PDA

View Full Version : The PC/PS2 refugees thread, why did YOU quit for 360/JP?

-Shimarisu-
Jan 20, 2007, 05:26 PM
Well microsoft just asked me to update to Gold (I did not) so I guess it's been one month since I skipped over to the "fat white maggot that is draining my life away" (my husband's loving words for it). Iromic because most those games in my sig are junk he downloaded...but I digress.

One month on marked the departure of yet another of my old regular teammates to 360. Yep he went out and splashed out on a unit just to play PSU too.

Yet another is now back with his old account on JP. There are not many of my friends on PC/PS2 left.

This is not a flaming thread, cite your reasons and regrets here!

Why I quit for 360: My friend came into the IRC chan I frequent and informed me that ray photons were selling at 5000m and people were paying that. That mihgt seem astonishining low to some people now, but it was the first sign of the ruined economy. I went on PSU and shot off an emo note to my friends that I was quitting. I VERY MUCH DOUBT I really meant it, I just overreact and hell, overreacting on the internet does no damage in real life so I'm prone to it.

However I moaned a good while in my chan about how bad the situation was and how I really, really wish I'd started on 360 instead, and whether I could afford it, and whether it was worth restarting, and if I quit, would you quit too?

While I was asleep my best friend went out and bought a 360.

I bought a 360.

The perks of 360: I'll handle that in a bit so to start off I'll moan about 360 so the advocacy clowns do not jump on me all at once.

The downfalls of 360: The slowdown still bugs me. I had a very good PC setup and all my friends who quit say they do not see it, so eh. I also hate the mic, and having the JP edition I'm prone to pretending to be Japanese by greeting people with japanese text mixed with english, PURELY SO THEY DON'T TALK TO ME. I'm crippled re. Bruces. I just bought a headset as a result, something I wish I didn't have to do. Also I really miss the three friends I left on PC. They are people I have known for going on 2 years of this series. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Yep and I still miss my PS2 joypad.

Is the game better?

Absolutely. The economy is sheer bliss. There aren't a bunch of noobs running around with end-game equips. It's challenging. On 360 a noob is a noob, not an overpowered idiot taking down mobs for huge damage. On 360 a noob does shit for damage, and can die in the stupidest scenarios. But I tolerate it for the class I wanted to play, a USEFUL support player, not somebody who was essentially useless in currently available areas cause all anybody cared about was DPS in situations underpowered for them. On 360 good players play mostly for support, not DPS. Support players are greatly valued, well balanced teams run like a dream, nobody scoffs at Wartechers et al for doing less damage on one mob, they welcome them. Nobody has a full arsenal of shitty % A ranks, on 360 I have seen maybe ONE OR TWO 9*s in open games so far. We are at a level that the game economy intended us to be at, and the game is not a cakewalk as a result. We still have a strong playerbase on 360 too, it has not dwindled in the month I joined, if anything if's got bigger. I've seen up to 3 unis full, usually 1 and 2 a full, 3 is half full at peak times.

The bugs? The glitches left in? I already wrote off my 450 on PC, I learned to play without it. I don't care about the board glitch... for now. It'll only have real damage on the economy when more S ranks come in. I really hope they fix it, but for now if you're part of the economy you should know that 99% of people use it, it's not damaging the economy as of now because people are STILL using B ranks.

I also LOVE the clothes glitch, and the current balance of hunter PAs. I'm not even a hunter before you ask, I'm a ranger. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I love the damage hunters get. If the 360 is never patched for the tweaks to hunter PAs, just as it was never patched for other bugs, I'll rejoice. I'll admit MS do not service PS games as well as they did on other platforms, but if I have to be stuck in a game I already love with less content, I take heart in the fact MS are also FAR less likely to shut a dying game down - GC/DC PSO is about to be canned, but the X-box ver lives on in its eternal christmas glory.

In short I have some regrets, but I'm really glad I jumped ship.

Please do not flame in this thread! This is for players who quit to reflect on PC/PS2 maturely, not for advocacy flame wars.

To close: I hate Microsoft. It IS a big fat maggot sucking my life away. But I love PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2007-01-20 14:28 ]</font>

Gazette
Jan 20, 2007, 05:29 PM
Meseta's worthless now, I have two maxed chars...
Trading item's is where it's at.

I love PSU too, but not enough to give up my PC for a 360,

Thrash777
Jan 20, 2007, 05:36 PM
Wow... I think you just covered ALL the advantages and disadvantages for both platforms right there...

Gojin
Jan 20, 2007, 05:37 PM
360 sucks balls, and Blue Dragon looks hella kiddy.

