald
Jan 20, 2007, 09:34 AM
Everyone forgot the guardians colony...that's isreal! for us jews =D (I'm a jew so no one please flip out)

Errorrrr
Jan 20, 2007, 10:24 AM
Japanese game makers or just Japanese companies in general have the tendancy to use German... I think they either really like German or think it's a superior language along the line of latin.

Wheatpenny
Jan 20, 2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah it looks middle eastern.

ShinMaruku
Jan 20, 2007, 01:12 PM
It's Hametic.
Releated to the language of the Semites. So they are very similar,
If they like cool sounding language they need to have Old English. Anlo-saxon tis cool.

OdinTyler
Jan 20, 2007, 03:27 PM
For purposes of the game, its Moatoobian or Moatoobese (whatever you want to call it). For our eyes, its English in a different font. I see traces of Hindi, various Arabic, & even Sanskrit. Sanskrit is the oldest written language in the world. If ST really wanted to do a nod to the past, thats the way to go. However, true Sanskrit doesnt even resemble English at all, so that cant be it. LOL