PDA

View Full Version : pso or psu ? which is better?

MookMetal
Jan 31, 2007, 05:00 PM
for some reason psu just didnt grab me to the online play as pso did ... what do you think??

akratic
Jan 31, 2007, 05:01 PM
cheese

Rika-san
Jan 31, 2007, 05:05 PM
there are some things i like from pso that is better, and there are somethings about psu that are better. can't decide.

PJ
Jan 31, 2007, 05:11 PM
PSU.

EDIT: Need a reason? PSO is slow. Mags make it easy. Ridiculous rates are, well, ridiculous.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2007-01-31 14:12 ]</font>

pokefiend
Jan 31, 2007, 05:15 PM
I did enjoy PSO more than I do PSU, however PSU is undeniably the superior game. It has many things PSO did not have.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pokefiend on 2007-01-31 14:16 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Jan 31, 2007, 05:19 PM
PSU has its share of bugs, it's share of unforgettable music, lackluster mob AI, horrible character balancing, and other little things, but it still is better than PSO because it has Karen.

PSU Karen > PSO Rico
PSU Karen = PSO Elly PErson

Do not contest this. You will be lynched by Karen's harem.

NosajX7
Jan 31, 2007, 05:29 PM
Noone in PSU has the knack. Therefore, PSO is infinitely better.

Aaron777
Jan 31, 2007, 05:33 PM
lol nice post Nosaj...

Sephlock
Jan 31, 2007, 05:38 PM
Elly person?

What knack? That sounds vaguely familiar...

Anyway I liked the story in PSO a bit more than this one. Magashi is also a poor substitute for Kireek.

CrabRangoon
Jan 31, 2007, 05:58 PM
Never did any Story/Extra Mode, so I have no idea about the PSU characters. PSO I was absolutely in love with, PSU I'd say I'm more addicted, than in love. When it comes down to it, I have a lot more fondness towards PSO than PSU, and the only reason I play PSU > PSO is because I cant pay the same price per month while playing less of a game, with a smaller legit player base.
I remember trying PSO on X-BOX in 05, and thinking "Wow, these people take the merit of gameplay out of this game. I wish I was still playing on DC, goodbye XBOX." and I revoked my HL after 2 months. I couldn't believe how terrible the XBOX version was, and when venturing to the Legit Ship/Block, I was turned away because people wouldn't play with me or have public parties, so I was very turned off, as I had no intention of soloing the whole game, or playing with hackers and annoying voiced kids.
I play on 360, so I am gleeful to not be around the crazy economy or hacked weapon environment which is PS2/PC. Say all you want that it's avoidable, and that I'm a 360-fanboy (which I'm not, other than the PSU disc, I dont own a single thing, nor have I ever spent a single CENT on anything 360 related), and I am down with "console supremacy" (only true if I'm talking about DC > * XD). However, I simply probably wouldn't be able to stand playing on those servers, with all that illegitimacy. I quit playing PSO once most of my legit friends dropped out, too, back in the DC days, but this game is currently fulfilling my hunger for PSO, since there is nothing major going on in the 360 cheating front.
I miss all the music, stages, weapons, items, and characters of PSO. I especially miss real bosses, and real boss fights, rather than these extra-large-minibosses that are in PSU (all PSO bosses > PSU bosses), and more than anything, I really miss Ruins (though Hive is a near replacement for that =D). But, the gameplay schematics, button layouts, menu's, and some features (namely player shops and synthing) make this game the best between the two.
There is a lot more versatility in playing style, given the variety of different weapons and types/classes. This game will, sooner or later, evolve into something great, but only the people who are willing to wait out lengthy/slow updates, and new content will really be able to appreciate it.
FWIW, to my local friends that DID play PSO, not a single one of them plays PSU, or wants to, mostly due to increased cost over DC PSO v2, but also because they said the game doesnt really grab them the same way PSO did, so they just dont care (even though they understand my addiction to this).
-end overly long post-

Ryo_Hayasa
Jan 31, 2007, 06:03 PM
Well i enjoyed both PSO and PSU alot, quite abit. I'm not sure. the thing is i've had 5 years to enjoy PSO, 6 almost. PSU has had, not even 6 months. Hah (remind that next month was suppose to be launch date for the JP release of PSU?) anyway giving a few years, or maybe a few months, PSU will be just as good as PSO. Just give it time.

