PDA

View Full Version : Start a new character because of the latest update (or lack

JC10001
Feb 14, 2007, 09:11 PM
My main character is a level 70(10) Fortetecher. Like a lot of other fortetechers out there I was really looking forward to getting Megid and a few of the other ultimate PAs. As we all know, the last update came and went without any new PAs being released. Seeing as how I had maxed out my last character stats-wise for the time being I decided to start a new character.

I'm not alone. A lot of my friends did the same thing. I thought it would be fun if we all shared our thoughts about our new characters. How do you like him/her? Is the class/job what you expected it to be? Etc.

My new character is a female cast ranger...soon to be fortegunner. Here are my thoughts....

I wish I would have spent more time with the ranger during the demo because if I had my main character probably would have been a ranger. I spent 5 minutes playing a ranger during the demo and the rifle just bored me to tears which is why I didn't go on. I really wish I would have tried some of the other ranger weapons back then. For my new character I bought a bunch of dual handguns for cheap. These things kick butt! They are much more fun to use than rifles IMO. You can just dance around the enemies spreading status effects like crazy without ever getting touched.

Which brings me to my next thought...playing a ranger seems really easy. Much easier than a force or hunter. Its like night and day and it is a welcome change of pace from a force. I don't even have to worry about my hp (which I have plenty of unlike my force) because I never get hit. Man, I almost feel like it should have been rangers than received the low hp that way it would have been somewhat challenging. I almost feel like I'm cheating here.

I haven't reached level 20 yet (19 right now) but I can't wait to try the SUVs.

I'm actually thinking about making this character my new main character and spending the PA fragments I gathered as a force to purchase killer shot for this character.

So what about you guys?

Zorafim
Feb 14, 2007, 09:22 PM
I prefer to have a single god rather than multiple demigods. If I were to cap my main job, I would get new weapons and PAs and start leveling another one. It must be because of all my time with FFXI, where changing jobs was much more practical than making another character. Even so, being able to change my play style off the drop of a pin seems more appealing than having to level up another character. Then again, I am still lv55...

Tiyr
Feb 14, 2007, 09:23 PM
If you like twins and dancing while firing I'd suggest guntecher since they get the s-ranks of the mobility weapons (twins, machine guns, crossbows, etc).

That said, I haven't quite hit cap with my FighGunner yet, but I've been messing around with an alt all the same. It's nice to have someone whose abilities go up quickly and who can level up a few times in a session after grilling through the high-20s in PAs and the mid 60s in levels.

Making a guntecher. Unlike most fGs, I'm really fond of the crossbow / twins, and want to see how far I can go with them with a GT.

Tiyr
Feb 14, 2007, 09:26 PM
On 2007-02-14 18:22, Zorafim wrote:
I prefer to have a single god rather than multiple demigods. If I were to cap my main job, I would get new weapons and PAs and start leveling another one. It must be because of all my time with FFXI, where changing jobs was much more practical than making another character. Even so, being able to change my play style off the drop of a pin seems more appealing than having to level up another character. Then again, I am still lv55...

For whatever reason (probably because I play mostly in teams of two and three) I'm already at my PA cap and have all of them leveled within five of cap. Other than rare farming and grinding out mission points to hit my job cap, there's not a whole lot left for me to do. Not that I'm complaining; it's still fun as hell. But progress is nice.

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 14, 2007, 09:27 PM
Crossbow is nice but, when I get back to PSU, I'm switching my main (newman guntecher) to a Fighgunner. I am so utterly disappointed with being a ranger. My damage is supposed to come from the rifle and bow and arrow burn. I hate bows and th rifle just didn't level >_>

Then again, the one thing I will miss is the fan. . . Otherwise, every other weapon was just something frustrating to level.

JC10001
Feb 14, 2007, 09:29 PM
I thought about switching jobs to guntecher but I'd have to overwrite PAs to do it. I already have most of them over 21 so I really didn't want to do that. I also wanted an SUV weapon.

I know guntechers get to use S rank dual handguns but I figured the increase ATP of fortegunners (along with some grinded 9*s) would probably be enough to cover the difference.