Thrash777
Jan 20, 2007, 05:41 PM
On 2007-01-20 14:37, Gojin wrote:

Now, y'see, the OP has just said that this ISN'T a flame topic (and there shouldn't be any anyway), and what you just said there is blatantly trolling and flaming...

Dj_SkyEpic
Jan 20, 2007, 05:44 PM
On 2007-01-20 14:29, Gazette wrote:
Same!~

Especially just because the economy is overpricing things. I would just farm the items I want instead of searching through shops.

Gojin
Jan 20, 2007, 05:44 PM
On 2007-01-20 14:41, Thrash777 wrote:

On 2007-01-20 14:37, Gojin wrote:

Now, y'see, the OP has just said that this ISN'T a flame topic (and there shouldn't be any anyway), and what you just said there is blatantly trolling and flaming...

he/she or whatever it is, always flames and trolls on other people's topics so Im returning the favor.

Eliash
Jan 20, 2007, 05:46 PM
I guess I don't belong here since I started out on the Xbox anyhow. But the part about using B-rank weapons still, I'm 65 and I have 6 B-rank weapons and 6 A-rank weapons...2 of those are 8* the other 4 are 7*.

Tycho
Jan 20, 2007, 05:48 PM
Reasons for when I do: economy, linked servers, less slow-down than on my current PC, (voice chat).

-Shimarisu-
Jan 20, 2007, 05:51 PM
On 2007-01-20 14:48, Tycho wrote:
Reasons for when I do: economy, linked servers, less slow-down than on my current PC, (voice chat).

I forgot that... the linked servers. It has the global atmosphere of PSO. On PSO if I got sick of western players' bullshit, I would jump to JP ships. If I got sick of JP players' bullshit (OH GOD WERE SOME OF EM INSUFFERABLE NERDS) I'd jump back.

Oh but I'm being a dick here and only saying I would play with one culture to avoid the others' bullshit. But barring friends on each of the servers that's sadly true.

Almalexia
Jan 20, 2007, 07:14 PM
Sticking around on the PC version right now for a friend. . .but I don't know how long my will to resist moving on will last. If so my reason for leaving would surely be because it is a dying platform ~ people keep leaving.

Garnet_Moon
Jan 20, 2007, 07:51 PM
I'm not leaving the PC/PS2 side for anything. My friends who left went back to WoW and FFXI. They didn't jump to the 360. I guess I don't have much to add other than that? I love PSU and my friends are staying on the PC side, so that is where I will be. The problems with consoles are gone on my PC so that is just a plus.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-01-20 16:52 ]</font>

WildArms2
Jan 20, 2007, 07:58 PM
I Switched over to the 360 version 2 days ago and it it is bliss, great economy, less slowdown added specials effects, voice chat, and more players.

LV 20 here!!!

Goes back to play PSU on 360...

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 20, 2007, 07:58 PM
the economy is far from a good enough reason for me to switch. I have enough friends that we trade stuff. I get photons to make weapons and such, so no one has to spend on the ridiculous prices, and the good items all get traded between people as opposed to sold. You won't find a crea double in store, because anyone with one either uses it, or trades it for another rare item.

THE JACKEL

zanotam
Jan 20, 2007, 07:59 PM
yah if you got to 360 you lose pc problem but gain 360 problems. if you go to pc you lose 360 problems but gain pc problems. Personally having money makes it more like PSO IMHO while in 360 its more like a normal MMORPG (MMOARPG? Massively multiplayer ONline Action Role Playing Game?)

Itsuki
Jan 20, 2007, 08:15 PM
On 2007-01-20 14:29, Gazette wrote:
Meseta's worthless now, I have two maxed chars...
Trading item's is where it's at.

The difference is, the economy is so integral to everything in the JP version. You can't get by without being a part of it and it makes buying and selling what you want really simple. It also adds certain quirks to things in games.

For example, armor holds its value like almost nothing else in the game. You never really lose more than say... 5% price on NPC bought armor. And it will be gone within a couple days. If you really want it to mov efast, you can put it up for like a 10% discount and have it gone in a day.

People also start their own markets and niches in the economy since truthfully, you don't have to synth if you don't want to. And you can still get elemental weapons for the price of store bought green weapons or even less.

In the US version I'm almost appauled some time at just how easy it is to get money. I had to work my butt off to get my A-rank weapons. If two 8 stars didn't drop for me in Agata Relics S, I probably wouldn't have had many of my A-ranks. In the time I make ~100k in the JP version, I can easily get a few mil on the US version. Its just silly. The inflation also makes it so you are forced to synth for yourself, or synth within your group of friends.