McLaughlin
Jan 31, 2007, 06:10 PM
PSOX was fine. I never had a problem (even though half of Davburite 10 was hacked) finding parties, or people to play with.

NosajX7
Jan 31, 2007, 06:14 PM
I really hope they start releasing rares with crazy things that happen. maybe some weapons that do something completely different than weapons of the same type (kinda like how the Spread Needle was technically a rifle, though it acted like a short ranged shotgun). Also, I want some non-photon weapons, like a frying pan.

VanHalen
Jan 31, 2007, 06:24 PM
PSU is better i cant get through a level in PSO anymore without getting bored or thinking why cant i turn around and hit the guy on the side of me. plus i mean photon art!!!! dont get me wrong PSO WAS a great game but PSU is better to me.

Callous
Jan 31, 2007, 06:38 PM
On 2007-01-31 14:58, CrabRangoon wrote:I have a lot more fondness towards PSO than PSU, and the only reason I play PSU > PSO is because I cant pay the same price per month while playing less of a game, with a smaller legit player base.

I miss all the music, stages, weapons, items, and characters of PSO. I especially miss real bosses, and real boss fights, rather than these extra-large-minibosses that are in PSU (all PSO bosses > PSU bosses), and more than anything, I really miss Ruins

So true. And PSO music was just so much better. I cannot believe how detrimental to my involvement in PSU the supermarket music is. On top of that, it isn't dynamic like it was in PSO, something I loved.

And these are just a few of the reasons why PSO to me is an eternal gem, while PSU is just a game I'll play for a while.

CrabRangoon
Jan 31, 2007, 07:01 PM
Great solution to the PSO Music > PSU Music problem (for 360'rs):

Download + Burn / Purchase or own PSO soundtracks
Rip to your 360
Choose to play tracks on the 360 while jamming PSU
Problem solved XD

Another great gripe in the war between the two games: PSU just has one attack button. One.
"You know what really grinds my gears, America?" Onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne fucking attack. I'm all over multiple attacks. But the battle schematics of PSU could be minimally tweaked to truly rock the world.
Necessary: Attack 1, Attack 2, Attack 3 (like PSO, duh). Fill in each slot with your choice. This would, essentially, just be much easier and smoother to play though if you had this feature added to the pallet. This way, you could have Attack + PA1 + PA2 / Attack + Hard Attack + PA / Attack + H. Attack + Very Hard Attack / Neutral Bullet + X Bullet + Y Bullet [obviously you'd be omitting wands/rods, as they rightfully have 2 or 4 Techs to address to each, respectively]. Just this feature, NOTHING ELSE, is what I drastically wish to be changed about this game.
Fuck hair, clothes, and more S-Rank weapons. Just let me attack things the way it should be.

P.S. Said schematic would not make Rangers broken, at all. Whats the harm in linking 2 or 3 elements to 1 gun, rather than just carrying multiple guns? Each shot uses the PP anyway, so it's not giving the play more longevity, and even if people dont have a rainbow pallet of attacks, they damn sure probably carry multiple guns to swap into the pallet containing different elements, if not just changing the linked art as needed.

Jonty
Jan 31, 2007, 07:54 PM
Someone (sorry, I can't remember who!) put it perfectly for me on the last page. PSU i am addicted to... PSO I was in love with. It just had so much more character, in every respect. Music, style, and definitely the superior (IMO) battle system and class system. Not bashing PSU mind, I've already racked up around 350 hours on it but... I just don't think it's anywhere near the pedigree of PSO.

ShinMaruku
Jan 31, 2007, 08:08 PM
On 2007-01-31 15:38, Callous wrote:

On 2007-01-31 14:58, CrabRangoon wrote:I have a lot more fondness towards PSO than PSU, and the only reason I play PSU > PSO is because I cant pay the same price per month while playing less of a game, with a smaller legit player base.

I miss all the music, stages, weapons, items, and characters of PSO. I especially miss real bosses, and real boss fights, rather than these extra-large-minibosses that are in PSU (all PSO bosses > PSU bosses), and more than anything, I really miss Ruins

So true. And PSO music was just so much better. I cannot believe how detrimental to my involvement in PSU the supermarket music is. On top of that, it isn't dynamic like it was in PSO, something I loved.

