PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying types

JericHikari
Jan 26, 2007, 02:51 AM
A rare creature indeed that actually follows the RPG part of the MMORPG tag. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'd go nuts if the entire world was in character, especially considering most people online are absolute jerks.

I'm not really one for being in character that often, or consistently(i tend to slide in and out in conversations pending what's going on...least in games that is). However i'm trying to scrounge for more reasons to play this rather than follow the seductive whisperings of the WoW addicts(really, its a tough call, WoW has all sorts of cultural reffs scattered about, insane ammounts of content, it does not have gameguard, need I go on?).

Just....I dunno, would be nice to cobble together a story, especially with the new system I'm going to get likely going to be able t orun fraps along with PSU for posterity's sake.

Slickk
Jan 26, 2007, 02:54 AM
this game sucks. i like real mmorpg's like ff11. bye. send me im on any of my screen names

JericHikari
Jan 26, 2007, 02:57 AM
Tell me then. If the game sucks so hard why are you even here? I didn't ask people to spam 'ZOMFG tis games is lamm0rzzz!!!111.

VanHalen
Jan 26, 2007, 02:58 AM
this game doesnt suck it might not be much now but its gonna be really good in like a month or 2(personally im fine with it)

Zato-2TWO
Jan 26, 2007, 03:09 AM
I myself am actually an avid roleplayer. I don't do it often with other people around, but when I'm with friends, I'm in RP mode.

Granted, PSU's universe doesn't offer as rich a story to pick from like WoW does, but you definitely have your options for making characters and backstories. By default, the general 'story' of each character in PSU is that they are a recruit for the GUARDIANS, but there are certainly ways to pick around this and find something you like.

For instance, Meylen is an employee of GRM Enterprises who the company lent to the GUARDIANS to collect combat data in order to compile a rare software for CAST demolition units (a play on the fact that early into the game, there were pretty much no Protransers =P). My friend Yuuki has her backstory set so that she is an ex-AMF mercenary who just recently converted to the Communion of Gurhal, and is only working with the GUARDIANS on behalf of the COG.

There are quite a number of things to work with, with regards to PSU's setting. With the story missions coming out every update or so, you can immerse your character into an actual storyline and uncover more facts about the world (unlike WoW, where you'd be doing insignificant wolf-killing tasks until you hit 60 =).

JericHikari
Jan 26, 2007, 03:17 AM
Ahh, Good so long as there's a background i can patch my character's story into without it coming off as complete BS/fan material with no bearing on the actual game.

I'm not seeing this as an equivalent to WoW. I'm seeing PSU as the next step up from PSO, and you know what? That makes me happy. PSO was great for both pickup things where you and three friends could sit and grind for a half hour or so, or go on an all nighter doing quests or F2F runs.

I have ideas in mind. I just need to see if my GF is gong to be interested in the game and what she wants to do before refining things as i intend on posting an ongoing character journal in fan works when I start(its gonna be awhile from now though as I need a whole new machine...and saving up isn't exactly easy when bills are eating you alive and you're on a min wage job).

-Ryuki-
Jan 26, 2007, 03:23 AM
Interesting much. All of my characters are supposed to be RP characters, but lately, I've been in OOC mode XD

Criss
Jan 26, 2007, 03:47 AM
As much as I like to roleplay in games, I haven't done much RP in PSU yet. But I guess my excessive soloing doesn't help. I don't really have a background story yet, but I've been having fun messing around with others using the casts' superiority over "organics" attitude and such things. I would have to meet more RPers and less "let's spam DeRagan runs to get adv type before level 30" people, but I definitely would consider roleplaying my character.

Pentence
Jan 26, 2007, 04:04 AM
Yeah i also have a pet peve with RPers furrys and badasses.I eman come on people we DO NOT need another lonely/abandoned/depressed antihero.I prefer a mroe realistic background and plausable story.Heck i have coem to find that the more regualr chracters are the more interesting.mainly becouse ya think "why and how did THAT guy from the farm end up here?".

Now as for my chars and my habits i generaly havent RPed muchlately none of my friends who rp seem to have time.My chars tho are all simple folk realy Pent grew up on a farm on moatoob Arino is a LT for the heavy arms and support division of the AMF.A new charater im thinking up next is just a old human who still helps the guardians here and there he use to love sumo wrestling and so hes a rather large strong man even at his age.