BloodDragoon
Jan 20, 2007, 08:27 PM
On 2007-01-20 16:51, Garnet_Moon wrote:
I'm not leaving the PC/PS2 side for anything. My friends who left went back to WoW and FFXI. They didn't jump to the 360. I guess I don't have much to add other than that? I love PSU and my friends are staying on the PC side, so that is where I will be. The problems with consoles are gone on my PC so that is just a plus.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-01-20 16:52 ]</font>

Same here though any friend of mine that quit WoW will NEVER go back to it lol. XD I still play FFXI personally and you can attribute that game to a decent % of my idling time on PSU. If we had something like linkchat on PSU I probably wouldn't idle as much. Though I'm sure people were wondering why a high lvl character was in C rank rainbow beast for 4 1/2 hours when I felt the need to go HNM hunting in FFXI... >.>

Seira7
Jan 20, 2007, 08:28 PM
Funny thing is, I quit PSu PS2 early on because of graphics only. I am a graphics ho', and the ps2 version was not cutting it for me. Perhaps I was used to playing much prettier ps2 games in progressive scan...anyhoo,

I got a 360 as an early xmas present. I was prepared to be disappointed by other 360 games but I am pleasantly suprised by how much I like DOA4, Viva Pinata, Kameo and geometry wars, plus I am all stoked for Mass Effect and Infinite Undiscovery. Not to mention, PSU looks amazing in high def. So I quit ps2 for the 360 eye candy, and now I can enjoy a hack free game too (I hate voice chat though)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Seira7 on 2007-01-20 17:48 ]</font>

Gulkeeva
Jan 20, 2007, 08:35 PM
I like my winamp + video viewing options while playing PSU and watching flame threads n "anime related pic viewing" while playing.

That and I like using keyboard

and 1 feature Xbox360 lacks is...
ease of recordability + panty screenshotting!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gulkeeva on 2007-01-20 17:35 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Jan 20, 2007, 08:37 PM
On 2007-01-20 17:35, Gulkeeva wrote:
and 1 feature Xbox360 lacks is...
ease of recordability + panty screenshotting!

The 360 also lacks me. That alone is insta-fail.

ShinMaruku
Jan 20, 2007, 08:40 PM
Not if I der AlFæder appear on it. Then it will ascend

_Deliverance_
Jan 20, 2007, 09:40 PM
I just couldn't be bothered to buy an xbox 360. The economy is what it is. While it is like playing on easy mode, once you get rolling financially, but w/e. I play with my friends, and we have good times. mmo's are only as good as the friends you play with.

Sinue_v2
Jan 21, 2007, 10:41 PM
*Flames Shimarisu* - It's a nasty flame, and it really hurts your feelings. Fill in the details as appropriate.

Anyhow, I haven't quite switched over yet - but I've been spending far more time with the 360 demo than the actual PS2 game for a few reasons....

1. The slowdown doesn't bother me, and although it's there it's nowhere near as bad as the PS2 version - but I HATE waiting on weapons to load up. It is INCREADIBLY annoying to stand around for 5-8 seconds absolutely worthless while hoping that Resta loads in time so that I can cast it. I haven't run across that issue on the 360 yet.

2. Voice chat can be annoying, but at least it solves the problem of having word-bubbles cover the HP bars obscuring your view of who needs healed. It's also much nicer for doling out strategies and other time critical communications while in the heat of combat. Or at least, if nothing else, it keeps the party moving instead of having to take "chat breaks".

3. At least on the demo - the first five universes are full at peak hours. While 1 full Universe provides plenty of people to play with - I like mixing it up with the larger crowds.

4. Graphics, obviously, are much better... as is the frame rate most of the time. Maybe I'm a bit of a graphics whore too - but little things like the stupid "grain filter" which covers the screen when you go to First Person View Mode on the PS2 really bother me. Also, the graphics are very, very, dark on the PS2 for some reason, and I have trouble viewing details on (for example) the cave walls in Parum Mad Creatures. It all looks black to me - but I can see them clearly and vibrantly on the X360 using the stock Component Cables. (PS2 has Monster brand Component Cables)

5. I like the extra features of Xbox Live, such as access to my friend's list, music player, ect.

I like my winamp + video viewing options while playing PSU and watching flame threads n "anime related pic viewing" while playing.

I've already got that covered, at least on my setup. My Component to VGA adapter is an external model, and can provide Picture in Picture display over my PC desktop so that I have direct access to all my PC's functions while still being able to play games on my consoles.

Rashiid
Jan 21, 2007, 11:35 PM
#1 reason to switch to the 360:

L
E
G
I
T

hackfree fun, legitness

u see sumone w/ a uber-cool weapon, u can say 'a-diggady-dammm, congrats' since its NOT easy to come acoss to

Cav
Jan 21, 2007, 11:41 PM
"Is the game better?

Absolutely."

