PDA

View Full Version : 9* weapon woes

Bobkitty
Jan 21, 2007, 11:45 PM
Now of course everyone is going to think this is about failing synths and what not, but that isn't my problem.

It seems to me, that 9*'s just aren't worth selling.. at least not on the 360 version. I've had no problems selling 8*'s for 120-180k, yet I can't even push out a 22% lightning dagger for 170k, 5k more than the damn board.

Just a moment ago I had someone offer me 135k for an 18% dark Katsuno-zashi.. 30k less than the board itself.. Personally, when I sell weapons, I'd like the weapon to at least cover the costs of the board, and that's not to mention the mats involved with 9*'s.

Now many of you may say "give it time" or "Choose more popular element/achieve a higher %". Only problem with that is, I've given it plenty of time and which element it is has never mattered too much. At least not enough to not even be able to sell it at the board price.

Is this just me, or is anyone else having this same problem?

Are 9*'s meant to be kept and NEVER sold?!

P.S I hope I made sense, I took a few T3's earlier. my apologies if not :3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bobkitty on 2007-01-21 20:46 ]</font>

LordJoe
Jan 21, 2007, 11:50 PM
lol i wish the PC and PS2 economy was the same as the 360. you are lucky. in our economy... the dagger would sell for 1 mil no prob.

Bobkitty
Jan 21, 2007, 11:52 PM
I suppose your right. I could consider myself lucky.. But at the same time 1 mil doesnt sound bad. Then again, from what I hear I'd be lucky to afford a trimate for that much.

Guess that's just a reminder that it can always be/get worse.

Dj_SkyEpic
Jan 21, 2007, 11:53 PM
The 9* aren't worth selling at all. When the updates come out with A grinders, everyone's going to be rushing to create those A+10's.

I myself chose not to sell any 9* weapons only because I'm holding onto them to grind it all up for the future XD

VanHalen
Jan 21, 2007, 11:56 PM
in my community a ray- photon cost 100K http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
but why sell a 9 star weapon arent they real strong and special?

LordJoe
Jan 21, 2007, 11:58 PM
no you are very lucky. imagin a world where you can buy infinite items from the NPC (they are basically free cuz every1 has so much money) but you cant buy ANYTHING that you cant get from the NPC (AMYTHING that you cant get from the NPC is overpriced like FU** or pricless).......o.o.......so......cold.........

HANG ON TO YOUR ELEMENTAL PHOTONS!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Garnet_Moon
Jan 21, 2007, 11:59 PM
Howrods are good for my business.

Bobkitty
Jan 22, 2007, 12:04 AM
Well honestly I'm rather lazy and can't seem to put more than 40 mins a day into playing(as of late). I did stock up on a few 9* boards though, mainly my goal, was to sell one weap to have a few shots at sything more. Like I used to.

DJ_Skyepic, thanks I think I'm going to start holding on to them aswell. Have you found the demand for 7* and 8*'s to still be fairly high? I don't really wanna drop the weapon business all together.

Vanhalen, Basically, it IS the best A rank afterall.. Also why I'm so surpised that they havent sold.. I thought people would be chewing each others legs off to grab any 9* they could for a decent price.

Garnet_Moon
Jan 22, 2007, 12:14 AM
On 2007-01-21 21:04, Bobkitty wrote:
Well honestly I'm rather lazy and can't seem to put more than 40 mins a day into playing(as of late). I did stock up on a few 9* boards though, mainly my goal, was to sell one weap to have a few shots at sything more. Like I used to.

DJ_Skyepic, thanks I think I'm going to start holding on to them aswell. Have you found the demand for 7* and 8*'s to still be fairly high? I don't really wanna drop the weapon business all together.

Vanhalen, Basically, it IS the best A rank afterall.. Also why I'm so surpised that they havent sold.. I thought people would be chewing each others legs off to grab any 9* they could for a decent price.

People aren't buying 9*'s(cept force and ranger items) because the damage boost isn't too significant over 8*. A 8* 50% is as good or better than a 9* 50% because of the price alone.

shewby
Jan 22, 2007, 12:15 AM
striking weapons dont sell as well as ranged or technic. a striking pm is easiest to make and most common. i have no trouble selling 9* guns for 200k or more.

