PDA

View Full Version : Are Newman Guntechers any good?

Ludamec
Feb 20, 2007, 04:42 PM
I have a lvl 30 female newman with a lvl 6 force type...I plan to go ahead and get fortetecher when I reach 10...but Guntecher is still managing to intrigue me quite abit...but the thing is I dont want to start another character just yet when this character is only a week old. However, I feel as though a Newman's enormous TP will be completely wasted if I go guntecher because I only get lvl 10 techs. So what I'm askin is...how effective are newman guntechers? In terms of damage/atp growth wise. I want to be able to do good damage like I am now...but I'd also like a mix of 2 diff play styles..so..are newman guntechers worth losing lvl 21+ skills for?

Shassa
Feb 20, 2007, 04:46 PM
Of course! Highest tp, second-highest ata, and Newmans get stat bonuses for any tech-related type.

Ludamec
Feb 20, 2007, 04:49 PM
Ok, but what about damage with weapons? I mean I'm losing my good buffs by going back to lvl 10 spells. So will i still do decent damage with my guns/bows/cannons? High ata is all well and good but it doesnt mean anything if you are hitting 90% of the time while only doing 20 damage each time....

Eliash
Feb 20, 2007, 04:49 PM
Cons
ATP Wise they will always be worse than any other class.
Tech damage won't be good because regardless of their TP it won't hold a candle to the power of Fortetecher.
They won't have alot of hp.
Support spells don't take into account TP from what I understand.

Pros
They will be the best at restaing.
They will have the 2nd best ATA.
They won't get hit often (High evade + Range).
They will take less damage from the most common form of damage to gunner types: Magic (due to higher MST).

In the end they should (at least on paper) be better suited for support. Their increased effectiveness with resta and higher magical resist should offset their lack of physical defense and low hp, not to mention help heal the party better. They won't be bad and as much of a gunners damage is based off of SEs they will still do respectable amounts of damage with burn and inflict.

I give Newman Guntechers a 3 out of 5.

EDIT: I do not play newman nor guntecher, however, this is just my observation based on various bits of information gathered through other players and/or stat comparison.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eliash on 2007-02-20 13:51 ]</font>

Syl
Feb 20, 2007, 04:52 PM
The damage GTs do may disappoint you. Even as a Cast, I don't do a lot compared to others. But GTs are really about applying SE's, but if damage you want, you can always level cards. I do about 650 per attack (considering elements). Only things we get are higher critical rate, and level 30 bullets. So it's up to you...

But I don't see why newmans wouldn't make good GTs, just don't expect the damage to roll in since we have 3rd lowest ATP...

*edit* My card PA's are level 30, but I don't think Newmans would do as much damage as a Cast because of ATP differences...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WatchThemFeed on 2007-02-20 13:55 ]</font>

Kaydin
Feb 20, 2007, 04:52 PM
If your wanting to go Guntecher and still use techs alot, don't. Guntechers get 44% of their base TP, Fortetechers get 144%. Plus the spell cap at level 10 makes offensive casting pretty useless.

Ludamec
Feb 20, 2007, 04:54 PM
hmm So it sounds like I should just go fortetecher. How about a cast? they sound like they could be the most effective with nice ata and good atp...the only thing hurting them would be their MST right? What do you guys think about Beast Guntechers..?

Syl
Feb 20, 2007, 05:00 PM
Cast guntechers IMO are best suited. Although your TP lacks so badly (I have around 139 at lvl 6 guntecher >.>), you would mostly be doing debuffs/buffs/resta anyways. Resta isn't good, but it isn't horrible forgot how much I heal for). Would be good if you got a Sori/ TECH Charge or a Sori/Force to go along with this. And don't forget to grind the hell out of those 4* and 5* wands, they will come in handy as they may be the best you can use for now.

But TP issue aside, casts have awesome ATA and ATP to compensate for it.

