PDA

View Full Version : What version of PSU to get?

jahutch
Feb 10, 2007, 07:43 PM
Hey all,

I own an Xbox 360 and a semi decent gaming PC. I currently have the 360 version of PSU from gamefly, am enjoying the single player, and am thinking of buying the game. I've got two questions though:

1) Should I buy the PC version or the Xbox 360 version? All things equal, I'd prefer to get it on X360, but if the servers are better / more populated on the PC side or something, I'm willing to go PC.

2) Assuming I buy the X360 version.. is used okay? I can "keep" the disc gamefly sent me for 22 bucks. But I know for some MMORPGS, where CD keys and such are involved, signing up online can be difficult with a used disc. I wouldn't think this would apply to the X360 version, but figured I'd better ask!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

omegapirate2k
Feb 10, 2007, 07:44 PM
I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole.

VanHalen
Feb 10, 2007, 07:46 PM
i say get which you want i not what other people say cause this one is gonna start i fight

jahutch
Feb 10, 2007, 07:50 PM
Oh really? Didn't know it was a touchy subject.. my apologies! Heh. My concern was just that some reviews cited very low population on the 360 servers - so low that the game might collapse or something. If that's the case, I'd rather go PC. Otherwise though, the couch and HDTV are preferable to my PC http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

How about the second question by the way?

Sychosis
Feb 10, 2007, 07:51 PM
1) 360, not going into details. With no RL friends on either version, get 360.

2) Used is fine.

Sychosis
Feb 10, 2007, 07:52 PM
The 360 version has a bigger population.

VanHalen
Feb 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
yeah sad but true they do http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif i wish it was even though with the friends i made and people i met on PC/PS2 it seems big to me just everyone stands around the HIVE

redcell
Feb 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
Unfortunately this can lead to a inanely heated debate, even if you are sincere in your pursuit for feedback. That said, do what works best for you! Do you have any xbox friends who you could play with? Or maybe on the PC? If that's not a concern, then definitely go with what you want. Every version has their pros and cons =) Also, welcome to PSU!

jahutch
Feb 10, 2007, 07:57 PM
Sychosis - thanks, just what I was looking for. Clear and concise http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. And 360 bigger pop - guess I just figured PC + PS2 > 360. That, and the reviews are wrong, or more likely, a lot changed since the review. Thanks again!

jahutch
Feb 10, 2007, 08:00 PM
Oh, and now that I've got the info I need, would it be helpful for me to delete this post... I don't like it when people start flame wars on a forum I frequent, and I had no intention of doing so here!

Look forward to seeing some of you in game... though I'll be doing single player a while longer first.

Dai-Kitana
Feb 10, 2007, 08:03 PM
360. A majority of the exploits are on PC/PS2 servers. As far as an account key goes, there is no account key. Only the JP version included an account key. The Euro / US version was excluded.

StratixEVO
Feb 10, 2007, 08:45 PM
No debate, just my support for 360 version here. One tip though, try the free beta on Live, but ignore the people on it, a lot of kids and punks playing for free. The real servers are great, only your occasional idiots http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif, which is better than your occasional idiots that are hacking/duping on PS2/PC.

Errorrrr
Feb 10, 2007, 09:07 PM
Dont' bad mouth PS2/PC http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I play on it... It's very enjoyable... the hacking/duping doesn't really affect the general population directly really... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Also... for PC you can play on window mode http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif so you can check PSO-World too XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Errorrrr on 2007-02-10 18:09 ]</font>

Sekani
Feb 10, 2007, 09:30 PM
Meseta duping, script kiddies, server crashes, and other issues have lead to something of an exodus of players from the US PC/PS2 servers. The remaining players are rightfully worried that their community may die off prematurely. That's why this is such a touchy subject.

The PC/PS2 servers are badly in need of new players. However, in their current state, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, especially considering you have to pay $10/month for the priviledge. The only exception I can think of would be if you have close friends already playing and you want to join them.

Errorrrr
Feb 10, 2007, 10:08 PM
I think the PC/Ps2 players should start a campaign that all new players on Pc/Ps2 will get 1 million meseta to start with http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

btw if you do get PC/Ps2... I can help you get started http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif so you don't have to farm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Errorrrr on 2007-02-10 19:09 ]</font>

VanHalen
Feb 10, 2007, 10:25 PM
yeah i got some and can get some stuff for you to start and the fact that people went out and BOUGHT(if you already had one this doesnt apply to you) a Xbox360 just to play PSU with no hackers is pretty sad. no game is worth switching to a $400 plus tax to play on another system.

