PDA

View Full Version : pc users w/ 360 controller ?

Ronin1of47
Jan 19, 2007, 10:44 PM
just wondering what program you all use so your pc recognizes a 360 controller i found a good one but its only a trial and i dont want to pay for the full program

Remedy
Jan 19, 2007, 10:53 PM
Either XBCD or, if you use Windows XP Pro SP2, it recognizes it automatically.

ShinMaruku
Jan 19, 2007, 11:11 PM
I can use my six axis. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Shimarisu-
Jan 19, 2007, 11:15 PM
The 360 controller is shit, it makes it really hard to switch weapons, and ESPECIALLY hard to switch to items menu then scroll through that, I have to do it with two hands.

Seriously, use the PS2 one.

Ronin1of47
Jan 19, 2007, 11:19 PM
On 2007-01-19 20:15, -Shimarisu- wrote:
The 360 controller is shit, it makes it really hard to switch weapons, and ESPECIALLY hard to switch to items menu then scroll through that, I have to do it with two hands.

Seriously, use the PS2 one.

yea well i have a 360 cont. and always hated the ps cont. so ill stick w/ 360 and are u saying its hard to switch item on Pc or 360 w/ the 360 cont?

and thank you Remedy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronin1of47 on 2007-01-19 20:20 ]</font>

Sychosis
Jan 19, 2007, 11:21 PM
I just use the bumpers and triggers to cycle through items quickly. Works fine for me ::shrugs::

Ronin1of47
Jan 19, 2007, 11:22 PM
yea thats what i was gonna say but i wasnt sure if Shimarisu was refering to the 360 or pc ... yet to see if that bumper trigger works on Pc

Shinzakura
Jan 19, 2007, 11:25 PM
I'm using the 360 controller and it's far more comfortable for me to work with than a PS type. I've got the buttons set exactly the way I want them, and I couldn't do that with my "old" Logitech one (which emulated a PS2 Dual Shock - by old, I mean I bought it last September, so it's not that old at all).

Hope more games feature more usage of the 360 pad, especially the X marble atop. That's probably a few extra functions there I could use.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shinzakura on 2007-01-19 20:28 ]</font>

Sekani
Jan 19, 2007, 11:27 PM
Does Shirimasu have miniature hands or something?

nefarious
Jan 19, 2007, 11:31 PM
I dunno ... but be it Xbox or Xbox360... They're vastly superior to PS2/3 controllers...

It MAY be a function of familiarity, for some...

But for people with no particular affinity, or new console users...

I'd be alot that most people would find the xbox controller more intuative and comfortable.

IMHO the 360 controller was a downgrade, I like the S model controller for normal xbox best..

ShinMaruku
Jan 20, 2007, 12:04 AM
Use the six axsi. Best controller. Too bad I can't tilt but Mugen now owns.

foamcup
Jan 20, 2007, 12:33 AM
On 2007-01-19 20:27, Sekani wrote:

I think so. Or he's just an idiot. Seriously, all he does is bitch about the game. Teh HAXXORZ drove him to 360, now he bitches about the controller. He said he was going to quit in some other thread, but guess he's still here.

ANYWAY. I use a 360 controller on my PC, and like Remedy said, get the XBCD 360 driver. Windows XP will recognize it, but without XBCD, PSU won't recognize the triggers.

nefarious
Jan 20, 2007, 12:43 AM
Joy2key is also nice, for some games that for whatever reason don't recognize certain parts of the controller. You can map it to letters, and just set the game to use those letters. I use it for City of Villains, since the game is retarded and doesn't recognize the second analog stick.

Kent
Jan 20, 2007, 02:07 AM
Use the XBCD drivers, they allow the triggers to be recognized as digital buttons, when you set it up correctly.

It's also the best standard-type controller ever designed - I can do everything I need to in PSU except chat, perfectly with it (which includes swapping weapons/items).

-Shimarisu-
Jan 20, 2007, 03:33 AM
On 2007-01-19 21:33, foamcup wrote:

On 2007-01-19 20:27, Sekani wrote:

I think so. Or he's just an idiot. Seriously, all he does is bitch about the game. Teh HAXXORZ drove him to 360, now he bitches about the controller. He said he was going to quit in some other thread, but guess he's still here.

