PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Remember PSO's Shitty Updates?

PJ
Feb 9, 2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah. PSO's updates were shitty.

We got something once a month (And that's if we were lucky), and it was maybe one quest, that's it. And nobody would say how good or bad they were, they just seemed to happen.

All things considered, Sega of America is doing an AMAZING job with updates. For the most part, keeping it to a once a week periods (I know the next update is March 2nd, so 3 weeks, bite me), and usually definately more than one quest and other stuff each time.

Did people just grind less on PSO? Like, were people less retarded and not rushing their asses off to reach the cap, so they slowed down playing, so they could enjoy it longer? That's what it seems like. Nobody seems to know how to moderate their playing. They play so much, reach the cap, do everything in a rush. There's a REASON you're bored with the game. Slow the fuck down, and maybe do something ELSE. There's PLENTY to do in this game.

We were doing so well with the lack of bitching about updates, too, then all of a sudden, there's a, "Technical problem," resulting in us not getting our Ultimate PAs, and all hell breaks lose! "OH MY GOD SEGA TREATS US LIKE SHIT CAUSE I CAN'T WAIT 3 WEEKS! OH NOOOOOO!"

It seems like it's all this bitching that's resulted in NA BB not being updated at all. Everyone was all, "Wah wah, we aren't getting our updates fast enough," and they just THREW updates at the BB players cause of it, just kept doing it. And they STILL complained for a reason beyond my comprehension (Retardedism is my theory). I really hope that's the reason they haven't given those players anything new. It seems 90% of Phantasy Star players are whiney-bitch kids.

I really hope that's not the cause for no updates for PS2/PC servers, and they just exclusively working with 360 servers. I don't have the money, or the interest in a 360, and that'd just be total crap. (Not to mention, I like my screenshots, and all the 360 snapshots are total crap)

Scejntjynahl
Feb 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
PSO had updates? Get out of town clown. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I concurr. I remember that once TTF was released how that became the ultimate quest. And by golly, hardly anyone complained. We grinded that to the point of buying new memory cards to get new characters to grind it with. Of course its all bout the exp and the rares.

But mostly the fun.

People have forgotten how to have fun, and apparently want to be spoon fed "fun" because they cant possibly do this on their own anymore.

Solstis
Feb 9, 2007, 03:35 PM
I managed to get bored of PSU without ever getting close to the cap. I mean, it couldn't be the game... it must be the players. My inability to enjoy PSU must be a part of some deficiency within me.

Blah blah, pro-PSU rhetoric. Then again, I could blame everyone else and blame them for me not having fun, but I did play with Navi and dhyl (two very non-cap concerned players) and still found the game to be a waste of money.

I am not saying that WoW is better. I have never played WoW, and I find Guild Wars to be awful. EVE Online does not have the "omg, look what I just did" factor, but it is more enjoyable than PSU on the whole. It did not start out that way, though, but it has become a better game. PSU started off as a meh game, and the updates make it a longer meh game.

Also, why do I have to grind in order to afford a shop? What is up with that? I mean, I can sell things on eBay now without some permit from the government.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-02-09 12:38 ]</font>

Deja
Feb 9, 2007, 03:51 PM
Well, PSO was a complete game, and quests were just the same monsters but in different spawn types on the same levels. PW1-4 were nice, but that's all they gave us.

PSU came out barren, and they slowly built it up. I didn't mind month long updates on PSO, but on PSU it is downright wrong, since the game is not complete, and it ain't even CLOSE to complete. PSO came out with lvl 200 (GC version), all rares, all the time. THAT was fun, this isn't.

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 9, 2007, 05:14 PM
I don't really remember much since I didn't play PSO online besides the Dreamcast version. But yeah, I do agree that too many people here are complaining about this game.

Almalexia
Feb 9, 2007, 05:43 PM
My gripe with what's going on is it's taking people away......... So when they do stuff like this, it bugs me cause that's another 100 or so people walking out the door.

PSO had one great thing over PSU and that was rare item hunts.

PJ I think you can agree that with the comparing of PSU and PSO and all the "PSO was better than PSU in this and that" it suggest that a lot of us took PSO for granted.

