PDA

View Full Version : Idea for an Event

TheFonz
Jan 24, 2007, 01:05 AM
After reading the Snow Clan event topic, I suddenly got a similar idea.

Ok, so one person has a shop and inside there are 10 items all wrapped for sale (on sale for max meseta). Just as what White_Lion had done, one of them will have a super uber rare that will cream anyone's pants (Even Mr Sega). The story, however, doesn't end there...

The shop will be password protected and there's only one way to obtain the said password: By finding two certain players. Upon finding one of the players, s/he will then either mail or tell you two digits of the password. You'll have to find the other player for the other two digits. These players can either be absolutely anywhere or can be limited to a planet or two.

Upon obtaining the 4 digits, figure out what order they go and voila, you can get into the shop! Now out of the 10 items you must pick 3 of them and the event organising shopkeeper will then lower the price of those 3 down to 100k (or insert random price here) each. After purchasing them, open up and see if you won the grand prize!

To stop people from simply going through every password code and breaking into the shop, the two people giving away the password digits will mail the main shopkeeper to let them know who has got the digits. With this information the Shopkeeper will know who is allowed to take their pick and who isn't. So basically it's pretty much a scavenger hunt. Anyone crazy enough to organise this kind of event?

NPCMook
Jan 24, 2007, 01:17 AM
Gotta make sure they all have the same star rating, because then the Grand Prize could be gotten by the first person...

Curse you sega for not hiding the star info!

Ryogen
Jan 24, 2007, 01:19 AM
Nah. I don't think events should compromise of people giving money just to patercipate in winning. Sounds more like just a method of obtaining money. Then when a person finds out what they got, it might not be what they wanted or expected.

This kind of things can be easily used to scam money out of players. If you REALLY want to make it fun. Put items under 500 meseta.

EDIT

Also don't forget the stars.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryogen on 2007-01-23 22:20 ]</font>

MomoHana
Jan 24, 2007, 02:26 AM
Hmm...I was thinking of event similar to this.. I've been wanting to work on idea like you said http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif So maybe I'l use it if you don't mind?

Sinaku
Jan 24, 2007, 07:48 AM
I'd definitly take part in it, just when more rare items are released, seeing as how theres not too many "STUNNING" rare weapons/armors out there, (besides that kick ass double-crea saber)...but real good idea, be sure 2 bring it back up when Sega adds enouf Items

TheFonz
Jan 24, 2007, 12:01 PM
On 2007-01-23 22:17, NPCMook wrote:
Gotta make sure they all have the same star rating, because then the Grand Prize could be gotten by the first person...

Curse you sega for not hiding the star info!

Thanks for the heads up!

On 2007-01-23 22:19, Ryogen wrote:
Nah. I don't think events should compromise of people giving money just to patercipate in winning. Sounds more like just a method of obtaining money. Then when a person finds out what they got, it might not be what they wanted or expected.

This kind of things can be easily used to scam money out of players. If you REALLY want to make it fun. Put items under 500 meseta.

EDIT

Also don't forget the stars.

To be honest, the whole point of people spending meseta on this event was as a donation towards the 3 unfortunate people working on the event. The two peeps giving away the passcode will have to hide and practically do nothing and I don't think there will be a lot of people who will jump at the chance to assume those roles unless they were getting something out of it.

As for if this could easily be a scam, if the event was organised on PSOW by a well known user, I'm sure they won't even think about tarnishing their reputation by scamming. In any case, there's pretty much no point to undergo such a huge task just to gain 1 million meseta, you could do that by selling photons in less than 20 minutes.

To soften the blow when a group picks the wrong present, I'm sure you could put something that's nearly to the value of 100k so at least they don't go away empty handed.

On 2007-01-23 23:26, MomoHana wrote:
Hmm...I was thinking of event similar to this.. I've been wanting to work on idea like you said http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif So maybe I'l use it if you don't mind?

Definitely! As I say, this is just an idea and personally I don't have the wealth or the organising power to create something like this. I'd love to work on it though by giving out more ideas and such (and obviously participating).

I was thinking of ways to alter the event slightly, such as making it a group hunt where everyone is set in a party of 3. Also, the two players giving out the code could instead give out a riddle or something similar so the group will basically have a clue to figure out the two digits.

On 2007-01-24 04:48, Sinaku wrote:
I'd definitly take part in it, just when more rare items are released, seeing as how theres not too many "STUNNING" rare weapons/armors out there, (besides that kick ass double-crea saber)...but real good idea, be sure 2 bring it back up when Sega adds enouf Items

Well someone such as MomoHana could probably do this event very soon, drawback being there won't be that many stunning rares but by going through this event, we'll find out the pros and cons and get a little experience on how to run it better. So when Sega finally releases the mighty rares, it'll run much smoother the 2nd time and hopefully there will be far more players participating.

Reiichi
Jan 24, 2007, 12:37 PM
Since you might have some people pass info to one another about where players are hiding, I'd say pick more remote locations like outside of labs, or the hot springs (well maybe not that far), but definately one or two that require people to run through a story mission to the halfway point.

People could team up to get to a far outpost, but the final stretch will be a solo run through a story mission. A player at the story mission outpost would then take names of who came first, second, third or whatever, and then mail the 1st place winner a room name and password. After the 1st place person has collected their prize, the 1st place winner would be kicked out of the room, password changed (to prevent reentry) and then mailed to the 2nd place winner, etc.

If you are going to charge 100k per gift then you should have stuff in them that is worth about as much if not more regardless. First place can get 3 picks, second 2 picks, and then 1 pick to whoever is left until the prizes are gone. Another problem with the 100k per gift is, if it's a low rarity ultimate prize like a ME/Quick that is only 4*, what would you stick in the losing presents that would be worth about that much yet still show 4* rarity?

As for getting something out of it, recognition, fun, who knows. You might even be able to get donations for the smaller prizes.

Ryogen
Jan 24, 2007, 04:01 PM
Just becuase your well known, dosen't mean anything. Some won't mind at all ruining a little somthing on the forums for a little meseta. It's an idea, but it can be abused. That's all I'm saying. Spend 100k to win somthing? I think that's BS. That would just not lead people to jump in becuase many don't have that kind of money on hand. So it makes it more of a money grabber than anything else? One can also put in presents and don't put in ones that make them win. Thus keep the currency rolling in. This have been thought up before by Rizen and myself way back. We didn't feel that spending money to win somthing isn't all the right thing to do.

Your basiclly playing the lottery with players and the odds can change up or there can be no chance of winning at all. If one really cares to make a fun event, then go with a price of a mission's allowence such as 1k.

No offence but 100k has greed written all over it IMO.

TheFonz
Jan 24, 2007, 06:06 PM
On 2007-01-24 09:37, Reiichi wrote:
Since you might have some people pass info to one another about where players are hiding, I'd say pick more remote locations like outside of labs, or the hot springs (well maybe not that far), but definately one or two that require people to run through a story mission to the halfway point.

People could team up to get to a far outpost, but the final stretch will be a solo run through a story mission. A player at the story mission outpost would then take names of who came first, second, third or whatever, and then mail the 1st place winner a room name and password. After the 1st place person has collected their prize, the 1st place winner would be kicked out of the room, password changed (to prevent reentry) and then mailed to the 2nd place winner, etc.

If you are going to charge 100k per gift then you should have stuff in them that is worth about as much if not more regardless. First place can get 3 picks, second 2 picks, and then 1 pick to whoever is left until the prizes are gone. Another problem with the 100k per gift is, if it's a low rarity ultimate prize like a ME/Quick that is only 4*, what would you stick in the losing presents that would be worth about that much yet still show 4* rarity?

As for getting something out of it, recognition, fun, who knows. You might even be able to get donations for the smaller prizes.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant with the two people hiding, they can be absolutely anywhere and it will require participants to go through story missions to get to them.

The reason why I've split it up so you must find two people is so that groups participating will be more inclined to split up and search away from the other participants. If one group manages to find one of the guys and word spreads out, at least the other groups know they're still in for a chance since there's still another guy out there. But that's my personal take and your idea of having one guy and awarding 1st, 2nd, 3rd is most likely the more sensible idea and would work better. Anyways, thanks for the input!

On 2007-01-24 13:01, Ryogen wrote:
Just becuase your well known, dosen't mean anything. Some won't mind at all ruining a little somthing on the forums for a little meseta. It's an idea, but it can be abused. That's all I'm saying. Spend 100k to win somthing? I think that's BS. That would just not lead people to jump in becuase many don't have that kind of money on hand. So it makes it more of a money grabber than anything else? One can also put in presents and don't put in ones that make them win. Thus keep the currency rolling in. This have been thought up before by Rizen and myself way back. We didn't feel that spending money to win somthing isn't all the right thing to do.

Your basiclly playing the lottery with players and the odds can change up or there can be no chance of winning at all. If one really cares to make a fun event, then go with a price of a mission's allowence such as 1k.

No offence but 100k has greed written all over it IMO.

Just to make this clear to everyone, I have no intentions to organise this event and I've certainly no intentions to gain profit out of this prospect. Also, I'm talking about the PC/PS2 servers, by reading your history of posts I'm aware you're on the 360 version. Unfortunately, for the PC/PS2 servers, it's as if you're a bum on the streets if you only own 1 million meseta and to make matters worse, 100k is the average price of a Ray-Photon.

What I'm trying to say is, no one in their right mind will try to organise such an event and spend the day sitting in their room waiting for players to unlock the room code just to scam a mere 1 million meseta and gain a lot of angry participants in the process (as well as tarnishing their reputation on PSOW boards and PSU respectively). The whole reason that I've included money in this event (just like an event in real life, where you've got to pay to enter) is to give a little something to anyone who wants to work this event.

I wouldn't want to be the guy who waits in the hot springs on uni 8 for a couple of hours doing absolutely nothing, and the whole point of the meseta is to give that very guy some incentive to do the job. That being said if there is anyone out there that have no problems with doing this kind of job for free (maybe have two people at each spot so they're not lonely) then I see absolutely no reason to give any kind of charge to open the present.

As I said in my very first post: 100k (or insert price here). It was just a rough price and not really the basis of the idea.

White_Lion
Jan 24, 2007, 06:12 PM
i would have made it 4 people each one hide on a planet.

TheFonz
Jan 24, 2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah that could definitely work, and it'll make it pretty epic too

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheFonz on 2007-01-24 15:18 ]</font>

White_Lion
Jan 24, 2007, 06:31 PM
this event could be a lot of fun.