PDA

View Full Version : Can u still play online if u use a ps3

gundam0079
Feb 15, 2007, 07:34 PM
can u still play PSU on teh ps3 online. im just wondering.

Itchee
Feb 15, 2007, 07:37 PM
Yes.

KRKcl17
Feb 15, 2007, 07:43 PM
It looks and runs better too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Deja
Feb 15, 2007, 07:46 PM
Not on my brother's, unfortunately. Still lags bad in 6 player games, and in 4 player games it gets a little jittery when 4+ enemies show up (which is what, every enemy spawn?)

This game wasn't coded quite right lol

ShinMaruku
Feb 15, 2007, 07:57 PM
All I need is a card and a bloody router and my PS3 will be there too which all the crazy crap it got... >_>

McLaughlin
Feb 15, 2007, 08:02 PM
On 2007-02-15 16:43, KRKcl17 wrote:
It looks and runs better too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

It can't run better because the game wasn't programmed for the PS3, and the PS3 doesn't magically make everything faster.

It was programmed to use all the resources on a PS2. The game doesn't know there's more available for it to use, so it won't use that extra.

It doesn't run better. Stop lying.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-02-15 17:02 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Feb 15, 2007, 08:27 PM
If anything it would run worse because the way it's programmed is for a single regular processor. The cell processor doesn't know what to do and so has to read a secondary program to tell it how to handle the code so it takes slightly longer to actually perform the code than a PS2 would...however the pure rendering power may allow for higher quality graphics and more models rendered.

So you get slower speed, but higher quality

pso123hrf
Feb 15, 2007, 08:31 PM
On 2007-02-15 17:02, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

On 2007-02-15 16:43, KRKcl17 wrote:

It can't run better because the game wasn't programmed for the PS3, and the PS3 doesn't magically make everything faster.

It was programmed to use all the resources on a PS2. The game doesn't know there's more available for it to use, so it won't use that extra.

It doesn't run better. Stop lying.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-02-15 17:02 ]</font>

0.o whoa...so many mad peeps today

Anyone up for Mad Casts SS?

:3

Proff
Feb 16, 2007, 02:14 AM
Wow, on my PS3 the game looks crappier. I use component cables for both my PS2 and PS3 on an HDTV, and the game actually looks better on the PS2. On the PS3, it looks like it runs at an even lower resolution and is stretched to fit the screen. Every model is more jagged and the textures look blurry and smudged. I have no idea what magic PS3 all these other people use, but mine must suck.

desolant11
Feb 16, 2007, 02:26 AM
too much to quote here. i play on ps3 and it looks and runs better. i get very little game play slowdown or weapon load lg. i used to get a ton of both with other systems. the enemies load right in no waiting upon joining rooms. people that complain the graphics are too defined need to adjust their video output settings. after you do that it looks slightly better than ps2 with the colors being more vibrant and backgrounds, and fine detailed things such as signs becoming very clear and beautiful.

also surface textures are fabulous on ps3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desolant11 on 2007-02-15 23:29 ]</font>

A2K
Feb 16, 2007, 02:29 AM
Have you gotten the chance to update the PS3's firmware? I don't have first-hand experience but I believe a recent update made PS2 games run a bit better.

At the moment, I believe PS3s actually contain PS2 hardware inside (the combined GS/EE chip that also goes into slim PS2s) to facilitate backwards compatibility a bit better while they attempt to "perfect" software emulation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-02-15 23:31 ]</font>

desolant11
Feb 16, 2007, 02:38 AM
On 2007-02-15 23:29, A2K wrote:
Have you gotten the chance to update the PS3's firmware? I don't have first-hand experience but I believe a recent update made PS2 games run a bit better.

At the moment, I believe PS3s actually contain PS2 hardware inside (the combined GS/EE chip that also goes into slim PS2s) to facilitate backwards compatibility a bit better while they attempt to "perfect" software emulation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-02-15 23:31 ]</font>

yes since ive hooked it up i've had 3 updates with the last one being pretty big. i didn't look to see what it did though.

i'd say you're probably right with the ps3 having a little ps2 inside it. it's just the video output that effects if it looks crappy or not. the high def settings sometimes make older games look too sharp.
other than that. it has both a ps2 memory card function where it creates one on the hdd and also it formats part of the hdd to act like the ps2 hdd for people who play ff11 and games that use the ps2 hdd.