VanHalen
Jan 22, 2007, 12:16 AM
On 2007-01-21 20:58, LordJoe wrote:
no you are very lucky. imagin a world where you can buy infinite items from the NPC (they are basically free cuz every1 has so much money) but you cant buy ANYTHING that you cant get from the NPC (AMYTHING that you cant get from the NPC is overpriced like FU** or pricless).......o.o.......so......cold.........

HANG ON TO YOUR ELEMENTAL PHOTONS!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

i do hang on to my photons i like collecting them too. its like a easter egg hunt.

Bobkitty
Jan 22, 2007, 12:26 AM
LordJoe, that does sound rather hellish really. I would hate to worry so much about photons alone.

Garnet_Moon/Shewby, would it really be worth the investment to make a pure ranged/tech pm? I know in the long run it more than would make up for the investment, but is the demand high enough to notice a good difference right away?

Also I'd like to add, I believe this topic brought some attention to my shop and ended up selling a Katsuno-zashi (under board price, worked out a trade basically), but this is not my intention. I am only seeking advice, a place to rant, and people to rant with http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Dj_SkyEpic
Jan 22, 2007, 12:29 AM
It's still easier to sell of 7-8* since 9* are too expensive to make/sell. Your best bet is to make 9* for yourself, and make the lower rarities for you to sell. But if you successfully get high % weapons (50%) then that's something worth keeping from an 7-9* since you can practically trade them off for crazy money/items.

Bobkitty
Jan 22, 2007, 12:43 AM
Cool thanks, guess from here on out i'll just sell 8*'s and low ele % 9*'s for cheap.. I'll consider making a pure ranged/tech PM too, thanks everyone for your input. I feel much better having some sort of reason, as to why things weren't working out for me.

Reiichi
Jan 22, 2007, 03:05 AM
It will be hard for me to give advice as you are on 360 and not PS/PC so I am unfamiliar with your economy.

I would imagine money is tight, and that most weapon synths are done via farmed materials rather than NPC bought materials.

9* weapons are expensive. A 50% 9* weapon would be reserved for the elite of the elite. But a low % weapon that is 9* fails. A 5* that is 50% would beat it out. I remember doing comparable damage between with a +4 3* 50% dagger and a 8* 10% dagger. Now, most people should know this, that a good elemental 5-6* weapon beats out a crap elemental A weapon. For those weapons which are only A rank, a good 7* weapon beats out a crap 9* weapon.

On PC/PS2, crap 9* sell because 1. the majority of people don't know any better, and 2. they have too much money so they spend it wastefully. While the 360 might have their share of people who "don't know any better" it is unlikely that they will have the money to spend it on that 9* weapon that is sitting in your shop.

I'm not sure what kind of advice I can give you in regards to profiting, but your market doesn't have people with tons of money to spend. 7* weapons will likely be in demand because some people need A weapons, yet don't want to spend much. So there will possibly be a market to dump trash elementals. There will also be people willing to pay more for good elemental 7*, as a good elemental 7* will perform better than a trash 9*.

I wouldn't touch the 9* market, as you probably have very little chance of moving trash elementals, and a limited elite group who are willing to pay a lot for the miracle 50%.

JeNousAime
Jan 22, 2007, 04:01 AM
ya man i feel you, I'm reconsidering synthing high rank weapons for a living now as well. I cant even push my 8 star single claws with 20 plus percent for anything over 100k >_<. I guess the demand has just died down a bit, at least for hunter weapons, as I have had no problem selling two 9 star ranger weapons recently.

Garnet_Moon
Jan 22, 2007, 04:58 AM
I use my Tech PM for my income. My strike is for my Crea Weps and "Well, let's see what happens if I synth 20 of these." ventures and whims.

Paid off today. I nearly wet myself when I checked my synths 3 hours ago.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8039/sharp13ls.jpg

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4922/sharp21wq.jpg

Moments like these make it oh so worth it. ^_^

As for the 9* woe? They add like 40 more ATP on weapons. Not worth it. For melee weapons, the trend is as follows...

anything you want until you can equip 6*'s.
Keep 6*'s until you can get 8*'s.
If you choose to keep your 6*'s for whatever reason, grind them to be equivalent to 8*'s.
If you upgrade from 6*'s make it 8* or 10*.

All melee upgrades should be made on even numbers. 2*, 4*, 6*, 8*, 10* 12*. Those 6* and 8*'s can have alot of life in them if they are ground.

