PDA

View Full Version : Rant: I gotta say, they coulda done better...

SolomonGrundy
Feb 11, 2007, 10:19 PM
So, I'm going through all the new quests (on C rank mind you), and it just kinda struck me...Sega could have made PSU a lot better.

As it stands now, there are so many areas locked away behind megids or locked away behind hordes of 1/2 damage type monsters, or simply locked away from those who don't have high end gear (and let's face it, not many do), that when you think about those folks who can only casuall play...they really don't get much out of the experience.

Consider: the A rank missions are dropping B rank equipment

Consider: only two races/classes have a good chance at getting immune to megids, and even then, this requires armor that is difficult to synth.

Consider: Synth time are silly long, grinding breaks weapons, and if you play the game legitly, money is uber hard to come by.

All these things add up, and take away from the experience of *playing* the game. I shouldn't be stuggling to complete C rank missions at level 54, even if I am soloing.

even "signature" weapons, which I was hoping would do *something, don't really make a difference. I made an axe. I bought the 2nd PA (emptying my bank in the process), then marched down to linear line to level up the PA, and was UNDERWHELMED with the damage/animation. 1000 atp, = 200 damage. great. Too bad my B rank sword has 400 ATP, good %'s, and double the ATA.

VanHalen
Feb 11, 2007, 10:25 PM
i like the synth time things cause remember rome wasnt built in a day and neither was the doublesaber

and also im not sure but are you mad the missions are a challenge?

Reginaldo
Feb 11, 2007, 10:42 PM
First off: http://www.pso-world.com/viewforum.php?forum=11

Second: How many more whining topics are going to be made today?

VanHalen
Feb 11, 2007, 10:43 PM
On 2007-02-11 19:42, Reginaldo wrote:

How many more whining topics are going to be made today?

about hmm 5 more all about the same thing

SolomonGrundy
Feb 11, 2007, 11:03 PM
On 2007-02-11 19:25, VanHalen wrote:
i like the synth time things cause remember rome wasn't built in a day and neither was the doublesaber

and also im not sure but are you mad the missions are a challenge?

I'm not mad...I'm dissapointed, there are a lot of things in this game that discourace the casual player. And if folks think there are too many topics like this, well...what does THAT tell you?

@Dead horse society - mods, please feel free to move this topic there.

Reginaldo
Feb 11, 2007, 11:12 PM
All it shows me is how sad people are. This isn't even that challenging of a game. Challenging games ended well before the 32 bit era even started.

Sephlock
Feb 11, 2007, 11:13 PM
On 2007-02-11 19:19, SolomonGrundy wrote:1/2 damage type monsters

What? You mean like robots (which take half damage from bullets)? If so, what other monsters fit into this category, and what do they take half damage from?

Consider: only two races/classes have a good chance at getting immune to megids, and even then, this requires armor that is difficult to synth.

Which 2 races, which classes, which armor, and in what combination(s)?

Consider: Synth time are silly long, grinding breaks weapons, and if you play the game legitly, money is uber hard to come by.

Not to mention Synth failures... can you imagine any real life business based on an industrial process with such a high failure rate?

All these things add up, and take away from the experience of *playing* the game. I shouldn't be stuggling to complete C rank missions at level 54, even if I am soloing.

What Race/Class/Gender are you?

I'm guessing Cast Fortegunner.

even "signature" weapons, which I was hoping would do *something, don't really make a difference. I made an axe. I bought the 2nd PA (emptying my bank in the process), then marched down to linear line to level up the PA, and was UNDERWHELMED with the damage/animation. 1000 atp, = 200 damage. great. Too bad my B rank sword has 400 ATP, good %'s, and double the ATA.

I had a long winded response, complete with in depth analysis, but then I realized that it all amounts to: "I agree", so I deleted it and replaced it with this.

VanHalen
Feb 11, 2007, 11:14 PM
mainly what reginaldo said but this game is a challenge to me though

me: alright time to kick some @$$
*five of those grinna beats walk in*
me: *kills one* one down four to go
*two more come*
me: T_T

and i like the challenge and some of the long stuff and i am a causual gamer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-02-11 20:16 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Feb 11, 2007, 11:14 PM
Well, I still get killed by Megid and it does 0(if damage even registers) to me every time.

Tay
Feb 11, 2007, 11:34 PM
I told u I waz hardcore

SolomonGrundy
Feb 11, 2007, 11:43 PM
What? You mean like robots (which take half damage from bullets)? If so, what other monsters fit into this category, and what do they take half damage from?