Wow you're really retarded, I'm one of the biggest advocates of this game there is, selective reading much?

Oh no I don't like the same controller you like! I can understand being a fanboy of a console, I mean some ARE better than others for different genres, but a fanboy of a controller, that's really pushing it.

My hands are small. I'm not actually a guy.

BWS-1
Jan 20, 2007, 08:28 AM
ah, it's threads like that that keeps me coming back to PSOW

Anyway, back on topic

I wish there could be be some sort of new dreamcast controller (even tho there is no more dreamcast, haha I know it's silly: I'm silly anyway). You know, the kind that would have all the buttons the PS2 and 360 controller has, while keeping its shape? I'd buy crates of it.

The 360 controller is comfortable but I just seem to be unable to play PSU as much as I used to play PSO on dreamcast just as long; I end up getting cramps in 2 of my fingers from my left hand.

Just like when I test games; I could go on double shifts testing PS2 or PSP games without problems, but just a day on the 360 turns out to be a bitch... maybe I'm just getting old. Bleh.

Errorrrr
Jan 20, 2007, 10:29 AM
I agree with Shirorisu... the weird feel of the trigger on the Xbox 360 controller makes it so awkward to use... and the two analogue stick takes a while to get use to since the left analogue is ontop of the dpad it just feels awakrd.

you can probably say XBOX 360 is good if you can get use to it, but the PS2 is so standard that ANYONE should be able to get use to. just look at the xbox360 controller... it's just got a different shape than the PS2 controller... the layout is like carbon copy of the PS2 controller... so how is it better???

Sychosis
Jan 20, 2007, 10:43 AM
On 2007-01-20 07:29, Errorrrr wrote:
I agree with Shirorisu... the weird feel of the trigger on the Xbox 360 controller makes it so awkward to use... and the two analogue stick takes a while to get use to since the left analogue is ontop of the dpad it just feels awakrd.

you can probably say XBOX 360 is good if you can get use to it, but the PS2 is so standard that ANYONE should be able to get use to. just look at the xbox360 controller... it's just got a different shape than the PS2 controller... the layout is like carbon copy of the PS2 controller... so how is it better???

It's better for the exact reason you say it is awkward. The left stick is in a far more natural position than on a PS controller.

Jasam
Jan 20, 2007, 11:48 AM
On 2007-01-20 07:43, Sychosis wrote:

On 2007-01-20 07:29, Errorrrr wrote:

It's better for the exact reason you say it is awkward. The left stick is in a far more natural position than on a PS controller.

For games with movement controled primarily by the left stick, being above the d-pad is much more natural.

This is coming form someone who has played with both PS2 controller and an X-Box 360/GC controlers for a long time

Warning
Jan 20, 2007, 11:58 AM
i totally agree with every one that said use the XBCD drivers! they pwn! lets u customise the controller to no end well almost roflz!

btw has anyone noticed that it rumbles with the XBCD drivers and the WinXP ones don't? it rumbles when u get hit or something which kicks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

personally i think the xbox controller has some advantages over the ps2 in that it has triggers, so if ur playing a driving sim (either on the pc or xbox) u can control the accelerator and brake alot more than u can with just buttons! but then again ppl have different preferences

Sychosis
Jan 20, 2007, 11:59 AM
On 2007-01-20 08:48, Jasam wrote:
For games with movement controled primarily by the left stick, being above the d-pad is much more natural.

This is coming form someone who has played with both PS2 controller and an X-Box 360/GC controlers for a long time

Exactly. The last game I remember playing that allowed movement via d-pad was one of the dynasty warriors games...

KyokoHunter
Jan 20, 2007, 03:17 PM
I bought myself an Xbox 360 controller for my PC because I predicted that playing PSU with the keyboard wouldn't be as good as playing it with a controller, and I guessed right!

I find the 360 controlller reminiscent of the Dreamcast controller, which broke me into PSO. It's a lot more comfortable than trying to use a keyboard and easier to control the character as all the buttons are within quicker reach, not to mention the analog stick giving better control over direction.

The only minor issues are the Start and Back buttons being a bit tricky to press, trying to use the D-pad in menus whilst walking around and PSU's way of assigning controls to buttons (not as easy as it looks!). By the way, I'm using the official drivers from Microsoft.

Excusing those, I'm glad to be using a 360 controller for PSU .