Slickk
Jan 26, 2007, 04:04 AM
soloing is boring

Deja_Vu
Jan 26, 2007, 04:14 AM
On 2007-01-25 23:54, Slickk wrote:
this game sucks. i like real mmorpg's like ff11. bye. send me im on any of my screen names

FFXI is boring, and no one wants to send a douche like you IM's, so thats out of the question.

Oh yeah, and RPing is lame and it really annoys the hell out of me along with the "XD" face.

Zato-2TWO
Jan 26, 2007, 04:16 AM
You THINK you can start a thread for RPers without someone barging in and going "RP IS LAME, YOU ARE LAME, YOU LOSE THE INTERNET", but you would be wrong.

Sorry for not mindlessly grinding away like you other folk, but I have my own way of enjoying the game, thank you.

NisukeReach
Jan 26, 2007, 04:22 AM
Zato-2TWO → of course. roleplaying is something like dramatising a game to help you enjoy the game, as you've mentioned. Not everybody likes grinding away at liscense levels, character levels, or partner machinery levels, and i certainly hope that not every person does feel like they need to do those things to get somewhere in the game. have you ever noticed that it is fun to create new characters?-join pick-up parties?-mess around at the hot springs. People liek seeing people, and i have also learned that people like involving themselves with others.... it's on the lines of narcissm but.. it can't exactly be helped.

roleplaying has a role in a role playing game. i wouldn't let anybody tell you otherwise

NisukeReach
Jan 26, 2007, 04:23 AM
Zato-2TWO → of course. roleplaying is something like dramatising a game to help you enjoy the game, as you've mentioned. Not everybody likes grinding away at liscense levels, character levels, or partner machinery levels, and i certainly hope that not every person does feel like they need to do those things to get somewhere in the game. have you ever noticed that it is fun to create new characters?-join pick-up parties?-mess around at the hot springs. People liek seeing people, and i have also learned that people like involving themselves with others.... it's on the lines of narcissm but.. it can't exactly be helped.

roleplaying has a role in a role playing game. i wouldn't let anybody tell you otherwise

panzer_unit
Jan 26, 2007, 10:10 AM
I try to make my cast character talk like an army robot. I like hanging out with RPers more than people who make it really clear that they're just some dude sitting on a couch playing a game :|

Akaimizu
Jan 26, 2007, 12:09 PM
I love the way that the first response to a topic about role-playing in an online-RPG, is someone talking up about the exact game that with a community that is *mostly* aggressively against any kind of Role-playing. I've been to FFXI for a good while. Roleplaying there? No, thank you.

I actually don't have any pet-peeve or issue with RPers, whatsoever. Some people are good at it, and generally the people who do are not bad. It's one thing to simply come up with a generic character and act it out with no inspired backstory behind it. Another one to come up with your personal touch and act upon it.

It's all in good fun, and in general, helps dress up a good atmosphere to the thing. I'm just glad that (without actually having RP servers) the community of PSU hasn't gone towards that *aggressively against* aspect that can plague this kind of game. If the player is a good player, it shows, whether they portray characters or not.

There's only 1 single thing I can't stand for, in an online game, is abuse whether it is verbal or in text. Something I've never seen from RPers, but have seen plenty of times from the total opposite. If, for one second, you even think that verbal abuse is a better tolerable thing to deal with; then you really shouldn't be playing this game.

The fact that people even think that the RPers *think* they are what they're not, and are not simply doing it to contribute and "play a part" goes to show how incredibly ignorant they are. It's like the correct idea never even creeps in their mind.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-01-26 09:12 ]</font>

Axel3792
Jan 26, 2007, 12:23 PM
I roleplay sometimes, but I sure don't stick with the restricting idea that everyone is a Guardian recruit... My character was in the AMF Special Forces, but now he hangs out with the regular Joe's and plays music and trades illegal firearms and such...

JericHikari
Jan 26, 2007, 12:54 PM
Sweet. I'm not the only person who thinks characters deserve some sorta background and such. Sure its not needed and if you wanna sit and mindlessly grind the same stuff over and over be my guest(and more power to you!). Its just...I dunno, I've always been more of a community/interpersonal interaction type m'self.