Tahldon
Feb 14, 2007, 09:30 PM
I'm actually working on a new character myself.

I have a 70/10 Fortetecher, but I decided to just try something new since we have the time for it and all.

I'm now playing Hale (via Jungle wa Itsumo Hale nochi Guu) and I'm going to make him a Protranser, I'm pretty excited about that myself.

Protransers seem hella cool. How unfortunate that they can't use S ranks though. But they'll still be sweet!

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 14, 2007, 09:36 PM
On 2007-02-14 18:27, Sgt_Shliggy wrote:
Crossbow is nice but, when I get back to PSU, I'm switching my main (newman guntecher) to a Fighgunner. I am so utterly disappointed with being a ranger. My damage is supposed to come from the rifle and bow and arrow burn. I hate bows and th rifle just didn't level >_>

Then again, the one thing I will miss is the fan. . . Otherwise, every other weapon was just something frustrating to level.

you know what? I did exactly the same thing with Sayuri, my female newman who was also once a Guntecher, I switched her to Fighgunner. As a result, ALL 4 of my characters are Hunters.

R2D6battlebot
Feb 14, 2007, 09:51 PM
Ive already had to make 2 alt characters and im working on my third. The problem with using the same character is that this game has nothing to really hunt yet, liike PSO did. The best things to find so far are mostly synth items for weapons that are unreleased, so once you get high enough level its completely pointless to play.

Garnet_Moon
Feb 14, 2007, 09:55 PM
I've had my alt in production for a while now. I only had a reason to level her seriously because of the march 2nd update.

*shrugs*

Randomness
Feb 14, 2007, 09:58 PM
On 2007-02-14 18:55, Garnet_Moon wrote:
I've had my alt in production for a while now. I only had a reason to level her seriously because of the march 2nd update.

*shrugs*

Yeah, I've had alts on the back burners for a bit. Or, really, all three chars on the same burner... and me switching as the mood takes me.

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 14, 2007, 10:39 PM
On 2007-02-14 18:51, R2D6battlebot wrote:
Ive already had to make 2 alt characters and im working on my third. The problem with using the same character is that this game has nothing to really hunt yet, liike PSO did. The best things to find so far are mostly synth items for weapons that are unreleased, so once you get high enough level its completely pointless to play.

I like how you worded that. That's why I quit.

I will probably come back but not yet. Waiting for some buddies of mine to get the game since most ofthe cool people I played with have quit.

Golto
Feb 14, 2007, 10:53 PM
Heh yeah i'm working on my 2nd alt now too since I hit type lvl 10 on both of my other chars. Abusing bruce's b is too easy to type lvl. I find it rather boring once a char gets over lvl 60. So now i'm trying out beast hunter/fortefighter. Really not liking all the zeroes popping up while attacking but being able to equip weapons and armor rather soon is nice. One good thing (maybe) about lvl caps was to make me start alts. If the lvl cap started at lvl 100 or higher I probally would have never started alts to actually play instead of storage and pm. Well at least when I get my third char to expert type the de ragan co-op mission should be available. No more bruce's for me.

PMB960
Feb 14, 2007, 10:59 PM
I have 4 chars all over level 20. I like variety and switch between them every 5 to 10 levels.

Carbinne
Feb 15, 2007, 02:03 AM
yeah, I decided to work on a couple alts as well since my Fortegunner is pretty much level uber and there's not much else to do besides hunt for rares (futile). I was planning on making my Beast girl alt a Protranser but I got lazy and just switched to Figunner when she hit Hunter 5. So good to have access to twin handguns, mm.

Also, yeah, Ranger types have it very easy since you can sit in the back ranks and dodge everything; twin guns and crossbows allow for great damage + mobility and status all in a solid package. Even with a Rifle you generally have enough time to dodge most things if you're alert, and rifles grind well, last awhile, and can do some serious burn/virus damage, though they are hell to level.

VanHalen
Feb 15, 2007, 02:12 AM
well i have one character who is a human ranger and i am making him a fortegunner then i remembered hey he's a human i can do any job! so i made him a force and i had so much fun probably as much fun as playing as my main. then i lvled both jobs and made him a guntecher. now i decided once i get all my techs to lvl10 im gonna switch back and forth between ranger and force until he's a fortegunner/fortetecher/guntecher. also i started raising my shop character cause i felt bad he never did anything but sell stuff(must get pretty boring) so i decided to make him a CAST Fighgunner. funy thing about him is he looks like my main if he was a CAST with a wider nose.

Almalexia
Feb 15, 2007, 09:07 AM
I started a new character because I'm just done with Elathia. I'm not all that happy with her. I only needed maybe 450pts for lvl10 Fortefighter and 2 more lvls til 70. I'll be playing my cast(Almalexia) for a long while.

Neith
Feb 15, 2007, 09:11 AM
Started a new character because I'm sick to death of playing my fF. 2-3 weeks should be enough time to level her (to be Fortetecher- I'm just hating the stupid amount of techs)

Sexy_Raine
Feb 15, 2007, 09:20 AM
Me and Nova switch back and forth everyday. Once we dominate, Da ANA will get his time to shine as a fortefighter(Hunters are so boring though). I've got a secret person under me who isn't going to be revealed yet, that's going to take on 3 Ex classes at once.

Almalexia
Feb 15, 2007, 09:29 AM
On 2007-02-15 06:20, Sexy_Raine wrote:
(Hunters are so boring though).

Compared to Force, yes, yes they are D:.

Kimil
Feb 15, 2007, 10:27 AM
I made a new http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Well, took up my old Fortetecher, and turned him into a Newm Hunter http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Newm Male Forterfighter or Figunner? lol Which should I go?

Kuya
Feb 15, 2007, 10:27 AM
I STILL haven't reached LV cap or Expert class cap but my eyes hurt from getting rifle bullets to 21+. So being a newman I went - sure, let's see how FO is. I basically only got dam techs and restsa (lol) and other than fearing a OHKO from things - those dam techs sure are "easy buttons" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Nice to mix things up here and there. I might even just get bored enough to max all classes with my ONE character.

_Deliverance_
Feb 15, 2007, 11:36 AM
That's one of the reasons why I like this game. You can have alts and still get somewhere with them within a reasonable amount of time, unlike ffxi.

Also: Character levels. Should you decide that you want to change jobs, it's np because you won't be _totally_ gimp if you switch.

Cracka_J
Feb 15, 2007, 02:03 PM
The majority of people I've played with tend to have the "you can just change jobs...alts are pointless" attitude. It's good to see that's not the case here. IMO, alts get quite useful at a certain point. In my case, my main is at 69 right now with lvl6 figunner/lvl 6 fortetecher. I'm already maxed on pa's, and will have to begin overwriting once the ultimate stuff comes out. So changing jobs is quite worthless for me at this point. If I changed, I would have to buy even more pa's and overwrite even more of my leveled pa's/techs. So instead, I created a cast to be fortegunner, and a beast to be fortefighter. Both are getting close to 40 now. It's quite easy to level alternate chars once you know where to go, and I enjoy the variety in all 3 of my char's playstyles. So I'm not too down bout the wait for the new pa's. I have other fun things to do.

pso123hrf
Feb 15, 2007, 06:03 PM
>.>;; How do you guys level so quickly? I'm still level 46.

Being a Newman female Guntecher is the thunder down under (in a good way) I love tagging everything with a Gi-Spell and having SE's to aid the party.

VanHalen
Feb 15, 2007, 06:04 PM
On 2007-02-15 15:03, pso123hrf wrote:
>.>;; How do you guys level so quickly? I'm still level 46.

Being a Newman female Guntecher is the thunder down under (in a good way) I love tagging everything with a Gi-Spell and having SE's to aid the party.

your lvl 46! im only lvl 38 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

RadiantLegend
Feb 15, 2007, 06:13 PM
A true fighter NEVER gets bored. The main reason i have an alt is to have 2 main characters just like pso.

Rashiid
Feb 15, 2007, 06:34 PM
I made a new character, simply because i maxed out Kandii (lvl and most spell wise) for the tyme being.

plus i needed a fortegunner, and im not using Sha`raun untill the ultimates come out

and making new characters burns tyme http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif