PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think that people are leaving PSU?

Turbobrain
Feb 16, 2007, 10:02 PM
I have been a vet PSO'r, DC, GC, XBox. I saw the rise and decline of the game on all systems. Even the illicit server(as concerns DC, GC). For example, 2 years back if I was on Xbox PSO at this time(02:51)there would be prob 12 games, a year later it was good to get 6 at any time, at this time it is unuasal to see ANYONE online on SBox(at least the Euro server). I know the GC one is being closed end March.

Anyhoo. When I first went online PSU/PS2 there was a point where Universe 1 was hard to get onto and there where many people on the other universes. While I'm at it, is there a reason people like Universe 2 particually?

Now, I even at the busiest of times there seem to be only half the amount of people playing.

Even a my friend, a 5 year long player of PSO and PSU player cancelled his PSU account.

Whats going on. The games got it's problems I know. I just hope Sega do something. I mean lets face it the Bruces Dungeon mission SUCKED(well IMO, the retro music... bahhh).

Really are people leaving this game in droves? If I were not a total Phantasy Star junky I may consider that games like World of Warcraft would be better(though I'd have to tie up my PC) and more worth the £6.99 fee.

Even the gaming community(I know) seems to be of the opinion that this game will fold big time.

I hope not.

C'mon Sega.

Reginaldo
Feb 16, 2007, 10:16 PM
I think too many people expected this game to be PSO 2, when in fact it is an entirely different game. The only similarity are the photon weapons, and rappies.

pokefiend
Feb 16, 2007, 10:19 PM
the 360 version is continuelly gaining new players.

natewifi
Feb 16, 2007, 10:31 PM
Its being rebuilt as we speak, just give it time. People are always talking about how great 360 is when the only reason why there is so many people is because of the demo, and people constantly talking about its better and all that b/s its the same as PS2 everything is the same on both ver. there is just more people on Xbox. It gets annoying when you hear about someone is switching to 360 when they dont realise its not going to stay like it is forever, the hacking has been channeled and is more under control than before on PS2, but haxeta still exist, however it doesnt ruin the game IMO. I paid money for this and I want my moneys worth to be honest.

Shinzakura
Feb 16, 2007, 10:34 PM
On 2007-02-16 19:16, Reginaldo wrote:
I think too many people expected this game to be PSO 2, when in fact it is an entirely different game. The only similarity are the photon weapons, and rappies.

I agree. I also think that the problem is that the game was launched with (admittedly) too little content for power gamers. While that might be a necessity due to the architecture of the base system (the PS2), I still think there could have been ways around this (ie, the oft-neglected HDD).

Even still, people aren't giving this game enough of a chance. Yes, ST and Sega have made mistakes. But for people to expect this to be Final City of Warquest Lord of the Lineage Guild Tabula Online III (IOW, place hot game of moment here) instead of the PS franchise...well, Gears of War this is not, nor was it ever meant to be.

Krans
Feb 16, 2007, 10:53 PM
On 2007-02-16 19:31, natewifi wrote:
Its being rebuilt as we speak, just give it time. People are always talking about how great 360 is when the only reason why there is so many people is because of the demo, and people constantly talking about its better and all that b/s its the same as PS2 everything is the same on both ver. there is just more people on Xbox. It gets annoying when you hear about someone is switching to 360 when they dont realise its not going to stay like it is forever, the hacking has been channeled and is more under control than before on PS2, but haxeta still exist, however it doesnt ruin the game IMO. I paid money for this and I want my moneys worth to be honest.

