PDA

View Full Version : PSU music

Edman
Jan 31, 2007, 01:44 AM
I'm a little thrown off here. PSO had some good music in it. It was intense.

Psu on the other hand, has lame, boring music that has been set to "mute" by every player I know.

Maybe this is just the xbox version (bruce doesnt have tricktrack), or the US in general, I'm not sure. I only play the 360 version.
A friend of mine pointed out a site that has a lot of JP videos (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.geocities.jp/pusu_jam/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.geocities.jp/pusu_jam/%26num%3D50%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfire fox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DuKT) and I won't lie, they sound a lot better. I wasn't on right away, so I dunno what went on with Halloween, but Japan had some nice music.

I take it we were shafted.

Sephlock
Jan 31, 2007, 01:51 AM
tricktrack?

Although I agree with you about the music in general, I DID kinda like the music for the boss in the Grove of Fanatics.. which is fortunate, since I've been running it a kajillion times and will continue to do so until I get his damn cannon >_<.

Edman
Jan 31, 2007, 01:54 AM
I'm doing the same exact thing. I don't know what that one sounds like, I'll have to unmute at some point at listen.

trick track was the VR space ship music from PSO. I know they have it in Japan, but it is NOT on the 360 here and I'm pretty blown about it.

Gazette
Jan 31, 2007, 02:00 AM
I hear ya, the music just doesn't hit me like PSO's did either.
Most times I just play my own music or even old PSO music in the background through winamp or something.

Genji
Jan 31, 2007, 02:42 AM
On 2007-01-30 23:00, Gazette wrote:
I hear ya, the music just doesn't hit me like PSO's did either.
Most times I just play my own music or even old PSO music in the background through winamp or something.

Yeah that's exactly what I do. I tend to play "A Lush Road" or "A Forest Cage" when doing De Ragan runs.

A2K
Jan 31, 2007, 06:06 AM
I honestly don't understand it in the least; I think the game's soundtrack is excellent. Ever since getting PSU's soundtrack I just haven't bothered to listen to PSO's at all--except for maybe the occasional Tricktrack.

Favorites:
-- SEED -Hive-
-- Ukishima (Forested Islands, et al.)
-- Rozenom Line Milate 04 (Train Rescue)
-- Galenigare Mine
-- All seven boss/miniboss tracks

I'd probably end up listing most of the soundtrack if I let myself go on.

Syl
Jan 31, 2007, 06:11 AM
What they need is the epic vocals back!

I heard the woman who sang for all of the PSO episodes got replaced. And not only that, but PSO had that AMAZING string/wind symphony.

I miss ruins music T_T

Alisha
Jan 31, 2007, 06:28 AM
i think the problem isnt the quality of the music but the loss of pso's dynamic music. i think thats why a lot of players like Ukishima sometimes that music almost feels dynamic.

rena-ko
Jan 31, 2007, 06:33 AM
the good thing about pso (ep1) music was indeed its dynamics. i still sometimes put in the calm versions of caves or forest, because i tie hours of chatting to them.

psu... i muted the music. its just missing the knack, imho.

Magician
Jan 31, 2007, 07:02 AM
PSU's music is definitely not on par with PSO's.

I too mute PSU constantly.

Shaidar
Jan 31, 2007, 07:20 AM
PSU got a handful of good tracks while PSO got loads of good tracks. Thats about it I guess. Especially PSO's opening and ending theme is superior when compared to the PSU counterpart (the singer is not to blame, rather the lyrics) in my opinion. At least Bruce gives us tricktrack back. :3

Maridia
Jan 31, 2007, 07:29 AM
I agree with Rena. While I do indeed like the PSU soundtrack, it LACKS KNACK.

PSO's music was so mood heavy. I loved the calm versions of the musics. But PSU's soundtrack is so in your face action. Which is okay, it's not PSO. But.. yeah. I keep finding myself longing for PSO's nostalgic feel, yet I don't want to play PSO at all. I freed myself from that stranglehold long ago.

Fran
Jan 31, 2007, 08:15 AM
I always keep it on except for Parum...

Almalexia
Jan 31, 2007, 08:27 AM
I have been looking for the Jungle music track for a long time now.

I like all of PSU's music except Raffon Meadow/Plains Overlord.