And these are just a few of the reasons why PSO to me is an eternal gem, while PSU is just a game I'll play for a while.

I must be in the minority when I say PSU and PSO got shit for music. Thus with PSO I jacked the files and made truly custom soundtracks.

vfloresjr24
Jan 31, 2007, 08:13 PM
Hahaha i broke the tie breaker. I really like PSU now that its out. PSO was the best but it was just same thing over and over again. This one is different.

Destruct05
Jan 31, 2007, 10:21 PM
i only got to play PSO like one or two times at a friends house, but so far im starting to think that PSU is much better than PSO, though i have found a strong dislike for PSUs music. come to think of it...i think i might try to find a free download for PSOs music next time i have the chance...

Lyrix
Jan 31, 2007, 10:40 PM
PSU is better in my opinion. I tried playing PSO again and i had forgotten how slow it moved >.<

Ibuka
Jan 31, 2007, 10:58 PM
I like PSU alot better then PSO.... I remember i use to could not get enough of PSO V1. V2. PSO GC. PSO Ep3 etc
But when i played PSU i was like wow.. This is not PSO.. But as i got into and played Story Mode/Extra and went Online with the game i thought this was so much better then PSO just lack of content... The combat system is better Alot better to me.. Forces seem harder to play on PSU then PSO but still not bad. Rangers are alot better even though i do miss my RAmarl... Able to take out and clear stages faster then HU could on PSO... But lately i cannot PSO anymore.. I tried playing online with my friends and GF but i just couldn't get into and more... I had to do Ep2 and fight Ogla cause i was so sick of seeing Forest. Caves. Mines. and Ruins again O_O.... I have a lv190 HUmar. lv185 RAmarl. lv170 HUnewearl. lv157 HUcaseal. lv141 FOmarl. lv130 FOnewearl. and lv100 RAcaseal. All that work and yet i can't play PSO anymore... Online or Off.. PSU I have a lv60 F Newmen FT. lv50 F Human GT. lv45 F Cast FG. and lv 30 F Beast WT... And still not tired of PSU yet..

I guess i just like PSU alot more then PSO...

VanHalen
Jan 31, 2007, 11:07 PM
one thing i like the best about PSU and what had me rush to buy it is the race flexibilty. you class, race, gender, and clothes are not all rolled together in one character rather you can have any race and do what you want. When i saw that i couldnt have a newman male hunter in PSO i was kind of upset then when i saw you can do whatever the hell you want in PSU i finally got my dream character.

pineapple
Jan 31, 2007, 11:39 PM
On 2007-01-31 16:01, CrabRangoon wrote:
Another great gripe in the war between the two games: PSU just has one attack button. One.
"You know what really grinds my gears, America?" Onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne fucking attack. I'm all over multiple attacks. But the battle schematics of PSU could be minimally tweaked to truly rock the world.
Necessary: Attack 1, Attack 2, Attack 3 (like PSO, duh). Fill in each slot with your choice. This would, essentially, just be much easier and smoother to play though if you had this feature added to the pallet. This way, you could have Attack + PA1 + PA2 / Attack + Hard Attack + PA / Attack + H. Attack + Very Hard Attack / Neutral Bullet + X Bullet + Y Bullet [obviously you'd be omitting wands/rods, as they rightfully have 2 or 4 Techs to address to each, respectively]. Just this feature, NOTHING ELSE, is what I drastically wish to be changed about this game.
Fuck hair, clothes, and more S-Rank weapons. Just let me attack things the way it should be.

P.S. Said schematic would not make Rangers broken, at all. Whats the harm in linking 2 or 3 elements to 1 gun, rather than just carrying multiple guns? Each shot uses the PP anyway, so it's not giving the play more longevity, and even if people dont have a rainbow pallet of attacks, they damn sure probably carry multiple guns to swap into the pallet containing different elements, if not just changing the linked art as needed.

Agreed. The old style is kind of limited looking back on it, but the two could be combined in some way to make it work a lot better.

Major problems with PSU: Level progression, heavy synthesis emphasis/new grinding, odd control system

I can live with all of these, but it is going to be damn hard to get an S rank +10 without introducing some alternative grinding method. SS grinders anyone?

To answer the question, PSU is probably a better game, but it could have been a lot more of an upgrade than it is. Overall, most of the changes were positive though.

