PDA

View Full Version : Art sucks.

FOAtHeart
Feb 14, 2007, 05:05 PM
Lately it seems like all art I create is garbage. My passion and love for making art has just slipped away completely, it seems. Just not fun anymore.

But I can't stop doing it. Everytime I sit down, full of zest for drawing, it fizzles away as soon as my pencil touches the paper.

I'm considering just giving it up completely, if I could even manage that.

For those of you who know what it's like/have gotten through it, tell me your method; it's important.

Sayara
Feb 14, 2007, 05:15 PM
Taking breaks away from Art (and not just drop it entirely) helped me a bit. Ripping paper works too.

astuarlen
Feb 14, 2007, 06:38 PM
Ugh, I empathize completely with ya. This happens to me quite often; as an art student, I am constantly forced to be drawing, painting, designing, etc, so it's easy to slip from enjoying it to feeling that it's a chore. Personally, I can't afford to take a break of any substantial length (not doing something art-related for an entire day is pretty much out of the question). What helps me is complaining. Really, when I'm really frustrated by something--and generally that something is art-related--I vent about it profusely for a little bit (usually to my mom ;p She's so nice to put up with my oh-so-dramatic ogod I want to quit/make it stop phone calls). I find that getting it out of my head verbally helps a little. And then I just get back to plugging away, which is what I ought to be doing right now, uuuuuuurgh.
Hope you find a way out of this slump. :]

Dhylec
Feb 14, 2007, 06:58 PM
I think art is from the heart & mind. It expresses what & how you feel. If you can't create art from the heart, as in made to do, you'd dislike it. If it's no longer enjoyable, you should take a break from it. Then, find some inspiration from someone or something to go on.

I try to find the time & inspiration to do some sketching, but I usually get one, but not the other. Heh. ;]

Dre_o
Feb 14, 2007, 08:13 PM
My friend, you have the same problem I have....oh...how often....oh yea! ALL THE TIME. I love to draw but if I don't spend 3 days on something, it's crap and EVEN then, there's a good chance it's crap.

But I just don't give up. A moto of mine is short and simple: Never give up the fight.

Solstis
Feb 14, 2007, 10:58 PM
I suggest picking up music. As in, music that you appreciate that you can use to fall in to a create mood (and to sustain it).

Try anything to stimulate those Beta waves. Coffee, Tea... Enya? Claritin is a great muse for me, but the "high" only lasts for a few hours, but the lethargy that comes after lasts for far more. Drugs are bad, eh.

Or, you could try to pick up writing. If you're really bad at it, it could fuel your desire to draw--while still getting some of your creative processes down. Drawing really ticks me off, so I'll try to sketch out what I'm thinking, get frustrated, and end up writing. I've had difficulty writing for a while now, though, probably because of school work.

Hm, could try drawing in various situations. Like, in bed, upside down, with the pen under the paper, etc.

FOAtHeart
Feb 14, 2007, 11:14 PM
You know I can never write without feeling so pretentious I get disgusted with myself.

(don't know whether to laugh or cry at that.)

Music is great. I have tons of love for Shostakovich. Listening to music though usually puts me in a mood to make music, not art. But now that I think about it...

Banish
Feb 15, 2007, 05:58 PM
On 2007-02-14 14:05, FOAtHeart wrote:
Lately it seems like all art I create is garbage. My passion and love for making art has just slipped away completely, it seems. Just not fun anymore.

But I can't stop doing it. Everytime I sit down, full of zest for drawing, it fizzles away as soon as my pencil touches the paper.

I'm considering just giving it up completely, if I could even manage that.

For those of you who know what it's like/have gotten through it, tell me your method; it's important.

Well, I'm not a artist, but I would say to give it your best shot.

Everyone isn't supposed to paint/draw something amazing, right off the bat.

Firocket1690
Feb 15, 2007, 07:25 PM
oh?

I'm somewhat of a 'part time' artist. seeking other aspects, and expressing self in art when the inspiration comes.

ideas don't just appear in your mind, don't force apply yourself (zomg grammar?)

It's one thing to refine technique and whatnot. people go to school for that. but to apply ideas and thoughts using that technique would take time. and inspiration. and such.

good luck with that.

navci
Feb 16, 2007, 01:22 AM
I know what you mean.
Luckily I got a lot on my plate. I almost sorta conveniently forget about it. >.>
Then I tried to doodle, and then say fuck that and go back to doing homework or something. :<

I'll just sit this one out. And that's my best suggestion. No need to think of anything permanent.

Moo2u
Feb 16, 2007, 01:35 AM
I agree with Tingle, if you're finding yourself frustrated with your work, a bit of time away from it can actually help. If you're obsessing with your work, then you won't be happy with anything you're doing, trust me. Just take some time away, and then come back to what you were doing with a fresher mind, and perhapes whatever was bugging you before with clear itself up.

hyperacute
Feb 16, 2007, 05:35 AM
I'm predominantly a musician but the process is the same I guess. Take a break from it and do something completely different to take your mind off it for a while. Personally, I find doing a bit of excersise gets the brain firing on all cylinders again. The other thing I used to go was putting down whatever I was working on when I reached a creative impasse and starting on something else. Then going back to it when I felt inspired again.