PDA

View Full Version : PSU-XBox 360: Tour de Gurhal - Team Assignment Method

Sychosis
Feb 6, 2007, 02:40 PM
IMPORTANT LINKS
Original Thread (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=134628&forum=20&35)
Team Assignment Method (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=134704&forum=20&6)
Entry Fee/Prizes (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=134664&forum=20&14)
Sign-ups (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=134888&forum=20&1)

Our next order of business is establishing how people want teams set up. I'll go into more detail about the options:

Player's Choice: Players are free to join which ever team they feel like. You can feel free to party up with all of your friends if you're so inclined.

Draft: Team Leaders choose 1 at a time, one person to be on their team, starting with the lowest level Leader. This method assures a fairly balanced distribution of levels, classes, etc.

Random: All player's are selected and assigned a group at random. I even have a hat to draw names from!

Your(My) Discretion: If you want ME to assign teams based on level, class, etc. I really don't want to have to make teams myself, so choose this only if you really, REALLY want me to.

Apathetic: If you don't care which method is used, you're apathetic! Congratulations!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2007-02-08 15:45 ]</font>

Sychosis
Feb 6, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ugh! Guys, this is one of the more important aspects. It determines whether you get stuck in a pure fortetecher team, or a balanced team, or a team full of people you like!

Have a heart, I'm dyin' here!

JAFO22000
Feb 6, 2007, 06:38 PM
I think it should be player's choice. For those without complete teams, singles can be picked up. Any "leftover" singles can form their own team.

Sychosis
Feb 6, 2007, 06:42 PM
I'd love to see it be player's choice as well, but there is the problem of fairness. 70s vs 50s and 60s makes it hard to keep a level playing field. I'm sure something can be worked out though.

A total team level restriction maybe?

A2K
Feb 6, 2007, 06:44 PM
This goes hand-in-hand with why I wasn't a fan of the competition format. I get the distinct impression some teams would rather conveniently fill their last slot with a severely under-leveled participant. The problem is, if the method was anything but player's choice, people's enthusiasm and ultimately their participation would probably fall down a deep dark hole.

JAFO22000
Feb 6, 2007, 06:46 PM
Perhaps you can do different events for different levels? Or, say lv1-15 can do a C run, 16-30 can do a B, 31-50 A run, 51+ S....? That doesn't seem fair. Seperation is the only way. I don't think a team with average level 35 would be able to compete with a team full of 65+'s. You may just have to have seperate events.

Sychosis
Feb 6, 2007, 06:49 PM
A2K, you're such a downer.

::Hugs A2K:: http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

omegapirate2k
Feb 6, 2007, 06:57 PM
GO RANDOM ASSIGNMENT!!

It'd definitely balance the teams out (well, random as in random people, not random classes/levels)

So, a mix between a draft and random.

Esufer
Feb 6, 2007, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't like player's choice, I'm not well known by people on here. Or on the 360 servers as well. It'd basically be Maylee and Parn getting every invite EVAR, and them picking and choosing. XD.

Draft sounds good.

What are you gonna do for levels that are all over the place? I'm a level 22, but i wanna participate.

PlayNSkillz
Feb 6, 2007, 07:04 PM
On 2007-02-06 15:46, JAFO22000 wrote:
Perhaps you can do different events for different levels? Or, say lv1-15 can do a C run, 16-30 can do a B, 31-50 A run, 51+ S....? That doesn't seem fair. Seperation is the only way. I don't think a team with average level 35 would be able to compete with a team full of 65+'s. You may just have to have seperate events.

Agreed. We can have a light-weight, medium-weight, heavy-weight, and ummm, Ultra heavy-weight divisions according to the lvl range of the party members. People can choose their teams, but all of their teammates have to be within a certain range within the division.

So it's more like Group 1, division S competing against Group 2 and 3 of division S. All of them have to be level 51+

Wow, this sounds like fun now that I think about it. It's gonna take some serious organizing tho.

akratic
Feb 6, 2007, 07:08 PM
There needs to be at least one all protranser team.

Sychosis
Feb 6, 2007, 07:10 PM
On 2007-02-06 16:04, PlayNSkillz wrote:

On 2007-02-06 15:46, JAFO22000 wrote:

Agreed. We can have a light-weight, medium-weight, heavy-weight, and ummm, Ultra heavy-weight divisions according to the lvl range of the party members. People can choose their teams, but all of their teammates have to be within a certain range within the division.

So it's more like Group 1, division S competing against Group 2 and 3 of division S. All of them have to be level 51+

Wow, this sounds like fun now that I think about it. It's gonna take some serious organizing tho.

JAFO is just a mountain of great ideas. Smaller divisions sound great. Now to figure out whether to charge registration per character, or per account (one registration per 4 characters).

An event by the people, for the people. Just like I had hoped ::teary eyes::

PlayNSkillz
Feb 6, 2007, 07:35 PM
On 2007-02-06 16:08, akratic wrote:
There needs to be at least one all protranser team.

Well, it'll be up to the team's captain about who and who will be in his team. You can have a pure, 1 class team; all-hybrid class team; basic classes team (but really, who would do THAT? lol); all CASTS, etc and everything in between.

And think of what might happen. So we have all this data about mission completion time, levels, and the classes and races that were involved. I mean, with this info, we can confirm which combination of classes and races are best and which classes and races are best and ACHIEVE WORLD PEACE!!!

...that, or start a massive, Universe 15 genocide with a flame war between the races and classes....

However, I remain optimistic! Great concept, great organization, and great people will result in tremendous fun.

So we need to start a topic about the '07 Tour de PSU roster list. There we can have people submit/build their team rosters, have them approved, and admit "stragglers" into any incomplete teams they qualify for.

Unless you still want to talk about other methods.

omegapirate2k
Feb 6, 2007, 07:38 PM
On 2007-02-06 16:35, PlayNSkillz wrote:
...that, or start a massive, Universe 15 genocide with a flame war between the races and classes....

Genocide sounds fun.

Sychosis
Feb 6, 2007, 07:44 PM
I want to have the Sign Up topic up by Friday at the latest. Unfortunately I have an intro to business exam Thursday, however, having been through 9 business courses already, the course is really child's play at the moment.

Anywho, I would like to flesh out the details just a tad more, and since I have tomorrow off I should be able to get some things done. Conversing and exchanging thoughts with players in game, maybe even pitching the idea out to the bigger PSU forums (GameFAQs, Xbox.com, and the official forums)

omegapirate2k
Feb 6, 2007, 08:26 PM
I have a statistics midterm on friday :s

It's open book, though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oh, right, on topic... hmmm. I'll sign up whenever I just need to know when the event is happeneing (monday-thursday is out of the question for me.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: omegapirate2k on 2007-02-06 17:31 ]</font>

Sychosis
Feb 6, 2007, 08:30 PM
I would like to build upon the name used by PlayNSkillz and name the competition the "Tour de Gurhal"

Is that is ok with you Play? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2007-02-06 17:30 ]</font>

Ravennittes
Feb 6, 2007, 09:07 PM
I'd prefer that it be randomised, otherwise people would make 1337 teams, whereas it's prolly best if the teams learn to work together, and much more fair. IE, random means everyone has an equal shot at coming out on top from a statistics point of view.

PlayNSkillz
Feb 6, 2007, 10:42 PM
On 2007-02-06 17:30, Sychosis wrote:
I would like to build upon the name used by PlayNSkillz and name the competition the "Tour de Gurhal"

Is that is ok with you Play? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2007-02-06 17:30 ]</font>
Sounds perfect. Much better than Tour de PSU.

Sekani
Feb 6, 2007, 11:04 PM
Although I voted apathetic for shits and giggles, I like the idea of Players Choice with a "salary cap", as in total levels of all players couldn't be more than 300 or something.

You know, if this was an all-PSOW event though, I really don't think level differences will matter THAT much. For example, Arion (Shimarisu) is 57 levels of awesome, while Tahldon is 70 levels of failure. It balances out in the end.

Sychosis
Feb 6, 2007, 11:07 PM
On 2007-02-06 20:04, Sekani wrote:
For example, Arion (Shimarisu) is 57 levels of awesome, while Tahldon is 70 levels of failure. It balances out in the end.

You sir are wise beyond your years!

McLaughlin
Feb 6, 2007, 11:11 PM
As long as I can party with Yov, I'm good.

Sekani
Feb 6, 2007, 11:17 PM
I'm probably gonna sign up for staff duty just so I can declare Team Yov the winner.

Esufer
Feb 7, 2007, 06:51 AM
I'll go with anyone that wants me. ;]

Sychosis
Feb 7, 2007, 08:47 AM
The problem now is getting enough people to form at least 2 teams in each of the 4 Divisions http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Definitely going to have to hold each Division's races at different times so people with multiple characters can compete in more than one.

omegapirate2k
Feb 7, 2007, 08:57 AM
So... where would a level 56 male beast fighgunner fit into these divisions?

Sekani
Feb 7, 2007, 09:06 AM
Why not just have two divisions? 50-70 and 1-50. I know it seems lopsided, but I'm basing this on the "average" level of all the characters on my partner card list.

omegapirate2k
Feb 7, 2007, 09:08 AM
Personally, I don't even know if most chars under level 10 will be able to complete all the C ranked missions, much less afford the 10k enter fee (without having a high level alt)

Tahldon
Feb 7, 2007, 09:10 AM
On 2007-02-06 20:07, Sychosis wrote:

On 2007-02-06 20:04, Sekani wrote:
For example, Arion (Shimarisu) is 57 levels of awesome, while Tahldon is 70 levels of failure. It balances out in the end.

You sir are wise beyond your years!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif This hurts!

Anyways.. Dispite that you don't want to pick Scychosis, I think you should. You kinda sorta have a plan in the back of your mind as to how you want things to be organized.

I say go with the gut.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tahldon on 2007-02-07 06:13 ]</font>

Sychosis
Feb 7, 2007, 09:11 AM
If we want only two Divisions, they would have to be 55-70 (S ranks) and 1-54 doing...B ranks?

The way it is set up now has each Division spanning 14 (15 for the S rankers) levels. It just works out more evenly at the moment.

I've updated the tentative rules on the original thread which you can get to from any of the other threads. It needs a good bumping though anyway.

Sekani
Feb 7, 2007, 09:29 AM
On 2007-02-07 06:11, Sychosis wrote:
If we want only two Divisions, they would have to be 55-70 (S ranks) and 1-54 doing...B ranks?

The way it is set up now has each Division spanning 14 (15 for the S rankers) levels. It just works out more evenly at the moment.

More evenly levelwise, but I guarantee Division S is going to have more people than all the other three divisions combined. Especially if you're going with the entry fee, like someone else pointed out.

omegapirate2k
Feb 7, 2007, 09:33 AM
On 2007-02-07 06:11, Sychosis wrote:
I've updated the tentative rules on the original thread which you can get to from any of the other threads. It needs a good bumping though anyway.

The rules look solid, Sychosis, now all we need is a date to do it.