Sekani
Jan 31, 2007, 11:42 PM
nostalgia > PSU

mananas
Feb 1, 2007, 12:09 AM
What Sekani said!

Krans
Feb 1, 2007, 12:19 AM
PSU vs. PSO:
+PSU: Photon Arts, WAY MORE maps and more versatility by being able to travel through planets. Synthing Items, PLAYER SHOPS, added specials (nanoblast/SUV), expert classes.
+PSO: Mags, WEAPONS ACTUALLY LOOKED DIFFERENT, rare weaps dropped, telepipes.

Overall: PSO was one of my all time favorite games and i put over 800 hrs into my main char, with that said PSU is a more developed game in my opinion and the increased planets/maps gives it more replay value. Photon arts are awesome, cant even imagine a game without them, still prefer mags over partner machiens but they are growing on me, player shops is a huge feature, i hate how weaps don't vary much (ie. double saber, bone dance, and night walker look same) Overall though PSU gets the nod for me

VanHalen
Feb 1, 2007, 12:26 AM
On 2007-01-31 21:19, Krans wrote:
PSU vs. PSO:
+PSU: Photon Arts, WAY MORE maps and more versatility by being able to travel through planets. Synthing Items, PLAYER SHOPS, added specials (nanoblast/SUV), expert classes.

Overall: PSO was one of my all time favorite games and i put over 800 hrs into my main char, with that said PSU is a more developed game in my opinion and the increased planets/maps gives it more replay value. Photon arts are awesome, cant even imagine a game without them, still prefer mags over partner machiens but they are growing on me, player shops is a huge feature, i hate how weaps don't vary much (ie. double saber, bone dance, and night walker look same) Overall though PSU gets the nod for me

i agree with you on the whole doublesaber not looking different but... there wasnt much difference between a saber,brand,buster,and pallasch in PSO or the other basic weapons.

PSU has 3 companies that make their basic weapons look and play different

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-01-31 21:53 ]</font>

PsyGuy
Feb 1, 2007, 03:17 AM
It is undeniable that almost EVERYTHING has been improved over Pso but a heres a few things i have noticed i miss.

1. The "Monsters". Ie, apart from the stock soldier types on all the levels in Pso the fights seemed a tad more tactical. take mines as an example, you had the flying enemies so you needed a ballistic weapon to bring them down, you needed a crowd control weapon for the soldiers that just piled you then you had the lethal Sinows that would leap on you from nowhere requiring a powerful concentrated type weapon. Then there was those missile tanks that just unleashed volleys of missiles! also those fakie zombie type soldiers that you had to destroy the control beacon, those things were genius! i found myself switching weapons frequently to deal with different situations. Yes it can be argued that to a degree this is implemented in Psu, yes u still need a ballistic weapon occasionally (TOO much for bosses IMO) but on the whole i find just choosing your favourite weapon and spamming PA's till said enemy/enemies are dead is far far easier.

2. This leads to my second point, "themeing". When you were in the mines or the ruins etc, you knew you were in the there, all the monsters had really consistant designs that suited there enviroments it was like ok im fighting Mechs or im fighting dark etc, now EVERYTHING is seed infected and palette swapped. Every planet has cows, and annoying little lizard things, and small annoying pannon type enemies (and dont even get me started on npcs remarking how cute things are before they murder them!) yes i know i know before the flames start that there were palette swaps in PSO but were talking about 3 entirely different planets now with far far far too many simularities when it comes to monsters. out of the three planets and the hive there arent many enemies that you cant find a palette swap of somewhere.

3. Mechs. i really really miss fighting robots! i hate those new big stupid spider/crab type things that blow up that are cloned on all three planets and the rip off mech bees. The fighting npc casts are kinda cool i definatley approve of them i just wish the levels had more big robots coming to kill me! and not just grinne robots and adeghana bosses. Hopefully some big robots will show up at some point.

4. Clothes. Yes yes the customization is very cool but the majority of clothes look far to casual i feel like im either going to a mall or a fashion shoot than going to fight for my life on some god forsaken planet. hopefully the human type players will get some cool armour type clothes at some point but as of now were stuck with sneakers, lame baggy pants and itsy bitsy tank tops.