PJ
Feb 9, 2007, 06:10 PM
Took for granted? What do you mean? Didn't rush their charactesr? That's what it sounds like.

I think it's pretty funny how I got tired of PSO. I know I was an excellent force (I know people aren't gonna agree with me, but after a certain point, I didn't play with any force that I thought was better than me), and then finally, after my want for PSU came up to a certain point, I just decided, "You know what? I wanna get to 200!"

It was discouraging. Partly cause of how much work needed to go into it, but to be honest, I guess I was jealous; my levelling buddy Snickerman and I stayed a pretty close level together, until he finally got his HOBO NEEDLE, with King's. At that point, it took me all day to level up (And that's WITHOUT stop playing); with that dealy he had right there, it probably took an hour, if even. And I just burned out from trying too hard. I finally stopped at either 182 or 183.

@Deja - 4 times longer for updates to come is acceptable? And it's not like an update came every month... and if it didn't come that month, it'd take another WHOLE month to release something (I remember, an update was always the last Tuesday of every month, which my school always had a delayed start on those days; so I'd always go online in the morning with Gaz to do the new stuff). I think a good period for updates to come was 2 or 3 months? I can't quite remember. But there was a LONG pause between Episode 2 Challenge and whatever came before that.

@Solstis - I'm not saying everyone has to like the game. Just a point of view.

VanHalen
Feb 9, 2007, 06:38 PM
i love this game updates or not i always find something to do. and im no whiney bitch kid either. this game has alot going for it and the only thing i wish for in this game were more people to see how much fun it is and come play. all and all i have no real complaints rare items are a problem cause 1. im not a high enough lvl to use any of the S ranks, 2. if i was i probably would have to wait since newman attack power isnt high, 3. in PSO i never really searched real hard for rare items. if i happened to find one i'd be happy wasnt a big deal to get one. i guess you and i PJ must both like this game equally http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Almalexia
Feb 9, 2007, 06:45 PM
On 2007-02-09 15:10, PJ wrote:
Took for granted? What do you mean? Didn't rush their charactesr? That's what it sounds like.

I suppose that was a bad choice of wording on my part. But basically some didn't appreciate PSO for what it is until now. See PSO topics were like this in the past. Now though with the comparison going on, PSO is treated like "the Messiah of Phantasy Star".

PJ
Feb 9, 2007, 06:50 PM
True. Everyone being all, "PSO is total shit, why are we playing?" now it's, "Why did I ever stop playing PSO http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif"

People make me laugh.

And yes VanHalen... if I didn't love this game to death, I wouldn't be arguing over such a triviality as people complaining about it.

Chuiji
Feb 9, 2007, 06:52 PM
In death, many are glorified.

EphekZ
Feb 9, 2007, 06:58 PM
I think it's human nature to find faults in something. Everyone does it. People just choose this becuase they know some people will agree and they don't have to look like an ass about it either. I mean fuck, someone actually bitched about all female PMs? wtf? there has to be just sheer boredom or stupidity to complain about that. I mean really!

Personally I don't care about the lack of updates, I played offline GC for the longest time, that's like "lol" only offline quests half are annoying as hell. no one to play with. you have to grind all by yourself. PSU atleast you get to play with good friends and what not.

DonRoyale
Feb 10, 2007, 12:42 PM
Too many people don't know when to shut the fuck up, seriously.

It's funny; everyone who I gamed with in Blue Burst-RubyEclipse, Strife, Remedy, hell, basically all of JeM that played on PSOBB-never complains like these n00bs do. Be thankful that you didn't get your Halloween two weeks late and for half the time you normally would have. >>

And @ PJ/Shiro=Lol contradictory, you never stop telling me I need to level up. *bursts out laughing*

Solstis
Feb 10, 2007, 03:34 PM
Er, the all female PM thing is a rational thing to complain about. People that don't complain are probably stiflingly fanatical.

Anyway, I have no great love for PSO, either. I mean, both are solid games, but I want a great game instead.

roygbiv
Feb 10, 2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah... I mean... nobody is saying that PSU is a worse game than PSO (well...) it's just that expectations for service, content, etc... are a lot higher now...