A: Robots take 1/2 from bullets AND melee. Tengohs take 1/2 from melee. Polhavara's seem to take 1/2 from melee, but them again, they have multiple hit locations, so they may just have very high DFP. The dark 'bunny' looking tings in the hive take half from guns. The sorcers in the hive take 1/2 from melee

[/quote]

Which 2 races, which classes, which armor, and in what combination(s)?

Humans/Newman can attain Megids immunity. Newmans can do it as a Wartecher/Guntecher/ForteTecher. Humans can do it as Fortetecher and possible wartecher. High% dark armor and high level/job level is req'd

Not to mention Synth failures... can you imagine any real life business based on an industrial process with such a high failure rate?

real life does have some decent amount of "synth failure" - but this is not real life, it's a game. And waiting 45 mins for a crap c rank armor (never mind waiting DAYS for a B rank armor), seems crazy - especially when you know the things gonna fail http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

What Race/Class/Gender are you?

I'm guessing Cast Fortegunner.

As my sig says, I'm a Beast Fortefighter. But I can see casts Fortegunner having a similar problem. At least Casts have DOTs.

I had a long winded response, complete with in depth analysis, but then I realized that it all amounts to: "I agree", so I deleted it and replaced it with this.

werd.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

VanHalen
Feb 11, 2007, 11:47 PM
well if certain monsters didnt take half damage from things then this game would have no teamwork and make it easy for everyone to solo. and the whole point of a online game is to meet people.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-02-11 20:47 ]</font>

_Vyser_
Feb 12, 2007, 12:08 AM
Thus why I like fighgunner, I can avoid those "1/2 damage" problems with the weapons I can use. Anyway, just get used to attack patterns and don't get hit. I solo stuff all the time with rare deaths and that's because I know what the monsters do, and I also bring weapons that are best for the monsters in the area. Try experimenting with different weapons/PA's to figure out which is best for what.

Yes, I know you are a beast and a fortefighter, but try using a pistol on those flying mobs. If you can't hit them easily, then just use accurate weapons and/or spam rising-type PA's

Hope this somewhat helps

RS
Feb 12, 2007, 12:17 AM
I wouldn't say the whole point of a online game is meeting people, although it's a good point. I do like to solo at times just to hunt for rares that i'd like to keep instead of share and it does seem that PSU is less solo-friendly than previous episodes.

Gryffin
Feb 12, 2007, 12:26 AM
On 2007-02-11 21:17, RS wrote:
I wouldn't say the whole point of a online game is meeting people, although it's a good point. I do like to solo at times just to hunt for rares that i'd like to keep instead of share and it does seem that PSU is less solo-friendly than previous episodes.

Yeah, I didnt think I'd be meeting people via PSU...
BUT

Through some miraculous turn of events, I walked up and just shake danced in front of a random person..and now said person is in my cell phone contacts, one of my 'top buddies' on AIM and someone I consider a close friend..

And then I met another close set of friends..3 or 4.. Keep in mind this was all within my first month too.

the fact that I met someone like said person on PSU makes me want to stay with it, support it, and offer insightful comments as much as I can.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

VanHalen
Feb 12, 2007, 12:43 AM
thats awesome gryffin but when i meant meet i didnt mean it as seeing them in real life i meant as in in the game ^_^" . but i made a really cool friend on my 1st day. for being his friend since the begining he gave me a earth hanzo http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif it was the 1st A rank weapon he made.

Gryffin
Feb 12, 2007, 01:09 AM
Well, I DID meet them IN GAME http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And btw, we havent met in real life yet..we just talk alot http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SolomonGrundy
Feb 12, 2007, 04:28 AM
On 2007-02-11 21:08, _Vyser_ wrote:
Thus why I like fighgunner, I can avoid those "1/2 damage" problems with the weapons I can use. Anyway, just get used to attack patterns and don't get hit. I solo stuff all the time with rare deaths and that's because I know what the monsters do, and I also bring weapons that are best for the monsters in the area. Try experimenting with different weapons/PA's to figure out which is best for what.

let's not be silly, I know how to play the game. I use a ice bullet on a 6* yohemi handgun with level 10 ice bullets. I do a whopping 180 pts a shot.

Not great when our hero, the tengoh, has 10K Hitpoints on B rank...and there are 23 in the Onmagog runs.

It's not really about the 1/2 damage creatures though, it's more about the game in general, being quite hard on the casual player.