GreenArcher
Jan 31, 2007, 08:29 AM
I think what's so good about PSO's music is that.....well it reminds us of PSO. And we all love PSO

While PSU....I find PSU to be so much more of a chore than anything.

omegapirate2k
Jan 31, 2007, 08:32 AM
I actually really like that one miniboss song (the one that plays when you fight the vol brothers on story mode, among other minibosses). But PSO had a sweet soundtrack, PSO episode 3 had a soundtrack even better than that, atleast thats what I think.

Parn
Jan 31, 2007, 08:33 AM
Man, I remember all the complaining about how PSO's music sucked and how it should be more upbeat. Sonic Team ships out PSU with upbeat music and now everyone wants ambient stuff again. Heehee.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing!

Shiro_Ryuu
Jan 31, 2007, 08:35 AM
man, am I one of the few people who actually likes the upbeat PSU music? although I do admit that when the songs do get old, I put the music volume to mute and play some heavy metal on my itunes.

omegapirate2k
Jan 31, 2007, 08:35 AM
On 2007-01-31 05:33, Parn wrote:
Man, I remember all the complaining about how PSO's music sucked and how it should be more upbeat. Sonic Team ships out PSU with upbeat music and now everyone wants ambient stuff again. Heehee.

It'd be nice to have a variety of both, that's what I'm going to stick with.

Parn
Jan 31, 2007, 08:38 AM
I like PSU's soundtrack. I also like PSO's as well. They both fit their respective game's atmosphere and environments. PSO's ambient style would be out of place in PSU, since PSU takes a more "adventure" styled approach to its presentation, and contrary-wise, PSU's music would have been out of place in PSO, since PSO's approach was the whole element of "mystery".

Sekani
Jan 31, 2007, 09:07 AM
On 2007-01-31 05:33, Parn wrote:

Seriously.

Track-for-track, PSO and PSU's soundtracks are pretty even to me. Some are good, some are not-so-good, and some plain suck.

The one area where I'll agree that PSU fails musically is in the boss themes. They really lack that epic feel that PSO's themes had. Remember "From seeing the rough wave" (De Rol Le)? "Cry for IDOLA the holy"? (Dark Falz 2)? "IDOLA have the immortal feather" (Olga Flow 1)? Nothing PSU has comes close, and for the most part is even forgettable.

Weeaboolits
Jan 31, 2007, 09:11 AM
I really like the music in both games, PSU's area music is jammin', but the tracks of PSO are just... I mean you just can't compare with From Seeing The Rough Wave (De Rol Le), Frenzy Wilds (Gal Gryphon), or Cry For IDOLA The Holy (Dark Falz, final form).

bob02
Jan 31, 2007, 09:14 AM
Winamp > PSU music

A2K
Jan 31, 2007, 09:16 AM
I'd have to disagree with both of you on that. I find "Fly Up Ivy" (Onmagoug, Dimmagolus) to be on par with "The frenzy wilds", if not higher (which I found better to be "From seeing the rough wave"). And both Dulk Fakis tracks are all sorts of epic.

Parn
Jan 31, 2007, 09:28 AM
"The Last Story", the song that played during the Ethan versus Magashi duel is all sorts of epic. I'm hoping they have it set aside for some special boss in the online mode, because the majority of the song isn't even heard in offline mode.

Knight_of_MIA
Jan 31, 2007, 09:47 AM
I never mute the music. Though the quality of PSUīs Soundtracks could be much better, itīs even better to suffer while listening to this stuff than muting oder switching to another music.

Lesson 1:
Watch a movie, mute - and learn.

The Result: It makes enjoyment worse than it should be.

Lesson 2:
Mute the original game music, play another music (regardless kind of music).

The Result: Enjoyment at itīs worst http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Knight_of_MIA on 2007-01-31 06:48 ]</font>

Sekani
Jan 31, 2007, 09:55 AM
Holy shit, I had forgotten about "The Last Story". It's a crying shame that the full track isn't used anywhere in the game.

jizaboz
Jan 31, 2007, 09:57 AM
I think the music is aight. If it gets too repeatative... there's always Devo.

During the "holiday season" however I make my way through the lobbies as soon as possible... that techno jingle bell crap is the worst.

Para
Jan 31, 2007, 10:08 AM
Ukishima is an awesome track for PSU and goes well with my standards.

Growl, from the wild sky is also a nice homage to PSO music lovers. I like it for its drums and strong beat.

Fly By Ivy is ok I guess but its just not as intense as The Frenzy Wilds... and the battle isn't as intense... (God I hope Episode II will release some more interesting bosses)

EspioKaos
Jan 31, 2007, 11:33 AM
It really disappoints me to see so many people who just mute PSU's music. But, to each their own, right? I, for one, am a big fan of this game's soundtrack and love every bit of it. (Yes, even "Save This World.")

Destruct05
Jan 31, 2007, 04:09 PM
i hate PSUs music, so i listen to the badass music on my iPod Nano instead, much of it being techno and video game music (well...music from games other than PSU...)

Edman
Jan 31, 2007, 04:33 PM
See my main problem with this game's music is how it never changes. In PSO, it was calm and all, but when monsters spawned it stepped up a notch.

And on the 360, we didn't get tricktrack. And like I said, I really don't know if its the US or just the 360 that has totally different music than some of the videos from my first post. But the Relics in Japan have some damn powerful music compared to what I'm hearing.

pokefiend
Jan 31, 2007, 04:38 PM
On 2007-01-31 08:33, EspioKaos wrote:
It really disappoints me to see so many people who just mute PSU's music. But, to each their own, right? I, for one, am a big fan of this game's soundtrack and love every bit of it. (Yes, even "Save This World.")

Indeed. I love PSUs music just as much as PSOs music. I also love (and I MEAN LOVE) the intro music "Save This World". It may not be as great as PSOs ending music (it's intro sounds alittle off beat, I won't lie), but it's still extremely catchy and goes very well with the sci-fi story.

Another song I love from PSU is its room theme. It can get repetitive however it still has a cool meledy.

Ogni-XR21
Jan 31, 2007, 04:45 PM
The opening song would be ok if they left out the lyrics. These damn lyrics ruin the whole song for me. Even when I just hear the opening tune where it says "press start" I get "who said we are lost again in this lohonely wooorld" running in my head. Absolutely horrible, and I'm not even a native speaker...

LordJoe
Jan 31, 2007, 04:52 PM
PSU ost mainly has FAST music. in pso it was almost all slow so it made you feel alone in the game so to speak. PSU hase more of an upbeat team feel to it. also they changed how the used the music in pso. in psu, when you go to a new block the music is the exact same song that played in the last so you dont get the feeling of progression throughout the mission. also visuals GREATLY compliment the music in the game. and in psu (unlike pso) when you get to a new block the visuals also stay the same just a different map or room. ( forest1 it was a bright spring day then forest 2 was a gloomy somwhat hasty rainy day.

The music in PSU is far from bad just different from what we were used to from pso.

PSU feels to me more of an animated game than PSO. PSO seemed more serious to me and had a more well (less anime feel to it lol).

PSU was made to feel a great sommunity. (different planets bigger parties lots of clothes to chose from and mini lobbies like the hot springs and capmfire in a cave.

PSU wasnt revolutionary either. PSO was
i dont think that you can say PSU has a bad ost i think it is great. i think they are both great. (my favorite song is still World With ME) but For Brighter Day and With you and other wordless songs are also great addithions to my collection of PS favorites.

If you want to hear great SEGA music try:

Sonic adventure 2
Burning Rangers <------favorite
Nights into dreams <---only 1 song
Sonic R
Space Channel 5
ang group collections like sonicteam unplugged and piano noctune

The music in the game ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Akaimizu
Jan 31, 2007, 04:54 PM
Heck. I still absolutely love the Christmas version of the "Nights into Dreams" song. (The same version that's in Samba De Amigo).

Sonic R music simply makes me happy. Definitely music to put a smile into my face.

"Livin' in the city. You know you have to survive!! You've got to keep the dream alive! Where everything is free, can't you see!!!" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

A2K
Jan 31, 2007, 04:55 PM
On 2007-01-31 13:33, Edman wrote:
And like I said, I really don't know if its the US or just the 360 that has totally different music than some of the videos from my first post. But the Relics in Japan have some damn powerful music compared to what I'm hearing.

Er, what? Which videos specifically? The game's music is identical in whatever region, although we didn't get a Halloween or autumn leaves lobby event.

