PDA

View Full Version : Negative on PS2

PJ
Jan 27, 2007, 01:49 PM
I didn't know how else to title it

For those that have the negative opinions on the PS2 version of PSU, what kind of PS2 were you using? (Lest you're just a conformist bandwagonning 'PS2 sucks' kinda thing going)

I've just come from playing PSU in the most frustrating way. On a different PS2. The thing is though, it's way better on my OWN PS2. Mostly the loading is total crap, and sometimes mid mission (Especially Bruces) my weapon would have to RELOAD itself so I couldn't attack (This came up against some Bil De Vers, swinging my sword against them, then all of a sudden I'm holding my sword like it is ala loading, so running with it in one hand, and couldn't attack). It was ridiculous. Loading times itself (Both stages and weapons) were also longer, I might even wager double as long as normal.

He was using the chunky style PS2, I use my slim PS2. (He'll probably point himself out when he comes by, me dissing up his PS2 and all http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif)

And for those who I played with the past 2 nights, with the batteries coming out of the wireless controller at the end of Bruce's... XDXDXD Good times?

Weakness
Jan 27, 2007, 02:02 PM
I play on an old school PS2, the big bulky ones. It is actually the one I got from the original release lol. But it runs pretty well for how old it is. I did have the option of playing PSU on my girlfriend's PS3 not to long ago and it did make me see how slow the PS2 does run, so that is actually making me want to get a PS3 lol.

For the most part I don't have any troubles, I don't run as slow as people make it seem. It doesn't take forever for my weapons to load. It takes 2, maybe 3 seconds for rods/wands or switching to a different model type (i.e. going from a Double Saber to Twin Handguns), it isn't even noticeable if you switch to the same weapon though (i.e going from a Phantom rifle to a Phantom rifle).

Not sure if I have just kept my PS2 in better shape then most or what, but for the most part I don't have any problems with it. It does run slower then a PC or a PS3 would, but it isn't as awful as people make it seem.

Edited because I am a good speeler.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Weakness on 2007-01-27 11:03 ]</font>

Siertes
Jan 27, 2007, 02:03 PM
Weapon loading issues prompted me to switch to the PC version. I have a slim PS2 and I was constantly having to wait for my weapon to load while others were fighting.

And those damn PS2 noises...UGH!!!

CelestialBlade
Jan 27, 2007, 02:19 PM
PSU comes out as one of the last PS2 games made, I think it stands to reason that it's going to push the limits of it. The PS2's been out for a decent while and while I'd hardly call it primitive technology (don't forget your vector graphics days, folks), technology has come a good ways since.

I'd like to hear from someone that's playing it on a PS3, myself. Well, if you're rich beyond belief and can afford the bloody thing....

ShinMaruku
Jan 27, 2007, 02:34 PM
PS3 bitches! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I have much less hassle than you guys. :E

PJ
Jan 27, 2007, 02:36 PM
I'd mention I've got $600 more, but that's probably not the case, am I right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

ShinMaruku
Jan 27, 2007, 02:42 PM
It is real nice and smooth on this rather than on the PS2. I'm waiting till I cna find a way for rip this disc and put it on the HDD eliminate loading completley. XD

AlieNxxxxxxxx
Jan 27, 2007, 02:49 PM
PS3...
I pre-ordered 15 PS3's and sold 13 of them on ebay for $8,000 each... lol, the things nerds will do for the newsest game system.

ShinMaruku
Jan 27, 2007, 02:54 PM
Can't run that trip anymore.
ttp://www.ps3power.com/images/storage/ps3power2007.jpg

Weakness
Jan 27, 2007, 03:12 PM
On 2007-01-27 11:49, AlieNxxxxxxxx wrote:
PS3...
I pre-ordered 15 PS3's and sold 13 of them on ebay for $8,000 each... lol, the things nerds will do for the newsest game system.

One word...

Asshole.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Weakness on 2007-01-27 12:14 ]</font>

Siertes
Jan 27, 2007, 03:19 PM
On 2007-01-27 12:12, Weakness wrote:

On 2007-01-27 11:49, AlieNxxxxxxxx wrote:
PS3...

One word...

Asshole.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Weakness on 2007-01-27 12:14 ]</font>

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a difference in the way people act online and IRL.

Wheatpenny
Jan 27, 2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah I had a brand new slim PS2 and had all the problems on it. So its just crappy all around..

Shiro_Ryuu
Jan 27, 2007, 03:25 PM
man, $8k for all of those PS3s? man, who the hell would be so dumb?

Egg99
Jan 27, 2007, 04:07 PM
In response, I've been playing this online on PS3 since day one. I got through story on PS2 and then switched everything over.

To answer your question, the loading IS somewhat faster, but it's really only in the mileseconds. Levels and weapons load better, but the difference is less than a second. Personally I really don't care about the loading, it's the framerate that annoys the shit out of me. Because PS3 is emulating the PS2 coding for the game, it doesn't improve the framerate AT ALL, which means in parties of six you still easily hit the <8 fps mark.

When I first started, the framerate never bugged me because I was mostly soloing. Now I'm level 26, and joining bigger parties more and more, and finding that I'm completely and utterly useless. In Egam, with a party of six, it takes me about 6 seconds to cast ONE spell. Gibarta 21 without a Me / Quick would be absolutely ludicrous. In my opinion, they should've left the party size at four. With four people, the framerate is still choppy, but it's nowhere near the slideshow you get with six people. Sega should've never upped the party size. It's absolutely retarded on their part to release a game on such a technically-limited machine while releasing it on a platform like PC as well. Us PS2/3ers can't keep up, and all they're doing is scamming MORE money out of us by forcing us to buy the PC version. They're almost as bad as fucking Microsoft.

...sorry, had to vent. Hope that answers your question =)

PJ
Jan 27, 2007, 04:15 PM
My PS2 runs fater than your PS3?

No seriously, I have no problems on PS2 in 6 people parties.

I'd be lying if I said there was non in Bruces, but 6 people parties really aren't that bad.

Maridia
Jan 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
My ps2 loads fine, usually. I'd have to say my biggest complaint would be the slow motion that happens sometimes in a group of six when fighting. I mean, it isn't even a problem. Frankly, it's kind of COOL to see it all in slow-mo. It lets me gawk at the PAs. But every so often, it does kinda fail.

The weapon loading thing is annoying as shit when it happens. But it doesn't ALWAYS happen. And I do tend to lag more than others. Which sucks. But it isn't as if I could switch to PC if i wanted to. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

BoxerMcBoxe
Jan 27, 2007, 04:48 PM
Or you know it could just be how shitty my internet is you do know that. Remember everything we've done online, PSO and gunbound both lagged a bit for me. So yeah I can't see it being my PS2.

Deprimenthia
Jan 27, 2007, 04:49 PM
"the things nerds will do for the newsest game system."

Dumb ass.

PJ
Jan 27, 2007, 04:59 PM
On 2007-01-27 13:48, BoxerMcBoxe wrote:
Or you know it could just be how shitty my internet is you do know that. Remember everything we've done online, PSO and gunbound both lagged a bit for me. So yeah I can't see it being my PS2.

Soul Calibur 3 seemed slow in the outer world thingy.

Egg99
Jan 27, 2007, 05:24 PM
Considering that PS3 does have problems emulating a few games, I guess it's entirely possible that online actually runs WORSE on PS3 than it would on PS2. Although... like I said, I've never played online with PS2, so I really wouldn't know.

All I do know is that six people = slideshow, in almost any situation, and any mission. Especially De Ragon. For PS3, anyway.

BoxerMcBoxe
Jan 27, 2007, 05:58 PM
Hmm I might need something to clean my fan thing out on my GC and PS2 other then that. It might be a scratched lens which would be hard to fix.

ShinMaruku
Jan 27, 2007, 06:10 PM
On 2007-01-27 14:24, Egg99 wrote:
Considering that PS3 does have problems emulating a few games, I guess it's entirely possible that online actually runs WORSE on PS3 than it would on PS2. Although... like I said, I've never played online with PS2, so I really wouldn't know.

All I do know is that six people = slideshow, in almost any situation, and any mission. Especially De Ragon. For PS3, anyway.

Grab that firmware update works much better now.
As for online, other people tell me it's fine. I can't test right now so.. :E

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMaruku on 2007-01-27 15:12 ]</font>

DonRoyale
Jan 27, 2007, 07:21 PM
Good times indeed, PJ.

Meh, that sucks. Your PS2 must run slow, then.

BloodDragoon
Jan 27, 2007, 07:39 PM
I'm currently using the last model PS2 that had HDD support. Easiest way to tell is it has a built in IR sensor for a DVD remote and is missing either the optic port or the ilink port. Don't remember atm I don't have it with me. It has the HDD installed on it as well and I haven't had any of these uber lag issues that people complain about. Just minor slowdown in a full Bruce's game when the whole party has all 4 buffs on but that fixes itself when I turn the sound off. Other than that the only real framerate killer I experienced was a result of 6 casts getting the idea to all fire off an SUV at De Ragan at the same time but I think it was more the number spam that bogged the system than the SUV attack animations...

_tsunami
Jan 27, 2007, 09:10 PM
Its fine when its solo but because with all the different weaps of say members from a party of six, not to mention the data for their skills and techs, including sound effects must be reloaded. And don't forget to add all the fancy clothing and outfits each player has..

My PS2 sounds like its about to self destruct....

necman
Jan 28, 2007, 12:29 PM
I never played on a ps2 so maybe I should not say anything but maybe it's your connection. And unless you have a cable isp dump that router and get a hub. Routers have a built in firewall and it slows down connections greatly.