PDA

View Full Version : Embrace broadband gaming Nintendo!

hollowtip
Feb 2, 2007, 03:49 AM
Why Nintendo? Why must you defy the future of videogaming and refuse to venture into the infinite possibilities of online gaming? I mean, I love my Nintendo Wii, but wouldn't it be a hundred times better if connectivity was embraced? Sure I love my elebits and Wii sports, but wouldn't my gaming escapades be 1000x more fun if I could play three more of my friends (or complete strangers) in a few sessions of bowling? Sure I have my miis and my console number that I can exchange with my friends, but the possibilities of the motion sensing capabilities of the "wiimote" is hampered by the limited stance Nintendo has torwards online gaming. I understand the Wii has only been out for a few months, but my optimism is wavering considering the mii implimentation.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 2, 2007, 04:16 AM
I read a 1up article about FFXI (of all games, blah) being considered for the Wii and Square Enix asking Nintendo to reconsider all the friend code nonsense.

Hopefully that comes to fruition so playing Smash Bros isn't a tiresome exercise in exchanging friend codes, then the ball gets rolling on plenty more online titles being allowed by Nintendo to go online.

Firocket1690
Feb 2, 2007, 06:12 PM
On 2007-02-02 01:16, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
I read a 1up article about FFXI (of all games, blah) being considered for the Wii and Square Enix asking Nintendo to reconsider all the friend code nonsense.

Hopefully that comes to fruition so playing Smash Bros isn't a tiresome exercise in exchanging friend codes, then the ball gets rolling on plenty more online titles being allowed by Nintendo to go online.

If the wii's online future is anything like the DS's current online status, and given the popularity of super smash bros, and its intended audience, I see a lot of disconnected Brawl matches in the future.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 2, 2007, 10:34 PM
Do you mean just based on it being wi-fi internet accessible only?
(and the problems that come along with that)

OR

Your standard wimps who disconnect when they are losing, about to lose, just lost, so the opponent won't get the win tallied to their record? (in games that aren't programmed to handle these jokers when they disconnect on purpose)

Nidramag
Feb 3, 2007, 09:50 AM
I hate people that disconnect, I'll be kicking ass in a game of star fox for the DS then some loser 5-year-old baby disconnects, and I believe it gives all of us negative points for that. Same with metroid prime: hunters.

VanHalen
Feb 3, 2007, 07:46 PM
i was playing mario kart DS and a person disconnected and i got a lost on my record lol

Jae
Feb 4, 2007, 06:47 AM
Nintendo? Online? Does not compute. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I learned my lesson the first time with the gamecube and completely skipped over the wii. In this day and age, no online support = fail.

XCOPY
Feb 4, 2007, 11:42 AM
interesting...I thought surely the Nintendo was more open to online capabilities with the new system? So, they STILL haven't embraced it yet?! Why are they still living in 1991? I'm still going to get the new system really soon....but this is quite disappointing. Up until now, I thought they finally did everything right again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XCOPY on 2007-02-04 08:43 ]</font>

Wheatpenny
Feb 4, 2007, 12:29 PM
I kinda liked the matchmaking system from metroid prime hunters. I also like the game menu that the Tony Hawk games had. Hopefully Smash brothers impliments something similar.

DraginHikari
Feb 5, 2007, 12:00 AM
Someone want to fill me in here... what exactly is wrong with the way there doing it now?

Squall179
Feb 5, 2007, 01:02 AM
Well, if yoru ever playing against a Squall in star fox and he vanishes, its a disconnect.....

some of us have connection issues with handheld devices....though, for them ost part it usually is just little brats

BigGoldRobot
Feb 5, 2007, 02:45 AM
Nintendos strategy? Unless you know the person (and their friend code) they are obviously an online predator duh

hollowtip
Feb 5, 2007, 04:44 AM
On 2007-02-04 21:00, DraginHikari wrote:
Someone want to fill me in here... what exactly is wrong with the way there doing it now?

Like someone mentioned previously, their strategy. The friends code nonsense, and nintendo's sloth like speeds of implementing online features is limiting my enjoyment in the games I'm currently playing.

I don't want to jump to conclusions and claim that Nintendo will fail in the online atmosphere so early in the console's life, but the future doesn't seem incredibly promising for broadband gaming on the Wii.

DraginHikari
Feb 5, 2007, 09:04 AM
Hmm, I don't really understand the thing with Wii since I don't have one. But the way that works on the DS doesn't really bother me, since it's free and usually I can just play something quick and easy even if it's from someone completely random.

SpikeOtacon
Feb 7, 2007, 09:08 PM
This problem of friend codes could be pretty easily overridden: Log in with a 'My Nintendo' account and have that be the hub for all personal data, friends lists, ect.

Friends codes suck, and are really slow at processing. Took a friend of mine and I's Wii numbers almost four days before the request went through and they both were confirmed.

KodiaX987
Feb 7, 2007, 10:47 PM
From what I heard, it's apparently impossible to get a game list on the Wii's online service. So if you want to play a game online, you have to know exactly the number of the game you want to join - you can't get a listing like you could do on Xbox Live or the usual PC games - why exactly Nintendo did things that way baffles me... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Yuicihi
Feb 8, 2007, 04:53 PM
On 2007-02-03 06:50, Nidramag wrote:
I hate people that disconnect, I'll be kicking ass in a game of star fox for the DS then some loser 5-year-old baby disconnects, and I believe it gives all of us negative points for that. Same with metroid prime: hunters.

The NWFC is widely unstable, and someone's bound to disconnect due to connection dropping. It's not always their fault.

The records business, is complete BS. It helps with matchmaking, but matchmaking's widely broke. And seriously, who cares about some digital number that won't impact you in the long run? Enjoy the game.

DizzyDi
Feb 8, 2007, 05:00 PM
Is the Wii upgradeable anyway? Like could there be an OS upgrade?

SpikeOtacon
Feb 8, 2007, 09:17 PM
On 2007-02-08 14:00, DizzyDi wrote:
Is the Wii upgradeable anyway? Like could there be an OS upgrade?

Technically standing yes, it is possible. Will it happen? No. If anything is ever done, it's just added as a channel instead of actually being integrated. And these things take time to load, instead of providing smooth transfers between sections.

It's all a mess. Why Nintendo, Why? I've always hated the friends code system, ALWAYS. The Wii will be in deep internet shit if it keeps up.