Kaydin
Feb 20, 2007, 05:02 PM
Beast Guntecher? >.<
Personally, I feel Sega has gimped Beasts beyond all rational thought if they're anything but Fortefighter...

Cast Guntechers are decent, they just get the higher ranked rods later. I've seen a lot of them.
Having played PSO for so long, I still find it odd to see a Cast with a wand/rod. XD

Shassa
Feb 20, 2007, 05:04 PM
Well, you're actually bringing up two wholly different issues.

On your original question, yes, Newmans make great Fortetechers. But on your second question of is it worth it to lose all those tech levels... Well, do you want to shoot stuff and have a little tech ability for support? Or do you want to be a tech user with a little ranged (bows mostly) for support? That's the difference. One is mainly a Ranger, one's a pure Force. So no one can really answer this for you, it's up to you whether you want to cast a lot and shoot a little, or vice-versa. Newmans are fine at doing both.

Midicronica
Feb 20, 2007, 05:18 PM
The ATP on my Cast GT really isn't all bad, and the only problem I have is healing my teammates with resta that's only capable of restoring 190+ HP. My MST really hasn't been too much of a problem. (heh, I can avoid most magical attacks, because I'm always moving) When using the right element on my bow or handguns, I can deal more damage than most the members in my party. D: Cast GT gets my vote.

Get an Alteric bow and grind, grind, grind.

As far as Beast GT's go, I don't know. If I'd say anything, I'd say it would be a bad idea considering Beast's naturally low ATA, but I might be wrong.

pso123hrf
Feb 20, 2007, 05:21 PM
Umm...its people opinion...

Dependz, are you going to use cardz/bowz as a fortetecher? If so, get to force 10, then ranger five. Once on GUNTECHAH, level up thoes only to about 11-21+, till you can use cardz/bowz on fortetecher. >:3

CelestialBlade
Feb 20, 2007, 06:25 PM
Newmen Guntechers aren't weak. My 9* bow with Light-element arrows does 350/hit to Dark-element stuff, not to mention armor penetration as long as it isn't resistant to ranged or enchanted.

No you won't be doing 43756837465876235693729/hit like a Fortetecher, but you'll have way more variety and contrary to popular belief, GTs don't suck with technics either. Not to mention you get a lot of Evasion and respectable Defense and ATP.

Garroway
Feb 20, 2007, 06:27 PM
I actualy play a Newman Guntecher. I don't seem to stand out in any way but I'm useful nonetheless. My heal is good enough to keep the party topped off under normal operation and the dual handguns leave me mobile enough to get to people that need healing on the front lines. When things are running very smoothly (ie. people try not to get hit and there is a force staying on top of heals) I find that I mostly do crowd control with freeze and keep the status effects off with Resta. All-in-all not a hugely exciting existance.

_Deliverance_
Feb 20, 2007, 06:51 PM
Personally, I feel Sega has gimped Beasts beyond all rational thought if they're anything but Fortefighter...

Far from true, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Now I'm not a big fan of guntechers, but a Newman is a fine choice for the job. You already know that Cast GT don't do a lot of damage, so you now know that GT isn't about damage.

Ludamec
Feb 20, 2007, 09:06 PM
Hmmm thanks for the input guys. I think ill lvl both ranger and force, go forte first...and when I feel like a little variety*forces feel quite monotonous to me at times*, ill break out the GT. I completely forgot rangers are about DoT in this version. So theoretically, with decently grinded guns and high bullets, GTs can shell out as much as hunters. Well..from what I've read/observed anyway

Ravennittes
Feb 20, 2007, 09:11 PM
Agreed. Every specialized race is suited for 2 classes:
Beast: Fortefighter, Wartecher
Newman: Fortetecher, Guntecher
CAST: Fortegunner, Figunner

Humans on the other hand are meant to be anything and everything, although they accell the best in mixed classes, especially as a protranser.

Soukosa
Feb 20, 2007, 09:59 PM
On 2007-02-20 18:11, Ravennittes wrote:

That's very much your opinion. Beast WTs are rather pathetic since the class is more tech oriented than melee oriented. Yes you can play it without techs but then you just turn into those whiners that want too much from the game.

Newmans excel at tech damage, which GT has nothing to do with. Using offensive techs on a GT is beyond pointless. The only thing that TP helps you with on a GT is Resta which will won't get that great regardless of race.

All in all though, it doesn't fucking matter what race you use with what class. Play what you and find fun. Don't play for perfection.

Half the people in this thread shouldn't have even said anything since they obviously haven't spent any time with the class itself. And for those of you who feel that the GT isn't meant for damage, none of the gunner classes are designed for damage! Their main role is for statuses and additional damage. The melees are the heavy damage dealers (no, fTs you aren't the power houses so don't bother).

CelestialBlade
Feb 20, 2007, 10:05 PM
On 2007-02-20 18:59, Sounomi wrote:
Newmans excel at tech damage, which GT has nothing to do with. Using offensive techs on a GT is beyond pointless. The only thing that TP helps you with on a GT is Resta which will won't get that great regardless of race.

I can't say I agree, with my Guntecher. What about enemies that are resistant to Ranged but not Technics, like the robot enemies in Grove of Fanatics or Train Rescue? I've found that blasting them with Diga/Foie is a faster way of dealing with them, even if they do cap at level 10. And that's with a measly 4* Wand. In the long run, no, the Technics won't compete with the Bullets, but I've found Technics to be more than useful in certain occasions.

Like I said before, a GT is not going to out-damage a FT in raw power. But variety makes this game fun to me, and I've got plenty of that on my GT.

imfanboy
Feb 20, 2007, 10:10 PM
*points to sig*

My own guntecher is a part time fortetecher, too.

I find that forteteching is actually easier to SOLO - with dambarta, gizonde, and foie as your basic techs you can wade through just about any level, provided you have a decent elemental % armor to laugh at attacks.

Guntecher, on the other hand, is supreme at supporting. Because you have the one-handed weapons such as crossbows and cards for your main damage, it means that you always have easy access to a wand for quick debuffs and even quicker heals.

When I'm the sole support, I eat a Retaride and I'm healing for easy 700 points - that is NOT a small number. I'm dealing about 60-70 less per bullet than an equivalent beast GT (yes, beast GT is just fine as a class, you get plenty of ATA by the time you hit 60+) but that only means 1-2 more shots, and hell, if I'm gunteching I am NOT playing solo so damage isn't overall too important.

If you only have the time to dedicate to one character, I'd endorse being a dual-class GT/FT. It's a lot of fun, and while it can get pricy sometimes paying for two sets of equipment, it means you don't have to level 2 characters just to have fun.

Even shorter: It's just a game, and newfemme GT is just dandy as a class.

pso123hrf
Feb 20, 2007, 10:19 PM

Humans on the other hand are meant to be anything and everything, although they accell the best in mixed classes, especially as a protranser.

Opinion?

*whimpers*

CelestialBlade
Feb 20, 2007, 10:26 PM
Any race can be good at anything. The racial stat differences are a little blown out of proportion by players at times. You'll notice it, sure, but it's not going to cripple you.

_Deliverance_
Feb 21, 2007, 03:42 PM
On 2007-02-20 18:59, Sounomi wrote:

That's very much your opinion. Beast WTs are rather pathetic since the class is more tech oriented than melee oriented. Yes you can play it without techs but then you just turn into those whiners that want too much from the game.

All in all though, it doesn't fucking matter what race you use with what class. Play what you and find fun. Don't play for perfection.

Half the people in this thread shouldn't have even said anything since they obviously haven't spent any time with the class itself. And for those of you who feel that the GT isn't meant for damage, none of the gunner classes are designed for damage! Their main role is for statuses and additional damage. The melees are the heavy damage dealers (no, fTs you aren't the power houses so don't bother).

Chill out, princess.