BlackJet666
Jan 26, 2007, 08:33 PM
I am a huge fan of role playing my characters in almost any rpg game I play, but holy cow does PSU hate RP'ers. I now only RP with a close friend when we are alone because I have been booted and mocked every single time I so much as utter something in character..

I remember this player, Punisher, didn't even let me get past my greeting. I said hello in character and started screaming that he was giving me the boot, so I quickly typed out that I'm role playing and that I'm not some spammer bot or what have you. He simply started calling me names and other crap, I defended myself for just a minute before he and the rest of the group decided to boot me anyways. I thought, wow maybe this was just an odd coincidence that a group of people would think like that.. but no, the next group responded to my greeting with "You've gotta be kidding me"

So as much as I would love to share the short story I have my character, as much as I would love to charge into battle with a war cry, or even just have some mindless banter in character, I can't because the people I have to level with would rather boot me for having fun. Shame on me for trying something different from the LOL's and ROFLS that is the internets.

Sharkyland
Jan 26, 2007, 08:36 PM
Most of my shortcuts explain my characters on how they speak. I do like to roleplay sometimes thinking about their view on their character's PoV about the storyline. But most of my characters are already part of my comic. I can connect the whole ps series but I can be proved wrong but I don't care, it's my story. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AlieNxxxxxxxx
Jan 26, 2007, 09:12 PM
If you role play then you need to get a girlfriend and role play some kinky sex shit, not get on the internet with a bunch of dudes pretending to be girls and roleplay with them....

PSU is not about roleplaying, it is about leveling up your pathetic little character and partner machinery and showing off infront of everyone thinking you are cool... And when you are done with that you get a shitload of meseta to show off showing how much of a nerd you are to actually gain that much meseta.

Go back to high school so you can get beat up for being a role player and taking a game so seriously.

VanHalen
Jan 26, 2007, 09:16 PM
On 2007-01-26 18:12, AlieNxxxxxxxx wrote:
If you role play then you need to get a girlfriend and role play some kinky sex shit, not get on the internet with a bunch of dudes pretending to be girls and roleplay with them....

PSU is not about roleplaying, it is about leveling up your pathetic little character and partner machinery and showing off infront of everyone thinking you are cool... And when you are done with that you get a shitload of meseta to show off showing how much of a nerd you are to actually gain that much meseta.

Go back to high school so you can get beat up for being a role player and taking a game so seriously.

are you saying that based on personal accounts that happened in your life?

oh and i'll RP with you guys if you can help me out with it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif since i'll be new to it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-01-26 18:17 ]</font>

BloodDragoon
Jan 26, 2007, 09:36 PM
On 2007-01-26 18:12, AlieNxxxxxxxx wrote:

No one dared to make fun of me being a role player in high school. They valued living...

Then again I wasn't a "geek" or "nerd" either. I enjoyed things like metal shop, capentry, mechanics, conditioning (School sports could piss off for all I cared. I really didn't see a point to them.), took an art class that only lasted for about 1 quarter due to myself and the teacher having a disagreement about manga being art...

My main hobbies in school. Gaming (both video and r/p) and racing.

Also did you know in the early days of theater there were no female actors at all and all the female parts were played by men roleplaying as women? Both eastern and western theater had a phase like this.

Shinzakura
Jan 26, 2007, 09:55 PM
Personally, and I could care less what other people think about it, I love the chance to RP on the game. Yes, the backstory for PSU is a little sparse, but the fact of it is, all of our characters are merely the sidestories through which Ethan, Karen, etc. live their lives (this is obviously shown through story mode). However, some of the sidestories tend to be the better stories - take a look at the Star Wars, Star Trek expanded universes, for example.

So, to those who RP, go for it. It's fun and a great way to socialize. For those who are here mainly for the hack n slash, that's fine too, whatever floats your boat. But for someone to bitch about RPing in an MMORPG is bordering on stupidity at best.

Palefire
Jan 26, 2007, 09:58 PM
On 2007-01-26 18:36, BloodDragoon wrote
No one dared to make fun of me being a role player in high school. They valued living...

Then again I wasn't a "geek" or "nerd" either. I enjoyed things like metal shop, capentry, mechanics, conditioning (School sports could piss off for all I cared. I really didn't see a point to them.), took an art class that only lasted for about 1 quarter due to myself and the teacher having a disagreement about manga being art...

