PDA

View Full Version : Why does Everyone hate PSU?

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Jan 25, 2007, 06:37 PM
I was just wondering because everyone seems to hate the game (I don't have an X Box 360 so I don't know). It looks like a pretty good game. What is so bad about it?

Banish
Jan 25, 2007, 06:43 PM
Its too easy to beat.

PSO is better in the story line.

Solstis
Jan 25, 2007, 06:50 PM
It's not awful, but too mediocre for me to spend time on it right now. Busy busy.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 25, 2007, 07:04 PM
People feel better when they have something they can complain about. Just seems to be the way humans work; so even when everything is great, there'll always be someone who can find something to be annoyed with.

When everyone is beautiful, it's the least beautiful among them that get branded as "ugly", no?

DizzyDi
Jan 25, 2007, 07:09 PM
I think people were expecting PSU to reproduce the feeling and atmosphere that was present in PSO but with better graphics and whatnot.
But PSU just doesn't deliver that same "something" that PSO gave me, but its still a good game.

OnnaWren
Jan 25, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'll just wait for the next one, thanks. *cries*

Who are you, SEGA, and what have you done with my beloved Phantasy Star?

There's not even a real way to connect it to all the others; continutiy is all shot to hell, and my favorite race has been reduced to an arrogant clique of CAST-holes. Meh.

Laranas
Jan 25, 2007, 07:49 PM
It has reproduced the "omfg purple ball of death heading this way" feeling, though.

BloodDragoon
Jan 25, 2007, 07:52 PM
PSU lacks the fun of beating a dragon to death with a frying pan... >.>

Rashiid
Jan 25, 2007, 07:52 PM
i see no flaws in this game.

i never had PSO, so i cant compare

Gamemako
Jan 25, 2007, 07:53 PM
On 2007-01-25 16:49, Laranas wrote:
It has reproduced the "omfg purple ball of death heading this way" feeling, though.

I hate megid.

God I hate megid.

Weakness
Jan 25, 2007, 07:53 PM
I think I figured it out...

Ever since the game came out, something has always bugged me, but now I know what it is. IT IS THE COLORS!

As crazy as it sounds, hear me out. In Pso all the stages were deep, dark, and actually kind of scary. There was something to it that made your heart beat a little faster. Between the music, hundred of angry monsters coming at you, and the dark and somewhat evil color scheme, your heart started to race a little bit.

In PSU everything is all bright, the music isn't quite as dramatic, and everything is all hunky-dory... even the monsters in this game are too happy. Go stare at a Polty, how is that as scary as a Booma? IT WAS A FREAKING BEAR TRYING TO RIP YOUR FACE OFF!

In short, the game's color scheme is too bright, the music doesn't strike fear into you, and you don't have giant mutant bears chasing you making your adrenaline start pumping.

...And no I have not being doing any illicit drugs... maybe an Ambien or two and a couple of drinks, but that doesn't make you think about the colors... does it?

Ether
Jan 25, 2007, 07:59 PM
PSU has poor level progression. You don't do caves 1, then caves 2, then caves 3, then fight a boss, then head to mines. In PSU you travel through 3 or 4 short blocks that look exactly the same, kill a miniboss in 10 seconds with nanoblast/suv, then repeat the same mission again

Jae
Jan 25, 2007, 07:59 PM
PSU is basically an updated PSO. On one hand, it's great because it didn't take PSO veterans long to feel familiar with the game. On the other hand, it's horrible because many better games with more variable content have been released since PSO. That leaves PSU's presentation feeling like "too little, too late".

I still enjoy the game though. But it hasn't sucked me in nearly as much as I thought (hoped) it would.

Also, Sega of America are morons. Why did they get rid of the PC-version serial numbers that helped Sega of Japan effectively ban hackers from the game? WHY SEGA WHY?

pineapple
Jan 25, 2007, 08:00 PM
Ambien does mess you up, but in different ways. Like eating in your sleep and losing large gaps of time.

PSU is lacking some of the badassery that PSO had. Ragol had a lot of character, but the new levels are kind of meh. The level progression is also kind of weird. PSU v2: Forest to Falz would make everyone happy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Weakness
Jan 25, 2007, 08:02 PM
On 2007-01-25 16:59, Ether wrote:
PSU has poor level progression. You don't do caves 1, then caves 2, then caves 3, then fight a boss, then head to mines. In PSU you travel through 3 or 4 short blocks that look exactly the same, kill a miniboss in 10 seconds with nanoblast/suv, then repeat the same mission again

That too. I hate not being able to just go do a Forest to Falz party. I also hate having to travel to get to the one mission I want to do. Why do I have to go through two other missions that I have beaten 50 times to do an Agata S run?

In PSO if I wanted to go to the Ruins, I could head straight there...

...and I stand by my colors statement.

Edit to add this:

On 2007-01-25 17:00, pineapple wrote:
Ambien does mess you up, but in different ways. Like eating in your sleep and losing large gaps of time.

[...]

Yeah, I apparently got two levels and a job level last night that I don't remember doing. Gotta love sleep aids.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Weakness on 2007-01-25 17:04 ]</font>

pineapple
Jan 25, 2007, 08:11 PM
Oh, I forgot though. Ambien will make you hallucinate if you mix it with uppers so that you don't fall asleep after taking it. Ambien is pretty messed up in some cases.

Anyway, that PSU. So I hear that everyone hates it?

Jae
Jan 25, 2007, 08:13 PM
I hate not being able to just go do a Forest to Falz party.

Yes!!! Or CCA to Seabed party for that matter. Screw the VR areas lol.

I wouldn't mind doing a Mad Creatures to Endrum Remnants party, but nobody would ever do that because of the way the game and rewards are structured.

Instead we're all spamming individual missions like Rainbow Beast, Agata/Parum Relics, Mizu CD and System Defense ad nauseum.

Weakness
Jan 25, 2007, 08:13 PM
On 2007-01-25 17:11, pineapple wrote:
Oh, I forgot though. Ambien will make you hallucinate if you mix it with uppers so that you don't fall asleep after taking it. Ambien is pretty messed up in some cases.

Anyway, that PSU. So I hear that everyone hates it?

D: No illegal drugs, just rum.

And I don't hate PSU http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Neith
Jan 25, 2007, 08:18 PM

It does, but not as much as Phantasmal World #4 did on PSO. Maybe when I try HIVE, it'll bring back those memories http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

'Lilies! Haha, dodged yo...damn Mericarol.' http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<3 PW#4, let HIVE be as cheap!

Laranas
Jan 25, 2007, 08:22 PM
It's also missing TTF.

Palefire
Jan 25, 2007, 08:38 PM
People haven't played Ragnarok Online, that's why. If you ever need some perspective, try playing that stinker for a while. (Yes, it's cute...unfortunately, that's all it has going for it)

BloodDragoon
Jan 25, 2007, 08:43 PM
On 2007-01-25 17:38, Palefire wrote:
People haven't played Ragnarok Online, that's why. If you ever need some perspective, try playing that stinker for a while. (Yes, it's cute...unfortunately, that's all it has going for it)

LV 97 Agi/Str spear knight... >.>

Don't ask how long that took but it made MVP's easy as hell to get when I got there. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

BTW Sega has absolute kick ass customer service compared to Gravity... >.>

DarkAeon
Jan 25, 2007, 08:47 PM
1. Tedious, for now.
2. The music and a little color scheme things will make the effect better. I fall asleep (literally) playing SW over and over cause of the music, but when i don't want to listen to my own I want the music to me immersive. PSU has everything but music, HIVE is pretty scary imo.

Garnet_Moon
Jan 25, 2007, 08:54 PM
I hate PSU because I cannot look like my GH-440. She looks so adorable in her green outfit. ;-;

Palefire
Jan 25, 2007, 09:04 PM
LV 97 Agi/Str spear knight... >.>

Don't ask how long that took but it made MVP's easy as hell to get when I got there. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

BTW Sega has absolute kick ass customer service compared to Gravity... >.>

Oh G_d. As bad as Sega can be, they've got nothing on the level of suck that was Gravity.

I had a hybrid AGI/DEX/INT/LUK Hunter (I wanted to be able to use the falcon effectively...made me slower than all the other Hunters, but my falcon kicked @$$) and an AGI Crusader. As cute as they were and as awesome as I thought they were, the point+click killing got real old very fast.

So while there are a number of things on PSU that could certainly be better, I can't complain. I have my bishie, (I've never been able to play one before...all other MMOs feature ugly males -- with the exception of Linneage II and possibly Guild Wars) I've got my fireballs, I've got my longbow, and it doesn't take an hour just to get to the field. All I need is a pet, (preferrably a bird of prey) and I'm good to go.

SolomonGrundy
Jan 25, 2007, 09:06 PM
Since this is more about pet peeves than PSU actually being hated...