Only reason people prefer the 360 is it hasnt been hacked

-Rune-
Feb 16, 2007, 11:14 PM
Well to start off, even though I haven't played nor wantto play it. WoW seems to be an outright better game. The thing is though most of the people who play this are fans not just "next new online game players". I worked at a gamestop and when I was elling this game for people I was telling them how great it is/going to be, but at the same time I told them "it's an aquired taste". The way I see it is people will either love the game or hate it, there really is no in between. I don't think people are leaving it's just they cancel when they hit caps and come back when new areas/PA arts/or lvl capped has been raised. I'll be having fun with this game with or without people as long as ST continues updates. I think they're doing a great job, could be worse... I could be doing weekly maintenance and updates... what's a computer again? o__O;;

natewifi
Feb 16, 2007, 11:26 PM
On 2007-02-16 19:53, Krans wrote:

Only reason people prefer the 360 is it hasnt been hacked

lol yea I mentioned that. :/

nooblet
Feb 17, 2007, 12:01 AM
im thinking about leaving PSU after like 1 month, its not the lack of content, its the reptiveness of it. Granted PSO was repetive also but with PSO you get to explore roughly 4 different areas in one party unlike PSU were its one mission for 1-2 hours.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nooblet on 2007-02-16 21:04 ]</font>

Tomeeboy
Feb 17, 2007, 12:03 AM
I don't think there are tons of people leaving the game or anything. Honestly, I don't think the game really has a large enough player base to actually lose subscribers in 'droves'. As a game gets older, there are always going to be people who get bored with it, or burnt out, and ultimately leave. The problem is that people who leave are typically a lot more vocal about it than people who are playing for the first time. It's all perception. If we had people posting every time they bought the game or got online with it, it would probably appear as if there were tons of new players instead.

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 17, 2007, 12:33 AM
On 2007-02-16 21:01, nooblet wrote:
im thinking about leaving PSU after like 1 month, its not the lack of content, its the reptiveness of it. Granted PSO was repetive also but with PSO you get to explore roughly 4 different areas in one party unlike PSU were its one mission for 1-2 hours.

Only solo missions take me multiple hours, and there are 3 planets and a space station to explore, with a bunch of missions on each. I think this has a good deal more places to fight than any PSO version.

THE JACKEL

Eliash
Feb 17, 2007, 12:38 AM
I think he ment that in PSO people did Forest -> Caves -> Mines -> Ruins

In PSU people do Bruce Dungeon B -> Bruce Dungeon B -> Bruce Dungeon B -> Bruce Dungeon B

Mistle22
Feb 17, 2007, 12:49 AM
The 360 server is better than it has ever been lately. 3 universes full, and uni 4 had two and a 1/2 stars. Nice http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

l_Will_l
Feb 17, 2007, 01:24 AM
well if i recall there were ppl that did do run after run after run of the same lvl even in pso. if u had a certain sec. id and wanted that certain wep ud still look for that wep dropin whatever lvl and on whatever difficulty. although it was seen alot less because of all the duping and what not on pso it wasnt really necessary to do run after run after run. not to mention now u need to lvl up a job as well and lets face it some of the mp rewards on runs arent work jack.

CelestialBlade
Feb 17, 2007, 01:32 AM
I like how people that do 50 De Ragan runs in a row blame Sega for making a "boring game." I almost never see anyone on Neudaiz or Moatoob anymore (not counting Bruce's Dungeon), I think doing a few "around the universe" runs would bring back some variety for a lot of people.

It further saddens me that so many are missing out on the best transfer lobby ever: the hot springs. Shame....

-Ryuki-
Feb 17, 2007, 01:52 AM
Why can't we go back to the old days where Uni 01 and 02 were full, and 03 had half stars? ._.

VanHalen
Feb 17, 2007, 02:01 AM
On 2007-02-16 22:32, Typheros wrote:
I like how people that do 50 De Ragan runs in a row blame Sega for making a "boring game." I almost never see anyone on Neudaiz or Moatoob anymore (not counting Bruce's Dungeon), I think doing a few "around the universe" runs would bring back some variety for a lot of people.

It further saddens me that so many are missing out on the best transfer lobby ever: the hot springs. Shame....

qft the 1st to complain are those people. my favorite mission so far is that parum train mission. i said to my friends lets go there and they didnt want to do it since it was too hectic(thats the best part i mean launching rouges? lol) but i think the best lobby is that one after de ragnus

_Deliverance_
Feb 17, 2007, 02:04 AM
You can't say that Bruce's sucks because of the music. The mission points are amazing, the required teamwork is an excellent idea, and I hope there is more of that type of mission coming.

Elaniel
Feb 17, 2007, 02:12 AM
i spent a few hours yesterday at the hot springs... amazing little place. totally worth the effort getting there http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Shinzakura
Feb 17, 2007, 02:22 AM
On 2007-02-16 23:12, Elaniel wrote:
i spent a few hours yesterday at the hot springs... amazing little place. totally worth the effort getting there http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Yeah. And if you haven't seen them, you should go to the waterfalls on Parum or the Oasis or Ice Plains on Moatoob. Those are breathtaking as well.

Elaniel
Feb 17, 2007, 02:34 AM
ive seen the waterfalls, very cool. I aint been to Moatoob as i think ill get my butt kicked there at level 21 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Callous
Feb 17, 2007, 08:25 AM

I think we have a winner.

AeraLure
Feb 17, 2007, 08:31 AM

I dont think its that. Even if people wished it were more similar to PSO, if PSU hadnt so many problems, people would have stayed longer and complained less.

Esufer
Feb 17, 2007, 08:35 AM
More people than ever are joining the 360 servers, if only to stare at my butt. ^_^

Almalexia
Feb 17, 2007, 09:06 AM
On 2007-02-16 22:52, RyukiZero wrote:
Why can't we go back to the old days where Uni 01 and 02 were full, and 03 had half stars? ._.

I'm going to go with the reason being jealousy. You know what I'm talking about - I want explain myself in this post. Don't worry about our pop. though. When the cap raises to 80 and we get those ult PA's there will be an influx of returning players for a while.

Zelendria_Ru
Feb 17, 2007, 10:53 AM
On 2007-02-16 21:38, Eliash wrote:

In PSO we'd spam missions too..better mob counts and more predictable exp/hour...it was rarely worth it to do full realm runs after they released things like Endless missions and TTF.

Serephim
Feb 17, 2007, 01:08 PM
The reason this game isnt PSO2 is because its underestimated how much we like the amazing variety of Rare Weapons we had in PSO ep. I&II.

This game has wayyy too few rares. I already know we wont ahve as much as PSOGCN/BB, so im guessing their going to do what they did with PSODC to GCN and make the Expansion Disc have the 29131023 weapons we're looking for.

If im not wrong, i believe Episode II included a large majority of the rares in PSO.

NDkEwL
Feb 17, 2007, 01:11 PM
I am leaving being the game isn't keeping my attention. There isn't enough variables in place to keep me hoping for something to happen, I know what is going to happen and the only unpredictability are what the drops are, and those follow a set pattern. Given the PAs are pretty cool and the interaction wonderful, the still lack of text wrap and overpredictability is just overbearing. I still love Phantasy Star, don't get me wrong, its just that this wasn't what I wanted after all that time after PSO. I'll still be around until the summer probably when I max out everything I want, get all the Serafi gear (if it ever gets released) and find a legacy to pass everything onto. Then, back to FFXI where I will always be guessing...

Edman
Feb 17, 2007, 01:25 PM
My friends and I just cancelled because there are so many problems. The interrupt requests still make it hard to log in for EVERYONE i play with, the servers lag more than any other game I have ever played, even back when I used dial up for starcraft, etc.

I don't care if my character gets erased, but I plan on coming back in about 5 or 6 months so that the game will actually be big enough to keep me interested, and hopefully have a lot of major fixes.

We just don't think the game is worth the money. Yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Edman on 2007-02-17 10:33 ]</font>

Ryno
Feb 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
well thats u..

Edman
Feb 17, 2007, 01:31 PM
Also, the level designs are pretty bland. They reuse the same blocks and themes so much that its not really any fun going from one area to the next. Every room is basically a square. The whole game is pretty much the caves from PSO, with a grass, mountain, and desert theme depending on where you are.

The new lobbies like the oasis and that waterfall area look a lot nicer, and would make pretty cool levels. Problem is, they probably wont do anything like that because they're just taking levels out of extra mode and putting them online.

-Ryuki-
Feb 17, 2007, 01:46 PM
On 2007-02-17 10:25, Edman wrote:
My friends and I just cancelled because there are so many problems. The interrupt requests still make it hard to log in for EVERYONE i play with, the servers lag more than any other game I have ever played, even back when I used dial up for starcraft, etc.

I don't care if my character gets erased, but I plan on coming back in about 5 or 6 months so that the game will actually be big enough to keep me interested, and hopefully have a lot of major fixes.

5-6 months would put you so far behind, that all the new players right now would surpass you. That would be an ego blow to someone who, say.. has been here since release date.

Oh, and what IS worth the money? WoW? ¬.¬

Edman
Feb 17, 2007, 02:30 PM
Im not a fan of MMORPGs (PSO and PSU don't count since 4-6 players isnt exactly massive), so no I wouldnt play WoW either. I could get xbox live gold on 2 accounts for less than what this game costs.

Pay $9.99 to play one game, or pay $4.15 to play anything?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Edman on 2007-02-17 11:32 ]</font>

nooblet
Feb 17, 2007, 05:12 PM
Only solo missions take me multiple hours, and there are 3 planets and a space station to explore, with a bunch of missions on each. I think this has a good deal more places to fight than any PSO version.

THE JACKEL

Your right there are a lot of different missions and new missions that are being release soon. Its just theres hardly anyone out in the far off places and having a small player base dont help at all. People still clamor to the old places where its all about fast MP. So I generally solo a lot in these far off places.

So I guess with PSO, you could log on and get a pt visiting few different areas. WIth PSU, you log on and spam de ragan 50x or play solo for hour or so.

AlphaMinotaux
Feb 17, 2007, 05:25 PM
I for one Finally quit PSU after denying that it wasnt a failure but the lack of content really hit me...Just wasnt enough content to keep me from quitting. If it started out with the content it has now i would very likely still be playing the game. Plus the hacking on PS2 made me very sad ; ;

ulyoth
Feb 17, 2007, 05:40 PM
I really dont see how people can think there isnt enough content, maybe you all just play too much. Playing maybe 2-4 hours a day, i dont get half the things done id like, and weve hardly touched neudaiz. Spending most of our time in the Hive, Colony or Parum Train mission. As long as my friends play ill carry on playing, if they are not on i wont. Simple.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Feb 17, 2007, 05:59 PM
On 2007-02-16 21:38, Eliash wrote:
Lol, who the hell did that? You'll never get anywhere doing that sort of progression. It was usually more like one of the following:

TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF

-or-

PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD

...you get the idea.

Nai_Calus
Feb 18, 2007, 04:24 AM
I liked doing Forest-to-Falz runs. :<

Though TTF is certainly a much more compact version of the good old F-t-F. Temple-to-Olga is good too, but CCA can drive one mad. XP

And I dunno, it got broken up with the groups I hung with. We'd do some TTF, some Heat Sword, some Soul Blade, I'd sit out an Ice Spinner or two 'cause I FUCKING hate Caves, we'd do a few Tower runs, do a Seabed run or two, if the right people were around and we felt like it occasionally there'd be some c-mode, or maybe a couple would break off and go on Ep3...

Yeah, spam was mostly for trying for drops. *pets Holy Ray* Papa still loves you, baby.

I can't possibly leave PSU online, though. I never started it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Shigecki
Feb 18, 2007, 12:20 PM
People are always talking about how great 360 is when the only reason why there is so many people is because of the demo

The demo servers are not connected with the actual game. The numbers that play the demo out weigh the actual game.

On 2007-02-16 21:33, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

THE JACKEL

Actually there is only 30 missions to play on PSU ATM. Compared to 85 or so on PSO. This doesn't even include battle or challenge mode. This includes every missions and area that you can play in ep1 and 2, online and offline. Many more quests and a different area on BB too. This could be a huge reason for there being a lot of people leaving PSU.

On 2007-02-17 14:59, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
Lol, who the hell did that? You'll never get anywhere doing that sort of progression. It was usually more like one of the following:

TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF -> TTF

-or-

PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD -> PoD

...you get the idea.

The group that I played with did plenty of F to F runs ( I had 2 level 200 character and another at 183, it looks like I got plenty of progression doing this), usually with a quest to top it off. When I was on BB I didn't play with a large team, so finding everyone on at the same time to do a PoD run wasn't an option. Even if this was a case, no one complained about being bored with doing those runs, and no one complained that these runs were the only thing that people ever did. The same can't be said about PSU.

I don't know if this is the reason that people are quitting, but it could be. I haven't had anyone quit playing PSU on my friends list, but then again I am playing on the 360 server. My friends list just keeps growing.

Solstis
Feb 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
TTF and Heatsword for leveling/rare drops, F t F for fun. Back when I was playing PSU, I don't think that I had a real concept of money, and how much I was losing. Now, I am just a tad bit bitter about buying a game I played for two months. :< I am not a power leveler, I just have too many things to do.

PSU is fun for some people, not fun for others, but I don't think that the population will vanish anytime soon. Just a good chunk of it. ST won't yank the servers for a while in order to save face, I bet.

Kent
Feb 18, 2007, 12:40 PM
Part of the reason people are disliking PSU is, yes, because it just isn't PSO2.

The setup is more like Guild Wars, another non-MMO, where you have cities and "lobby" areas separated by each other, that you have to go through instanced combat areas to travel between.

PSO, however, was done in the more Diablo style, where you have "town," and you have dungeons (whether they be on the surface, or in actual dungeons). Dungeons, in Diablo, were randomly-generated, whereas in PSO, there were several layouts the game could choose from, every time someone started a game.

The random layouts, are what kept the game from getting boring, for five freaking years.

PSU, on the other hand, does not have this variance. It literally feels like you're going through the exact same area, over and over again. Unlike, for example, the Forest, where you would actually be in the same two areas, just have to take a very different path in each one, in PSU, you have to progress the exact same way, through the blocks chosen - there's no variance aside from the order the blocks come in, and the enemy spawns.

That's part of why PSU got boring for me, already - it's redundant.

Of course, there are also all sorts of nuances that make the gameplay better and/or worse than PSO's. The combat system, while totally revamped and awesomeified, has ended up relying on the quick weapon swap - which isn't a bad thing... Just the fact that the "quick" weapon swap can take upwards of several seconds, just to switch between two weapons, makes people plan battles around how long it's going to take them to actually switch between two weapons.

Being able to get to the other end of your weapon palette in a matter of milliseconds is one thing, but it's the loading time that will get you (and/or your allies) killed.

If those two issues got fixed, I'd probably be online and playing, right now. Might as well fix the cheating, while they're at it, though.

Almalexia
Feb 18, 2007, 02:01 PM
I loved Forest to Ruins, and when EPII was around, I swam in VR to Seabed til my eyes turned red.

On 2007-02-17 10:46, RyukiZero wrote:

On 2007-02-17 10:25, Edman wrote:

5-6 months would put you so far behind, that all the new players right now would surpass you. That would be an ego blow to someone who, say.. has been here since release date.

Oh, and what IS worth the money? WoW? ¬.¬

He speaks a lot of truth here..... well, I don't agree with the ego part, but it would certainly be a discouraging situation.