PDA

View Full Version : ISP chaos

Anonymous
Feb 25, 2001, 07:44 PM
I live in the UK, and the thing about living in the UK is that local call charges (such as those made to PSO servers) actually cost money, a fact of life which you lucky, lucky Yanks won't ever have to encounter http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

The other thing about living in the UK is that it's impossible to customize the ISP which your Dreamcast dials upon internet connection, at least not by using the UK internet connection disc or any UK online game.

If such a thing were possible, however, it'd be great, because I (any many others) could redirect the DC to the ISP my computer uses. This would be far preferable because that particular ISP is based on a monthly cost-- I pay ?15 a month for unlimited net access, which would be very nice indeed if I could use it in PSO.

However, it's theoretically possible to do just that. You can see the full shebang by reading the messages on this forum:

http://forums.gameplay.com/showthread.php?threadid=223419

By using a boot disc us PAL players can use a US internet disc to readjust our ISP to a more favourable one, ie the one detailed above. Apparently once this is set and ready, PSO then automatically uses the specified ISP to dial into it, resulting in much happiness for all involved, especially me.

But I'm still dubious. Would anyone know exactly how simple it is to readjust the ISP setting? Is it simply a matter of typing it in? Would this plan even work at all?

Replies would be welcome. Thanks.

-Popcorn

Sisqua
Mar 2, 2001, 02:09 PM
I would also be very interested to hear about this.

I'm also having trouble finding a way to backup my Ramar - the poxy standard email you get with the UK version refuses to allow you to attach the PSO files to your email. It says it can only accept image files. I've tried finding another freemail site (e.g. Freeserve) but it didn't have attachment support.

For some totally bizarre reason Sega have chosen to ban UK users from being able to access most freemail sites like Hotmail through the Dreamkey browser.

Count yourself lucky though - what's even worse for me is that I have an NTL (cable) phone line. They've just brought in this new package called 3-2-1 which is 3p per minute during the day on weekdays, 2p per minute weekday evenings and 1p per minute weekends.

Since a lot of my internet/PSO time is on weekday evenings, I now have to pay 2p per minute instead of 1p per minute which it was previously. Essentially they've doubled my $?%"! phone bill....

S.

Belldandy
Mar 2, 2001, 11:47 PM
Legally, you could try to get someone to mail you US version browser like PlanetWeb 2.0 from US/Canada. Then you might need to use Gameshark to load it up.

Another way is that if you search the web, you can no doubt find a place to download the browser...

Anonymous
Mar 3, 2001, 04:27 AM
If you get any more info on this pls post ASAP! I have been killed by my phone bill before! now I have bt surf time set up on my pc (probably the same as you) so that doesnt happen anymore but I have a feeling that PSO is now going to steal all of my money again!
Any info on this would be GREATLY appreciated!