PDA

View Full Version : In Japan you get a Serial Key ban, but what about in NA?

McLaughlin
Feb 12, 2007, 11:30 PM
So, as we're are all likely aware, the JP are cracking down on hackers on their servers with Serial Key bans.

How're they gonna ban people here without a key to block? MAC banning everyone would seem like the only other option, but that seems like it'd be a real pain.

Any insight?

Shinzakura
Feb 12, 2007, 11:37 PM
Naaah, they'll just give you a serial key then ban that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Seriously, I suspect it'll be a MAC ban, as that's the only real avenue that they have to blocking people at that stage, and even then, there are workarounds. I think they shot themselves in the foot without some sort of serial key, but what's done is done.

Aixiao
Feb 12, 2007, 11:39 PM
If by 'MAC Ban', you mean ban their IP address permanently, then yes, I agree. That seems the best way to get rid of them.

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 12, 2007, 11:42 PM
They don't just IP ban, they hardware ban. Because you can change your IP address

THE JACKEL

pineapple
Feb 12, 2007, 11:44 PM
It's easier to change your mac address

Aixiao
Feb 12, 2007, 11:46 PM
Mm, I see.

On Monster Hunter (PS2), you were only allowed 3 Accounts on one PS2. After the 3rd, (if you were banned) you could never sign on that PS2 ever again.

What kinda ban would that be, hardware?

(Forgive my ignorance on the terminology.)

Sekani
Feb 12, 2007, 11:48 PM
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sekani on 2007-02-12 20:57 ]</font>

Tomeeboy
Feb 12, 2007, 11:50 PM
By "Mac ban", he means banning of the unique Mac address that is assigned to the computer the person is playing from. It's an address that is assigned to the actual hardware, rather than their connection to the internet, so it's not so easy to get around.

More info on Mac Addresses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_address

Mac banning would probably work to an extent, but they should probably do a combination of bans just to cover as many work-arounds as possible. They can ban IP addresses, obviously, as well as billing addresses and credit cards. I think that banning all of things things would at least make it a hassle for somebody to get another account. I'd be willing to bet that the average exploiter won't have the resources to keep getting back online repeatedly.

Genji
Feb 12, 2007, 11:51 PM
While I doubt SEGA will go this route, a possible solution would be to set up a exchange system in which you send your copy of the game in and they mail you a new disc with a serial key.

And banning a MAC address won't work. You can easily change your MAC address if you know your way around Windows XP.

foamcup
Feb 13, 2007, 12:06 AM
On 2007-02-12 20:44, pineapple wrote:
It's easier to change your mac address

Yeah, my router has an option to change the MAC, plus I have two network adapters on my PC anyway. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I'm not teh haxxor though, so I'm not worried about it.

Schubalts
Feb 13, 2007, 12:36 AM
Credit card bans get my vote! Yea, let's see you cheat again if you have to find a new credit card every time you get banned, hobags!

VanHalen
Feb 13, 2007, 12:40 AM
On 2007-02-12 21:36, Schubalts wrote:
Credit card bans get my vote! Yea, let's see you cheat again if you have to find a new credit card every time you get banned, hobags!

the only problem with that is you can just go to your local CVS and pick up a gift card and get right back on

Schubalts
Feb 13, 2007, 12:48 AM
On 2007-02-12 21:40, VanHalen wrote:

On 2007-02-12 21:36, Schubalts wrote:

the only problem with that is you can just go to your local CVS and pick up a gift card and get right back on

I didn't think ST accepted those cards.

RuinedReBirth
Feb 13, 2007, 12:49 AM
First off, Mac address spoofing is extremely easy to do - even easier to do with Vista. Without a serial key, there is no way to make a proper ban. Credit card ban? Pft - suck. Just get another. Gift card maybe? IP ban? Most IPs you receive are automatically received by the DHCP. Yeah, a static IP maybe be cool - but that's even worse in this case. Router IP or IP from your ISP - doesn't matter. IP banning would do absolutely nothing.

Errorrrr
Feb 13, 2007, 12:50 AM
i believe NA ST bans your credit card.

Aixiao
Feb 13, 2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I believe ST didn't accept gift cards. Only credit and debit...

What I think should happen...

If you get caught cheating multiple times (it'd have to be like 2-3, cuz alot of us might have duped Creas and not even know it), they should send a report that messes with your credit or something.

Dunno how it'd work, but I think it'd be more of a deterrent.

Zer0_ConvoY
Feb 13, 2007, 12:55 AM
ban by info on card, if you ban all subscribers who are jimmy hobags at 142 bums st., bumsville 11543 then even prepaid cards are out of the question as most internet purchases require you to register your info to use the card

Genji
Feb 13, 2007, 01:06 AM
Gift cards with a Visa logo should work just fine. They're treated similar to debit cards.

Example:

http://www.acauction.com/images/500visagiftcard.gif

PMB960
Feb 13, 2007, 01:38 AM
Honestly though if you had to pay $10 for a new credit card every week just so you could dupe weapons in a game would it really be worth it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PMB960 on 2007-02-12 22:38 ]</font>

Aixiao
Feb 13, 2007, 01:41 AM
During X-mas time, I considered getting Visa Gift cards for people instead of specific stores.

They have like a $5 charge just to get a $25 gift card (which is like the least amount you can put, iirc.)

So, I think it's more of a deterrent, this whole banning thing. If you get banned, you'll have to dish out $30 for a Visa Gift card each time you're banned. After 2-3 times, hackers might just think it's not worth it and go away.

February
Feb 13, 2007, 01:46 AM
In Mother Russia, Serial Key Bans you!

ShinMaruku
Feb 13, 2007, 02:39 AM
Sonic Team has no soul they won't do jack past a point.

Shonky
Feb 13, 2007, 02:56 AM
I have been using a gift card to play PSU. I only pay $2 for the card and load it with what I want. I can even go online and get a online card account (get the card number, but no physical card) and its even cheaper.

l_Will_l
Feb 13, 2007, 03:14 AM
i personally think sega shoulda done something to determine if something is duped. like how in pso u could name a weapon rite? well not so much like that but like in the pokemon games for gameboy back in the day when u cought one it would take ur info down on it like ur chars name and number or whatever and if u sent it to ur friend it would keep that stuff and whatnot. it shoulda been if u synth it it says that. then they will know is u know 50 creas are going around with persons name out it. mostlikely a duped item. now same cant really go for meseta.

Rasputin
Feb 13, 2007, 03:25 AM
On 2007-02-12 22:46, heavenly6 wrote:
In Soviet Russia, Serial Key Bans you!

Fix'd

February
Feb 13, 2007, 03:35 AM
On 2007-02-13 00:25, Rasputin wrote:

On 2007-02-12 22:46, heavenly6 wrote:
In Soviet Russia, Serial Key Bans you!

Fix'd

Haha. Im just glad some one here still has a sense of humor http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif