PDA

View Full Version : So...why should clothes cost so much?

XCOPY
Feb 3, 2007, 01:59 PM
It's just annoying. Clothing items don't serve any purpose other than something to make your character look cool. It is purely for aesthetic value. Weapons and armour...it makes sense that those things would cost big money, depending on how good they are. But come on...35 grand for a damn jacket? 10000 for boots(I bought "Classicas" today)? It's just a douchebag move on the developer's part, imo....it doesn't make any kind of sense. Money doesn't come that easily to just casually spend 35,000...at least not considering the normal parameters of the game(I realize everyone in Ps2/PC land are millionaires, apparently.)

If I could interview one of the developers, this would be one of my questions. Is there any kind of legitimate reason? I'm doubting it. It's just lame and keeps the average person wearing the default clothes(99% of which suck considerable amounts of ass) forever.

*and...why not let the newmans cast barehanded anymore?

Discuss, perhaps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XCOPY on 2007-02-03 11:00 ]</font>

DRO
Feb 3, 2007, 02:01 PM
Lets go streaking!

Dumah
Feb 3, 2007, 02:03 PM
its a money sink every game has them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zorafim
Feb 3, 2007, 02:04 PM
They cost alot for the same reason real cloths cost alot. Some would argue that looking good is more important that pushing out large numbers. That is the price you pay for looking badass.

Besides, if they were cheap, what would stop every noob from hoarding the cool looking stuff, making more clones than what already exist?

pineapple
Feb 3, 2007, 02:24 PM
Clothes costing a lot makes for a good visual differentiation between low leveled and higher leveled players.
In most games you naturally look better as you work your way up. I don't like the clothes out right now a whole lot though.

AlieNxxxxxxxx
Feb 3, 2007, 02:32 PM
I don't buy clothes, nor do I buy decorations for my room. They are a waste of time and are pointless...
The meseta can be used elsewhere for a better purpose. ie buying weapons.

Mattardo
Feb 3, 2007, 02:46 PM
ask a Nike customer why they pay so much for shoes that are basically not much better than your average shoe. So people can say "oo" and "ah" and "that man is sexually desirable now. Before he was, like, whatever, but NOW I want to have his children". Yes, I am suggesting that virtual children could be born on PSU. They could be like a PM or an NPC, except it takes 18 years to raise them or you get hit with Child Cruelty charges if you take them out to battle before that.

Kura-X
Feb 3, 2007, 02:50 PM
it's game money. it can be earned back.

and looking good is what this game is all about. I'd pay more for a formal dress than i would for a 12* weapon.

AlieNxxxxxxxx
Feb 3, 2007, 02:51 PM
CAST clothes suck =[
Why can't casts have like a suit or something? =[

EphekZ
Feb 3, 2007, 02:54 PM
they made it so high so you can bitch about it.

Shaidar
Feb 3, 2007, 03:53 PM
On 2007-02-03 11:50, Kura-X wrote:
it's game money. it can be earned back.

and looking good is what this game is all about. I'd pay more for a formal dress than i would for a 12* weapon.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's all about looking good. It's about having fun whilst kicking arse, and looking good while doing so is always a bonus.

So yeah, I'd cough up alot for the perfect outfit, more than I would for any weapon actually. I don't find clothings that expensive. A-rank weapons cost more than a full set of the most expensive clothes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shaidar on 2007-02-03 12:54 ]</font>

Ogni-XR21
Feb 3, 2007, 03:55 PM
The whole concept of this game is based on making and spending money - thats why the PS2/PC version is so broken and losing more and more players. ST put as many money sinks in there as possible, so people grind and grind and grind.

Garnet_Moon
Feb 3, 2007, 03:57 PM
Why should I have to pay for fresh produce when I need it to survive? It should be free.

Why should I pay for slick threads when I need them or the Phasion Police will beat me to death? It should be free.

nooblet
Feb 3, 2007, 04:04 PM
once you come to the conclusion that spending an extra hundred grand to pump out 20 more damage is pretty pointless, looking good is all that matter

style > stats

Krans
Feb 3, 2007, 05:35 PM
i see everyones points here but i think they did it badly as well, 30k for a jacket is kind of cruel, maybe it would have been interesting if they put very small stat enhancements on the very high suits, or they should at least have lots and lots of low price items and maybe a few high class clothing

Yuicihi
Feb 3, 2007, 05:39 PM
I'd like mesata to drop in such quanities such as in Extra Mode, instead of getting 4 mesata each drop until I can go play on Moatoob.

Of course, this would upset the economy and such, but hey, it's fucked up now.

Errorrrr
Feb 3, 2007, 05:46 PM
what the hell... they are not a necessity... so why are you bitching at them?? not like it's needed to make you do more damage... it's for those who has money. if you dont' have money, TOUGH LUCK! you don't need these clothes to make you do more damage, so therefore any price on them is justified, since it's luxury. It's like asking why the hell people pay for lexus, instead of toyota, when they serve the same purpose.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Errorrrr on 2007-02-03 14:47 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 3, 2007, 06:25 PM
isn't that what this game is all about? aesthetics? i mean, its pointless to kill monsters if you don't look cool while doing it.

Sephlock
Feb 3, 2007, 07:00 PM
http://www.forbes.com/collecting/2004/11/03/cx_ns_1103feat.html

"Is there really that much difference between a $2,000 suit and one costing two, three or four times more? To many men a suit is a form of psychological, as well as physical, armor. It not only makes you look good, it can also give you more confidence. "I can afford a $10,000 suit," it makes you think. "And those other chumps can't." "

"Valentino had the most expensive off-the-rack "Newman" suit, which sells for $2,695, though made-to-measures apparently can reach $3,500."

"Just how high do the highest-end men's suits go? Expect to pay a minimum of $3,500 for a truly first-rate custom number, though depending upon the name on the label starting prices can range much higher"

Mattardo
Feb 3, 2007, 07:40 PM
Consume.... Fatten Sega's pockets with monthly fees as you spend your mesata on inane things like clothing, failed synths and broken grinds. Bwahaha! The longer your spend attaining the high levels due to your spending habits, the richer they become with your real world money! So seriously, stop leveling and go shopping, you monkeys.

Rashiid
Feb 3, 2007, 09:12 PM
clothes...:laughs to himself:

ive probably wasted about 400k on different clothes.....

only thing that bugs me is that female clothes cost more in each update >_<

i asked mah friend "hey, how much did ur new stuff cost?"

friend: "shirt was 35k, pants were 30K, and shoes (he forgot lol)"

new female stuff? try 40k shirt, 35k pants, and...well i forgot that too lol but i bet its 5k more!!

Trayven
Feb 4, 2007, 12:10 AM
I personally like to grind for meseta and buy new duds. It makes me stand out. However I wouldn't mind synthesizing clothes. Also I wish that for the price of clothes it would give me more room in my inventory.

Palefire
Feb 4, 2007, 12:38 AM
On 2007-02-03 11:04, Zorafim wrote:
They cost alot for the same reason real cloths cost alot. Some would argue that looking good is more important that pushing out large numbers. That is the price you pay for looking badass.

Besides, if they were cheap, what would stop every noob from hoarding the cool looking stuff, making more clones than what already exist?

On 2007-02-03 13:04, nooblet wrote:
once you come to the conclusion that spending an extra hundred grand to pump out 20 more damage is pretty pointless, looking good is all that matter

style > stats

On 2007-02-03 15:25, Shiroryuu wrote:
isn't that what this game is all about? aesthetics? i mean, its pointless to kill monsters if you don't look cool while doing it.

Whut they said. Number-crunching ain't enough.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Palefire on 2007-02-03 21:39 ]</font>

Shinzakura
Feb 4, 2007, 10:16 AM
I personally like the idea of clothing, as it doesn't show everybody as 3000 different clones of the same character. What I would have preferred, though, is a little more customization in the colors, as well as a tad bit more normalcy in the clothing - who the hell would go up against a dragon in nothing but shorts and a t-shirt?

SolomonGrundy
Feb 4, 2007, 10:54 AM
Clothes are great. it allows higher level players to differentiate themselves even more.

ou may be level 55, but when you see a guy who is level 65 *and* he has the $$$ clothing - you know THAT guy, has been playing for a while, and cares about how his character looks.

I can respect that

lostinseganet
Feb 4, 2007, 11:27 AM
Dude its name brand. It's all in the name. (^_^)

Wheatpenny
Feb 4, 2007, 12:25 PM
LOL the clothes are sega's plan to remove the hacked meseta from the economy when they do the last update with close they will cost 9999999999

RuPiKa
Feb 4, 2007, 12:42 PM
Then again, would any of you pay $700 for a pair of high-heel shoes that have a couple of leather straps ans a 5 inch heel? No?, that is why the prices of the on-line clothes strikes you as absurd. Not only that but, You'll only wear them a couple of times a month and they will be out of fashion next season. Fashion cost because, looking good is priceless in a superficial society. lol (I think...)

XCOPY
Feb 4, 2007, 01:08 PM
Well, like in the real world...it's "just clothes" to me....not something that warrants paying a ridiculous amount of money. For example, I remember seeing a cheap looking t-shirt in a store one day for about $75 or $80, and it was just funny to me that some fool out there will actually buy that. Then there's shoes....I will never understand someone paying well over $150 for some sneakers, simply because it happens to have a certain brand name.(shoes are even more of a stupid purchase, imo...as they aren't even the focal point of your outfit....it is something that is only seen in peripheral vision a good 99% of the time.)

Here in a virtual world, clothes should be even less important than they are in reality....much less, actually. Of course they should still cost something, but some of those prices are just absurd. I just wanted to throw out another little annoyance of the game for the sake of commentary. It's only the tip of the iceberg with my love/hate relationship with this game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XCOPY on 2007-02-04 10:09 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Feb 4, 2007, 01:24 PM
I buy my shoes at Payless.
I buy my shirts and pants at Wal-Mart.

But then again, i'm just a cheap bastard. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-02-04 10:25 ]</font>

Sephlock
Feb 4, 2007, 01:34 PM
I can't believe NO ONE commented on the "Newman" suit http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

Itchee
Feb 4, 2007, 02:30 PM
I dont care what anyone says....I look pimp in my Kireek parts!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rashiid
Feb 4, 2007, 02:45 PM
because the new newman male suit, everyone bought the gold & red one, so its annoying to me now lol

Reeses
Feb 4, 2007, 03:10 PM
Ok so well heres my opinion on all of this clothing bs.

Ok first. No one is forcing anyone to buy clothing. I actually like 'some' of the starter clothing for females, and yes i do wear them on occasion. ( I change clothes 3-4 times daily on this game ). Also, the clothes are not that expensive, i managed to play for about 2-3 hours and I would have enough to purchase the new outfit for the update. Simple as that...

Also, someone made a comment about $700 dollar leather shoes with straps. Um hell yes I would buy those. Clothing today is a status symbol. It always has been, this fact applies to PSU as well. The people with money CAN afford the more expensive clothing pieces, sets, and whatnot. Someone also said that clothing in this game is SEGAs way of making a decent economy and that couldnt be more true. No matter how much a piece of clothing, there are going to be people who buy it JUST for the status symbol. If you cant buy it, then ok, no one is looking down on you.

It frustrates me that there is even a topic about this. The solution is simple, if you cant buy it, then either save or dont sweat it. That applies to real life as well. I hope people dont make a big stink that higher members of society pay $10,000 for a pair of shoes or $15,000 for a handbag. Its a normal thing.

Stay positive. Stay fashionable...

<3

silvanas
Feb 4, 2007, 03:16 PM
i always wonderd this, does that mean that normal people get paied way more than guardians?

Schubalts
Feb 5, 2007, 12:15 AM
The guardians are payed by normal people, so I'd say yes.

Xx3of19xX
Feb 5, 2007, 10:27 AM
On 2007-02-04 07:16, Shinzakura wrote:
I personally like the idea of clothing, as it doesn't show everybody as 3000 different clones of the same character. What I would have preferred, though, is a little more customization in the colors, as well as a tad bit more normalcy in the clothing - who the hell would go up against a dragon in nothing but shorts and a t-shirt?

Because the line shield you're wearing absorbs damage way better than a clunky piece of knight's armor ever would. Much better having the extra mobility. Duh! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Almalexia
Feb 5, 2007, 12:46 PM
I'd be complaining if they costed the same as they are offline.

MayLee
Feb 5, 2007, 01:16 PM
They are costy so everyone wont go out and look the same. >.>

But I tend to buy every last clothing known to PSU kind. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ElfKitty
Feb 5, 2007, 01:28 PM
New clothes are something to work towards ^_^ When I first started PSU I saved up meseta for a long time so I could buy a new outfit, it was cool. =) With everyone being millionaires now it's not *quite* as satisfying to buy new things... but I do love being able to completely change my look every couple of days. ^_^

VanHalen
Feb 5, 2007, 02:15 PM
its like real life you go to the store a jacket will cost you between 20-5000 dollars. but anyway these prices are nothing compared to the prices in extra mode for clothing

i think it was
speeder jersey: 10K
innnocent jacket: 500K
shoes: 200K