PDA

View Full Version : Lack of advertising?

DRO
Jan 29, 2007, 02:43 AM
Anyone else think that PSU is not being advertsied enough? To this day I think I only saw 1 pso commercial, and that was years ago for regular pso...Has anyone else seen Psu being advertised like other games such as Halo, GearsOfWar, NFS, madden, etc?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DRO on 2007-01-28 23:44 ]</font>

MayLee
Jan 29, 2007, 02:50 AM
Nope, I've only seen PSU commercials on Video game sites.

I haven't even seen the old PSO commercials before.

Kimil
Jan 29, 2007, 02:52 AM
We all know Sega is cheap... wont ever see them, ever

DRO
Exactly! This is an awesome game...and there are pleanty of addicts ...waiting to become addicted to this game...but don't even know it exists! wtf??

Bluepheonix
Same here none for psu seen, i would't of even know about it being release unless a friend told me

DRO
Jan 29, 2007, 02:53 AM
On 2007-01-28 23:52, Kimil wrote:

I wonder why Sega used to have that damn hedgehog on everyother station, but no love for PSU?

MayLee
Jan 29, 2007, 02:54 AM
On 2007-01-28 23:53, DRO wrote:

I wonder why Sega used to have that damn hedgehog on everyother station, but no love for PSU?

Hey, hey now. that damn hedgehod is the best. >.>

Siertes
Jan 29, 2007, 02:55 AM
I rarely see commercials for any video games, except the lame Sports and WWII games.

Bluepheonix
Jan 29, 2007, 02:57 AM
On 2007-01-28 23:55, Siertes wrote:
I rarely see commercials for any video games, except the lame Sports and WWII games.

Yea come to mention it the only gamesi see advertised is the EA ones... fifa, the sims, etc.

Skuda
Jan 29, 2007, 03:05 AM

They did have a commercial for Sonic the Hedgehog for the 360.

But yes, videogame companies should be making more commercials. Just look at Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom hearts 2. Especially for their demographic, the commercials really helped with the sales.

VanHalen
Jan 29, 2007, 04:19 AM
i've been advertising this game in school lol

A2K
Jan 29, 2007, 05:54 AM
Advertising, especially on television, costs a lot of money. A game like Phantasy Star Universe, sad to say, has rather limited appeal to most US gamers, being of the "Japanese RPG that isn't Final Fantasy" variety.

Shinzakura
Jan 29, 2007, 02:51 PM
On 2007-01-29 02:54, A2K wrote:
Advertising, especially on television, costs a lot of money. A game like Phantasy Star Universe, sad to say, has rather limited appeal to most US gamers, being of the "Japanese RPG that isn't Final Fantasy" variety.

Aside from this, the other thing to consider is SOA's budget. If you'll note, most of the commercials produced by Sega worldwide are for SOJ, because, being a Japanese company, that's where most of their business is. SOA, SOE, etc. get smaller budgets to work with as Sega's presence within the other regions is smaller than what it used to be. Granted, it would make more sense to add extra bucks to improve advertising where they need to grow, but at this stage, I suspect SOA/SOE are likely:
1. Spending money on name brands and established hits - Sonic, Virtua Fighter
2. Spending money on games assured to be large hits - Super Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher
3. Spending money on name recognition of the company itself (this has become less of a priority as Sega has departed the hardware business)

With that in mind, it makes it harder for marketing to justify spending money on niche games such as this one, regardless of how much we love it. We all go crazy over it, but there's these things called demographics which say that Americans and Europeans would rather buy the same football and/or soccer game over and over again with minor tweaks (game 05, game 06, game 07, etc.) than spread out.

Remember, games like this are major in the PC realm (which is why PSU got a PC release), but in the way of consoles, there's only been a handful...of which one of those was PSU's predecessor, PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shinzakura on 2007-01-29 11:53 ]</font>

Tomeeboy
Jan 29, 2007, 03:58 PM
The only places where I have seen any noticeable advertising/promotion recently would be Gamefly and Xbox Live Marketplace. For each of these, Phantasy Star Universe has been a 'featured' rental/download. The game also had a decent amount of magazine coverage early on, but I think that much of that was due to the success that PSO had. There was also that promotion with 1UP which seemed to be kind of a flop.

As mentioned, though, it's kind of a niche game with a loyal following. I doubt they needed much more than a couple magazine plugs and word of mouth for all of the PSO fans to find out about the game and try it out. It would be nice to broaden the fan base a bit, but maybe they didn't really see that as cost effecitve. They probably thought that their advertising funds would be much better spent in Japan anyway, as they would reach a much higher concentration of possible customers.

zanotam
Jan 29, 2007, 07:40 PM
On 2007-01-29 11:51, Shinzakura wrote:

Aside from this, the other thing to consider is SOA's budget. If you'll note, most of the commercials produced by Sega worldwide are for SOJ, because, being a Japanese company, that's where most of their business is. SOA, SOE, etc. get smaller budgets to work with as Sega's presence within the other regions is smaller than what it used to be. Granted, it would make more sense to add extra bucks to improve advertising where they need to grow, but at this stage, I suspect SOA/SOE are likely:
2. Spending money on games assured to be large hits - Super Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher
3. Spending money on name recognition of the company itself (this has become less of a priority as Sega has departed the hardware business)

With that in mind, it makes it harder for marketing to justify spending money on niche games such as this one, regardless of how much we love it. We all go crazy over it, but there's these things called demographics which say that Americans and Europeans would rather buy the same football and/or soccer game over and over again with minor tweaks (game 05, game 06, game 07, etc.) than spread out.

Remember, games like this are major in the PC realm (which is why PSU got a PC release), but in the way of consoles, there's only been a handful...of which one of those was PSU's predecessor, PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shinzakura on 2007-01-29 11:53 ]</font>

While seemingly true Sega last time I checked was a American company started in honolulu hawaii

Genji
Jan 29, 2007, 08:05 PM
On 2007-01-29 16:40, zanotam wrote:

While seemingly true Sega last time I checked was a American company started in honolulu hawaii

Yeah, in the 1940's.

Next time when you read an article (I'm assuming Wikipedia in this case), it'd help to read the entire thing.

In 1984, the multi-billion dollar Japanese conglomerate CSK bought Sega, renamed it to Sega Enterprises Ltd., headquartered it in Japan, and two years later, shares of its stock were being traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

EDIT: Should probably add, even when it WAS an American-owned company, most of it's business was done in Japan.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genji on 2007-01-29 17:11 ]</font>

GoldenFalcon
Jan 29, 2007, 08:08 PM
On 2007-01-29 17:05, Genji wrote:

Yeah, in the 1940's.

Next time when you read an article (I'm assuming Wikipedia in this case), it'd help to read the entire thing.

In 1984, the multi-billion dollar Japanese conglomerate CSK bought Sega, renamed it to Sega Enterprises Ltd., headquartered it in Japan, and two years later, shares of its stock were being traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

And that is why people say to check the wikipedia's information with reliable sites to see if it is true. Some of the info might be biased.

Sephlock
Jan 29, 2007, 08:08 PM
If the lack of advertising bugs you, why not make your own advertisements and put them up on youtube or something http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif?

Viral Video FTW!

Genji
Jan 29, 2007, 08:17 PM
And that is why people say to check the wikipedia's information with reliable sites to see if it is true. Some of the info might be biased.

And I did. Here is the source (http://www.sega.com/corporate/corporatehist.php?item=corporate_history).

And here are some points of interest:

The arcades and the U.S. home market crashed shortly after. Gulf & Western, which had spun off 20 percent of Sega, bought back the public shares and sold the U.S. assets to Bally Manufacturing Corp.

However, in Japan, Sega survived.

In 1984, Sega Enterprises was bought by a partnership between Sega Enterprises Japanese management and CSK, forming Sega Enterprises Ltd., a Japan-based company.

GoldenFalcon
Jan 29, 2007, 11:23 PM
On 2007-01-29 17:17, Genji wrote:

And I did. Here is the source (http://www.sega.com/corporate/corporatehist.php?item=corporate_history).

And here are some points of interest:

The arcades and the U.S. home market crashed shortly after. Gulf & Western, which had spun off 20 percent of Sega, bought back the public shares and sold the U.S. assets to Bally Manufacturing Corp.

However, in Japan, Sega survived.

In 1984, Sega Enterprises was bought by a partnership between Sega Enterprises Japanese management and CSK, forming Sega Enterprises Ltd., a Japan-based company.

I wasn't getting on your case... I was getting on zanotam's. I knew that you understood what you were typing about.

Shinzakura
Jan 30, 2007, 06:30 AM

Sorry, but it hasn't been since the 1970s, when Gulf&Western sold it. Other "American" companies that you might be surprised to find are actually Japanese: 7-11, Firestone, and Tower Records (well, the part that didn't go bankrupt).

For a reversal, Shirokiya was a Japanese company back in the 18th century which is now an American company based in - guess what? Honolulu.

Companies move all of the time, and some of them even move from other countries. Two other examples:

*Stanley Hardware - from the US to the Bahamas
*News Corp (aka 20th Century Fox) - from Australia to the US.

There's more to life out there than Wikipedia, and a lot more of it's better in accuracy, too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shinzakura on 2007-01-30 03:32 ]</font>