PDA

View Full Version : Story mode question

SkywalkerPSO
Feb 6, 2007, 12:00 PM
I was just playing story mode and i was wondering if there will ever be an update to story mode with new classes and maybe some new chapters. Just tell me if anyone finds out. Thanx!

rena-ko
Feb 6, 2007, 12:02 PM
story mode gets continued online, through socalled "episode 2 storymissions". they involve your online char as main protagonist and use a variety of NPCs to tell the story on.

SkywalkerPSO
Feb 6, 2007, 03:18 PM
I really would like to know if anyone reads this message because i am wondering if there will ever be a story mode update with new chapters, weapons, and job classes. If anyone knows please let me know thank you!

SkywalkerPSO
Feb 6, 2007, 03:19 PM
ok story mode wont be getting those classes or the other weps or new chapters. that sux lol

Eliash
Feb 6, 2007, 03:22 PM
By story mode, I'll assume you mean offline story mode. If that's the case, my answer would be to not keep your hopes up. There has never been any 'official' word about no content updates for offline, but it just seems very unlikely.

Anyhow, there IS an online story mode. I guess you can consider it an update with new chapters, weapons, and job classes...but you do need an online char to acess this. It takes place roughly a few months(?) after the end of the offline story mode.

Sychosis
Feb 6, 2007, 03:23 PM
The fact that my online character says absolutely NOTHING in the online missions really irks me.

This isn't Chrono Trigger!

SkywalkerPSO
Feb 6, 2007, 03:28 PM
ok i do have an online char but where r these missions? r they in the guardians headquarters?

Eliash
Feb 6, 2007, 03:28 PM
It's for the roleplaying aspect of the game. If you made a character that was very brave in combat and a leader, it would be weird to play through the story chapters and have your character turn out as a coward that can't lead their way out of a wet paper bag. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Akaimizu
Feb 6, 2007, 03:29 PM
It wouldn't because the Offline Modes do not have the regular Online classes. The Offline characters are *super* classes, basically capable of arming themselves with a larger combination of weapons than any online class, by itself.

You can technically arm yourself with a weaponset to act like one of the online classes, though I believe there is at least 1 or 2 expert classes you can't outfit your character like. You might have a hard time trying to set yourself with a Protranser or a Fi Gunner's setup.

Of course, you also have super class stats as well. An Offline Hunter is not the same as an Online one, etc.

Also note that you will unlock Extra Mode, starting after you beat the 4th chapter. You'll have access to all kinds of things. Still, extra mode character progress a lot faster than online ones, and they have a character level cap already at 100.

It'll take about a regular RPG length to finish off 1 extra mode character, instead of the hundreds of hours to get an Online character there. Everything is accelerated. So the bad news is, no expert classes. The good news is, that your Offline types are very diverse and powerful class combinations, in themselves.

Eliash
Feb 6, 2007, 03:30 PM
They are located on the fifth floor of the GUARDIANS colony. Talk with Mina at the desk to start them up. Each chapter (thus far) also gives you a partner card. Also note after level 60 S-ranking those missions for the first time (only) will grant up to 10 PA frags each. Currently the story mode goes up to chapter 4, however, Japan is reaching chapter 8 in the next update IIRC.

Akaimizu
Feb 6, 2007, 03:31 PM
On 2007-02-06 12:23, Sychosis wrote:
The fact that my online character says absolutely NOTHING in the online missions really irks me.

This isn't Chrono Trigger!

That's the issue. Your character is everything you made them up to be. As another just mentioned, it's not up to SEGA to dictate how your character would react to a given situation. I assure you, Tynselle's reactions alone would be probably quite different than SEGA would've ever imagined.

P.S. -- Don't get confused by this talk of chapters. Online chapters is a different number than Offline ones. The one I spoke of is Offline Chapter 4. There are 12 offline chapters. However, I think they might mess you up a bit by calling the first Online Story mission, Part or Chapter 2 and so on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-02-06 12:36 ]</font>

SkywalkerPSO
Feb 6, 2007, 03:37 PM
ok thank you guys for all the help. Even though I would like throwing blades on story and extra mode but hey.. I'll live. LOL.

Sychosis
Feb 6, 2007, 03:38 PM
I never said anything about having a predefined personality for your character. What I would love is dialog CHOICES. I want to choose what I say, not just nod my head and go with the flow. Severe limitations in actual roleplaying really bothers me in JRPGs, PSU included. It's one of the reasons I've stopped playing them. I just can't get into a character someone else made for me.

Akaimizu
Feb 6, 2007, 03:41 PM
True. You will pretty much never get those aspects in a Japanese RPG, and that goes for all of them. It's either, you play a particular character played out for you, or nothing. Dialogue choices, that is, true dialogue choices are not an element of the JPRG. The best you'll ever get is the old Ultima-style ones, where you simply page through dialogue choices simply to get information from people. However, it doesn't matter which one you pick as they're only page-holders for information on a pre-selected subject with no variation on how you treat the subject.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-02-06 12:42 ]</font>