5. MAGS!!! oh my god i miss those little sods! firstly for stats. do you know how much a lvl 200 power mag would have helped my flagging Numan wartecher! they let you balance out your stats and alter them in the way you chose. Now its pick a race/class and deal with the flaws with nothing to be done about it. secondly, you could have multiple mags, one for power one for accuracy etc, you werent restricted to permenatley lock one pm to one character which was also fun if you enjoyed raising the little buggers. thirdly, the feeding in battle punctuated the combat with brief little breaks, in some ways annoying but still i was doing more than mindlessly spamming when i went on a mission. Fashion, yes im aware i critcised fashion earlier but it was always interesting to see everyones different Mags, and the special ones were damn cool. This whole leader can only bring their Pm into battle so only one person can use or train their pm at a time. only 1 in 5 people is enjoying raising there pm per mission which is then screwed up even more because if you dont have the highest luck your not training your Pm today. Finally for a purely sexist point, every pm is a lollibot, way to go Sega with equality. Magashi seems to have the only Mag left in existance the SOB.

6 Ragol was one damn scary planet, what with Rico's creepy messages, hundreds of people disapperaing etc and sea bed sheesh! Now even in the middle of the bloody hive theres someone selling me medicine!

7. Slicers, Slicers, Slicers and Slicers! why sega dropped a cool orignal weapon that has been a mainstay of the series since the 80's is beyond me. Alys would be turning in her grave! and dont pull that card crap on me.

8. What actually links this to the original series anyway? Motavians gone, Musk cats gone, Dezolians gone, Espers gone. Palmans have been renamed humans, Numans whom were originally fast, claw weilding characters with low level support magic abilities are now relegated into the mage class, Numans have become the new Espers it seems, with Beasts replacing their feline heritage. Even Dark Falz the prevalent theme that links all the games has been renamed.

Phew thats it im done, dont get me wrong there are MANY MANY MANY things that have far exceeded Pso and hopefully with future updates some of these things might be fixed.

Roll on the flames...

Oh and a final thing that i just remembered, magic with no lock on is a pain in the @$$ and it is far far far too slow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PsyGuy on 2007-02-01 00:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PsyGuy on 2007-02-01 00:24 ]</font>

Sychosis
Feb 1, 2007, 10:52 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree PsyGuy. No flames though, or at least a minimum.

1. I find it hard to see any more tactical ability being required in PSO. For a physical damage dealer, you needed a gun, and maybe a sword if you want to show off. And once you get up into the higher tier weapons there were few occasions you couldn't spam your way out. Once my RAmarl got a HP it was all over, I spammed the special until things died (when beats allowed). There were no tactics involved in PSO. And PSO Rangers were unbalanced plain and simple. Tactics are not required in PSO or PSU outside of challenge mode.

2. I don't see any more "themeing" in PSO than in PSU. The robot central areas have robots, outside of that, PSO or PSU, you see palette swaps and uninspiring enemies all over the place. How many types of Boomas are there?

3. And exactly where are all these "big" robots in PSO? There are what? 2? 3 if you want to really stretch the term "big."

4. I agree the clothing isn't exactly "fight for your life" style, but you have to remember, in PSU we're coming off a 100 year peace time. Unlike PSO where hunters were sent, expecting hostility. And it's far improved over "You're a HUnewearl? That means you're a space whore, wear this. And you? RAcaseal? I think you mean ROBOmaid."

5. Thats ridiculous. Have you even noticed your stats are quite a bit higher naturally? If you wanted to "add" MAGs, you'd need to tone down the stats. As far as their looks, I'm sorry, but did anyone here NOT have an angel wings, devil wings, or chao? Sure they "broke" up combat but after your point about PSO fighting being more tactical...that sounds contradictive to want to break it up...

6. One point where we agree! Hooray!

7. The slicers of old PS games were great. Slicers in there PSO forms were terrible. Just terrible. Stats, animation, looks. Everything. Terrible.

8. You DO realize that entire list applies to PSO as well, right?

Merumeru
Feb 1, 2007, 11:06 AM
PSU XD for sheer customization options and a battle system that edges over PSO's by a bit :3

AweOfShe
Feb 1, 2007, 11:16 AM
As much as I absolutely loved PSO and love nostalgia, I'm going to have to go with PSU. Once I got the hang of the controls, yeah, I couldn't go back. :P

All PSU needs is a fire-fighting mission, with Burning Hearts playing in the background. Seriously. :D

AeraLure
Feb 1, 2007, 11:38 AM
Most things I prefer are in PSO.

PSO was more hunt oriented and it was exciting to find things, since if you avoided trading with obvious dupers/hackers and/or played in your own play circle you trusted, hunting was the only way to get anything decent and it was exciting and kept me playing. PSU requires more economic play and synthing of items you find or buy into the items you'd otherwise have hunted in PSO. Not bad and that si fun too, however, its not as much fun to farm crafting materials and find boards or buy these things and its made worse by infinite meseta breaking that aspect of the game. I was enjoying PSU for its synth and farm and economic system for the short time there was no meseta and item duping, but now I find it much less fun in its current environment than PSO. They were almost equal when neither game had cheating in them, but even then I had more fun in PSO.

Combat system in PSO I found to be a bit more varied. By this I mean the Light, Medium, Heavy/Special attacks and combinations. This is especially true for Hunters where I find myself in PSU hitting the same button over and over and nodding off since it took little thought or had little variation. Conversely, the aspect brought into PSU in terms of elements and levelling arts is very nice. I also like the weapon switching for FO's as it gave a bit of decision-making necessity and activity you had to do during play, but you had a similar cpability with Quick Select action pallette for access to FO techniques in PSO that worked well for me too. About even here, but a slight edge for me to PSO due to Hunter play.

PSO had larger more interesting levels, with more varied room design and environments. I'm not sure why PSU doesnt have this, but while the resolution can be higher on PSU, there isnt much outside of character models I'm as interested in looking at as the environments and the rooms in PSO. Waterfall room in Caves, lava rooms in Caves, the little hidden nook and cranny in the Shino room in Ruins, the Great room in Ruins, the little streams and lighting effects in Forest. On and on. PSU is a little uninteresting in the department and since going over a level a million times is an aspect of both games, PSU really suffers here.

Character models and customization in PSU is awesome and obviously a boon over PSO. As is the use of character rooms and custmization there, character shops, an economy (when it worked). These are all great. The larger cities are also very nice, though would have been better if they were a bit more interactive or full more often, it hardly matters, they are an improvement too. I like the mission progression paths and the planets with different environs, but the above environment and level design issues would have made it golden, so this is only partially implemented in my opinion and suffers due to somewhat poor level design and implementation, variation, lighting. Nonetheless, PSU shines on most of these things.

The online/offline mode thing was a bit of a bust to me for PSU. The concept was great. Story mode should have been more challenging or done away with altogether, with more NPC-interactive things put into the online game. Gone from PSU is all the character brought to the game from all the NPC quests. We also dont (yet) have Endless Nightmare variants (or equivalents) and a host of cool online quests that SEGA was so good at making fun and interesting. PSU is a tad bland online save what you bring to it on your own.

Enemy designs were more interesting to me in PSO. This I will admit as subjective. However, on many PSU levels there just arent enough variations of enemies when you go through a level as you had in most PSO levels. Rare monsters and the excitement of finding one is pretty much gone from PSU too. We get the rappy variants with the rare bosses that drop different things, but I personally think it'd have ben a bit more fun to have a few PSU rare normal enemies too so on a run you have a chance of seeing something odd.

Sounds. Why do doors and enemy deaths have sounds that sound like they came from 10 years ago? The PSU soundtrack also isnt as good.

All that said, PSO isnt perfect either. The things PSU shines in (above) are many of the things PSO suffered in.

Overall to me they both have strengths and weaknesses. I prefer PSO hands down. If they fixed the cheating I might come back, but PSU was supposed to be the fix in and of itself for those kinds of problems in PSO, setting aside any comparisons. Had it simply accomplished that many more would still be playing.

Jonty
Feb 1, 2007, 12:17 PM
On 2007-02-01 08:38, AeraLure wrote:
Most things I prefer are in PSO.

PSO was more hunt oriented and it was exciting to find things, since if you avoided trading with obvious dupers/hackers and/or played in your own play circle you trusted, hunting was the only way to get anything decent and it was exciting and kept me playing. PSU requires more economic play and synthing of items you find or buy into the items you'd otherwise have hunted in PSO. Not bad and that si fun too, however, its not as much fun to farm crafting materials and find boards or buy these things and its made worse by infinite meseta breaking that aspect of the game. I was enjoying PSU for its synth and farm and economic system for the short time there was no meseta and item duping, but now I find it much less fun in its current environment than PSO. They were almost equal when neither game had cheating in them, but even then I had more fun in PSO.

Combat system in PSO I found to be a bit more varied. By this I mean the Light, Medium, Heavy/Special attacks and combinations. This is especially true for Hunters where I find myself in PSU hitting the same button over and over and nodding off since it took little thought or had little variation. Conversely, the aspect brought into PSU in terms of elements and levelling arts is very nice. I also like the weapon switching for FO's as it gave a bit of decision-making necessity and activity you had to do during play, but you had a similar cpability with Quick Select action pallette for access to FO techniques in PSO that worked well for me too. About even here, but a slight edge for me to PSO due to Hunter play.

PSO had larger more interesting levels, with more varied room design and environments. I'm not sure why PSU doesnt have this, but while the resolution can be higher on PSU, there isnt much outside of character models I'm as interested in looking at as the environments and the rooms in PSO. Waterfall room in Caves, lava rooms in Caves, the little hidden nook and cranny in the Shino room in Ruins, the Great room in Ruins, the little streams and lighting effects in Forest. On and on. PSU is a little uninteresting in the department and since going over a level a million times is an aspect of both games, PSU really suffers here.

Character models and customization in PSU is awesome and obviously a boon over PSO. As is the use of character rooms and custmization there, character shops, an economy (when it worked). These are all great. The larger cities are also very nice, though would have been better if they were a bit more interactive or full more often, it hardly matters, they are an improvement too. I like the mission progression paths and the planets with different environs, but the above environment and level design issues would have made it golden, so this is only partially implemented in my opinion and suffers due to somewhat poor level design and implementation, variation, lighting. Nonetheless, PSU shines on most of these things.

The online/offline mode thing was a bit of a bust to me for PSU. The concept was great. Story mode should have been more challenging or done away with altogether, with more NPC-interactive things put into the online game. Gone from PSU is all the character brought to the game from all the NPC quests. We also dont (yet) have Endless Nightmare variants (or equivalents) and a host of cool online quests that SEGA was so good at making fun and interesting. PSU is a tad bland online save what you bring to it on your own.

Enemy designs were more interesting to me in PSO. This I will admit as subjective. However, on many PSU levels there just arent enough variations of enemies when you go through a level as you had in most PSO levels. Rare monsters and the excitement of finding one is pretty much gone from PSU too. We get the rappy variants with the rare bosses that drop different things, but I personally think it'd have ben a bit more fun to have a few PSU rare normal enemies too so on a run you have a chance of seeing something odd.

Sounds. Why do doors and enemy deaths have sounds that sound like they came from 10 years ago? The PSU soundtrack also isnt as good.

All that said, PSO isnt perfect either. The things PSU shines in (above) are many of the things PSO suffered in.

Overall to me they both have strengths and weaknesses. I prefer PSO hands down. If they fixed the cheating I might come back, but PSU was supposed to be the fix in and of itself for those kinds of problems in PSO, setting aside any comparisons. Had it simply accomplished that many more would still be playing.

lol big quote ^_^
I agree with pretty much everything here... That's it =)

Shaidar
Feb 1, 2007, 01:09 PM
First off: Even though PSO, just like PSU, was a life in a tube it had some "mysterious" feeling over it, despite the fact that there weren't much to explore and discover. In PSU, on the other hand, the lack of freedom is more apparent than ever. I've said this before, but if they had made a connected game world (think Guild Wars) it would be awesome. A shame with such an awesome gameplay.

Anyway, I had to let that out. Time to ponder the pros of the two games when compared to each other. I'm not going to bring up what they're lacking now, or any negative aspects for that matter. Only what PSU does better when compared to PSO and vice versa.

PSO:
+ Enviroment
+ Background story
+ Music
+ NPC Design
+ Boss Battles
+ Cool items and equipment (we'll see what PSU has to offer in the future)
+ NPC (Even though PSU has alot more interaction with characters, only a few of them are more interesting IMO)
+ Intro and ending theme (I can't stress this enough!)

PSU:
+ Gameplay
+ PAs, Techs
+ Graphics (but not enviroment design)
+ PC design
+ Character creation
+ Outfits! (I miss some of the PSO ones though)
+ Sound effects
+ Online trade and shops
+ PMs (Sorry, the mags were cute but a hassle)
+ Potential

Err...or something like that. I fear there's alot to talk about here, and I don't have time for that. I'll just say that they're both good, but PSU wins in the end due to gameplay. In my opinion, of course.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shaidar on 2007-02-01 10:11 ]</font>

Krans
Feb 1, 2007, 02:52 PM
On 2007-01-31 21:26, VanHalen wrote:

PSU vs. PSO:

i agree with you on the whole doublesaber not looking different but... there wasnt much difference between a saber,brand,buster,and pallasch in PSO or the other basic weapons.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-01-31 21:53 ]</font>

Yes saber, brand, buster were only distinguished by color, which is fine because they were base weaps but what im saying is the rares were actually you know... rare looking. Ex: double sabers had meteor cudgel, partisan of lightning, black king bar, the double sabers on fire. Now the best thing we have is crea doubles? which in the old game is like a simple common double saber (look at pics they are the same). The Carriguine weapon is the first one that actually sets itself apart and is why i want it so bad. Plus PSO had weaps with more special abilities (ie. dragon claw shooting foie) now all we get is claws in diff colors. Like i said i still prefer PSU over PSO but to me biggest differences are Mags vs. PMs, Weapon types and appearances geared with photon arts, and different worlds.

Laranas
Feb 1, 2007, 03:29 PM
5. Thats ridiculous. Have you even noticed your stats are quite a bit higher naturally? If you wanted to "add" MAGs, you'd need to tone down the stats. As far as their looks, I'm sorry, but did anyone here NOT have an angel wings, devil wings, or chao? Sure they "broke" up combat but after your point about PSO fighting being more tactical...that sounds contradictive to want to break it up...Nidra 4 lyfe

Thrash777
Feb 1, 2007, 03:46 PM
What PSU has, that PSO didn't:
Player Shops, Photon Arts, the 360, Flexible Class Types, Meseta actually being worth something...

Axel3792
Feb 1, 2007, 04:18 PM
Music: PSO > PSU, I think this issue has been settled.
Combat: PSO < PSU, but not by much. I like my normal-hard-special combos...
Community: Can't decide. Most people on PSU are jackoffs (omgudiedusuk*boot*), and on PSO they are hackers.
Game World: PSO < PSU, barely. Ragol owns Gurhal, but there are more areas unlocked on PSU.
Item Variety: PSO > PSU. Yay, clothes were added, but still no Dragon Slayer!? Giga Saud or whatever sucks.
Positive Feedback: PSO > PSU. PSO was revolutionary, but PSU is just, well, another mediocre online game.

VanHalen
Feb 1, 2007, 05:08 PM
On 2007-02-01 11:52, Krans wrote:

On 2007-01-31 21:26, VanHalen wrote:

PSU vs. PSO:

Yes saber, brand, buster were only distinguished by color, which is fine because they were base weaps but what im saying is the rares were actually you know... rare looking. Ex: double sabers had meteor cudgel, partisan of lightning, black king bar, the double sabers on fire. Now the best thing we have is crea doubles? which in the old game is like a simple common double saber (look at pics they are the same). The Carriguine weapon is the first one that actually sets itself apart and is why i want it so bad. Plus PSO had weaps with more special abilities (ie. dragon claw shooting foie) now all we get is claws in diff colors. Like i said i still prefer PSU over PSO but to me biggest differences are Mags vs. PMs, Weapon types and appearances geared with photon arts, and different worlds.

but see the difference is the double saber is not a rare weapon anymore neither is the axe or claws its been turned into a basic store bought one. and if you want to see different looking rare items there is a thread on this in the gameplay section.

CAST-Sapphire
Feb 1, 2007, 05:36 PM
I prefer PSU for many different reasons. PA's, the fact you can play any race as any class, better varity of clothes, more weapons, 6 man teams, ect.

But one of the things I really love is the freeroam world, instead of lobbies.

*EDIT* Oh and the biggest reason for liking PSU better....PM's. I HATED mags!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CAST-Sapphire on 2007-02-01 14:40 ]</font>

MookMetal
Feb 2, 2007, 09:59 AM
nice feedback every1 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif