PDA

View Full Version : PSU-PC: Oldschool PSO player not digging PSU much...

VulpesMundi
Jan 30, 2007, 08:27 PM
So I've been playing PSU for over a month now (about a month online) and I find the game in total is uninteresting and boring. I've tried various things to help keep me interested, but nothing seems to help. I'm not happy soloing. I'm not happy partying. I'm not happy at how unbalanced the classes are, even moreso than they were on PSO (from my experience it completely supports ranger-types while everyone else plays catch up - unfortunately I'm a hunter-type player).

In particular, I'm not happy at how unbalanced the difficulties are. I loved PSO for the fact that it had a smooth difficulty progression. Once you beat one difficulty you were at a decent level to take on the next (even equipped with newbie gear you picked up along the way). In PSU, I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels as I do missions ad nauseum trying to get strong enough to hopefully be able to handle a higher difficulty. And I've managed to outfit myself with some decent gear in the process, too. It just seems that the journey isn't much fun to me this time around.

I dunno... I can't say PSU's a bad game, but all the same I find that I just don't like it. It's not the same and the differences just aren't as fun to me. Anyone else have or had that problem? If you did, how did you manage to overcome it? Or am I doomed to discover that this game just isn't for me?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2007-01-30 17:27 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Jan 30, 2007, 08:41 PM
I deleted PSU off my comp. I eventually realized that whenever I was in the mood to play a PSO-esque game... I picked PSO.

PM me. Let's get some BB action together. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Solstis
Jan 30, 2007, 08:52 PM
I eventually discovered that the game wasn't for me. Eh, stopped playing, and I don't have the time to try to rekindle some interest in it.

PJ
Jan 30, 2007, 09:23 PM
It seems like I'm one of the few oldschool PSO (Yeah, I mean version 1) players that love this game to death, and afterwards, can't stand how terrible PSO is in comparison. Blah.

EDIT: Actually, I can tell I really like PSU, when the ANTICIPATION for the game is what killed my enjoyment for PSO. I couldn't pick up the game after early September, and now when I try to play it, it's like sleeping, only without the benefit of not being tired.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2007-01-30 18:30 ]</font>

DLShAdOw
Jan 30, 2007, 10:01 PM
For me PSU is especially great because i can finally play online on my 360. The action is quicker and more upbeat. The levels just keep coming. The 360 isn't hacked almost at all (there have been some odd reports, but i've seen nothing myself yet). Photon arts make combat much more interesting, although the one thing i did expect to have in PSU was spell comboing which would be f'ing sweet.

The thing is that PSU just doesn't have the same drop system to have you hunting for stuff that you want. That there is one of the big problems. I loved in PSO that you would just do a run over and over with your friends to get the rare drop eventually, but in PSU it feels that most of the rare drops are just items that lead to the weapons by way of an obnoxious synth that may not even work.

In my opinion, I would rather have PSO's insane drop rates (e.g. 1/28K) than have the insane synth system and boring drops. Also this set in order crap has really ruined all the fun in getting a rare. I think that the perfect game would include PSU's visual style and combat with PSO's everything else (not it's hacking >_>).

AND OFFLINE MULTIPLAYER DAMMIT!!!! >_<

Parn
Jan 30, 2007, 10:06 PM
The problem with PSU right now is that it has a lot of potential and is designed to allow for a lot of mission possibilities. It seems as though that they can assign monsters elements, abilities, and levels as desired and can do all sorts of different layouts, but their incredibly slow pacing with the release of missions is killing interest, fast. Given the amount of development time this game received and the amount of delays it went through alongside the numerous special music tracks they have hidden on the disc, there really should be a lot more missions, but there aren't.

I mean, the game's whole plot revolves around the SEED, yet there are no SEED de-contamination missions, no use of the vehicles, and so on. They really need to get on the ball with the network mode.

trypticon
Jan 30, 2007, 11:01 PM
PSU isn't for me, that's for sure. I agree with you about the changes being uh... how should I say, less than interesting? Sure, I liked the new lobbies, because there was more than just the ship to go to, but those wonderful new places only helped to spread out the community, which was also lacking.

I got over this hurdle of not liking the game by not playing it anymore. I cancelled my online subscription, and haven't touched the game since. The only time I played the offline story mission was the day the game came out, and it didn't appeal to me either.

Sonic Team simply did not add anything that really keeps my attention besides lobby trolling. But that trolling is only interesting when there is a good community to troll through. PSU doesn't offer that.

Sinue_v2
Jan 30, 2007, 11:20 PM
VulpesMundi? Jesus - I haven't seen that name around here for awhile. Maybe if I would read anything other than Rants, OT, and PSU-G.

Anyhow, PSO has definatly had it's balance issues - and far worse than PSU ever had. PSO v.1's HUmars were walking gods compaired to the other classes. FO's were completely unnecessary due to the fact that they had no unique spells or bonuses over HUmars - only sporting increased TP and MST, which was at least partially nullified by the abundance of Meseta/Fluids. RAngers had little hope of catching up. Two of their three class races were androids - who were incapable of casting techniques. Androids only benefit was increased status effect immunity (another moot bonus thanks to the presence of the all-to-easy-to-find State/Maintinence unit) and the ability to see traps. Oh.. and they could only see certain types of traps... such as the pop-up mines, but unable to detect (any better than Humans/Numans) the cage trap from the Ruins. Androids, at the time, were unable to use traps of their own. Ranger, in general though, only had one real advantage - that being the Spead Needle/Heaven's Punisher guns. Unfortunately - Hunters could use those as well (and use them more efficently as well).

As for the "gradual" increase in difficulty - that wasn't present either. A fully tricked out lvl 100 HUmar going into v.2 ultimate forest would rather quickly find himself on the ass-end of an ass-kicking unless they were lucky enough to get your hands on a v.2 rare... which of course only dropped in Ultimate mode. Even with such a weapon, it was no walk in the park. v.2 rares didn't own v.2 areas.. they simply allowed you to start doing damage again. Rangers didn't have it any better, and FO's once again got the short end of the stick due to increadibly high tech resistances. Whereas with a few levels and v.2 weps, HU's could once again become useful - FO's found themselves nerfed for much much longer.

Ep I & II's leap from V.Hard to Ultimate was the opposite of the above scenario. While it could be somewhat difficult at first - Ultimate mode was originally INTENDED to last from lvl 80 to 200. Now, players of a mere lvl 110 (a lvl which would get your ass handed to you even in v.2 Forest 1) were capable of defeating the final boss. Ep II final boss.. meh.. he was even easier since he had no real undodagble attacks the way Falz did. Sure the progression from v.hard to ultimate was smooth - but once you got to ultimate it was nothing but grind, grind, grind mindlessly through to the end. You're capable of beating the game (without much trouble) at lvl 120 - yet you don't even reach the half-way point level wise until you get to lvl 183. There was absolutely NO endgame scenarios - no challenge.

Not to defend PSU too much - as I definately have my own problems with the game, but it is much better than PSO was when it first started out. PSO benefited from five years of continual updates and tweaking, whereas PSU has only been out a few months. Time will tell if Sega manages to successfully tweak PSU in a similar fashion.

(Note: I'm a fan of the old-school Phantasy Star series.. and honestly I haven't been completely satisfied with either PSO or PSU.)

Parn
Jan 30, 2007, 11:29 PM
http://synbios.net/images/misc/psov2-02.jpg
LOLULTIMATE

VanHalen
Jan 31, 2007, 12:04 AM
On 2007-01-30 18:23, PJ wrote:
It seems like I'm one of the few oldschool PSO (Yeah, I mean version 1) players that love this game to death, and afterwards, can't stand how terrible PSO is in comparison. Blah.

EDIT: Actually, I can tell I really like PSU, when the ANTICIPATION for the game is what killed my enjoyment for PSO. I couldn't pick up the game after early September, and now when I try to play it, it's like sleeping, only without the benefit of not being tired.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2007-01-30 18:30 ]</font>

qft i played version 1 and i played PSU
my final word.....PSU>PSO i played pso with my sister last night and we got bored in the middle of the dark falz fight.

Retehi
Jan 31, 2007, 12:50 AM
I like the game, but theres just not much to do when you log on, and see your guild card list have maybe 1 or 2 people on. One can only take so many pick up parties in Universe 2 (Don't tell me to go to 15, everything is locked there).

I really wanna give the game a chance, I do, it's just not exactly holding my attention though.

Back to nightly rounds of Unreal. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DikkyRay
Jan 31, 2007, 06:30 AM
I have nothing against you, so dont flame me.... i just wanna show you the problem with this

On 2007-01-30 21:50, Retehi wrote:
I like the game, but theres just not much to do when you log on, and see your guild card list [quote]have maybe 1 or 2 people on.
There are so many people on, that idk how you could say that! Just on my first page, there are usually 25+ people on.

One can only take so many pick up parties in Universe 2
Yea this is true...... thats why i play with friends lol.

(Don't tell me to go to 15, everything is locked there).
I wouldnt say everything but i do agree wit you that most games are infact locked

I really wanna give the game a chance, I do, it's just not exactly holding my attention though.
It is a very fun game! I will admit that it isnt like PSO, but then again, it isnt PSO! I once was bored of PSU as well, but then i go some money, and could really see the fun points of this game

Orange_Coconut
Jan 31, 2007, 02:01 PM
I was anticipating this game for the longest time since PSO was the entire reason why I got into the online gaming community and forums such as these. PSO seemed like a lot of fun for me because of the Guild I had and the people I met as well as the item hunting -- I think that's what mainly kills it for me in this game.

I liked the little things about PSO since I didn't really have much experience in the entire gaming scene, I literally love going out to find different items while chatting with friends and figuring out which ID to use for which runs we were going to make and such. But this game is so heavily dependant on finding mats that it takes the luster away from the rare drops for me, personally.

Me and my friend ended up getting some kind of saber that was rare, but we both had to sacrifice materials/time as well as possible money (seeing as how it failed more than once). When the item was finally created, it was worse than what I could equip but I insisted on using it because it was a pain in the ass to have made. It might not be as rare as other things out there on PSU, it was the saber that is supposed to be some kind of light bulb or something.

The lack of MAGs also annoys me somewhat, I actually -like- the idea of creating materials. But I -dislike- how heavily dependant the game is on that sole purpose. Unlike PSO, in PSU the mats I found weren't too well suited for my little robot thing in the stats I wanted it to grow in. Plus the items that did get the job done were incredibly expensive and I just didn't have the money to get them all the time. I just liked how resources for feeding your MAG were more abundant (or maybe I just got unlucky) as well as the evolution system the MAG had, which is kind of what these new things have. It's also cool how they can go along and fight with you, but I liked the stat boosts as well as the massive variety of MAGs you could create.

The thing about having Section IDs was that everybody would get different rares from the same areas that people went to, I liked that idea personally. They needed balance perhaps, but I found it to be a good way to meet new people while item hunting with them. Maybe it's odd that I like to item hunt, but it was mainly that and the Guild Community that I liked the most. I also still like the futuristic setting, the clothes were a cool addition as well... But they were a bit expensive.

I wouldn't say it's a bad game really, it just doesn't appeal to me as much as PSO did. Maybe I was just expecting more out of this game than I should have, which can ruin a lot when expectations get too high.

navci
Jan 31, 2007, 03:21 PM
Ya know.
People asked me how the game was, I can never tell them if I like one over the other better. I kinda like having more options this time around. Class, weapons, techs and such. And I really, really like strafing.

In the end though, I will be bored soloing either game, PSO or PSU. I need a good party. I got one on PSO when I was playing. The party went, so did I. Now I have some good ones on PSU. So until those people quit, I guess I'll stay. Always for the company and really not so much the game for me. :>

Almalexia
Jan 31, 2007, 04:51 PM
What ultimatly hurt us was the long wait for update#1. We have not recovered from that loss of players. If all those players were still present now, PSU's flaws probably would go unoticed.

Nidramag
Jan 31, 2007, 06:21 PM
PSO>PSU
Trypticon is completely right, all he said was true! the game WAS LACKING....not just lacking... It was completely ABSENT of fun. It went from free-play do whatever you want to all being about leveling up, missions and meseta, taking the fun freedom out of it. PSU is *meow*-ing terrible!

Siertes
Jan 31, 2007, 06:28 PM
This is my first online Phantasy Star since ver.1 on the DC and I enjoy PSU much more. The only thing I enjoyed more in PSO was the look of rare weapons. I want my Holy Ray back http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

BigGoldRobot
Feb 5, 2007, 03:02 AM
what Siertes said ^ first online PSO since ver.1, I was stoked for this game wanting to rekindle all my fond DC memories but picked it up late december and my anticipation was soured after playing through story mode. But online has been redeeming I can usually find a fun enough group and havent had any problems with people in the lobbies (I be a troll). Its worth my time and money for now.

akratic
Feb 5, 2007, 06:44 PM
I find that there is a fairly vibrant community and more to do than I have time to do. If I wasn't so picky about with whom I played, I'd probably like it even more than I do.

I spent an embarrassing number of hours on PSO. When I first started playing PSU I was fairly disappointed, too. It was such a dramatic change. I didn't like synthing. I didn't like the difficulty. I didn't like the few options for missions. For whatever reason, I fought through these initial dislikes and now really am having a ton of fun. I constantly find challenges and am often torn about what to do. Should I item hunt? Should I class level focus? Should I level PAs? Should I farm meseta? Should I just screw around?

I do think it helps that I am on the 360 - the economy on the PC/PS2 version is a turn-off to me. Not to say, of course, that someone else couldn't enjoy the PS@/PC version as is or that the xbox is better.

Dre_o
Feb 5, 2007, 10:05 PM
I personally have no problem at all loving PSU. I played Xbox, GC, and BB PSO and I love PSU to death. I guess I'm just lucky I have brothers and PSOW friends who are always around.

Speaking of which, I think I'm gonna get on right now! PREPARE TO STORM THE RAMPARQUES!!!(I know I butchered that spelling mosterously......)

Yuicihi
Feb 5, 2007, 10:09 PM
I wasn't originally going to post...

PSU =/= PSO. Get over it.
They're differnt games, PSU is not an expansion to PSO. Treat it as such. PSU's not perfect, and neither was PSO. You may perfer PSO to PSU, and vice versa.

If you are among the former, have fun with Blue Burst, and shut up about the topic.

KodiaX987
Feb 5, 2007, 11:05 PM
On 2007-02-05 19:09, Yuicihi wrote:
If you are among the former, have fun with Blue Burst, and shut up about the topic.

Welcome to rants. Lurk moar. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Para
Feb 6, 2007, 03:01 PM
There's no doubt that PSU = more multiplayer than single player (soloing). Things goes pretty fast with a good party but even in the end...

I know what Vulpes means by progression... Story mode definitely has that type of progression that Vulpes speaks off... maybe even faster than the progression in PSO. However PSU is more grindy and levels take longer... thus progression much slower... I mean back in the day... if you wanted a stronger tech, buy it lol or find it... which is pretty easy... in PSU you have to level it which takes a fair of time... heck a lot of stuff in PSU does take a lot of time.

In the end... more options etc. trade off for time consumption.