EDIT: and its not like the PC/PS2 servers are on some "I Ethan'd j00! now your character is corrupt" stuff its just meseta and if you dont want to buy overpriced materials(though idk why you would buy materials from anyone when you can find them for free or if you must buy the NPCs sell them) you dont have too. a rarely buy from player shops. darnit now you see what you guys did you made me get into a agrument

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-02-10 19:28 ]</font>

BahnKnakyu
Feb 10, 2007, 11:36 PM
PC/PS2:

1) Inflated economy. This is a good and bad thing. Good because you can take advantage of it to get the NPC buyable stuff quickly and easily. Bad because the prices tend to be really stupid.
2) Hax are aplenty, mainly from the PC side.
3) Server population is smaller.
4) Better graphics (provided your gaming rig can provide a constant 60 fps with high settings)
5) Windowed mode lets you look stuff up while playing at the same time.
6) Shift-cancelling. Once the Ultimate PAs eventually come out this is a PC-exclusive "feature" you can abuse as a fT.

1) No hax.
2) Bigger server population.
3) Backed by Microsoft Live - which I heard is fairly rock solid.
4) 450 PM can't resta you - synth glitch bug still in. (What about the swimwear glitch?)

StratixEVO
Feb 10, 2007, 11:48 PM
On 2007-02-10 18:07, Errorrrr wrote:
Dont' bad mouth PS2/PC http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I play on it... It's very enjoyable... the hacking/duping doesn't really affect the general population directly really... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Also... for PC you can play on window mode http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif so you can check PSO-World too XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Errorrrr on 2007-02-10 18:09 ]</font>

How did I bad mouth it? (Although I'd gladly bad mouth it and the PS2 in general http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif ) I said I support the 360 version and that they both have some idiot players, but one is much more susceptible to idiots with too much "power" lol. Calm down, you play PSU, you win either way http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rashiid
Feb 10, 2007, 11:54 PM
On 2007-02-10 16:44, omegapirate2k wrote:
I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole.

XD i read this and 1st post i see, i end up dying on the floor laughing.....

but, on topic:

360: tough start, fun long run
PC/Ps2: easy start, then, ull probably have allot of things around mid-lvl (30s-40s)

jayster
Feb 10, 2007, 11:54 PM
On 2007-02-10 20:36, BahnKnakyu wrote:
PC/PS2:

1) Inflated economy. This is a good and bad thing. Good because you can take advantage of it to get the NPC buyable stuff quickly and easily. Bad because the prices tend to be really stupid.
3) Server population is smaller.
4) Better graphics (provided your gaming rig can provide a constant 60 fps with high settings)
5) Windowed mode lets you look stuff up while playing at the same time.
6) Shift-cancelling. Once the Ultimate PAs eventually come out this is a PC-exclusive "feature" you can abuse as a fT.

1) No hax.
2) Bigger server population.
4) 450 PM can't resta you - synth glitch bug still in. (What about the swimwear glitch?)

That sounds about right. I believe the 450 PM glitch has been fixed though. Today I saw 4 servers full plus about 6 random stars full throughout the game in random universes. So 360 is growing actually. My opinion is that the 360 > PC/ PS2 version but my opinion is also bias since I have the 360 version.

lokijam
Feb 11, 2007, 12:06 AM
why does noone mention the headsets? i switched from the ps2 version to the 360 for all the reasons mentioned above. and honestly the headsets make the biggest difference. i couldnt imagine playing this game w/out them. i mean besides just the bs'n that makes the game more enjoyable, bruces must be dam hard w/out the headsets. 360 ftw!!!!

Sekani
Feb 11, 2007, 12:10 AM
Voice chat is so broken in this game it isn't funny. And there are some anti-something people who hate actually talking (or hearing others talk).

lokijam
Feb 11, 2007, 12:22 AM
"so" broken is a bit of an exaggeration, it does start to get funky "sometimes" when theres a full pt. outside of that it works awesome "all" the time. and what does ppl not wanting to talk have to do with the headset being a bonus. theyre more than welcome to turn that option off. but it sounds to me like u dont play that often, id say 97% of the random pt's at least have one or two talkers in them,. thats fine by me.

pokefiend
Feb 11, 2007, 01:15 AM
On 2007-02-10 21:06, lokijam wrote:
why does noone mention the headsets? i switched from the ps2 version to the 360 for all the reasons mentioned above. and honestly the headsets make the biggest difference. i couldnt imagine playing this game w/out them. i mean besides just the bs'n that makes the game more enjoyable, bruces must be dam hard w/out the headsets. 360 ftw!!!!

A keyboard doesn't slow me down too much.

jahutch
Feb 11, 2007, 01:23 AM
Well all, thanks very much for all the information. I really appreciate it. Both sound like good options, but I'm gonna go with the 360, for a few reasons:

1) While I like MMORPGs on PC, this one seems more "action oriented," and as such I can see it being really enjoyable on a console.

2) I don't have a PS2 so that isn't an option.

3) There is a certain allure to playing this on my 42" HDTV w/ 5.1 home theater vs. my 20" monitor with stereo sound.

4) My PC is getting a little long in the tooth, and I'm frankly concerned about performance, an issue I don't have to worry about so much with the 360.

So I went ahead and did "Keep It" with gamefly, so its mine now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. I'll hop back on here and officially introduce myself when I start with the online portion of the game - for now, I'm still enjoying single player.

Thanks again for all the advice.. the community here is already striking me as solid, which is great.. I can think of a few games I'd have asked these questions and gotten no responses, or something like "ohnoes, not anothr n00b, lrn2ply!" Its refreshing to have intelligent and helpful people respond! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

huntlyon
Feb 11, 2007, 01:52 AM
this game just feels right on a console..

it also feels right with voicechat.. ever since moving from the DC to PSOX and skipping the GC...

voicechat sadly works pretty damn poorly on the 360 version, but typing is just a pain in the ass when speed is of the essence.. I fight, I buff, I debuff, I heal, I snipe on occasion... dicking around and typing just makes me sweat

desolant11
Feb 11, 2007, 02:15 AM
yeah watch out for psu360. sonic team abandond psoxbox after hackers got to it and because of how easy it is to mod a xbox, as soon as hackers crack the 360 version of this game, the hacking will be 10 times worse than it is on pc/ps2 because every 10 year old kid with a mod chip will be hacking there, instead of the few hacks on pc. the pc hacks have to have their stuff together. xbox hacks just need to have a xbox. i'll sum up my fears for you in two words...eternal christmas.

5IronDeath
Feb 11, 2007, 02:19 AM
Now that sounds scary...very scary.

desolant11
Feb 11, 2007, 02:23 AM
PC/PS2:

1) No hax.

pc/ps2
about point 2- theres only a few hackers and they get banned almost daily now. economy is slowly returning to normal. slowly mind you.

about point 6- so i heard there was a technical problem that delayed the release of the PAs..hmm. regardless, they'll fix this quick online.

point 1-just you wait a few more weeks. unlike pc/ps2 where just a few people are hacking and there is an attempt to control it. there wont be any hope for xbox when the hacks finally break it and xbox live is garbage just ask anyone who played psoxbox. haxzor land and eternal christams. lol

about point 3- youve never played psox obviously read above.

about point 4- all the PMs work fine on pc/ps2.

btw ps3 really makes this game run and look great.

Sychosis
Feb 11, 2007, 02:24 AM
On 2007-02-10 23:15, desolant11 wrote:
yeah watch out for psu360. sonic team abandond psoxbox after hackers got to it and because of how easy it is to mod a xbox, as soon as hackers crack the 360 version of this game, the hacking will be 10 times worse than it is on pc/ps2 because every 10 year old kid with a mod chip will be hacking there, instead of the few hacks on pc. the pc hacks have to have their stuff together. xbox hacks just need to have a xbox. i'll sum up my fears for you in two words...eternal christmas.

Wrong on many levels.