1. PSO was easier to get a few levels under you, at any stage of the game. If things were too hard online, you could go offline

2. Mags>>PMs. Mags would let you customize and control your stats. You could also have more than 1, I really hate having a melee mag with my ForteFighter, but I'm unwilling to switch now that I have so much invested in the PM

3. non linear challenges: hard and very hard were incrementally harder than 'normal' in PSU, B rank is MUCH harder that C rank missions

4. Drops/Money: Valuable drops happened across all difficulty in in PSO, allowing you to save money, AND possibly pick up a good item or 2. Money is VERY scarce in PSU (xbox360)

5. Stability/Latency: PSU crashes at least once a night for me. Also creature attacks that VERY clearly miss still hit you due to lag, or a poor hit/miss AI

6. Meeting people: everyone met in a single lobby or sub lobby in PSO. In PSU, people hang all over - field offices, etc...no central place for folks to hang.

7. Items: many items are missing from PSU that really helped make PSO more enjoyable (add slot, HP mats, /battle units, shields, Armors that had more than a single resist...)

Sinue_v2
Jan 25, 2007, 09:07 PM
1. The Art direction sucks.

2. The Music is uninspired.

3. The storyline is just a cobble-together of previous plotlines thrown in for reference without touching on the meaning of the events.

4. The slowdown and loading (expeically on the PS2 version) are horribly damaging to the gameplay.

-----

Now, don't get me wrong.. PSU isn't a bad game, and it's certianly better than PSO in nearly every way. However PSU doesn't strike me as a particularly great game, or even all that engaging. Mediocre, at best, is how I'd rate it.

As of right now, the thing that's most bothering me is the level structure. I was really hoping that they would have more areas and more variation. As it is now, most of the areas look extremely similar (Mad Beasts to Plains Overlord, to The Mad Creatures, ect).. and there really is no sence of exploration or travel. Expecially since there are no destinations to reach aside from small mid-point lobbies.

I think PSU could have really benefited from having slightly less "maze-like" areas (if you can even call them mazes) which lead to more substancial goals - such as other cities or landmarks. Though I hate to compair it to FFXI, I think it would have benefited much more from having areas or "zones" similar to that game's areas - multiple cities per planet - and more seamless transitions to new areas.

Maridia
Jan 25, 2007, 09:08 PM
I completely agree with Weakness on the colors thing.

I will also note, that PSU online feels devoid of people. Yes, it may have a bajillion PEOPLE people running around like idiots, but where are my NPCs? Where are the people we're protecting? It's just US running around. In PSO if you did a mission/quest, you were HELPING SOMEONE. You had a point, and there was TALKING and you DID STUFF and at the end, they thanked you. There were people in town to talk to. To make it feel kinda like you weren't the only one alive.

PSU is so freaking empty. I hate that. I hate how I can go on a server that ISN'T 2 and not see anyone anywhere. At least NPCs make it seem like you aren't always alone. We're supposed to be defending these planets and their citizens. WHERE IS EVERYONE?!

And it's like we aren't working towards anything. In PSO, you were trying to find Rico. Or Flowen. You were looking for them. Trying to help them. Investigating. In PSU, it's just.. well, it really is just one giant grind fest. And yes, there's story mode online but god. It's all alone! You can't play with your friends. You can't team up with your best bud and go SAVE THE FREAKING WORLD. OH NO. You have to team up with annoying NPCs with terrible AI.

Even when we CAN go fight a final boss (WHENEVER THAT IS >_<), it's just gonna be too short. I loved doing a run from Forest to Falz. I loved that feeling of accomplishment. Never got sick of seeing Rico fly free.

I love PSU, but man.. It feels empty inside, to me.

Weakness
Jan 25, 2007, 09:13 PM
So the consensus seems to be poor level design... and the colors ;;>.>

But truthfully it does piss me off that I can't do a Forest to Falz run... 10 Bucks said if they added another planet, if it was Ragol, with the same set up as PSO... nobody would go anywhere else.

Ryno
Jan 25, 2007, 09:31 PM
i don't hate it.. thats there opinion

pineapple
Jan 25, 2007, 09:33 PM
I know I wouldn't. Every level in PSU is like caves1 with worse atmosphere.
Actually, even less interesting than caves one because there are no switches and buttons.

Mman2000
Jan 25, 2007, 09:39 PM
Ok I don't like the way the missions are done in PSU. Playing the same damn missions over and over isn't much fun. Sega really needs to get more out.

The people who complain about the music and play on the 360 need to STFU. Seriously people, if you hate the fucking music so much then just rip a CD to your 360's hard drive and play THAT. I know I'm not the only one who used an MP3 player to listen to what I liked in PSOGC, why can't people apply the same thing to the 360? It's even facilitated in the console for fuck's sake, so please stop complaining about something you can easily solve yourself.

Sinue_v2
Jan 25, 2007, 09:43 PM
FUCK RAGOL

You sure as hell wouldn't find me spamming Forest to Falz runs in PSU - I already have PSO for that!

PSU is failing because of it's own goddamned unique problems, NOT BECAUSE IT'S NOT PSO.

AzureBlaze
Jan 25, 2007, 09:51 PM
I don't hate it, but there are some things that would attract more people/punch it up like PSO:

-It's like they DELIBERATELY SCATTERED everyone. This is always a bad move. No, cramped spaces are not cool, but factoring in Colony, Moatoob, Neudaiz, Parum, Hive...AND that all of those have UNREACHABLE field-lobbies, meeting anyone is a harder challenge then a boss. No one wants to run through some dumb area just to SEE if anyone's in the next.

Fix It!
It could be -helped- by rigging the android NPC woman to give you access to ALL field lobbies that you've been to *on that playing session*. There's THREE bases on parum, if you go thru endrum, you should be able to jump to any of them, as many times as you want on that playing session.
Also:
This would yeild a more forest-falz like expierience people crave

-No "goals"
Nearly everything in PSO had some kind of payoff at the end that wasn't "click the snowflake!". You talked to your client...and most importantly *you fought a boss or a hoard of guys*. The big exp payoffs at the end of missions/levels made it exciting. Why do you think everyone's so addicted to boring-played-out-de-ragan? It's the only mission that's not 500 hours long OR that you have to "jump to a lobby" to get to.
Onmagoug?
Hog-throwin'-Moatoob guy?
Their missions take forever to get to the boss, and the mission you have to play BEFORE you can even access that mission is loooong. (at least mad beasts is fairly short n' dull) It's the same reason people grind Bruce, he actually pays off!

Fix it!
Obviously release more things that end in a fun boss like the deragan, not like Moatoob where the guy flies 98% of the time and annoys you. OR put stuff like "endless nightmare" which had no boss, but flooded you with monsters as a payoff.

Boring Colors/Lighting
PSU suffers from DBZ lighting. All light is always the same. There's no mist, no atmosphere, no darkness of night, no eerie shading or glowing crystals and lava of the caves. (moatoob has a few in valley of carnage) No purple glow of the ruins.

It's the same with dudes/clothes/armors, to a degree as you can pretty much only vary by height as there's no 'extreme builds' and the clothing seems rather ordinary, compared to PSO. These guys could show up in a mall and most people wouldn't look twice if they weren't glowing. Cast tends to not look as alien, with so many elenor clone faces and rather ordinary RAcast or "dude in a suit" armor. Caseal got 'x-treeme' with that new set that had the "toilet lid" on the back but...I don't think it's what anyone had in mind.

It is the same with weapons.
We simply don't have 'uniques' yet. PSO was loaded with 'em, and it was a riot to hunt them down. Being able to wear the Kasami Bracer, sport the Hunter Shell or equip the Elysion made you look COOL. Everyone's aresenal pretty much looks the same here. You can't have a 'signature wep'.

Fix it!
Obviously release more clothes/armors with a different flare, add in some unique rares...and there's nothing to be done for the lighting and areas, as it's too late now.

All these things combine to give PSU a feeling that "something's missing", but fortunatly a majority seem fixable or that they'll be remedied in the future.

VanHalen
Jan 25, 2007, 09:54 PM
there is nothing wrong with this game. actually i like it alot better than PSO but the stupid thing is those who complain are the 1st to get online and keep playing or 50hrs

BloodDragoon
Jan 25, 2007, 09:57 PM
I think the biggest thing that spawns these PSU compliants are just people upset Sega nerfed the whole character twinking experience of PSO. Yet they know if they complain about it people would ridicule them. So they pick other things to complain about... >.> Atleast on a majoritiy of this "PSO was better than PSU" nonsense.

Soukosa
Jan 25, 2007, 10:03 PM
People hate it because their still stuck on PSO's structure of things. Which in turn leads to people whining about their WTs not being able to replace their broken HUnewearls or the lack of broken gears that PSO had an over abundance of (i.e. the strong buffs, debuffs, strong elemental resistatances, battle units, weapons that could wipe out an entire room, etc).

Give it time. The game started out a bit crappy and is much nicer now. There's already some new missions on the JP servers that are alot more like the cooler ones from PSO (and don't tell me people didn't spam the same quests over and over again there). Most people that came to PSU from PSO seem to forget that PSO was around for several years before PSU came about which has only been around for 5 months (or 3 months for EN servers). PSO wasn't as awesome as it was in the end when it first came out.

Some of the things will get issued with time (like going to bases more easily), others will never happen (like WTs get lv 30 skills or techs, so shut up about it already).

LJ
I've been playing PSU since around late Nov/early Dec. My first impression was wow not bad, not quite the old PSO I knew from dreamcast to gamecube to xbox days but it was still somewhat similar. But lately I keep on thinking, should I renew? or should I cancel? I agree with Maridia and Weakness. It just inst the same anymore....PSU seems like a ghost world even with 3 planets compared to just Ragol on PSO. And it does seem more happy. Like killing the monsters is a hobby instead of a necessity for saving the world....It was something about PSO that just kept me on it....Lving to 20 to get to hard, 40 for very hard, and 80 for Ultimate were just fun goals...Its not the same in PSU where it feels like the only thing im lvling for is to do another semiinteresting/semidull mission...I'm not even going to get on the countless hours I spent with random friends and cousins in split screen mode. I dont get the same rush when i see a lil red material, compared to those capital ?SPECIAL....ya kno? I've never personally been big on games where you created your weapons through means of synthesis even though Im an avid rpg fan. I want to be able to just find the weapons, identify them, and be personally satisfied. I like how they balanced it with the classes and the races. I like alot of the additions. I like the idea of your partner machine becoming an instant access ally. But I still feel like I've somehow not tapped into the very game that I first became addicted to. It just doesnt feel the same anymore.

VanHalen
oh and one more thing if you guys really hate PSU that much why are you making sigs with your characters pictures and stuff?

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 25, 2007, 10:09 PM
Fuck the forest that was too cramped to feel outdoorsey. Fuck the caves that were somehow less cramped than a forest, yet had many more copied and pasted rooms. (At least the watery area looked nice.) Fuck the mines in all their copied and pasted glory. And fu---...no, the ruins were cool. And fuck the jungle with its retarded plant monsters, and fu---...well the seabed was cool too. FUCK RAGOL. Also, fuck PSO's stupid auto-targeting system that I was forced to use, fuck PSO's lack of camera control (just a center button was NOT enough), and fuck PSO's race and class binding of clothes. FUCK PSO.
Also: Forest 1, Forest 2, Dragon = Mad Beasts, Plains Overlord, Dragon. But we have the option to just cut our time in half by skipping Mad Beasts (Forest 1) and going straight to Plains Overlord (Forest 2).

And while I say that PSU is better than PSO in almost every way, and certainly more fun to play than some stats-oriented no-skill-needed MMORPG, it's pretty bad in the face of a good offline action RPG. Or Monster Hunter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2007-01-25 19:09 ]</font>

Weakness
Jan 25, 2007, 10:11 PM
On 2007-01-25 19:03, VanHalen wrote:
oh and one more thing if you guys really hate PSU that much why are you making sigs with your characters pictures and stuff?

;;>.> To be fair I already said I don't hate PSU. There are just many, many, many, many things wrong with it. I keep playing out of hope that it might get better with time... that and I bought the six month thing and still have a while.

VanHalen
Jan 25, 2007, 10:28 PM
On 2007-01-25 19:11, Weakness wrote:

On 2007-01-25 19:03, VanHalen wrote:

;;>.> To be fair I already said I don't hate PSU. There are just many, many, many, many things wrong with it. I keep playing out of hope that it might get better with time... that and I bought the six month thing and still have a while.

i have yet to see that many things wrong with this game. yes it has its faults but since when was anything perfect even PSO has its faults that may be a shock to some(im not saying you just some people) but its true.

Sinue_v2
Jan 25, 2007, 10:29 PM
Fuck Monster Hunter too.

Man that game sucked harder than FFXI.

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 25, 2007, 10:36 PM
On 2007-01-25 19:29, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Fuck Monster Hunter too.

Okay, now I'm curious. What were your huge beefs with MH?

Ether
Jan 25, 2007, 10:41 PM
On 2007-01-25 19:09, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
Also: Forest 1, Forest 2, Dragon = Mad Beasts, Plains Overlord, Dragon. But we have the option to just cut our time in half by skipping Mad Beasts (Forest 1) and going straight to Plains Overlord (Forest 2).

But... PSU doesn't let you skip Mad Beasts. It lets you repeat Plains Overloard after you've already slogged through Mad Beasts once, through exploiting the abandon mission feature.

Miyoko
Jan 25, 2007, 10:43 PM
I feel like the only person who likes the mission setup in this. >_> Sure the nice thing with PSO was how there was always a boss waiting at the end, but it was too linear... I like that the missions fork, and that I have to do different ones to get to different places.

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 25, 2007, 10:45 PM
On 2007-01-25 19:41, Ether wrote:

On 2007-01-25 19:09, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

But... PSU doesn't let you skip Mad Beasts. It lets you repeat Plains Overloard after you've already slogged through Mad Beasts once, through exploiting the abandon mission feature.

Ah yes, thanks for correcting me on that. But still, you have the option to repeat that one mission rather than be forced to trudge through Forest 1 again. (And you can skip Mad Creatures if you wind up getting invited to a group that's aleady past it.) Just imagine if somebody wanted to to numerous De Rol Le runs for some reason, or Falz runs. That's a lot of retrudging through Caves/Ruins 1 and 2 just to get back to the boss.

VanHalen
Jan 25, 2007, 10:45 PM
On 2007-01-25 19:43, Miyoko wrote:
I feel like the only person who likes the mission setup in this. >_> Sure the nice thing with PSO was how there was always a boss waiting at the end, but it was too linear... I like that the missions fork, and that I have to do different ones to get to different places.

i like it too it feels like an adventure. like how when you have nothing to do at home and then you go to random links on websites and then you find a website you really like. like how i found pso-world.

Pinecone
Jan 25, 2007, 10:47 PM
just outta curiosity, does anyone else like the online story mode or is it just me?

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 25, 2007, 10:48 PM
On 2007-01-25 19:43, Miyoko wrote:

Oh yeah, that forking rules. It's like some of the missions, like Sleeping Warriors and Grove of Fanatics, are like sidequests that you can do before going back to the main path.

Weakness
Jan 25, 2007, 10:48 PM
On 2007-01-25 19:29, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Fuck Monster Hunter too.

Do you like anything? How about kittens, can't hate those cute little things can you?

And what was wrong with FFXI? I played and was highly addicted to that game for 3 years. I miss a lot of things from that game, and at times I am even tempted to go back. Yes that game had horrible issues with monopolization, waiting for a party sucked, and many other issues. But there was an undeniable sense of community. You could run past someone, and know you would see them again the next day, there were infamous people on every server (Minidragon from Bismarck? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I mean he did have a Maat's Cap).

Despite its faults, it was perfect.

VanHalen
Jan 25, 2007, 10:50 PM
On 2007-01-25 19:47, Pinecone wrote:
just outta curiosity, does anyone else like the online story mode or is it just me?

i liked both offline and online

Retehi
Jan 25, 2007, 10:55 PM
I just wish my Yasminkovs would make a return.

A2K
Jan 25, 2007, 11:12 PM
On 2007-01-25 15:37, Dr_Montague wrote:
I was just wondering because everyone seems to hate the game (I don't have an X Box 360 so I don't know). It looks like a pretty good game. What is so bad about it?

You're asking the wrong people. We'll tell you what we don't hate about the game, but for the most part we're all still actually playing it.

You only need to read a couple reviews to figure out what everyone else hates about it, or just ask around: assorted reasons like "it isn't deep enough" or "it's too much like PSO" or "it's not enough like PSO", etc.

That said, though, we're probably the ones you should be listening to, considering we've stuck with it and experienced all it has to offer, as opposed to sitting down with it for anywhere between a couple of minutes to a few days just to slap together a thousand word review.

Shaia
Jan 25, 2007, 11:39 PM
After spending 130+ hours on PSU so far, my feelings are as follows:

1. As everyone has said, music is uninspired and terrible compared to PSO.

2. As everyone has said, no unique weapons, no rare weapon drops, and suprisingly dull weapon designs compared to PSO.

This I think is the single biggest factor contributing to the feeling of "something is missing" in PSU.

With no rare weapon drops, the entire point of doing missions boils down to EXP and mission points you get as reward. Which makes every mission a boring grind fest.

SEGA really needs to rethink about this and make rare weapons drop from enemies or boss in higher rank mission. That would give mission-grinding a pleasant incentive and make it more addictive, a-la-PSO style.

Zorafim
Jan 25, 2007, 11:40 PM
On 2007-01-25 18:08, Maridia wrote:
PSU is so freaking empty. I hate that. I hate how I can go on a server that ISN'T 2 and not see anyone anywhere. At least NPCs make it seem like you aren't always alone. We're supposed to be defending these planets and their citizens. WHERE IS EVERYONE?!

We're at least defending Karen. Because Karen is on this world, and when we protect this world, we're protecting Karen.
*Karen runs into my arms with a trail of tears behind her*

And I agree with your post, quests were damn fun offline. Instead of grinding for levels, I just grinded quests. Once I finished a set of quests, I knew I could handle the area the quests were in, so I went through it. I never got tired of the duologue, despite how poorly translated they were. A fourth of your clients died at the end, and many of the missions were failures. Now there aren't any quests, so there's nothing to do besides grind.

By the way, I got to thinking, "What would happen if you couldn't cancel out of missions?" As in, you finish Da Ragaon off and you had no choice but go to the next area. I think this would make the game less of a grind, and restore that forest>ruins feeling.

And lastly, I miss "Why I can still see the light?" Not the song, the concept. Just from the name, you could hear near hopelessness, but still sense a desire for happiness. What have we got here, "We have to save this world"? What does that tell me?

-Ryuki-
Jan 25, 2007, 11:41 PM
I hate PSU? o_O?

VanHalen
Jan 25, 2007, 11:42 PM
On 2007-01-25 20:39, Shaia wrote:
After spending 130+ hours on PSU so far, my feelings are as follows:

1. As everyone has said, music is uninspired and terrible compared to PSO.

2. As everyone has said, no unique weapons, no rare weapon drops, and suprisingly dull weapon designs compared to PSO.

This I think is the single biggest factor contributing to the feeling of "something is missing" in PSU.

With no rare weapon drops, the entire point of doing missions boils down to EXP and mission points you get as reward. Which makes every mission a boring grind fest.

SEGA really needs to rethink about this and make rare weapons drop from enemies or boss in higher rank mission. That would give mission-grinding a pleasant incentive and make it more addictive, a-la-PSO style.

and with all this hate you have for PSU you will now go back and play for 130+ more hours.

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 25, 2007, 11:44 PM
On 2007-01-25 20:12, A2K wrote:

On 2007-01-25 15:37, Dr_Montague wrote:

You're asking the wrong people. We'll tell you what we don't hate about the game, but for the most part we're all still actually playing it.

You only need to read a couple reviews to figure out what everyone else hates about it, or just ask around: assorted reasons like "it isn't deep enough" or "it's too much like PSO" or "it's not enough like PSO", etc.

That said, though, we're probably the ones you should be listening to, considering we've stuck with it and experienced all it has to offer, as opposed to sitting down with it for anywhere between a couple of minutes to a few days just to slap together a thousand word review.

Oh, right, the actual topic. Well, I have a good number of beefs with PSU, as much as I like it over PSO.

First off, the biggest problem is the dodgy hit detection. Sure, server lag causes a bit of this, and in bad lag it can be really bad. But even offline where lag doesn't exist the hitboxes are too large. It's most noticable when you shoot at erial targets or when you KNOW you've dodged something but got hit anyway.

Next is probably dependent on the system that you play on. As a PS2 player I occasionally get what I call weaponlock. I cannot use any weapon (or tech) for a few seconds. It gets really annoying, and even happens offline on occasion.

Next is a whole slew of graphical problems that just scream out LAZINESS. Parts of the ground twitch when viewed from certain angles. Certain CAST body parts (such as the assplate on a really clunky-looking leg part that happens to be my favorite) seem to hover, with no attachment to the character. Gun-toting characters never point their weapons upward or downward even when they aim upward or downward. (I need to get a PC user to post a screenshot of me firing a laser cannon upward.) That's not even the whole list.

I think I've said enough about the bad. There's still plenty of good qualities, like being sci-fi instead of the usual fantasy. (They did overkill the neon stuff though.) Being able to choose between bows, spells, various melee weapons and guns (almost) is always a plus. The game is more action-oriented though stats and levels still have quite the importance. A diverse race/class selection that doesn't bind class to specific races or race to certain classes. (But there will be blatant statistical inferiorities for some combos, like numan hunters.) Also, you aren't forced to be some ugly motherfucker (or a few dozen kinds of ugly, for that matter) like in most online games.

Shaia
Jan 25, 2007, 11:46 PM
On 2007-01-25 20:42, VanHalen wrote:

and with all this hate you have for PSU you will now go back and play for 130+ more hours.

Yes, of course^^. I don't hate PSU, I am just pointing out what I think are some of its faults.

Alisha
Jan 25, 2007, 11:54 PM
something i've observed from friends that play online is that the game seems harder to play for long periods of time like pso was. at the height of my pso obsession i was playing between 8-12 hours a day. seems it would be harder to do that on psu. perhaps by design on the part of the developers? item synthing seems to really hammer this home. i've heard of synths that take 24 hours? wtf. rare boards like crea doubles are a joke too. of course i've heard that A boards are BS too.

Edit:i also abhor the lack of class identity. a fortefighter and a fortetecher could look exactly the same. they could of at least included type specific clothing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2007-01-25 21:01 ]</font>

nefarious
Jan 26, 2007, 12:01 AM
Agreed.

Level progression = phail.

MomoHana
Jan 26, 2007, 12:11 AM
The MAX a synth item will take is assumingly 24 Hours :3

Ether
Jan 26, 2007, 12:14 AM
On 2007-01-25 21:11, MomoHana wrote:

9 star weapons take 12 hours. Crea Doubles, a 10 star weapon take 24 hours. I've heard a Psycho Wand, 12 star weapon, takes 72 hours, which does make sense with the progression shown thus far

Deprimenthia
Jan 26, 2007, 12:16 AM
These topics make me sad because they make me go play PSO for 30 hours, effectively ditching my PSU character and friends. ;_;

Anyways. PSU is fun, addicting, and the lobby system, to me, is much better.

However, like many have said, its style and color palette is not as near as intriguing as PSO's.

God I hate you people ;_; *waves goodbye to PSU friends*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Deprimenthia on 2007-01-25 21:17 ]</font>

VanHalen
Jan 26, 2007, 12:17 AM
i dont mind really but 3 days for one monomate? lol

nefarious
Jan 26, 2007, 12:20 AM
On 2007-01-25 21:14, Ether wrote:

On 2007-01-25 21:11, MomoHana wrote:

9 star weapons take 12 hours. Crea Doubles, a 10 star weapon take 24 hours. I've heard a Psycho Wand, 12 star weapon, takes 72 hours, which does make sense with the progression shown thus far

I see Sega has been taking tips from SquEnix, on how to make everything take FOREVER and suck the fun out of it but give you a glimmer of fun every once in a while to make you keep playing and wanting to progress... and making the next thing you can unlock JUST cool enough to make people want to play long enough to get it.

You know

Instead of being...

What's that word?

The word Sega forgot?

Fun.

Yea, that word.

Pardon the mini-rant...

But this game was a blast, until everything suddenly required grinding, instead of just going out and killing stuff... and having a good time. And I'm forced at this point to retract my previous statments about PSU not being tedious. It's become as tedious imho as FFXI, if not worse. At least FFXI doesn't force you to keep fighting in the same area from level 15-50...

Not to mention I still have connection issues on 360.

BloodDragoon
Jan 26, 2007, 12:50 AM
But you can't spell fun without F U... >.>

nefarious
Jan 26, 2007, 12:53 AM
You can't spell

Please Stop Sucking

Without PSU.

;_;

ShinMaruku
Jan 26, 2007, 01:07 AM
Hate PSU? many do that. You hate the things you love <_<
Now flaws, that's easy stuff was halfassed.
No level variation like PSO and then some poorly managed balancing system.
Story I woundlt say it's bad but nobody has the balls to hire a real writer.
Music? I think most game music sucks ass anyway ,custom soundtracks for the win.
Kill ST and it'd be better.

Zorafim
Jan 26, 2007, 01:11 AM
Why not just hire the guys who did Skies of Arcadia? They seem compatant.

juno-6
Jan 26, 2007, 01:16 AM
i love it.

Miyoko
Jan 26, 2007, 01:32 AM
On 2007-01-25 20:44, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
First off, the biggest problem is the dodgy hit detection. Sure, server lag causes a bit of this, and in bad lag it can be really bad. But even offline where lag doesn't exist the hitboxes are too large. It's most noticable when you shoot at erial targets or when you KNOW you've dodged something but got hit anyway.

Next is a whole slew of graphical problems that just scream out LAZINESS. Parts of the ground twitch when viewed from certain angles. Certain CAST body parts (such as the assplate on a really clunky-looking leg part that happens to be my favorite) seem to hover, with no attachment to the character. Gun-toting characters never point their weapons upward or downward even when they aim upward or downward. (I need to get a PC user to post a screenshot of me firing a laser cannon upward.) That's not even the whole list.
Unfourtonately, the targeting stuff is as good as it'll get in any online MMO untill extremely high speed internet becomes easily accessable to normal households. But, it's better than everything hit-or-miss being determined by rolls, imo...

As for the graphical stuff... Some of it sounds like issues on your machine, not so much the game. I've never noticed any twitching grounds.

As for floating body parts, I think that's just the style. There's lots of floaty things like that; even your PMs. Heck, think about it, if humans today on earth had technology to make clothing pieces float like that, or any type of decoration, without showing particals of some sort, they'd do it, just because they can.

Criss
Jan 26, 2007, 01:40 AM
Personally, I LOVE PSU. Much more than PSO. Its weapon/photon-arts/race/job system is MUCH better, and the mission forks make the whole thing much less linear and repetitive (assuming you're the type of person to just go off with friends do mission together, instead of repeatedly doing whatever makes you level or get stronger the fastest). I do admit diversity is lacking in certain things like weapon design, but again, the game is still quite new, and there's still so many things left for them to add... including clothes and missions that will let you do so much more. As for the general badassness... I find relics areas pretty dark, the Degahna pretty kickass, and the Holy Grounds mission music always gets me into an asskicking mood. Sure, a good load of missions seem easygoing and upbeat, like Mad Creatures. But we still haven't gotten Linear Train, HIVE, and so many others.

Shinzakura
Jan 26, 2007, 01:43 AM
On 2007-01-25 22:40, Criss wrote:
Personally, I LOVE PSU. Much more than PSO. Its weapon/photon-arts/race/job system is MUCH better, and the mission forks make the whole thing much less linear and repetitive (assuming you're the type of person to just go off with friends do mission together, instead of repeatedly doing whatever makes you level or get stronger the fastest). I do admit diversity is lacking in certain things like weapon design, but again, the game is still quite new, and there's still so many things left for them to add... including clothes and missions that will let you do so much more. As for the general badassness... I find relics areas pretty dark, the Degahna pretty kickass, and the Holy Grounds mission music always gets me into an asskicking mood. Sure, a good load of missions seem easygoing and upbeat, like Mad Creatures. But we still haven't gotten Linear Train, HIVE, and so many others.

QFT.

VanHalen
Jan 26, 2007, 02:05 AM
On 2007-01-25 22:43, Shinzakura wrote:

On 2007-01-25 22:40, Criss wrote:

QFT.

Double QFT

Axel3792
Jan 26, 2007, 02:15 AM
PSO had the whole "Holy crap, there's an island where they were experimenting? WTF let's go!" thing going on. PSU is just "Well, I heard that Ethan fruitcake beat Magashi. Let's fight the dragon now."

Hmm. Seems like this is it:

secret underwater/beach/mountain/jungle areas > alien invaders

Oh, and the sound effects. PSO had the "doooowahh!" (lol) for megid (OMG RUN SIDEWAYS), and PSU has "bonk" (that's effectively what it is) (OMG STAND STILL)

BURNING RANGERS

Gotta say though, the PSO vets I've talked to are pleased with Bruce's dungeon... CMode all over again! Except that it is not a challenge anymore. At least we know that they still have the ceiling crushers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Slickk
Jan 26, 2007, 02:18 AM
probably the best thread and posts ever created on this forum

Palefire
Jan 26, 2007, 02:35 AM
On 2007-01-25 20:54, Alisha wrote:
something i've observed from friends that play online is that the game seems harder to play for long periods of time like pso was. at the height of my pso obsession i was playing between 8-12 hours a day. seems it would be harder to do that on psu. perhaps by design on the part of the developers? item synthing seems to really hammer this home. i've heard of synths that take 24 hours? wtf. rare boards like crea doubles are a joke too. of course i've heard that A boards are BS too.

Edit:i also abhor the lack of class identity. a fortefighter and a fortetecher could look exactly the same. they could of at least included type specific clothing.

Actually, that's one of the reasons I love the game. I'm all about customisation, where you -- the player -- choose how your character looks. Class uniforms are overdone and, IMO, stupid. (One more beef I had with RO -- all the sprites of each class all looked the same) There are plenty of other games that have that, which is just one more reason I don't play them.

However, a few of the things in the game could stand to be fixed. One of them is content, though that's to be expected as PSU is a new game. (If you're playing for 8-12 hours a day and you're bored, just stop playing and go read a book or something. Or, if you must, play a different game) Give it a few more months, and I'm sure we'll have a lot more content. I remember when City of Heroes first came out and players whinged about "lack of content". Yet if you play the game now, it will take you months to explore all there is in the game. So PSU is really no different than any other starting game when it comes to content.

The second, however, is due mostly to Sega's rather unwise decision to merge the PS2 and PC servers. As such, they designed the game with the limitations of the PS2, so there's not as much of a range in terms of things like clothing and the much-maligned colour palette. They really should have programmed each version to its strengths rather than try to make everything uniform across platforms. It's really crippled the game, IMO.

Pengfishh
Jan 26, 2007, 02:39 AM
Trazodone + Marijuana = Insanity. Not recommended -- not fully recommended, anyway. Ambien be damned!

ShinMaruku
Jan 26, 2007, 02:43 AM
I'll say I like it as much as I liked PSO.

Weeaboolits
Jan 26, 2007, 02:43 AM
On 2007-01-25 16:53, Gamemako wrote:

I hate megid.

God I hate megid.

I agree with this statement

Pengfishh
Jan 26, 2007, 02:46 AM
Oh, and I love PSU. More to do, more to see, better system all around, music is lacking but I'll honestly say I've only really heard Parum and Linear Line's tracks as I mostly listen to my own shit.

The way I see it, though, with all the hate and whatnot, most folks played PSO to death and beyond, two to three years straight of all that, letting it really soak in. I'm in there. I can remember fully all the music, could still navigate through all the variations of the levels with ease, could still rock some shits, raise a mag in a day or two, all that shit. But PSU is new. Several months old. It's been said many a time and is mostly true: folks are looking for that same ol' feelgood they got from PSO.

Won't happen so quick. Get yourself a new feelgood or continue with the old one. I have had some mighty fun with PSU, I enjoy it regularly, and I pretty much threw the life I had away for it, while PSO simply was my life at a time. Sad to say, but hey, the shit's ingrained. PSO was an experience and so shall PSU be. Can't be the same.

ShinMaruku
Jan 26, 2007, 02:49 AM
On 2007-01-25 23:43, Ronin_Cooper wrote:

On 2007-01-25 16:53, Gamemako wrote:

I hate megid.

God I hate megid.

I agree with this statement

Megid ain't that bad. Wait I'm a Force... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Weeaboolits
Jan 26, 2007, 02:50 AM
On 2007-01-25 23:15, Axel3792 wrote:
PSO had the whole "Holy crap, there's an island where they were experimenting? WTF let's go!" thing going on. PSU is just "Well, I heard that Ethan fruitcake beat Magashi. Let's fight the dragon now."

Oh, and the sound effects. PSO had the "doooowahh!" (lol) for megid (OMG RUN SIDEWAYS), and PSU has "bonk" (that's effectively what it is) (OMG STAND STILL)

BURNING RANGERS

Gotta say though, the PSO vets I've talked to are pleased with Bruce's dungeon... CMode all over again! Except that it is not a challenge anymore. At least we know that they still have the ceiling crushers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I wanna' play CDFS now...

Alisha
Jan 26, 2007, 03:03 AM

BURNING RANGERS

i heard trick trak plays in bruce's dungeon wich makes it automatic win.

Garnet_Moon
Jan 26, 2007, 03:07 AM
On 2007-01-26 00:03, Alisha wrote:

BURNING RANGERS

i heard trick trak plays in bruce's dungeon wich makes it automatic win.

It does play. Even when you fail Bruce's bc Bruce gets one-shot by a buffed bear in A-Rank, it's worth it because of that song playing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Pengfishh
Jan 26, 2007, 03:15 AM
On 2007-01-25 20:39, Shaia wrote:

This I will take issue with. We're getting a mighty tease, admittedly, with this slow release bullshit, but PSO's regular weapons were shit. Not even in comparison to PSU's regular weapons, just generally. With PSO, you had your rainbow assortment of glowy sticks, huge planks, weird razor on a stick, curvy door knobs, and generic space guns. PSU at least gives us three variations with most weapons, two for others, AND they sport different parameters for different styles of play.

There's a Japanese site around here somewhere that shows the known models of all weapon types which nearly cover all of PSO's weapons, if it doesn't outnumber.

AND there are more weapon TYPES to be choose from, AND the fucking left/right hand variations to consider.

So don't give me that shit. PSO v1 had bollocks for weapons and more than half the shit in later versions was almost completely unattainable if not completely useless, and ALL of that shit came in UPDATES anyway, years down the line.

nefarious
Jan 26, 2007, 03:35 AM
I'm so sick of the fact that there are areas that are "better" to do runs on, because otherwise you're just literally wasting time.

And screw PS2.

360 and PC could have new content/updates if they had put ps2 on an island of retarded obsoletion and hardware inferiority, and let 360/PC share a server, or just be on thier own.

The lack of ability to actually expand/update... is a fatal flaw.

EVERY mainstream successful MMO (Besides for PSO I think... I don't think PSO could update, I dunno, I never played it much) has had the ability to do more than just "unlock" pre-existing content.

I dare someone to name one, that has lacked that ability. (Besides for PSO)

Someone go start up a private server for PSU PC and put an EXP mod on, and release custom content, please?

Weeaboolits
Jan 26, 2007, 03:47 AM
I miss all the rares, especially my yamato (if only i could get ice twin yohmei sabers!), and my DB's Shield, I loved how the shields had an affect on you apearance, and I miss them in general, also the old unit slots, if only we could get multiple same slots...

Jozon
Jan 26, 2007, 06:08 AM
I think one of the main things wrong with it, is how they decided to keep all the content from us, there's NO storyline backing this game up(unless you play through crappy single-player which a lot of people I know didn't) so it essentially turned into, play the same few areas over and over just to get a levelup, not leveling up as a sidenote to doing something else.

One of the most memorable PSO moments was hunting for my agito, but in PSU I'd hunt for mats for 3months, hunt for the board for 5 months, wait 24HOURS for it to finish, with probably a 25-33% chance of success.

That is some BS imho

I wanna go back to the OMG RARE days where everyone is swarming the red box for whatever awesome item it was. That was the ONLY reason I really played PSO and they don't have that in PSU which deeply saddens me, I'm considering going to Blue Burst and ditching PSU(but BB is probably dead by now, and they don't update it anymore anyways)

well, hopefully in time they'll ditch the crappy synth system, OR at least let you find some specific rares in the form of a drop. Make grinding slightly better instead of, I got my svaltus sword to +2, without 3 star luck(major flaw) It has a ridiculously high chance of breaking, maybe if it just required you to have a certain rank of grinder and make that more rare, or give you at least a constant 80-70% chance on a grind if you use a say S-rank Grinder 5 on the 5th grind of your weapon

Knight_of_MIA
Jan 26, 2007, 07:42 AM
I do not know the contents availabe on Disk, but I might say not everyone likes to open a pandora´s box. No one know´s what´s inside. No one can measure the quality and quantity of this game, hence. 60% game value is wrong, but 90% is also wrong. The truth lies in between, as not only fans of the PS Series love this game.

Therefore we have to go with the contents we "obtained" so far:
- Nice graphics, not the best though but everyone can deal with it
- Really bad Music. Same as watching a good movie without the music. From my point of view, the most negative impact.
- Fair rares hunting what we call "rares" so far. Indeed, there aren´t many rares available by now. As by PSO, I expect ->styled<- weapons available by 10* and higher, except for Kubara articles which are already available
- Fair mixture between an Action Game and a RPG
- Well balanced difficulty
- Relatively small world to keep track. Perfect for rare hunting. Bad for RPG´ing.
- If you have the personality to refrain from using bugs and if you are a real man and smart enough not to overprice items (PC/PS2 only), you will surely enjoy PSU for a very long time.
- Great to play solo and mulitplayer: If you are looking for rares, soloing S-Missions is first choice, you may die as often as you like. If you are going for mission points, look for some companion.

In the end, PSU is much better than I expected. I am very confident ! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Almalexia
Jan 26, 2007, 07:49 AM
It is simple:

People are doing the same mission over and over and over again.

Phantasy Star De Ragan.

Admit it. You are all mad because you CAN'T play the other more FUN missions unless you're with friends who feel the same way. You know it's true. . .

It's why I know I don't play as much.

Cheeseycake
Jan 26, 2007, 07:50 AM
Its a really good game people just like to not take there time to beat it, they have to beat it in on play ><

Destruct05
Jan 26, 2007, 08:02 AM
I dont HATE PSU...however...there are some things about it that i somewhat dislike such as:
-Weak, Cliched Storyline
-Mediocre and Repetitive Music
-Besides the colors and producer-specific design, most of the weapons pretty much look the same.
-Not enough areas available atm.
-The clothing options available atm are CRAP! I wish that male characters could at least get some armor or a jumpsuit like the good old days instead of all these metro-y clothing styles that we are getting. If women can have armor, so should men!
-Did I mention the lack of good clothing styles?

Other than that, this game is good and slightly addictive. Now to get above lvl 60...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Destruct05 on 2007-01-26 13:08 ]</font>

jizaboz
Jan 26, 2007, 08:24 AM
I like most of the music... but that holiday music is some of the worst I've ever heard in a video game.

BloodDragoon
Jan 26, 2007, 08:33 AM
On 2007-01-26 00:35, nefarious wrote:
I'm so sick of the fact that there are areas that are "better" to do runs on, because otherwise you're just literally wasting time.

And screw PS2.

360 and PC could have new content/updates if they had put ps2 on an island of retarded obsoletion and hardware inferiority, and let 360/PC share a server, or just be on thier own.

EVERY mainstream successful MMO (Besides for PSO I think... I don't think PSO could update, I dunno, I never played it much) has had the ability to do more than just "unlock" pre-existing content.

Someone go start up a private server for PSU PC and put an EXP mod on, and release custom content, please?

PS2 would be cheat free if PC wasn't linked to it... >.>

Everquest on PS2 really didn't have any ability to store massive patches for content updates.

PSU PC private server? Well you still have Gameguard for protection so expect cheat city there...

All PSU PS2 needs is HDD support. The game would probably run alot smoother with it. I can be in the middle of Aht Urgran Whitegate on FFXI with my PS2 and not have any real load lag issues like I do on PSU.

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 26, 2007, 09:59 AM
On 2007-01-25 22:32, Miyoko wrote:

On 2007-01-25 20:44, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

Unfourtonately, the targeting stuff is as good as it'll get in any online MMO untill extremely high speed internet becomes easily accessable to normal households. But, it's better than everything hit-or-miss being determined by rolls, imo...

That's a reality I'd be willing to accept if I hadn't played Monster Hunter where the ONLY hit detection issus are getting tail-whipped by a few enemies so big their tails should just sail right over you, the occasional "hip check" attack, and the lenience of a raptor-type enemy only barely grazing you and not counting as a hit (this last one may have been done like that on purpose). And PSU has all the instanced-battlefield action of MH and only two more people allowed in a maximum party. Hardly "massive" enough to justify poor hit detection. But yes, it still beats everything being hit-or-miss based on rolls.

As for the graphical stuff... Some of it sounds like issues on your machine, not so much the game. I've never noticed any twitching grounds.

Are you a PC or 360 user? I've NEVER seen such twitching ground in all the other PS1 and PS2 games I've played. However, I don't notice twitching ground if I run around killing things. It's something that I see when I look around in first-person.

As for floating body parts, I think that's just the style. There's lots of floaty things like that; even your PMs. Heck, think about it, if humans today on earth had technology to make clothing pieces float like that, or any type of decoration, without showing particals of some sort, they'd do it, just because they can.

A non-humanoid PM floats in a way that I'm surprised it doesn't become seasick. The floating was obviously on purpose, given the animation it has. But if you look at the assplate of that really clunky CAST part (I forget what it's called, Gimnas maybe?), I really don't think that was intended to float. A minor thing, but still looks pretty bad.

MayLee
Jan 26, 2007, 10:15 AM
People will always complain about this and that. I actually like the game..

DikkyRay
Jan 26, 2007, 10:27 AM
i love pso
I love psu.
'nuff said

Weeaboolits
Jan 26, 2007, 11:50 AM
I love PSU, sure they broke afew things, but they fixed a lot too, the gameplay is MUCH better, in pso getting surrounded was certain death unless you were overleveled, in PSU it can actually be strategically advantageous to let the enemies surround you (i.e. Tornado Break) the game plays at a much faster clip.
I went back and played through the rest of ep 2 upon returning PSU, and it felt so wierd, you don't really notice how oddly the PSO chars move until you go back after PSU...

Axel3792
Jan 26, 2007, 11:56 AM
As for the whole Forest to Falz deal on PSO, do this:

De Ragan --> Onma --> Aghana --> Fulkis (when HIVE is released).

This will take a lot more time than on PSO, but hey, it works http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

btw (I like line breaks, lmao) when we socialize, instead of spamming the flyer bases, why not take our teams / friends to the Gawik's pub on Moatoob? Or how about those fancy pavilions on Neudaiz? Don't forget the Underground Lake... chill out in the caves! You know you want to.

Ryogen
Jan 26, 2007, 12:59 PM
let 360/PC share a server

X360 don't want anything to do with PC. We dont want your problems. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sinue_v2
Jan 26, 2007, 01:06 PM
Why not just hire the guys who did Skies of Arcadia? They seem compatant.

You mean... the original team who created the Phantasy Star series in the first place?

