PDA

View Full Version : How to hook new players, and help the community grow...

Axel3792
Feb 6, 2007, 10:08 AM
Last night I played with a friend that, without my intervention, may not be playing PSU currently.

Why?

Because I actually helped the player out in the beginning. We all know that it sucks creating a new character, unless you have a main already.

-Help a noob once in a while! Power level them! Impress them with your power! (lmao)

-Point out that the hackers are easily avoidable, and at worst, it's now easy to make money with player shops.

-Be nice, not stingy, and buy them a Stellaline or something better than a 1* armor!

Charity goes a long way, folks. Remember, the community of an online game is what counts. Anyone can party with an NPC offline.

Oh, and to scammers reading this, don't fake being new. You'll only get a 3* armor at best.

If anyone else has any ideas, post them here.

SuperRygar
Feb 6, 2007, 11:05 AM
so true. this thread should be locked and stickied http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif im surprised its not full of haters already. some people just read about the game and listen to it. this game is what you make of it new guys! one non-100% way to tell if someone is new, check out their ID number >.< someone that is 2000012034 is not new

Axel3792
Feb 6, 2007, 11:07 AM
On 2007-02-06 08:05, SuperRygar wrote:someone that is 2000012034 is not new

Good point. I saw someone up in the 33k range last night, if that helps.

desolant11
Feb 6, 2007, 11:13 AM
yeah people with a high number that i see in the lobby begging with a level 2 character are sad. trying to say they're noob and need meseta. the shop thing is right, theres a few huntable items that can get you a nice payday when you're lucky enough and at a high enough level to find them frequently enough. takes time.

Dhylec
Feb 6, 2007, 11:29 AM
Showing them around. Do a run or two to help lev-up. Since meseta is limited for me, offering items is just being extra nice. Being nice is helping already. ;]

Thrash777
Feb 6, 2007, 12:35 PM
I just tell people to download the demo and play it for free. I've got 12 of my friends list into it now just by saying that! (and lots of my biased, fanboyisms over PSO/PSU, lol)

RadiantLegend
Feb 6, 2007, 12:38 PM
I do what i can when i have time.

MayLee
Feb 6, 2007, 12:49 PM
I do what I can, I give advice and do runs with them, maybe give them a 3 star weapon or armor I synthed.

Giving advice on how to grind is kinda difficult.. =

Tahldon
Feb 6, 2007, 12:53 PM
Hm.. Maybe I should stop giving stuff to Maylee and help a noob instead >.>;

Hm.. good deeds

MayLee
Feb 6, 2007, 12:56 PM
On 2007-02-06 09:53, Tahldon wrote:

Hm.. good deeds

Now, now...I'll be new in a couple days..>.>

So please do send more free stuffs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Heh, kiddin'

<.<

Tahldon
Feb 6, 2007, 12:59 PM
On 2007-02-06 09:56, MayLee wrote:

On 2007-02-06 09:53, Tahldon wrote:

Hm.. good deeds

Now, now...I'll be new in a couple days..>.>

So please do send more free stuffs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Heh, kiddin'

<.<

Don't Worry I have a low level char to play so I can play with you and help you out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Hm.. I think I'm gonna give someone a bunch of Dianaline.. just cause I have it everywhere..

DarkDeception
Feb 6, 2007, 01:09 PM
I spend most of my time doing low level mission with new people to get them to a level where they can handle themselves on their own nicely

SabZero
Feb 6, 2007, 01:13 PM
That's why we want a weekly informal meet-up (read MaximusLights post in player matchup).

And, I wouldn't want to conclude if someone is new or not b their guild card number. SEGA might recycle them you know.

SuperRygar
Feb 6, 2007, 01:41 PM
meet-ups dont work :/ a large percentage of the newbies arent' on forums. you have to search them out. and besides not everybody can sync up a time to meet. do the Universe a favor everyone, and search out a newb!

Scejntjynahl
Feb 6, 2007, 01:51 PM
How do you propose we determine if they are really new to the whole PSU environment? Is there a criteria to be followed? Oo

Sychosis
Feb 6, 2007, 02:16 PM
Wait a second, helping new players isn't common nowadays?

I help anyone I see in need of help, just not beggars. I hate beggars.

Sinue_v2
Feb 6, 2007, 02:19 PM

No... I am not Sega's martketing staff. I'm not on their payroll. If they want to pay me to go out of my way to convince people to stick with PSU, or purchase it, then I'd be happy to. If Sega wants PSU to fail - then by god, it will fail. With or without any of our intervention.

As for your suggestions on being "nice to the newbs" - this is shit you all should have been doing reguardless. It's called "Not being a complete asshat online". Or at best, simply expanding your circle of friends.

Garnet_Moon
Feb 6, 2007, 02:20 PM
I've got so much meseta lying around it'd be a crime NOT to help newbies out.

Aaron777
Feb 6, 2007, 02:33 PM
whenever I see a low level player I ask them if it's their main character...if it is they just won big money http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I'm such a generous guy! And humble too!

Scejntjynahl
Feb 6, 2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah, it shows >.>;;

I guess by looking at their id number would be a best way to see if they are new to the game. That or just people with multiple accounts http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Tankster
Feb 6, 2007, 03:29 PM
Il be starting online soon and i support this thread! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif lol

Garnet_Moon
Feb 6, 2007, 03:35 PM
On 2007-02-06 12:29, Tankster wrote:
Il be starting online soon and i support this thread! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif lol

PC or 360? If PC, and you see me i'll be glad to help. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

McLaughlin
Feb 6, 2007, 03:44 PM
On 2007-02-06 11:19, Sinue_v2 wrote:
As for your suggestions on being "nice to the newbs" - this is shit you all should have been doing reguardless. It's called "Not being a complete asshat online". Or at best, simply expanding your circle of friends.

You beat me to it.

You shouldn't have to order people to do it to save the game, people should have enough decency to say "Hey bud, that mission is way to hard for you. You should hit up Linear Lines. Follow me."

Maybe this is why your population sucks ass community is dying.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-02-06 12:54 ]</font>

Sychosis
Feb 6, 2007, 03:47 PM
On 2007-02-06 12:44, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
Maybe this is why your population sucks ass.

That was uncalled for.

McLaughlin
Feb 6, 2007, 03:53 PM
Well, I meant population, as in number of people.

Maybe I outta rephrase it to say "community is dying"...

CelestialBlade
Feb 6, 2007, 04:04 PM
I think it was more of an idea that being nice to new people is a good idea....jesus, people.

ShinMaruku
Feb 6, 2007, 04:11 PM
People love being shitty to one another. Thus Thanatos takes his due.

McLaughlin
Feb 6, 2007, 04:13 PM
On 2007-02-06 13:04, Typheros wrote:
I think it was more of an idea that being nice to new people is a good idea....jesus, people.

It's pretty much expected. Hardly an idea. It shouldn't feel like a chore when you help someone out.

CelestialBlade
Feb 6, 2007, 05:03 PM
I don't recall anyone trying to force the issue, though. No it shouldn't be forced, but I hardly consider giving someone a hand or lending some advice a chore, if they're not being an asshat about it.

Axel3792
Feb 6, 2007, 05:08 PM
On 2007-02-06 12:29, Tankster wrote:

See? THAT is what this thread is all about!

If you are on PC/PS2, drop me a line.

Almalexia
Feb 6, 2007, 07:35 PM
Me not going into a C mission and inadvertantly killing everything is my way of helping ALL new players out.

Tahldon
Feb 6, 2007, 08:47 PM
Lol OMG I didn't know it was so hard to give people stuff!

*Initiates Trade*

*Newb stands*

*Cancels trade and explains how to trade and why I'm trading newbie*

*Initiates trade*

*Newb stands*

*Waits*

*Waits*

*Waits*

*Cancels trade - "You don't want swords and stuff?*

*newb stands*

Why is this so hard?!

Scejntjynahl
Feb 6, 2007, 08:51 PM
Because they don't know you? >.>;;

Tahldon
Feb 6, 2007, 08:55 PM
On 2007-02-06 17:51, Scejntjynahl wrote:
Because they don't know you? >.>;;

Lol I can see a point there, kinda.

What kind of harm would a level 70 do to a level 1 player?

"You want some swords and stuff?" That's pretty harmless lol.

Not like I hacked busters and Brands.

Ah well :3

Scejntjynahl
Feb 6, 2007, 09:03 PM
Play a training game with them, build up a form of trust. Then they may be more susceptible to accepting your offer.

Krans
Feb 7, 2007, 05:27 AM
Yea im pretty generous i pretty much give stuff away to low levels or sell them REALLY CHEAP, ex: twice in the past two days low lv people have been in my shop trying to buy synth materials but being broke so i just listed whatever they needed for 1 meseta.

landman
Feb 7, 2007, 06:21 AM
When I find a Spanish newbie player that is lost because of the language and inexperience, I always take minimum 2 two days playing with them, meeting with other Spanish players so they exchange cards, teaching them the basics and buying them some magic/PA. Then a month later half of them kit the game -.-

Axel3792
Feb 7, 2007, 02:32 PM
On 2007-02-07 03:21, landman wrote:
When I find a Spanish newbie player that is lost because of the language and inexperience, I always take minimum 2 two days playing with them, meeting with other Spanish players so they exchange cards, teaching them the basics and buying them some magic/PA. Then a month later half of them kit the game -.-

Wow... being foreign on these servers must suck massivley.

Everyone! Learn a second language! </sarcasm>