PJ
Jan 31, 2007, 05:08 PM
One thing Sonic Team games always ALWAYS seem to have is awesome music. PSU is no exception.

Episode 2 and Episode 4 had awesome music, but PSU's is just... wow. The HIVE beats out any stage music on PSO, flat out.

Edman
Feb 1, 2007, 12:53 AM
On 2007-01-31 13:55, A2K wrote:

Er, what? Which videos specifically? The game's music is identical in whatever region, although we didn't get a Halloween or autumn leaves lobby event.

You know, Its been months since I played the relics without muting the music, so I really didn't remember it sounding like that. Apparently its the same, so thats good news.

But the regular parum music sounds different. In the photon arts videos, it really seems like the drum track is a lot louder. I could barely even hear it with my music maxed and my TV way up.

pineapple
Feb 1, 2007, 01:08 AM
On 2007-01-31 13:45, Ogni-XR21 wrote:
The opening song would be ok if they left out the lyrics. These damn lyrics ruin the whole song for me. Even when I just hear the opening tune where it says "press start" I get "who said we are lost again in this lohonely wooorld" running in my head. Absolutely horrible, and I'm not even a native speaker...

For some reason I feel the opposite way entirely. I have no idea why and I know it is a shitty song, but I love it. "I say we can start again. We're on the same ship, it's called starship eaaaaaaarth!"

Oh, yeah. Them's my jamz.

I'm on 360, so I just play my own music though I try to play stuff that fits with the game somewhat. My playlist includes the faint, autolux, daft punk, some of the harder DDR songs, and some other random stuff.

Sekani
Feb 1, 2007, 01:28 AM
"Save This World" is catchy and it's got a nice beat, that's why we love it. So what if the lyrics are a joke. The orchestral version is just as good, if not better.

Can you feel the sunshine, does it brighten up your d-- dammit Akaimizu!!

PrinceRhys
Feb 1, 2007, 12:46 PM
I don't know. I think both PSO and PSU have their good and bad songs. I like and dislike songs on both, but I'll listen through them. (Some highlights: PSO Forrest, Gal Griffon, Dark Falz final form, PSU Forrested Islands, Vol Bros story mode) On second thought, I think I like the area music in PSU better then some of the area songs in PSO. I mean, I couldn't stand caves in PSO. Bosses could use work though, and lobbies aren't terrible but aren't the best either.

One thing that many may not agree with me on is the intro music on both. PSO's music was nice. Note I said music. I don't think either singer can sing very well.

A2K
Feb 1, 2007, 12:52 PM
On 2007-01-31 21:53, Edman wrote:
You know, Its been months since I played the relics without muting the music, so I really didn't remember it sounding like that. Apparently its the same, so thats good news.

But the regular parum music sounds different. In the photon arts videos, it really seems like the drum track is a lot louder. I could barely even hear it with my music maxed and my TV way up.

I'm on 360 too, and actually, I noticed that. The music seems really quiet for some reason. Maybe it's a result of the tweaking for 5.1 sound--standard audio is quieter as a result? Not sure what to recommend. I usually have the speakers up a bit higher unless I'm actively voice chatting.

Para
Feb 1, 2007, 01:03 PM
On 2007-01-31 14:08, PJ wrote:
One thing Sonic Team games always ALWAYS seem to have is awesome music. PSU is no exception.

Episode 2 and Episode 4 had awesome music, but PSU's is just... wow. The HIVE beats out any stage music on PSO, flat out.

Really? HIVE music is like bleh to me... its sorta ok in some sense with the omg im in an evil place suspense and action but after awhile it gets dry...

Revolution to the Origin is a lot better imo.

AweOfShe
Feb 1, 2007, 01:15 PM
On 2007-01-31 05:38, Parn wrote:
I like PSU's soundtrack. I also like PSO's as well. They both fit their respective game's atmosphere and environments. PSO's ambient style would be out of place in PSU, since PSU takes a more "adventure" styled approach to its presentation, and contrary-wise, PSU's music would have been out of place in PSO, since PSO's approach was the whole element of "mystery".

This, I agree with whole-heartedly.

And with that said, I love PSU's music. Especially Agata Relics. <3

ShinMaruku
Feb 1, 2007, 01:19 PM
I'm man enough to say that PSO and PSU's music is shit. Now, swapping that shit for O Fortuna and them other music is good.