Sinue_v2
Feb 16, 2007, 02:41 AM
people that complain the graphics are too defined need to adjust their video output settings. after you do that it looks slightly better than ps2 with the colors being more vibrant and backgrounds, and fine detailed things such as signs becoming very clear and beautiful.

Define "Adjusting Video Settings", because I'm quite sure you're wrong. Many people have complained about PS2 graphics looking worse when played on a HDTV, PC Moniter, or on the PS3 (with a high-definition output). The problem being that your standard SDTV is generally so crappy that you don't really notice a lot of problems and artifacts. The natural blurryness, for example, acts as a sort of ghetto anti-aliasing. So expecially if you're turning your sharpness down, you're losing quality - even if you percieve it to look better.

What does make the colors more vibrant, and textures crisper however - is increased resolution. I run my PS2 though a semi-decent VGA adapter which can upscale the image to 1080x1024. It doesn't really reduce jaggies (it's still a 480i image, after all) but by reducing the amount of dead space between your scan lines you get more color for the same relative space. This increases color vibrancy, reduces blurryness, and looks wicked good (compaired to what most people are seeing on their PS2's anyhow).

As for the PS3 - it's possible to for that console to make games look better. IIRC, the PS3 is backwards compatable with the PS2 because they used EE as the PS3's I/O chip (much like the PSX chip was used as an I/O on the PS2). So basically the game is running on actual PS2 hardware. However, effects and enhancements can be added to the image in the frame buffer I believe. Adding anti-aliasing, upscaling the resolution, applying various filters, ect.. very much like you do to PSX games running on a PC emultator. Now, I don't have a PS3 so I can't confirm or deny with any certainty what enhancements it does allow. I'm pretty certain it can't make the game run faster, and it certianly can't make the game look as good as the PC/X360 versions.

DurakkenX
Feb 16, 2007, 02:47 AM
On 2007-02-15 23:14, Proff wrote:
Wow, on my PS3 the game looks crappier. I use component cables for both my PS2 and PS3 on an HDTV, and the game actually looks better on the PS2. On the PS3, it looks like it runs at an even lower resolution and is stretched to fit the screen. Every model is more jagged and the textures look blurry and smudged. I have no idea what magic PS3 all these other people use, but mine must suck.

This happens when you try to output a Analog output to an HD screen, or HD to Analog. You need to do something to fix this problem...I dunno what but I'm sure that there is a setting somewhere on your TV or PS3 that should cure this prob.

If you don't have an HD TV you need to most likely get a composite cable or plug that in rather than the component

desolant11
Feb 16, 2007, 02:53 AM
On 2007-02-15 23:41, Sinue_v2 wrote:

people that complain the graphics are too defined need to adjust their video output settings. after you do that it looks slightly better than ps2 with the colors being more vibrant and backgrounds, and fine detailed things such as signs becoming very clear and beautiful.

Define "Adjusting Video Settings", because I'm quite sure you're wrong. Many people have complained about PS2 graphics looking worse when played on a HDTV, PC Moniter, or on the PS3 (with a high-definition output). The problem being that your standard SDTV is generally so crappy that you don't really notice a lot of problems and artifacts. The natural blurryness, for example, acts as a sort of ghetto anti-aliasing. So expecially if you're turning your sharpness down, you're losing quality - even if you percieve it to look better.

What does make the colors more vibrant, and textures crisper however - is increased resolution. I run my PS2 though a semi-decent VGA adapter which can upscale the image to 1080x1024. It doesn't really reduce jaggies (it's still a 480i image, after all) but by reducing the amount of dead space between your scan lines you get more color for the same relative space. This increases color vibrancy, reduces blurryness, and looks wicked good (compaired to what most people are seeing on their PS2's anyhow).

As for the PS3 - it's possible to for that console to make games look better. IIRC, the PS3 is backwards compatable with the PS2 because they used EE as the PS3's I/O chip (much like the PSX chip was used as an I/O on the PS2). So basically the game is running on actual PS2 hardware. However, effects and enhancements can be added to the image in the frame buffer I believe. Adding anti-aliasing, upscaling the resolution, applying various filters, ect.. very much like you do to PSX games running on a PC emultator. Now, I don't have a PS3 so I can't confirm or deny with any certainty what enhancements it does allow. I'm pretty certain it can't make the game run faster, and it certianly can't make the game look as good as the PC/X360 versions.

you can set ps3 to video output of 480i

i said slightly better with better colors and textures. so thats better right?

and yes. it's like night and day. from what i read and have experianced. ps3 rins this game better than pc and 360 runs it about as good as ps2 while having very nice graphics.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desolant11 on 2007-02-15 23:58 ]</font>

Proff
Feb 16, 2007, 02:54 AM
Yeah but the point is that I'm using the same cables for both my PS2 AND my PS3 on the same HDTV, and it still looks "better" on the PS2. On my PS3 (with the most recent firmware upgrade) the game looks horrid. It is definitely more jaggy than on my PS2 and all textures are actually blurrier. I don't mean a just a little like it's running through a smoothing-filter (see PSone games on PS2), I mean that it looks REALLY smudged. Motions cause the image to blur as well, and that I can't even explain. The blurring from motion is apparent as well on my PS2 through component cables, but it's not as bad as the PS3 doing it.

In the end, I think it's just that this game is a PS2 game, and the PS3 really just isn't good at emulating the hardware. I don't hate my PS3 or anything, for God's sake I spent a fortune on it, but in the end, PS2 games look like crap on it. Not that I mind, I never buy a new console for old games. That's just pointless.

Sinue_v2
Feb 16, 2007, 02:56 AM
This happens when you try to output a Analog output to an HD screen, or HD to Analog.

I think you're confused. Component Cables (which are capable of 1080i resolutions, clearly HD) are analog. RGB Cables are analog. VGA Cables (like you use on your PC) are analog. HDMI (which the PS3 also uses) however, is digital.

It's true that you're going to lose some quality when converting a signal from analog to digital and vice versa. However it's not very noticable IMO. Many graphics designers still use CRT moniters because of the quality they provide - yet CRT is an analog technology.

In general though, if you have an LCD HDTV, you're technically better off using HDMI. If you're using a CRT HDTV, you're technically better off using Component or VGA cables. (Most affordable HDTV's at this point still can't display 1080p, but that is quickly changing)

DurakkenX
Feb 16, 2007, 03:00 AM
Ummm you know the PS2 HD cables are not the same as the PS3's...the PS2's are not true HD and something happens in the lines...try using the PS3 cables other wise you are filter a filtered game

desolant11
Feb 16, 2007, 03:01 AM
On 2007-02-15 23:54, Proff wrote:
Yeah but the point is that I'm using the same cables for both my PS2 AND my PS3 on the same HDTV, and it still looks "better" on the PS2. On my PS3 (with the most recent firmware upgrade) the game looks horrid. It is definitely more jaggy than on my PS2 and all textures are actually blurrier. I don't mean a just a little like it's running through a smoothing-filter (see PSone games on PS2), I mean that it looks REALLY smudged. Motions cause the image to blur as well, and that I can't even explain. The blurring from motion is apparent as well on my PS2 through component cables, but it's not as bad as the PS3 doing it.

In the end, I think it's just that this game is a PS2 game, and the PS3 really just isn't good at emulating the hardware. I don't hate my PS3 or anything, for God's sake I spent a fortune on it, but in the end, PS2 games look like crap on it. Not that I mind, I never buy a new console for old games. That's just pointless.

are you set to 480i as soon as i made that adjustment it looked fantabulous.

DurakkenX
Feb 16, 2007, 03:05 AM
On 2007-02-15 23:56, Sinue_v2 wrote:

This happens when you try to output a Analog output to an HD screen, or HD to Analog.

I think you're confused. Component Cables (which are capable of 1080i resolutions, clearly HD) are analog. RGB Cables are analog. VGA Cables (like you use on your PC) are analog. HDMI (which the PS3 also uses) however, is digital.

Well it's not my forte so it's ok to be wrong...but what I'm refering to as a low res signal, not analog. Basically the bluriness/jaginess is caused the same way JPGs have that problem...because it is taking 1 pixel and displaying it as multiple pixels which gives an entirely different look

Sinue_v2
Feb 16, 2007, 03:38 AM
Ummm you know the PS2 HD cables are not the same as the PS3's...the PS2's are not true HD

Depends on which cable you use. If you use HDMI, then no, they're not the same. If you use component, then yes - they are. Just because the shape of the plug changes doesn't mean the entire cable changes. They don't create proprietary video signals each and every time they make a new console. It's not that the PS2 cables weren't capable of HD, but that the vast majority of the PS2's games were not HD.