Yeah.. many of us old fans have only been SCREAMING for a return of Rieko Kodama and Tohru Yoshida since PSO first came out on the Dreamcast. (Though back then we were at least placated by the excellent release of Skies)

Actually, optimally, the best setup would be Yuji Naka and the PSO team working on the gameplay and the coding. Rieko and Tohru's staff at OverWorks handling the art direction and storyline. Then hiring an outside firm as a 3rd party (or at least someone competant within Sega) to handle network end of things.

The problem is, that Phantasy Star has always been a Sonic Team production. This is because the original Phantasy Star team was originally a division within Sonic Team which later split into their own division. Phantasy Star didn't follow the majority of it's creators, but instead simply stayed with the development house - which is now largely berrift of talent and inspiration. Yuji Naka (as much of a washup as he has been since the Saturn) was the last modicum of envisioned talent at Sonic Team - and now he's gone. While he did some basic overseeing of the PSU project - the majority of the final design decisions were under Takao Miyoshi's control.

Magician
Jan 26, 2007, 01:12 PM
PSU's soundtrack doesn't even compare to PSO's; PSO's soundtrack is on another level and worth listening to on its own, while most of PSU's tracks give me the nods.

Clone365
Jan 26, 2007, 01:18 PM
true... need some kind of classic mode for PSU^^ (not just the rappies)

*on topic: Pso owned my soul and now PSU is renting it^^

Ryogen
Jan 26, 2007, 01:28 PM
On 2007-01-26 10:12, Magician wrote:
PSU's soundtrack doesn't even compare to PSO's; PSO's soundtrack is on another level and worth listening to on its own, while most of PSU's tracks give me the nods.

I have to agree with you here. PSU's soundtrack isn't enough. There is just too little tracks in this game. Now the only track I really love in this game is Relics and that is the only place that sets me in the mood. Makes me say yeah...the song truly belongs in the enviroment.

Garnet_Moon
Jan 26, 2007, 01:32 PM
I hate PSU because today I realized; for the first time, my entire Partner Card list is empty and will never light up again. All 3 pages. I was going to start a party for the HIVE, and when I looked in the list and actually tried to remember the last time these people were on... meh. I've been doing PuGs so long i've forgotten they all left.

meh...

I got to the part where the 3 SEED-Vitace spawn at the same time in that REALLY small corridor. Yeah, it's the second room of the HIVE but it's quite a deterrent for solo forces on S rank. I laughed at first, and then I cried. All the other S games were locked. :

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-01-26 10:35 ]</font>

Witchblade56
Jan 26, 2007, 04:46 PM
Garnet PM me your ingame name, I can come help if im not too low :3

lildeezy
Jan 26, 2007, 05:14 PM
look kill all that noise everybody else talking about I like the game at 1st I didn't cuz it was so different but when u get into it its ctually a good game. plus its still a baby its fresh its new, everything hasn't come out yet...but they have regujlar updates puttin new things in, theres no cheating hacking dupeing none of that man give it a chance

Witchblade56
Jan 26, 2007, 05:19 PM
lolerskates lil.

I enjoy the game for what it is. I have my friends and thats that.

JaiBlue
Jan 26, 2007, 05:54 PM
PSU just dosen't give me that same "high" PSO did, Sadly it's just not the greatest MMO of it's time.

I guess there is no such thing as the perfect RPG game.

But you gotta admit pso at the time was pretty damn close.

Rip: Jais hopes and dreams of finding the perfect MMORPG game.

omegapirate2k
Jan 26, 2007, 06:54 PM
PSU!=PSO (As in it's not the same game, not worse, just different.)

And I'm totally okay with that.

Garnet_Moon
Jan 26, 2007, 06:56 PM
I was booted from a HIVE S run because I threw out a 1,051 damage Foie against a Del Tengogh.

The leader said the only thing fT's are good for in HIVE are healbots before he kicked me.

BloodDragoon
Jan 26, 2007, 07:05 PM
On 2007-01-26 14:54, JaiBlue wrote:
PSU just dosen't give me that same "high" PSO did, Sadly it's just not the greatest MMO of it's time.

I guess there is no such thing as the perfect RPG game.

But you gotta admit pso at the time was pretty damn close.

Rip: Jais hopes and dreams of finding the perfect MMORPG game.

IMO PSO was very far off from being the perfect MMO. It was entertaining and had aspects that could draw people in. However the entire game itself was IMO was lacking content wise in comparison to the MMO's running at the time some of which may still be going.

And when server security is so negligent that any script kiddy with a console cheat device can do things like erase or overwrite someone's character or deliberately cause their game to crash it gets worse. I personally didn't have this stuff happen to me but I know of alot of people that did though thinking back they tended to be ones that liked drawing attention to themselves on various forums and in the game itself... >.>

The server setup itself seemed to be little more than a 3D version of a basic internet game lobby with the whole player limit in actual combat area setup. (PSU still feels kind of this way as well or maybe better comparison would have been Diablo II B.net lobbies that you could run around in...)

I liked PSO and I like PSU. However with the game setup and such I find it hard pressed to really call it an MMO...

Garnet_Moon
Jan 26, 2007, 07:09 PM
On 2007-01-26 10:32, Garnet_Moon wrote:
I hate PSU because today I realized; for the first time, my entire Partner Card list is empty and will never light up again. All 3 pages. I was going to start a party for the HIVE, and when I looked in the list and actually tried to remember the last time these people were on... meh. I've been doing PuGs so long i've forgotten they all left.

meh...

I got to the part where the 3 SEED-Vitace spawn at the same time in that REALLY small corridor. Yeah, it's the second room of the HIVE but it's quite a deterrent for solo forces on S rank. I laughed at first, and then I cried. All the other S games were locked. :

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-01-26 10:35 ]</font>

Meh, it was 4 pages. I just finished deleting them.

Of what I have left...

7 are ppl I blisted but like to keep track of.
5 Are NPC's.
1 is Rizen
7 are people i'm too lazy to remove; they quit I just haven't gotten to them yet to delete it.
1 Is from someone who claims to be coming back, but hasn't yet...

So, 21 cards. None of which are... meh...

From four fucking pages, to not even half of one. I don't know why I even log in anymore.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-01-26 16:10 ]</font>

BloodDragoon
Jan 26, 2007, 07:14 PM
Well if you had my card I'd almost always show as online. Now whether or not I actually reply since I idle alot and not bother logging out is another story... >.>

Sharkyland
Jan 26, 2007, 07:22 PM
I thought PSO with it's Forest 1, forest 2 (you die, it's ok)... and then don't die in certain quests was good.

But why is everything now tacked on with mission points and meseta rewards and you die in one of those, everyone hates you then boots you, it's like just don't eff up. When you get to so and so level, like say lvl 35 and you want to join with lvl 60s... they kinda look down upon you sometimes because you're low leveled.

And btw... DON'T PICK UP "THAT" RARE.

---

Moon Atomizer X... how thee I despise you.

---

Xbox censoring... fricking hell or should I say: !@$%!@$%!@%$!@%$!@%$!@%$!@%$!@$%

---

PS2 switching weapons, argh!
Oh the enemies are already dead... -.-

---

SDJZ sucks now... period.

---

Max hit depending on wpns and techniques (swords: 3, ra spells: 3, di spells: 6, etc)

---

"Why are you so and so... stat wise they suck! Because they blah blah don't get this... blah blah don't get that..."

---

Shut up, PM. "Attack from-- " PM FATALITY...

---

Forces... only one spot I can hit for boss? wtf...

---

I know there's more... but yes I do have some good points about the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2007-01-26 16:33 ]</font>

Laranas
Jan 26, 2007, 07:27 PM
SEGA should jus
t realized that
english needs t
o have word wra
p to understand
something.

BloodDragoon
Jan 26, 2007, 07:35 PM
On 2007-01-26 16:22, Sharkyland wrote:
I thought PSO with it's Forest 1, forest 2 (you die, it's ok)... and then don't die in certain quests was good.

But why is everything now tacked on with mission points and meseta rewards and you die in one of those, everyone hates you then boots you, it's like just don't eff up. When you get to so and so level, like say lvl 35 and you want to join with lvl 60s... they kinda look down upon you sometimes because you're low leveled.

And btw... DON'T PICK UP "THAT" RARE.

---

Moon Atomizer X... how thee I despise you.

---

Xbox censoring... fricking hell or should I say: !@$%!@$%!@%$!@%$!@%$!@%$!@%$!@$%

---

PS2 switching weapons, argh!
Oh the enemies are already dead... -.-

---

SDJZ sucks now... period.

---

Max hit depending on wpns and techniques (swords: 3, ra spells: 3, di spells: 6, etc)

---

"Why are you so and so... stat wise they suck! Because they blah blah don't get this... blah blah don't get that..."

---

Shut up, PM. "Attack from-- " PM FATALITY...

---

Forces... only one spot I can hit for boss? wtf...

---

I know there's more...

Just wait till I find a way to build a gun that uses moon atomizers for ammo... >.>

PS2 Censoring is probably just as bad. Damn game censored the word "toss"...

Weapon swap problem on PS2? Don't really have that problem. Just the random glitch junk where someone swaps a weapon and the game thinks you did too...

Buffs are buffs. Don't complain they're better than nothing...

Max hits... Game balancing most likely. There werent many weapons in PSO that hit absurd numbers of targets at a time except for slicers, swords, partizans, heaven punisher's special... etc... Ra level techs could but meh casting range for them kinda sucked IMO...

PM's... Falls in with NPC's. Alot of the chat they spam is useless and annoying at times however theres those instances when the things they say come out at the right time and will give you a decent laugh.

*Random noob joins game*
*Me* Hello
*Laia* GET OUT OF HERE!
*Random noob leaves game*
*Me* O.o;

Class/race gripes and such or people telling you said combo you're using sucks. Well just ignore them, they're stuck up people who want to be elitists.

If forces ever get to hit multiple hit locations on a boss they better damn well let my SUV's do it too! >.>

My biggest gripe atm... No BDSM dungeon room decoration... >.>

nefarious
Jan 26, 2007, 10:00 PM
On 2007-01-26 05:33, BloodDragoon wrote:

And screw PS2.

Everquest on PS2 really didn't have any ability to store massive patches for content updates.

PSU PC private server? Well you still have Gameguard for protection so expect cheat city there...

All PSU PS2 needs is HDD support. The game would probably run alot smoother with it. I can be in the middle of Aht Urgran Whitegate on FFXI with my PS2 and not have any real load lag issues like I do on PSU.

If I'm not mistaken Sony is/was/already has dropped support of the HDD, basically because everyone abused it, and used it for piracy and stuff. In a nutshell.

HDD support would have been nice, in theory. BUT... They don't make them anymore. The new Slimline doesn't have the ability to even USE a HDD... In short, enabling it, would have been for a niche audience, and requiring it would have nerfed the PS2 user base.

Though I'm not terribly familiar with EQ on PS2, I'd guess not that many people played it, which would quasi-disqualify it from the MMO category and just make it an online RPG. Just like I don't really count Champions of Norath as an MMO.

nefarious
Jan 26, 2007, 10:05 PM
On 2007-01-26 09:59, Ryogen wrote:

X360 don't want anything to do with PC. We dont want your problems. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

or just be on thier own.

Please read the entire post. kthxbai.

ALSO ...

ST's efforts would be less spread out if everyone were on one server. Just a thought. Nothing more. Nothing less. We all know ST isn't going to listen, or change anything.

Laranas
Jan 26, 2007, 10:07 PM
On 2007-01-26 19:05, nefarious wrote:

On 2007-01-26 09:59, Ryogen wrote:

or just be on thier own.

Please read the entire post. kthxbai.

ALSO ...

ST's efforts would be less spread out if everyone were on one server. Just a thought. Nothing more. Nothing less. We all know ST isn't going to listen, or change anything.

If PS2/PC servers were split, both would probably be a lot more legit. PS2 for obvious reasons, but PC could get actual client patches instead of unlocks since it's not linked to the static PS2 (which probably can't handle server changes.)

Yuicihi
Jan 26, 2007, 10:08 PM
Gears of War fanboys on 360. I don't usually run into them, and they don't really care that I play PSU.

It's fairly repetive.

nefarious
Jan 26, 2007, 10:18 PM
On 2007-01-26 19:08, Yuicihi wrote:
Gears of War fanboys on 360. I don't usually run into them, and they don't really care that I play PSU.

It's fairly repetive.

Gears_Of_War != Hype_Gears_Of_War

BloodDragoon
Jan 26, 2007, 10:25 PM
On 2007-01-26 19:00, nefarious wrote:

On 2007-01-26 05:33, BloodDragoon wrote:

And screw PS2.

If I'm not mistaken Sony is/was/already has dropped support of the HDD, basically because everyone abused it, and used it for piracy and stuff. In a nutshell.

HDD support would have been nice, in theory. BUT... They don't make them anymore. The new Slimline doesn't have the ability to even USE a HDD... In short, enabling it, would have been for a niche audience, and requiring it would have nerfed the PS2 user base.

Though I'm not terribly familiar with EQ on PS2, I'd guess not that many people played it, which would quasi-disqualify it from the MMO category and just make it an online RPG. Just like I don't really count Champions of Norath as an MMO.

Niche? Maybe if you look in the US since FFXI came out on PC over here first however it came out on PS2 in japan before anything else and the game was sold out for awhile regardless of the price due to the HDD being included with it. And given consideration how many players from FFXI either played or are still playing PSU, atleast adding HDD support should have been an option. As is I might import a PS3 just to play Front Mission Online since SE decided to be pricks and not port the thing to the US. Other than that though I think there was only 1 other HDD enabled game on the PS2 which was the only title not made by SE...

I think Japan actually had the option to buy the HDD seperately as well. In the US it was only available with FFXI on the PS2. That limited availability and they fact it was effectively too little, too late is what lead to it tapering off...

nefarious
Jan 26, 2007, 10:34 PM
On 2007-01-26 19:25, BloodDragoon wrote

Niche? Maybe if you look in the US since FFXI came out on PC over here first however it came out on PS2 in japan before anything else and the game was sold out for awhile regardless of the price due to the HDD being included with it. And given consideration how many players from FFXI either played or are still playing PSU, atleast adding HDD support should have been an option. As is I might import a PS3 just to play Front Mission Online since SE decided to be pricks and not port the thing to the US. Other than that though I think there was only 1 other HDD enabled game on the PS2 which was the only title not made by SE...

I think Japan actually had the option to buy the HDD seperately as well. In the US it was only available with FFXI on the PS2. That limited availability and they fact it was effectively too little, too late is what lead to it tapering off...

So, in short...

"Alot" of people might have a HDD, so ST should have made PSU support it, in some way.

You hate SE because they didn't bring a game you wanted over here...

And, you like sharing anecdotal information, and going off on tangents.

Did I miss anything?

Merumeru
Jan 27, 2007, 12:06 AM
XP because i am begging for end-game content in what i thought would be a much longer gaming experience

DAMASCUS
Jan 27, 2007, 04:59 AM
The desert music( not the valley ) for Moatoob is my favorite music in PSU; besides the Bruce's Dungeon of course. goooo retro!!

This is a sad time for PSU and what few legit players remain will have to pull together and make for a safe and fun gaming environment. Many people have left to play other online games full time and that is sad enough, but now...

THE DUPING IS BACK!!! Yes,once again we must face this threat to our fair game. We have weathered the duping before and we will again. Unite and meet...oh wait, Server 15 is empty http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

dudeanonymous
Jan 27, 2007, 05:02 AM
item synth is not fun, you have to register your character online for online not on your memory card you can only use it online...stuff like that...

Mattardo
Jan 27, 2007, 08:53 AM
I can't befriend the monsters in the levels, and lead them as their glorious King to exterminate the human players that infest their worlds. Yeh. That's why I hate it.

-Ryuki-
Jan 27, 2007, 08:54 AM
I hate PSU? o_O?

DonRoyale
Jan 27, 2007, 11:17 AM
I don't hate PSU.

I just hate GameGuard.

And Universe 2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Ryuki-
Jan 27, 2007, 11:19 AM
You mean Uni 01? XD

DonRoyale
Jan 27, 2007, 11:20 AM
I don't care, they're both the same n00blands to me >.>

Wheatpenny
Jan 27, 2007, 11:31 AM
Why is this thread still going, even beter yet why was it even posted in the first place,I understand while everyone is entitled to their oppinion(God bless America) that we don't need yet another thread on this added to the umteeth number there already is. So what if it isn't PSO, last I remember it is PSU not PSO2.

Genobee
Jan 28, 2007, 07:22 AM
On 2007-01-27 08:31, Wheatpenny wrote:
Why is this thread still going, even beter yet why was it even posted in the first place,I understand while everyone is entitled to their oppinion(God bless America) that we don't need yet another thread on this added to the umteeth number there already is. So what if it isn't PSO, last I remember it is PSU not PSO2.

Nope it's not PSO2 it's PSO 1.5, Pa's are just over stylized Heavey Attacks. it's been 5 years and we still only have 2 buttons, 1 really if your a ranger or you spam pa's. Monster AI hasn't changed very much at all, Bosses are unispired and boring to fight at best. A sything system that feels tacked on and is un intuative and broken, Along iwth a shop system that is easily expoilted. It does have a Graphic improvement be it is still endicative of 2 years ago. to boot is a horrible port on top of that. Gamplay that is old and stale and the only thing to do is grind. and to top it all off a Uselesss offline mode that isn't even worth playing...

I dunno where people got that this is a new game.

Or maybe what you ment by this is't PSO2 it's PSU, is that "Hey Guyz! this an't gold it's crap!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2007-01-28 04:23 ]</font>