Sychosis
Feb 11, 2007, 02:26 AM
On 2007-02-10 23:23, desolant11 wrote:

PC/PS2:

1) No hax.

pc/ps2
about point 2- theres only a few hackers and they get banned almost daily now. economy is slowly returning to normal. slowly mind you.

about point 6- so i heard there was a technical problem that delayed the release of the PAs..hmm. regardless, they'll fix this quick online.

point 1-just you wait a few more weeks. unlike pc/ps2 where just a few people are hacking and there is an attempt to control it. there wont be any hope for xbox when the hacks finally break it and xbox live is garbage just ask anyone who played psoxbox. haxzor land and eternal christams. lol

Also wrong on many levels.

desolant11
Feb 11, 2007, 02:27 AM
On 2007-02-10 23:24, Sychosis wrote:

Wrong on many levels.

if you say so. i know for a fact because i was there from day 1 till doomsday.

desolant11
Feb 11, 2007, 02:28 AM
On 2007-02-10 23:26, Sychosis wrote:

On 2007-02-10 23:23, desolant11 wrote:

PC/PS2:

1) No hax.

pc/ps2

Also wrong on many levels.

i dont want to start a war here, but i'm exactly right about everything iv'e said here and i'm speaking from a million hours of experiance.

Sychosis
Feb 11, 2007, 02:36 AM
The Xbox 360's architecture is nothing like the original's. There is no mod chip and they haven't been able to make one for months. The entire Xbox modding scene doesn't even know where BIOS information is stored yet. That being said, the 360 version was "cracked" already. Said person already came by PSOW and made it quite clear that to hack the 360 you need to posses a modicum of skill far beyond that of normal script kiddies.

Additionally, mod chips have been out on PS2 for years, yet the vast majority of hacking comes from the PC. Why? All you need is a cheat engine and the right values, and bingo bango. PC hacks DO NOT require you to have your stuff together.

About hackers getting banned. They only get banned if reported. They aren't reported if they aren't caught cheating. Wrap your mind around that for a few seconds. Not to mention without a serial key, coming back is easy as cake.

They haven't been able to fix shift canceling on the JP version yet, what makes you think they will now?

Xbox Live is garbage huh? Sounds like all your "experience" is experience in fanboyism.

You never played PSU360, and therefore have 0 knowledge of what is going on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2007-02-10 23:38 ]</font>

Spellbinder
Feb 11, 2007, 02:41 AM
It has begun..... console combat!!!

Sychosis
Feb 11, 2007, 02:43 AM
No offensive here, just defense.

Defending the PC version is fine by me. But defending the PC version by attacking the 360 version is not.

omegapirate2k
Feb 11, 2007, 02:46 AM
And now you see why this issue is one I'm staying away from XD

desolant11
Feb 11, 2007, 02:46 AM
mod chip for 360 is currently in development by multiple companies.

i'm not a fanboy i own all systems. and i have played psu360.

mark me on this...people who have left pc to play psu360 will soon be upset that they wasted double time spent to realize a worse hacked product in the end.

and don't worry becuase soon the mad here that plays 360 will delete my posts like they did last time i said something negative about 360. if you wanna talk about fanboy hes it.

technicly speaking 360 is garbage.

i think you forgot to mention the horrific lag the 360 version has due to voice chat. and ther reason there's any population conversations at all is because microsoft only wanted xbox live people to be able to play with other xboxers. stupid if you ask me, everyone lost on this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desolant11 on 2007-02-10 23:48 ]</font>

Dhylec
Feb 11, 2007, 02:47 AM
Well, the future for this thread isn't bright, but let's proove me wrong. Just rmember, console war is strictly discouraged here.

Sychosis
Feb 11, 2007, 02:48 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Sure chief.

-Crokar-
Feb 11, 2007, 02:51 AM
i wasnt going to comment in here but come on. i get no lag hardly at all and if i do its my connection trying to run 4 different thing at the same time.. if we were stuck with the pc/ps2 we'd be screwed with everyone so everyone would be pissed.at least there is a place to go where there isnt cheating like mad. you act like you know everything and are superior. in all reality you dont know half the stuff you think you do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Crokar- on 2007-02-10 23:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Crokar- on 2007-02-11 00:02 ]</font>

Errorrrr
Feb 11, 2007, 02:52 AM
On 2007-02-10 23:24, Sychosis wrote:

Wrong on many levels.

I think it does make sense... Is there a PSUXBOX JP?? or the JP PSU is PC/PS2 only?? if that's the case, it makes sense that ST would abandoned Xbox360 ver once the hack breaks out. I mean ST should of abandoned the PC/PS2 long time ago, but they also support JP PSU as well, and the only thing they need to do is port it into english... but as for Xbox360, they have to write new codes for it, so I dont' think they'd go out of their way and try to fight against the hack on xbox360 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Sychosis
Feb 11, 2007, 02:54 AM
Yes there is a JP PSU360.

I've played with a few of them already. They have even claimed Uni 16 and it gets 2 stars most of time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2007-02-10 23:57 ]</font>

desolant11
Feb 11, 2007, 02:56 AM
On 2007-02-10 23:47, Dhylec wrote:
Well, the future for this thread isn't bright, but let's proove me wrong. Just rmember, console war is strictly discouraged here.

sorry, i'm just saying what i know already to be proven true. wasn't trying to start anything.

Sychosis
Feb 11, 2007, 02:57 AM
On 2007-02-10 23:56, desolant11 wrote:

On 2007-02-10 23:47, Dhylec wrote:

sorry, i'm just saying what i know already to be proven true. wasn't trying to start anything.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I like you man ::hugs desolant11::

desolant11
Feb 11, 2007, 03:01 AM
[/quote]

I think it does make sense... Is there a PSUXBOX JP?? or the JP PSU is PC/PS2 only?? if that's the case, it makes sense that ST would abandoned Xbox360 ver once the hack breaks out. I mean ST should of abandoned the PC/PS2 long time ago, but they also support JP PSU as well, and the only thing they need to do is port it into english... but as for Xbox360, they have to write new codes for it, so I dont' think they'd go out of their way and try to fight against the hack on xbox360 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

[/quote]

if you do some research on this, you will find that sega and microsoft do not now, nor have ever had a good working relationship. basicly sonic team can't stand microsoft or xbox. they loved game cube best after dreamcast. they, themselves played the gamecube version of the game.

jahutch
Feb 11, 2007, 03:20 AM
Hey guys, seriously... lets stop the war now! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I've decided to go for the X360 version for the reasons I listed. I wish everyone played together myself, seems a silly decision by MS, but it is the way it is. If later on I want to switch to PC, I can - I'll have to start over but its not the end of the world. For now I'm gonna go with the 360 version.

So, since I've made up my mind, and purchased my rental copy from GameFly, the purpose of this thread no longer exists. No reason to continue the war! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I don't want to be responsible for a war on a forum I just joined!

Sychosis
Feb 11, 2007, 03:24 AM
The war already ended. See? I already hugged des!! We're good pals now.

desolant11
Feb 11, 2007, 03:26 AM
On 2007-02-11 00:24, Sychosis wrote:
The war already ended. See? I already hugged des!! We're good pals now.

yeah i was never mad, and i'm not fighting for someones soul here either. play whatever system you like. as long as its PC/PS2 lol j/k http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sychosis
Feb 11, 2007, 03:30 AM
It's official.

Sychosis: 1
Dhylec: 0

When you hop online TC let me know your GT, I know a couple lowbies you can team up with. Not to mention you might get some goodies from me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2007-02-11 00:31 ]</font>

Almalexia
Feb 11, 2007, 10:17 AM
It doesn't even matter to me, and wont matter in approx. 9 days.

Sinue_v2
Feb 11, 2007, 01:09 PM
sonic team abandond psoxbox after hackers got to it and because of how easy it is to mod a xbox, as soon as hackers crack the 360 version of this game, the hacking will be 10 times worse than it is on pc/ps2 because every 10 year old kid with a mod chip will be hacking there

Wrong.

When cheating first occured on Ep I & II, it came from the Xbox side due to modchips which allowed it. However, the level of actual cheating (once the master code for PSONGC was found) was far, far greater than anything the Xbox cheat scene produced. Expecially since the infamous "Double Save Patch" Sega implimented on the NGC servers which corrupted characters indescrimantely by placing a save at a common FSOD point. Cheaters on the NGC later found a way to exploit this by forcing an FSOD at that point when you joined their games, and later by FSODing you and forcing the save. And yes, I played both. Extensively. I actually switched to the Xbox version after the cheating and constant risk of corruption got too bad on the NGC. (Well, first I went to FFXI, and then came back to PSO on Xbox).

if you do some research on this, you will find that sega and microsoft do not now, nor have ever had a good working relationship.

Wrong again.

Sega and Microsoft actually have quite a good working relationship. Durring the Dreamcast's development cycle, Sega approached Microsoft to have them build a set of DC compatable DirectX tools for the Dreamcast which would allow PC developers to port their games over more easily. Hence the "compatable with Windows CE" logo on the front of your Dreamcast. After the "death" of the Dreamcast, Sega was again approached by Microsoft - this time with the proposition of taking them on as a first party developer. Sega almost accepted the offer, however the deal fell through (I've heard about them wanting to make Xbox backwards compatable with the DC and MS refusing).

When Sega divided, they devided evenly across the remaining hardware platforms. Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft. The development houses were not devided up by "which hardware they liked better", but by a decision of weither or not that companies products fit the console's prospective audience. Sonic Team went with Nintendo because that is where the majority of platform gamers and old-school gamers who enjoyed Sonic would be headding. The Xbox, however, was not neglected by Sega - and recieved many classics in this time period; such as Shenmue 2 (which they bought the US publishing rights for), Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, House of the Dead III, ToeJam & Earl III, ect... very big names for Sega franchises.

As a property of Sonic Team, Phantasy Star Online went to Nintendo. This was actually planned out far in advance - before the Dreamcast was even pronouced "dead". Originally the plan was to simply port v.2 over to the NGC and link up the DC and NGC servers - but rampant cheating on v.2 squelched the idea, and Ep I & II was developed as a result of no longer being tied down by having to have similar textures and data on both platform versions. So Phantasy Star Online launches in the US - and Nintendo completely drops the ball on them. Within a few months, Nintendo severs any plans they have for a solid online community and limits/stops production on the modems. They also fail to provide either a keyboard or an adaptor for the western markets, nor is interested in bringing the co-developed ASCII controller/keyboard over. PSO NGC users are stuck either offline, or online with only the software keyboard to chat with. Even basic simple communication was a horrible pain the ass until a few ingenious homebrew adapter came out. (in fact, I used to play with the maker of the Indiglo adapter).

Due to Nintendo's shunning of online play, and lack of ambition to follow through on their promises - PSO on the NGC fails to reach even Dreamcast level sales numbers or online subscribers in the US/EU.

Now, while Ep I & II was still in development for the NGC, the Xbox version is announced. This isn't because Sega or Sonic Team wanted to spread the game - more like Microsoft payed Sega to bring the title over so that it would have an online RPG title to help flesh out their fledgling Xbox Live service. Their lack of support for the Xbox version was due mainly to the fact that PSOX actually never should have been - and was just a placeholder for Microsoft until Live got up and on it's feet. Updates were spread thin, and well behind their NGC counterparts. They were an afterthought, because the game itself was an afterthought.

PSO Ep III C.A.R.D began development shortly after Ep I & II launched, when Sonic Team was still bound soley to Nintendo. However it wasn't long afterward that Sega realized the division of development houses by hardware wasn't working out - and restructured, followed closely by a Sammy buyout. Ep III continued it's development and was released on the Cube, but was not followed up by any other new Phantasy Star Online title... simply a rerelease of Ep I & II with a few online quests made available offline and some glitches fixed - but no new content (PSO+). While it would have sold fairly well on the NGC, Blue Burst was later created soley for the PC, a platform it has previously done very poorly on.

And contrary to "GameFaqs" belief - which it sounds like you're from - PSU was never in development for the NGC. Ever. Nor are they're any plans on porting it to the Wii. It has always been a PS2/PC planned title, with X360 version ported once the development kits were made available (X360 hardware obviously wasn't around in 2001/2002 when PSU began development - and thus they couldn't originally co-develop it for that hardware).

Now beyond that - Sega has shown strong support for the 360 this generation, with Full Auto and Condemned at Launch, Chromehounds shortly afterward, and PSU/Sonic currently. As well as others, to make no mention of the Live Arcade titles they have planned. And it's not like Sega had abated their development for the previous gen Xbox either. Of course they developed more PS2 titles later in the generation (since by that point the PS2 was the clear winner of that console war), but development for the Xbox remained unabated - including full-on support from Sonic Team.

So no.. I don't see how you could say that Sega and MS have a bad working relationship. Peter Moore (the ex-president of Sega of America durring the Dreamcast time) is working for Microsoft now for fuck's sake.

I'm not trying to make the point that "OMG NINTENDO SCRWED SEGA IN ONLINE SO NOW THY LUV M$", but rather the point that Sega is a goddamned buisness, and that they follow the money. They are supporting all three consoles this generation - and the only reason they didn't do that to begin with last gen (after dropping out) is because they were so far in the red that they didn't have the extra cash to waste on extra hardware SDK's and multiplatform porting. Sonic Team didn't support Nintendo because they "liked" them... they supported Nintendo because they were TOLD TO by corperate. Weither they liked them or not is irrelevant, because you can't base their likes on their public statements. Yuji Naka is not going to develop games for the NGC and then bash the NGC hardware publicly... are you nuts? He's going to talk it up and say he loves to both stay on Nintendo's good side and sell his games.

GruesomeWolf
Feb 11, 2007, 09:09 PM
Boom, Headshot!

McLaughlin
Feb 11, 2007, 09:36 PM

Yeah. Except, you know. If you mod an Xbox and take it on Live, you're banned before you even finish signing in. That's a MAC ban by the way.

Hell, the only reason there was hacking on PSOX was because they altered their character offline and then reverted to the original Dashboard to go back online after everything was augmented.

By the by, PSOX was dropped because Microsoft no longer supports the Xbox. Last I checked, we'll still have servers in Arpil, unlike the Gamecube.

I'm not trying to start a war here, but I couldn't let that go.

McLaughlin
Feb 11, 2007, 09:43 PM
Sinue: 1
The rest of us: 0

Neith
Feb 11, 2007, 10:01 PM
Mass exodus? What a load of rubbish.

A few drama-queens have quit over the h4x, but the community's still half-decent, I guess. Yes, there's h4x on the PC/PS2 servers, but I refuse to believe anyone who says the X360 version is hack-free.

If Sega's past experiences are anything to go by, they'll end up forgetting they even have an X360 server, and they'll be stuck on Christmas for years http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif , just like XBox PSO.

The population is only bigger on X360 because JP players are on the same server, whereas they're seperated from us on the PC/PS2 version, so that point isn't valid anyway.

They're both alright versions, good and bad things on each (how many kids do you really wanna listen to on voice chat on X360) or (omgwtfh4x allegations wholesale on PC).

NPCMook
Feb 11, 2007, 10:06 PM
Voice chat can be painful at times... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Sometimes I join a party and hear Squeek Squeek and nearly throw my headset across the room just so my ears won't bleed

McLaughlin
Feb 11, 2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks for not reading ANYTHING in the topic Uriko.

You can't even fill a server. Quite a few drama queens. When I need to pay several thousand meseta for a photon I can find within 30 seconds of looking, the economy has gone to shit.

Again, Microsoft no longer supports The Xbox (not XBox), and as such, games that are not backwards compatible are left to themselves. At least we'll have servers in April.

As many people mocked before the game launched; How many people in Japan actually have a 360? Seems you lot thought you could count them on one hand, so you can't use them as a buffer. We didn't get a server's worth of JP players, I'll tell you that.

THE XBOX 360 IS HACK-FREE. You can live in la-la land for as long as you want, but the sky's falling all around you while you take another puff. The 360 is the perverbial Ark to the PC/PS2's 40 days and nights.

And again, YOU CAN MUTE THE MOTHER****ERS. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH VOICE CHAT.

VanHalen
Feb 11, 2007, 10:22 PM
i request a lock for this

NPCMook
Feb 11, 2007, 10:27 PM
unfortunately Knight, you have to hear the ear piercing squeek before you realize they need to be muted

And there is one thing wrong with voice chat, and its not a lag issue, some people simply can't hear others in the group even if they move to a different less populated Universe. That is the ONLY issue with voice chat

McLaughlin
Feb 11, 2007, 10:33 PM
Yeah, that anomaly is a bugger. It's also why I own a USB keyboard http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Desolant, we can take this to FKL, where your posts won't be deleted. If you want.

Ketchup345
Feb 11, 2007, 11:11 PM
Ok, I'm verbally locking this topic. This thread did not seem to improve after Dhylec posted his comment.
Anyone who posts after me will get a warning.

Also, I noticed some people double posting. Please use the edit button instead of posting twice in a row.