(To be fair, the PS2 Component Cables were a seperate purchase. The ones that came with the system, the composite cables, were not capable of ED/HD)

are you set to 480i as soon as i made that adjustment it looked fantabulous.

That seems silly to me because IIRC, the X360 can upscale it's BC games to 780p. Perhaps not, but at least out of my library I haven't noticed any picture degredation when playing older Xbox titles, and no need to change resolution when playing a game to adjust picture quality. However, the X360's BC is entirely through software - and may or may not have similar complications to the PS3's BC.

Basically the bluriness/jaginess is caused the same way JPGs have that problem...because it is taking 1 pixel and displaying it as multiple pixels which gives an entirely different look.

Not really. Games that are designed in 480i are pixel to pixel with 480 displays. However 480 displays leave a LOT of space between scan lines and pixels - even when running in progressive scan. I can change my VGA adaptor's resolution via the OSD back and forth between 1080 and 480, and at 480 you can clearly see what looks like horisontal pinstriping. Because the lines are so far apart, edges do not appear solid and colors are dulled by the excess of black permeating the picture. This is even worse when viewing the image through a composite cable, because unlike componet, composite sends an entire video signal (Red, Green, Blue, White, Black) along one wire. To make matters worse, this wire is generally not very well sheilded. This causes a lot of bleeding of colors and excessive blurryness.

(In contrast, S-Video seperates the White/Black to a seperate line to from the signal which carries the colors; which drastically increases sharpness and color depth. Component seperates all of the colors, coupled only with approriate white/black levels)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-02-16 00:41 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Feb 16, 2007, 04:42 AM
meh well if thats what you say...i don't care much for electronics...but i'm sue he's got a solution somewhere in that explanation...

BTW it is known that the PS2 HD cables are not "true" HD. It has nothing to do with the shape, but rather some sort of configuration, or at least that is what i remember reading about them.

Sinue_v2
Feb 16, 2007, 05:37 AM
BTW it is known that the PS2 HD cables are not "true" HD. It has nothing to do with the shape, but rather some sort of configuration, or at least that is what i remember reading about them.

You must have read wrong. The PS2 was technically capable of outputting 1080i resolutions. The only fly in the ointment being that the PS2 hardware was pretty weak and developers generally didn't bother cutting back on their games for the added benefit of resolution that much of the market (at the time, and to a large digree still) would not be using. Though through some clever programming tricks, a few developers did manage to display slightly lower resolution games in 1080i and still manage to make them look good.

Gran Tourismo 4 being the most well known example.

Mattardo
Feb 16, 2007, 05:59 AM
I have a PS3, so I will tell you my experience. 1)- I am using component cables for both the PS2 and the PS3. The cables are the exact same and, in fact, on the package it states they are used for both systems. PS2 had high-def games (not many...but it had them), so whoever is saying that the PS2 component cables are not hi-def is incorrect. Component cables are capable of showing hi-def. That's just a fact that I don't want to explain, because a web search can reveal that. 2)-PS2 games look like crap on the PS3. Sony instituted a firmware upgrade which made them look less like crap, but they still look like crap. I use a high definition widescreen television for PS2 and PS3. When playing PSU on the tv using the PS2, the image is stretched and jaggy (the game is ot widescreen, so I was prepared for that). The image fills the entire screen, though, because the PS2 settings are set to display on widescreen. On the PS3, when playing PSU. even though it is set to display on a widescreen television, the image is bumped up 2 inches, leaving a hideous black bar on the bottom of the screen. I am using the same component cables for both. 3)- It refuses to save the updates and will download them every damn time I play, which is annoying. 4)-Weapon switching is slightly faster on the PS3. Not much faster, but a slightly noticeable difference. However, due to the horrible display problems of the PS3 dealing with various types of displays and the awkward nature of the R1 and R2 buttons( they are too much like triggers for this game), coupled with the downloading of the same update over and over, I still play on the PS2. Every television is different, of course, but black bars on the bottom because the image is bumped up is not acceptable. If my PS2 can do it, my PS3 should do it better, dog damn it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mattardo on 2007-02-16 03:01 ]</font>