My main hobbies in school. Gaming (both video and r/p) and racing.

Also did you know in the early days of theater there were no female actors at all and all the female parts were played by men roleplaying as women? Both eastern and western theater had a phase like this.

Heh...you and I would have gotten along great. I was something of a female jock, so people tended to leave me alone unless they wanted ghetto plastic surgery. I was also a theatre geek, so when I was introduced to LARP...well...

Needless to say, I RP every chance I get in-game. In fact, my brother and I RPed for about an hour at the Kugo Hot Springs, focusing on the "things that didn't add up" to our characters from the solo story missions. (Oh, and I wouldn't insult him about being an RPer, either...he's a Marine who's been to Iraq twice) Lots of intrigue and us asking questions certain story mode characters wouldn't want us asking. And both of us had a blast.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Palefire on 2007-01-26 19:03 ]</font>

Laranas
Jan 26, 2007, 09:59 PM
All my characters have a deep, involving story; but I don't roleplay. Sometimes I'll say things like "Laranas lived here at one point", but not "We have an assignment, we need to eliminate the SEED at XX Location." I don't think it's stupid, I'd just rather be myself if not everyone is an RP'er. Nothing ruins a mood like seeing "haha u guyz are stupid lol" when you're trying to be a serious Guardian.

As for the girlfriend thing: Not all RPs are sex scenes.

foamcup
Jan 26, 2007, 10:19 PM
I'm in character pretty much all the time. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif All you inferior beings (cast, human, beast) need me to tell you what to do. FOnewman FTW!

VanHalen
Jan 26, 2007, 10:20 PM
On 2007-01-26 19:19, foamcup wrote:
I'm in character pretty much all the time. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif All you inferior beings (cast, human, beast) need me to tell you what to do. FOnewman FTW!

HUnewm FTW!

foamcup
Jan 26, 2007, 10:26 PM
On 2007-01-26 19:20, VanHalen wrote:

On 2007-01-26 19:19, foamcup wrote:

HUnewm FTW!

Newmans in general FTW! And newearls covered in cake! <_<

VanHalen
Jan 26, 2007, 10:29 PM
awww yeah cake covered newearls. wouldnt mind RPing with those near me lol

nefarious
Jan 26, 2007, 10:29 PM
PSU isn't set up to in any way shape or form facilitate RP. Meaning it's a very poor enviornment for RP.

Similar to how outerspace is a poor enviornment for breathing.

... In short... if you attempt to RP and suffocate...
Don't act surprised.

BloodDragoon
Jan 26, 2007, 10:30 PM
Just make sure you bake the cake before hiding the newearl in it... >.>

Though they're more fun covered in chocolate syrup...

foamcup
Jan 26, 2007, 10:32 PM
On 2007-01-26 19:30, BloodDragoon wrote:

True, but the cake joke is something me and Van came up with way back in October. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

VanHalen
Jan 26, 2007, 10:34 PM
On 2007-01-26 19:32, foamcup wrote:

On 2007-01-26 19:30, BloodDragoon wrote:

True, but the cake joke is something me and Van came up with way back in October. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

YES i remember that that was during the newman supremacy lol

Sharkyland
Jan 26, 2007, 10:40 PM
If you don't want to roleplay, then don't roleplay. Arguing in this thread is kinda pointless on why people shouldn't roleplay. If there was no roleplay, we have no imagination. There would be no video games, no comic books, not even fiction literature.

Sometimes people get greater ideas from a simple idea that someone made up. I can't name an example off the top of my head, but i can tell you there are tons of them out there.

Sekani
Jan 26, 2007, 10:51 PM
I don't know if what Akaimizu does with his characters would be considered roleplay, but it's a lot more interesting than the usual fake-olde-fantasy drivel that annoys the FUCK out of me when I hear it in most games that attract roleplayers.

Kirip-san
Jan 26, 2007, 10:52 PM

Lol...
FFXI is less fun than this imo~nyo.
Not action-based enough~nyo.
All you do is either hit auto-attack, macros that cast spells/use abilities/shoot for you, and use a bit of strategy~nyo.

There's not enough interaction in battle compared to PSU~nyo. There's no realistic way to avoid getting hit in FFXI (magic and "dodging" doesn't count). Even if you tried to run away from a battle, monsters can still magically hit you as you're running~nyo.

I got bored watching the game play itself for me most of the time, and that made me quit~nyo.

Ok, about roleplaying~nyo:

I play a girl and act similarly to one~nyo (No, I will not "roleplay" with men~nyo. That's just creepy~nyo...) Probably similarly to that of a Japanese schoolgirl~nyo. =x
Lets me have more fun while playing the game~nyo.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kirip-san on 2007-01-26 19:55 ]</font>

nefarious
Jan 26, 2007, 10:57 PM
On 2007-01-26 19:52, Kirip-san wrote:

Lol...
FFXI is less fun than this imo~nyo.
Not action-based enough~nyo.
All you do is either hit auto-attack, macros that cast spells/use abilities/shoot for you, and use a bit of strategy~nyo.

There's not enough interaction in battle compared to PSU~nyo. There's no realistic way to avoid getting hit in FFXI (magic and "dodging" doesn't count). Even if you tried to run away from a battle, monsters can still magically hit you as you're running~nyo.

I got bored watching the game play itself for me most of the time, and that made me quit~nyo.

lol.

FFXI has alot of downfalls.

Lack of stuff to do durring battle is not one of them.

You could argue that too much is macrobased... but you could argue that PSU is usually nothing but mashing the same attack/pa and same button 90% of the time.

When you get past the total lowbie/newbie levels... there's -always- something to do. Saying otherwise is ignorant, which is understandable if you never made it that far, but the fact of the matter is that battles become much more dynamic at later levels, with much more to do that just "sit there"

That said..

I'm still sick of FFXI.

And even my previously loved 75thf with capped evasion that can solo chains... does not offer enough entertainment to make me wanna play.

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 26, 2007, 11:11 PM
I'm not quite sure how I got here, and I've forgotten a lot of what I knew prior to getting here. All I know is, the Gurhal system sucks ass. How can an entire solar system have only ONE bar and ONE club, and there's not a single drop of booze in the bar and the club's always closed? I've wanted to try towns other than Holtes, Clyez, Ohtoku and Dagora, but nobody lets me go there. Not only that, there are very few interesting people to interact with, and the ones that do are pretty much in the same boat that I'm on: The only fun thing to do is kill stuff and bullshit while doing so. I don't know about the rest of you citizens of Gurhal, but I have nothing to fight for aside from trying to have some fun. The world apparently only needs saving from all the Prohibitionist assholes that run this system and hide somewhere I can't go to, so there's nothing I can do but kill the SEED that keep on invading.

nefarious
Jan 26, 2007, 11:14 PM
On 2007-01-26 20:11, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
I'm not quite sure how I got here, and I've forgotten a lot of what I knew prior to getting here. All I know is, the Gurhal system sucks ass. How can an entire solar system have only ONE bar and ONE club, and there's not a single drop of booze in the bar and the club's always closed? I've wanted to try towns other than Holtes, Clyez, Ohtoku and Dagora, but nobody lets me go there. Not only that, there are very few interesting people to interact with, and the ones that do are pretty much in the same boat that I'm on: The only fun thing to do is kill stuff and bullshit while doing so. I don't know about the rest of you citizens of Gurhal, but I have nothing to fight for aside from trying to have some fun. The world apparently only needs saving from all the Prohibitionist assholes that run this system and hide somewhere I can't go to, so there's nothing I can do but kill the SEED that keep on invading.

This is an amusing and accurate way of looking at PSU.

JaiBlue
Jan 26, 2007, 11:20 PM
Everytime I hear the words roleplay I was think of a couple who is trying to add fire back into a failing love life.

and domatrixes

and cybering (remeber kids always use a firewall while cybering or you and your partner can end up with an etv's(eletronically transmitted virus)
eww....

Shinzakura
Jan 26, 2007, 11:30 PM
On 2007-01-26 19:29, nefarious wrote:
PSU isn't set up to in any way shape or form facilitate RP. Meaning it's a very poor enviornment for RP.

Or rather, that someone who cannot RP is such a "spartan" environment as you're describing has little to no imagination at all. I could think of less locations where people with imaginations have thrived - play using nothing but one prop, for example - but the gist of it is that role playing takes imagination; the less you're handed, the more you make the most of what you have and that thus makes you a better RPer.

Regardless of that, there is a lot to use for RP fuel in this game. That's part of the reason behind the title itself - Phantasy Star UNIVERSE. Not just in the astrospatial type (admittedly, three planets and two space stations - to date - seem fairly spare in comparison to a "universe" label), but also in the dimensions of interactivity. This is not just for hack and slash, but also to socialize, whether it's people you meet online, a bunch of friends in a new equivalent of the weekly poker night, or people to meet online to RP.

Palefire
Jan 26, 2007, 11:43 PM
On 2007-01-26 20:30, Shinzakura wrote:
...the less you're handed, the more you make the most of what you have and that thus makes you a better RPer.

Heh...I can think of a good real-life example of this variable at play: the World of Darkness (http://"http://www.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/"). Years ago when I was an RPG n00b, (I'm so old that I remember the first edition of Changeling) I thought these games were TEH MOSTEST AWESUM EVAR! But after a few years of experience under my belt, I realised that White Wolf oversaturated their game with supplements, effectively killing their games. While they were trying to flesh out a world for people to play in, they forgot to give RPers enough rope to hang themselves with.

To wit: some of the best games I've played in used only the most basic core books (using later editions only to fine-tune the rules) and ignored everything else so that their RP world could be shaped to the Storyteller's vision. And oftentimes, those visions were thousands of times more rich than anything the developers at White Wolf could even dream.

So when it comes to RP, less really is more.

nefarious
Jan 26, 2007, 11:54 PM
To the last two posts...

All I care to say, is clearly, the masses disagree.

JericHikari
Jan 27, 2007, 12:05 AM
Considering I've had good well drawn out sessions in PSO(granted it wasn't on the sega servers...but we'll not go into detail) where you had even LESS to play with in way of props/clothing/SPACE...I'd say PSU has potential to do wonders for storytelling if you've got the imagination for it.

natewifi
Jan 27, 2007, 12:10 AM
Roleplaying seems best for PvP, you cant have villains, and rivals or w/e without being able to settle the score between the two IMO http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Palefire
Jan 27, 2007, 12:41 AM
On 2007-01-26 20:54, nefarious wrote:
To the last two posts...

Because imagination is a lot more rare than people like to believe.

BloodDragoon
Jan 27, 2007, 01:06 AM
On 2007-01-26 21:41, Palefire wrote:

To the last two posts...

Sadly it's true. We can thank TV stations like Nickelodeon for ruining the minds and imaginations of America's youth...

nefarious
Jan 27, 2007, 01:09 AM
On 2007-01-26 21:41, Palefire wrote:

To the last two posts...

Because if I want to use my imagination I'll use it on my own terms...

Trying to force RP and Imagination into places it doesn't fit is like trying to find odd shaped holes to stick your "thing" in.

It's just kinda creepy.

Editedperproactiveselfmoderation

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nefarious on 2007-01-26 22:12 ]</font>

Palefire
Jan 27, 2007, 01:23 AM
On 2007-01-26 22:09, nefarious wrote:
Because if I want to use my imagination I'll use it on my own terms...

Trying to force RP and Imagination into places it doesn't fit is like trying to find odd shaped holes to stick your "thing" in.

It's just kinda creepy.

Editedperproactiveselfmoderation

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nefarious on 2007-01-26 22:12 ]</font>

Uh...at what point did I write that I was forcing imagination? The game is highly conducive to RP...it's just MMO players in general don't want to bother because they'd rather grind. (Hell, CoH's developers actively encouraged RP)

If you have to be spoonfed in order to RP, that's a personal problem, not a shortcoming of your environment.

And I wouldn't know about sticking my "thing" in anything, being just a girl and all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Palefire on 2007-01-26 22:24 ]</font>

nefarious
Jan 27, 2007, 01:43 AM
I was trying to point out what I wrote in my other post.

"PSU isn't set up to in any way shape or form facilitate RP. Meaning it's a very poor enviornment for RP. "

Meaning that you have to try exceedingly hard to fit RP into PSU, it just plain doesn't seem to fit in anywhere.

And the anaology was intended as levity. And the idea was "Trying to fit stuff where it doesn't belong"

Asuri
Jan 27, 2007, 01:49 AM
i RP in oblivion pretty much only, and maybe nwn2

VanHalen
Jan 27, 2007, 03:16 AM
On 2007-01-26 22:43, nefarious wrote:
I was trying to point out what I wrote in my other post.

"PSU isn't set up to in any way shape or form facilitate RP. Meaning it's a very poor enviornment for RP. "

Meaning that you have to try exceedingly hard to fit RP into PSU, it just plain doesn't seem to fit in anywhere.

And the anaology was intended as levity. And the idea was "Trying to fit stuff where it doesn't belong"

its not that hard though im only starting the RP thing(so far like a joke) i got pretty far in my character bio. he's a 16 year old newman who is the 1st heir to the Shiranui family fortune(his sister my sister's character is the 2nd heir). their parents own the Matoi clothing company on Neudaiz. they were tired of they're pampered life and yearned to seek adventure and joined the guardians mobile defense force along with their already registered CAST bodyguard Koen Taylor.

-Ryuki-
Jan 27, 2007, 08:53 AM
Heh, awesome! I know my RP group now~

Mey
Yuuki
Kiria

And, that should do. Yes~

Sexy_Raine
Jan 27, 2007, 09:23 AM
Everyone under me has unique personalities, it's how I role(no pun intended). I have no problems with others doing it, it can be amusing at times. Anyone that has seen Da ANA will probably be amused(or disturbed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif)

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 27, 2007, 10:31 AM
On 2007-01-27 06:23, Sexy_Raine wrote:
Everyone under me has unique personalities, it's how I role(no pun intended). I have no problems with others doing it, it can be amusing at times. Anyone that has seen Da ANA will probably be amused(or disturbed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif)

That's why my underlings are merely remote-controlled robots made of discarded CAST parts and missing any sort of personality or independence. So I don't wind up with *things* like Da ANA serving me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif The downside is, they all have far weaker combat capabilities than me, making them only useful for cool factor and to struggle against the obsoleteness caused by those extra-fancy advanced machines and their disturbingly humanlike combat behavior and intelligence (this struggle basically adding more cool factor).

(Oh yeah, I applaud those who are able to RP in this environment. Personally, I only RP within the boundaries of gameplay and without a story/lore-bound backstory. Gameplay boundaries can make things quite limiting (yet believable, probably since I just don't have the imagination to play a drunk character when there's no ingame inebriety), but without some fancy backstory I feel much more free to improvise when necessary.)

zanotam
Jan 27, 2007, 11:01 AM
I had soem fun RPing in other games like WoW, SWG and i even RP'd in PSO with my friends, but it just seems so hard to RP in PSU theres no background whatsoever.

Xorn
Jan 27, 2007, 11:34 AM
On 2007-01-26 01:04, Pentence wrote:
Yeah i also have a pet peve with RPers furrys and badasses.I eman come on people we DO NOT need another lonely/abandoned/depressed antihero.I prefer a mroe realistic background and plausable story.Heck i have coem to find that the more regualr chracters are the more interesting.mainly becouse ya think "why and how did THAT guy from the farm end up here?".

Now as for my chars and my habits i generaly havent RPed muchlately none of my friends who rp seem to have time.My chars tho are all simple folk realy Pent grew up on a farm on moatoob Arino is a LT for the heavy arms and support division of the AMF.A new charater im thinking up next is just a old human who still helps the guardians here and there he use to love sumo wrestling and so hes a rather large strong man even at his age.

Ok that's the difference between you and me. I would rather be the lonely badass type (Auren, Valentine, Piccolo, Sasuke, chaos, Ryu, Albel, etc) than the persistent emotional type (Ethan Waber, Tidus, Naruto, Goku, Fayt Leingod, etc). I don't usually RP when I am with friends, but I am very interested in the "loner" role when people I don't know try talking to me. Even a simple hello from a random person would urge me into that RP mode. But anyways you have to admit that a game's story must always have that one character that got pulled into something like saving the world, who really doesn't know why they are there and, is not sure of themself... Take Piccolo for example...
was a bad guy
was beaten by a good guy
stronger bad guy comes along
piccolo teams up with good guy to battle stronger bad guy
piccolo gets mixed emotions with good guy's son
piccolo becomes a member of the good guys but still keeps the badass attitude
can't get much better than that