I think this is where you may invite flames,

but even with all the problems pc/ps2 has, I still play it because I don't play it caring what other people have. I play it for my friends on there.

twysted
Jan 21, 2007, 11:58 PM
great post -Shimarisu-

Dragonkat
Jan 22, 2007, 12:07 AM
Stopped playing after the first rash of S rank hacks being released myself. Probably won't renew or bother going to the 360 though due to lack of funds and SEGA's lack of giving a damn about PSU. Well unless you're wearing glitched clothing, so earth shattering that. [/sarcasm]

PSU became in 3 months what at least took PSO a year+ to accomplish. A total hacked to hell and back joke. It's not worth sticking around to work my butt off and be proud and poor. And then 2 months from now have myself lou'ed or maya'ed. Better to just quit while I'm ahead.

Sitka
Jan 22, 2007, 12:17 AM
Hey Shim,

I've played every platform and xbox 360 is the cleanest thus far.

Trying to make enough meseta to buy anything worthwhile is unbelievably difficult right now - whatever - I have a hard time amassing enough meseta to get anything.

I'll run with you shim anytime. Look up CABER on 360 and send a shoutout.

Bobkitty
Jan 22, 2007, 12:55 AM
On 2007-01-20 14:26, -Shimarisu- wrote:
Well microsoft just asked me to update to Gold (I did not) so I guess it's been one month since I skipped over to the "fat white maggot that is draining my life away"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2007-01-20 14:28 ]</font>

LMAO!! That is awesome!

Fleur-de-Lis
Jan 22, 2007, 01:35 AM
On 2006-12-16 01:12, Fleur-de-Lis wrote:
On that note, does anyone think a system of trade would help stave off problems associated with an economy flooded with Meseta?
Yeah, it turns out it does.

As for the original post, I fled to JP for what I perceived to be added legitimacy, particularly in the economy. Decent elemental weapons for less than the price of the same neutral weapons from the NPC Vendors is damn right. Not to mention the team mentality and civility that sets the JP players apart from the average Universe 1-2 experience.

In regards to Microsoft®©™, I'm with Shimarisu. I've not spent money on anything MS since 1999, and I don't plan on doing it ever again, even if the 360 is the best thing they've ever done.

Sinue_v2
Jan 22, 2007, 01:41 AM
PSU became in 3 months what at least took PSO a year+ to accomplish.

Apperantly, you never played PSO. PSU's level of cheating is absolutely nothing compaired to the mess that PSO was, even in it's early days. Were the PS2 servers not connected to the PC servers, then the PS2 version would most likely be almost X360 clean themselves. And for the record, PSO PC had far more, and FAR MORE HARMFUL cheats out within 24 hours of it's release than what PSU has, or probably ever will have. The only reason why the NGC version wasn't cheated en-mass immediately was the lack of a cheat device to use on it. Even then, shop dupe (and the more common memory-card pull dupe whatever) was out from day 1.

With all it's problems, PSU for the PC/PS2 is still a goddamned paradise compaired to the old days - expecially the v.1/v.2 days.

Itsuki
Jan 22, 2007, 02:19 AM
On 2007-01-21 22:41, Sinue_v2 wrote:

PSU became in 3 months what at least took PSO a year+ to accomplish.

Apperantly, you never played PSO. PSU's level of cheating is absolutely nothing compaired to the mess that PSO was, even in it's early days. Were the PS2 servers not connected to the PC servers, then the PS2 version would most likely be almost X360 clean themselves. And for the record, PSO PC had far more, and FAR MORE HARMFUL cheats out within 24 hours of it's release than what PSU has, or probably ever will have. The only reason why the NGC version wasn't cheated en-mass immediately was the lack of a cheat device to use on it. Even then, shop dupe (and the more common memory-card pull dupe whatever) was out from day 1.

With all it's problems, PSU for the PC/PS2 is still a goddamned paradise compaired to the old days - expecially the v.1/v.2 days.

Xbox is in a similar situation as far as the reason for there being a lack of cheating, is theres a lack of cheating devices. But thats more largely due to Microsofts efforts, than to SoA's efforts.

And its probably very possible to hack on ps2, but it just doesn't look like its persued because its so eas y to do on PC, or it would involve a PC proxy.

Almalexia
Jan 22, 2007, 05:56 AM
Amen. . .

That's why the cheating on PSU doesn't bother me, and it shouldn't bother others. FSOD is gone, and you have no worries of character corruption. And your character can't be 'ck'ed' in a game by another player.

PSOBB as I've heard, has it the worst of all the PSOs.

NinjaSalad
Jan 22, 2007, 07:23 AM
I played PSO V2, and there was a fucking booma in the lobby killing people and I got NOL'd every few weeks to boot.

Fun stuff. PSU hacks have nothing on the dreamcast days