If you upgrade to an uneven rank number like 9* you are either impatient or want a different color handle or hilt. You're not doing it for the extra ATP, that's for sure. It's negligible.

All my 6*'s on my Human WT alt are grinded to at LEAST +5.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-01-22 02:02 ]</font>

Bobkitty
Jan 22, 2007, 08:10 AM
I'm definatly impatient when it comes to new things.

After reading through all of this, I have definatly decided to just keep any 9* I make (gotta use up them boards :/) then get back to synthing 7-8* I kinda thought I should wait around for 10*'s but at the same time, I hadn't a clue how long that might be..

btw, that is an AWESOME set of sharp twins! gib? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Reiichii, money usually flows like wine, but every big update everything just dries right up. Either way what you say makes perfect sense, I even tested out a 44% Ice durandel, did near identical damage as my 26% Rapier.

JeNousAime, it's a shame really, but it feels better knowing I'm not the only one having these troubles.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bobkitty on 2007-01-22 05:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bobkitty on 2007-01-22 05:14 ]</font>

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 22, 2007, 08:30 AM
I agree... up until the point where the best you can equip of a weapon is 9* A rank. The weapons I can only equip up to A rank, I am trying to get good 9* weapons. And I will grind them when it becomes available. I want the best I can get, simple as that. Of course, I do have an 8* jogiri, and I'm not going above that because I like having the poison effect on the weapon.

THE JACKEL

Nayte
Jan 22, 2007, 08:31 AM
I make 9* starts still because of the fact alot of people dont know any better and i can always sell them. However, if i get anything like this, theres no way im putting for sale for meseta. I'll use it until i can find something worth trading for it. (just got two of these not too long ago)
EDIT: You make think im crazy but im going to grind these when i have 3 luck and the A grinders are out.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/Nayfe_2006/psu20070116_082946_000.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nayte on 2007-01-22 05:32 ]</font>

Vhex
Jan 22, 2007, 08:47 AM
I suggest, crafting and selling 8*s melees, why?

#1: The weapons are significantly easier to craft for much less money than you would make selling the 9*. Example: Vestaline is convertable and cheap while Vulcaline is both costly and unavailable from the NPC.

#2. 8* Are in the ideal price range of all A ranks, They are cheaper than 9* and more powerful than 7*.

#3. The synthesis itself is easier for 8* over 9*.

#4. The stats are NOT that much better than those of the 8* weapons.

#5. Black is cooler than Blue. =)

So, the cost of 9* is too high and does not justify the statistic increase. Go with 8* until the materials become more available.

BTW: You don't always have to sell above the board, you have three possible successful synthesese on the board.

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 22, 2007, 09:31 AM
Vulcaline is available from the NPC, you can buy everything to synth a 9* from the NPC

And if you're on PC/PS2, price isn't really an issue, plus, the more you fail, the more money that leaves the economy, so you're helping to balance it out!

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2007-01-22 06:33 ]</font>

Bobkitty
Jan 22, 2007, 09:43 AM
I'll trade you my family and a snickers bar for that heavy twin! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bobkitty on 2007-01-22 06:44 ]</font>

Magician
Jan 22, 2007, 10:54 AM
The base cost for one 9* melee synth is 165k per board and 90k for materials. Minus the cost of whatever materials you already have in stock. It's not that difficult to raise that kind of meseta in a few days grinding. When it comes down to it, 9* weapons are just sexier. *crazyeyes*

Mmmm, so 1337 so 1337, haha.

Anyway, yeah, I've stopped making them since I'm content with those I have.

Trying to save up for when Orpalines come out for X360; I'm guessing it'll cost me like 2.5 million meseta or some crazy number like that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Magician on 2007-01-22 07:54 ]</font>

Laranas
Jan 22, 2007, 11:07 AM
I think the real discussion is:
5* armor on a 100 Armor PM = 56%
9* melee weapon on a 100 Strike PM = 55%

Discuss.

Reiichi
Jan 22, 2007, 12:51 PM
You likely only need at most 1 armor of each element unless you are big on TP bonuses or set bonuses or A units. Although having a full set of elemental phantom lines is nice, most rangers shouldn't be getting hit much to begin with. A fortefighter, who relies on the defensive properties of armor more than any other job, does just fine with 4* and 5* armors from my experience.

Although low * high elemental % weapons are great, there's still the ata issue and attacking from behind is not always an option. You also likely need multiple weapons of each element and also of different types since weapons are situational. I think I have a 15:1 ratio of synthed weapons to synthed armor.

As for the resale value of armor, the point is moot. If something succeeds with only a 10% chance then it will likely sell for close to 10x the cost it takes to make it. If something succeeds with a 50% chance then it will only sell for close to 2x the cost to make it.

To those that have too much money to spend, and therefore I refer to the PC/PS crowd. Nothing wrong with synthing 9*s. Sadly the biggest cost in synthing now are the photons themselves, and I am not about to waste precious elemental photons on synthing a 6*. Although 9* will fail more than a 7* or 8*, for many jobs the 9* weapon is the best of the best in terms of what their class will allow them to use. You can either mull around with high 7*s or go for completion with a high 9*. Since I was synthing 8*s before 9*s came out, I am not replacing my good 8* weapons with 9*s since indeed, there isn't much of a boost. If it's a new weapon type and element that I don't have though, I'll definately go for the 9*.

I would never ever grind a 50% 9* weapon, and especially an ice one unless it was a 100% guaranteed success. The cost and time of replacing a 50% 9* weapon is -_-

Almalexia
Jan 22, 2007, 01:10 PM
I can't find any 8 stars for sale. Only 9 and I could never afford them.

Nayte
Jan 22, 2007, 01:27 PM
On 2007-01-22 09:51, Reiichi wrote:
I would never ever grind a 50% 9* weapon, and especially an ice one unless it was a 100% guaranteed success. The cost and time of replacing a 50% 9* weapon is -_-

I wouldnt either if it wasn't for the fact that meseta is pretty much worthless to most people. At least if you're successful with a grinded 50% 9* weapon, you could trade it for rare units, S ranks etc.

Garnet_Moon
Jan 22, 2007, 02:02 PM
Just checked 9 Bone Dance. Here is what I got:

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9266/bone19jc.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5672/bone22nq.jpg

I dropped all of my buff and debuff techs as well as my gimpy Ra-line to make room for my Melee PA's again. It feels good to have a pure strike PM. :3

My fT won't miss those spells anyway. Time to have fun with mah new compliment of higher-than-before weapon %'s. <3

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 22, 2007, 02:51 PM
I never created any 7 or 8* weapons, I waited, knowing the 9* were coming out, and for some of my weapons, that was the best I could get. My first as a fighgunner were the dual handguns, crossbow, and mechgun, because they have no element attached and as long as it was successful, I had the best weapon available to me. Now I have two of each 9* and I love them to death. Next on my list to make are the weapons I can't get over a 9* in, first being the spear, then the claws, then fist. I'll probably do an 8* sword because the poison effect is more beneficial to me personally than the ATP bonus and such. Finally I'll work on the weapons I can get S rank in, as last priority, because I have a number of good ones, such as my 6* Seva Falsen grinded to 10. Stronger than the 9* anyways and the ATA is very close.

THE JACKEL

Remedy
Jan 22, 2007, 02:59 PM
On 2007-01-21 20:59, Garnet_Moon wrote:
Howrods are good for my business.How much are you selling yours for? Mine aren't moving at 500k.

Garnet_Moon
Jan 22, 2007, 03:03 PM
On 2007-01-22 11:59, Remedy wrote:

Howrods are good for my business.How much are you selling yours for? Mine aren't moving at 500k.

500k.

I put 20 in there four days ago and the final one sold last night.

Remedy
Jan 22, 2007, 03:06 PM
I've had three up for 500k and they haven't been TOUCHED in a week.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif

Dj_SkyEpic
Jan 22, 2007, 03:07 PM
On 2007-01-22 11:59, Remedy wrote:

They wont be moving at all for me since I'm stock-piling XD. Once those A-Grnders are out... I'm going to have enough to make alot of Howrod +10's~

I used to sell a few for 2-4mill, but after noticing that I get horrible success ratios, I decided to just quit. Basically, I made enough to only get 10% more from what I sold, so buisness wasnt really up to par.

I even stopped production on all other weapon types just to get ready for A grinders.

... and yea, most classes cant use some things higher than the A rank weapons, so 9*'s are for keeps if you get the best potentials out of them. gl with your buisnesses~