Nai_Calus
Feb 11, 2007, 04:14 AM
The thing with PSO is that the GC version at least came out as a full game. Outside of waiting for c-mode and the Towers quests... Yeah, basically you didn't need anything except some old quests from the DC days, and when new stuff did come out it was just a nice bonus and something to momentarily distract you from your TTF/HS/ET runs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif None of this 'Oh hay look! We'll let you use Shifta now' BS I keep seeing from PSU.

Actually, the stringing along of basic game modes? Annoyed the fuck out of me in Blue Burst, too. 'o hay u kin finally go 2 Ep2!'. Oh wow, Ult mode! Ep2! The same stuff that was available on my GC version from day one? Yeah, so impressed. I mean annoyed. >_>;

But yeah, on GC, it was nice when there were updates but meh, didn't really need them to add core features to the game, everything was in place. Yeah, the updates 'sucked' because all it ever was was a couple of new quests, yeah? Well, that's all it needed, they didn't make the game half-crippled at the outset and then bring the rest out later in the guise of 'new content'. In fact they later released a slightly updated version that fixed a few things(Like the shitty US snapshots) and added the one online-only area to offline, keeping the offline version from being half-crippled.

And then they fucked it up with BB, and after learning that people would put up with paying for half a game, did it again with PSU.

And as for people going 'Wah PSU sucks we never should have quit PSO'... I never actually quit PSO. Online, yeah, and I don't play it obsessively anymore, but... Yeah, I still play PSO, and offline GC will *never* get updates and I certainly can't do TTF offline or PW4, but y'know... PSO is a fun game in and of itself without needing a bunch of content updates or half the game released. Anything findable offline, I can eventually find. If I go crazy enough to play that much, I can get to L200. Get all L30 techs on all my Forces. There's no silly 'extra' mode that's nothing at all like the online mode. Yeah, offline has fewer and weaker enemies, but a L148 FOmar is a L148 FOmar. >_> And you can go play multimode if you want something a bit stronger. So... Yeah.

PSU, I just really don't like it. Too much that annoys the piss out of me. And yeah, I stopped playing it. I play games I like... Like PSO. XP

Sinue_v2
Feb 11, 2007, 06:10 AM
Phantasy Star Universe makes baby Alis cry.

Nai_Calus
Feb 11, 2007, 06:53 AM
On 2007-02-11 03:10, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Phantasy Star Universe makes baby Alis cry.

I think I love you.

AeraLure
Feb 11, 2007, 08:33 AM
On 2007-02-09 12:01, Scejntjynahl wrote:

People have forgotten how to have fun, and apparently want to be spoon fed "fun" because they cant possibly do this on their own anymore.

Nah, its more that PSU itself isnt all that fun. I enjoyed it for a while until the cheating took what little I was enjoying out of it. I'd have continued playing it were it not for that, because there are aspects I liked.

PSO, on the other hand, I played various iterations of for around 5 years and loved it. Players can get bored of any game, its just it took several orders of magnitude longer to get bored on PSO. The gameplay, sound and level design were simplay all around better than PSU, and that's the heart of any game.

I'm not trying to invoke a comparison topic. Each game had their things they did really well. PSU was mostly in character customization and development.

I simply dont see the point of the OP bashing PSO simply because he's tired of people complaining about the update schedule. Makes no sense. There's no relationship between the two on that ground at least. PSO was delivered as a complete game with the occasional online addition. PSU is built around the concept of regular updates off the locked disc content, but frankly, unlock it all and I'm not sure it makes PSU a better game - simply comes down to gameplay.

Neith
Feb 12, 2007, 06:54 AM
Anyone else remember on BB when we had about TEN WEEKS without updates? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

My expectations of Sega are lower now, if anything, PSO was a warning of things to come.

AeraLure
Feb 12, 2007, 08:43 AM
I dont expect anything from SEGA now. Five years of PSO and a couple years of development for PSU and they didnt address security in the least. They didnt learn a thing and they didnt change a thing in the way they react or the way they update for that matter either.

DraginHikari
Feb 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
The problem mostly is the way people view the market in this day and age.

When PSO came out it was really the first real Console online game on the market. People had very little expections and there was little rivality in the online game market. Dealing with cheating wasn't a proitory that or they didn't have a way to deal with it.

Those that stuck with PSO after Dreamcast were used to the type of service Sega was familiar with and were less bothered by it then other players that had gone to other games which other companies have found different ways to deal with what Sega couldn't or wouldn't.

By the time we got to BB. The market had changed so much in only six years, what was allowed and expected on the Dreamcast was no longer valid. In no timeframe has things in the gaming market changed like it has since 2000. People have developed a sense that they were owned much more then Sega was willing to give for the money. But most people who like PSO were willing to overlook the problem.

PSU is where you hit a bump in the road. It's not PSO, it's a new game so new people were drawn to it and PSO oldies didn't have the loyality towards it. Sega had not changed teh way it operates it's online games. With now liternally several dozen online games with different options and payments forms. What Sega's chosen to handle things doesn't fit 'good' service that people have come to expect.

Scejntjynahl
Feb 12, 2007, 12:59 PM

Of course PSO on GameCube was delivered as a "complete" game. Its an exact copy of the Dreamcast version. With an "added" EP2. >.>;; To expect it to be less of a game would be downright stupid.

PSU is a completely revamped game. I am quite sure that if most of us had no experience with PSO and played PSU first and then went to PSO we would be singing a completely different tune.

Also this continuos attempt to connect the whole franchise of Phantasy Star into one coherent timeline is getting obsessive. I mean, hell, even Capcom fails at keeping their own "best" series in cannon lore. But we still enjoy the game for what they are... games.

Same with PSU. We simply just demanded so much more that we fail to see what we did get. And since we (some of us) are Veteran's of PSO we have even a more skewed view.

The thing that just gets to be repetitive is the constant stream of "Im quitting" and yet they don't. There are a few of us that actually accept the limititations of PSU. But it gets to the point where we already know its flawed, we (generally speaking, I can not speak for everyone) just don't let it get to us.

Yes, I'm sure that if the game does become boring to me finally, I will just simply quit and go to other things.

As for now, I still find enjoyment in it. Even if it is not a "complete" game as many have taken such delicate time to demonstrate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scejntjynahl on 2007-02-12 10:03 ]</font>

Almalexia
Feb 12, 2007, 01:45 PM
But it gets to the point where we already know its flawed, we (generally speaking, I can not speak for everyone) just don't let it get to us.
True true and what I've said at the official boards. However we are labled "fanboys" because this.

LOLZ DIZ N00|3 REF|_|SE TO HATE THE GAME LEIK MEH, HE R FA||B0Y.

Scejntjynahl
Feb 12, 2007, 01:51 PM
On 2007-02-12 10:45, Almalexia wrote:

But it gets to the point where we already know its flawed, we (generally speaking, I can not speak for everyone) just don't let it get to us.
True true and what I've said at the official boards. However we are labled "fanboys" because this.

LOLZ DIZ N00|3 REF|_|SE TO HATE THE GAME LEIK MEH, HE R FA||B0Y.

I think I would laugh myself silly is someone called me "fanboy" or "noob" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sinue_v2
Feb 12, 2007, 02:37 PM
Also this continuos attempt to connect the whole franchise of Phantasy Star into one coherent timeline is getting obsessive.

Actually most of us have given that up for the time being. Mostly because there's just not enough evidence of any sort of a connection with PSO/PS. To a smaller digree, some of us don't want PSU to be connected to PSO/PS because it represents such a large departure from the theme and atmosphere of the original games. PSO, at least as far as Episode I, fit moderately well with the "chutulu" like manipulations of an ancient god/conciousness and with Rico's death gave us our bittersweet ending. Not to mention that PSO helped tie up one of the last remaining lose ends in the original series that PSIV couldn't (since PSIII took place after PSIV).

So even if PSO and PS are not offically linked, there is strong evidence for a link and an even stronger desire to link them. Phantasy Star Universe enjoys neither of these. So (for those of us who care about the stories) not only has it alienated PSO fans, it's also aliented fans of the original series.

Noob. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Jae
Feb 12, 2007, 02:52 PM
On 2007-02-09 12:01, Scejntjynahl wrote:
PSO had updates? Get out of town clown. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

That's the first thing I thought when I read this thread title. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif