PDA

View Full Version : How many have ONLY played online?

-Rune-
Feb 22, 2007, 12:22 PM
Just curious cause I only played online, haven't touched offline once yet. I'm hearing it's great though. My problem is I think if I'm playing offline, what I COULD be finding if I were online at that time. xD I wanna know how it plays, like are there Ranks offline like S2 stuff and such?

Also off-topic but can someone help me out with game music here~> http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=135894&forum=9&0

Thank you.

Kaydin
Feb 22, 2007, 12:27 PM
I played online for over a month before I touched offline. I just didn't do the online story missions (still haven't >.>). I started playing offline back when we first thought Dulk Fakis was supposed to come out, because I wanted to fight him offline before online. When I started playing offline, I only played really late at night when no one is on network mode to play with anyways.

February
Feb 22, 2007, 12:29 PM
I got it the day it came out, and the servers were crashed... so I played offline for a little bit. After the servers came online I havent touched offline at all.

Akaimizu
There are no Double S missions offline. Story mode does lead into the story missions that are online. It's decent, to say the least. Definitely a lot more effort put into a dramatic single-player experience than before. Of course, my main want to finish was to unlock everything in Extra Mode. Nothing like attacking the world of PSU with your own made-up character. So I beat offline rather quickly before I got far, online.

Still, since I've been online, I've used Extra mode more so as a launch-bed. A place to develop my characters and if I like it enough to put hundreds of hours into, I make them into Online characters. I know, months down the line, I'll start prepping for my 3rd online character. I want to make sure he's made right and follows a technique path that fits the story I'll craft around it.

Online is not the best place to test. You sort of have to commit before developing them far enough to see whether they are the *right* thing, if a bit of backstory is your bag. Offline, you need to commit about 4 hours before you've played enough to tell. Now that's a pretty small commitment.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-02-22 09:30 ]</font>

CAST-Sapphire
I played Online first and after a month or 2 I try Offline. I didn't really get that into it and stopped halfway through.

twysted
Feb 22, 2007, 12:53 PM
i have only played online..

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 22, 2007, 12:54 PM
Up until my Christmas break, having got the game the day it came out, before they even put it on the shelves, I hadn't played offline. Over break I got to chapter 9ish. I've played 1 chapter since then, and want to be offline story before tackling online story.

THE JACKEL

Rashiid
Feb 22, 2007, 02:59 PM
for the 1st two days of having this game, my parents refused to pay the fee ^_^;

so i had play the Story mode, and its quite fun, from tyme to tyme ill go back and start another story account

this does give you a chance to exp. the single Claw ultimate PA, and sum others that are considered 'ultimate', and every spell is available

desolant11
Feb 22, 2007, 03:07 PM
i play offline durring maintenance. i had my game all the way to episode 5 but then after i hooked up my ps3 and switched over to it. i had to start my offline game over again and currently i'm at ep3. i'm really enjoying it though. i think the map structure reminds me more of classic pso map lay-outs than online maps.

Magician
Feb 22, 2007, 03:12 PM
Finished Chapter 1 and that's about it.

SuperRygar
Feb 22, 2007, 04:29 PM
when i first got the game, i couldnt go online because i didnt have a keyboard yet, and my user id and an underscore in it >.< i was forced to play story mode, i think i played for 3 hours total. i hated it. not only i was i thinking how pointless it was to get any items here since its stuck offline. but everything was locked! i couldnt start raising my PM or go to any planet i wanted to. F THAT i say. i dont think i'll ever play offline mode. because now i have stuff to look forward too Online that most people already experienced. i would start playing PSO again before i play PSU offline mode

PJ
Feb 22, 2007, 04:38 PM
I had the game about a month before I got online. In fact, I was LUCKY enough to get online that fast, and really didn't think I would, but oh well.

I'm glad I was offline for a month. Got to finish Story Mode and do a nice chunk of Extra Mode.

AeraLure
Feb 22, 2007, 04:43 PM
I played the first chapter offline and stopped. Had no interest. Wished instead they put that effort into online quest variants a la Sould of Steel etc and then stroy missions that could be played with your online character. I found it much less interesting than playing offline with PSO, because of course in PSO you could work on your online character offline too. I prefer that way of doing it, or bringing it all together online over having it separated, speaking for myself.

Suppose its nice though for those who want to play a sefl-contained offline mode too.

Natrokos
Feb 22, 2007, 04:48 PM
I have alot of friends that have played up to the first save point or until you get extra mode....

soolayah
Feb 22, 2007, 04:58 PM
i finished all of story mode before going online, because i thought it would be nice to have a story behind everything. it wasn't that great, but worth playing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

A2K
Feb 22, 2007, 05:06 PM
The first thing I did both times (import PC and domestic 360) was play through Story Mode. I initially was going to push it off until the domestic in the first place, but with the server issues the game had at the Japanese launch I didn't really have much else to do otherwise.

The second time around was better for me, of course, since I had a much better grasp of what was being discussed. I love it, personally, as it really gave the new world they built a lot more personality. I do kind of wish all those NPCs conversations led to some sort of tangible reward, though... The lack of any real side quests (free missions don't count!) was a serious downer.

Probably the among the easiest 1000 gamerpoints that can be gotten out there, as well, if that sort of thing is your bag. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-02-22 14:07 ]</font>

Mattardo
Feb 22, 2007, 06:04 PM
I tried Story Mode before online. After enduring the torturously --- cutscenes in which I stated "I hope to God the idiot on the skateboard is not going to be some person who is going to 'train' me", I soon found out it was much worse than that. 10 seconds after the cutscenes ended, so did my experience with the offline mode of this game. I've played some of the online story modes, and sheesh, the use of gestures by the characters is repetitive and lame. I'll stick to deeper offline games. So YES I played the offline game: for 10 seconds and 1 cutscene.

Mod Edit: Find better words.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-02-23 09:17 ]</font>

-Rune-
Feb 22, 2007, 06:09 PM
On 2007-02-22 14:06, A2K wrote:
The first thing I did both times (import PC and domestic 360) was play through Story Mode. I initially was going to push it off until the domestic in the first place, but with the server issues the game had at the Japanese launch I didn't really have much else to do otherwise.

The second time around was better for me, of course, since I had a much better grasp of what was being discussed. I love it, personally, as it really gave the new world they built a lot more personality. I do kind of wish all those NPCs conversations led to some sort of tangible reward, though... The lack of any real side quests (free missions don't count!) was a serious downer.

Probably the among the easiest 1000 gamerpoints that can be gotten out there, as well, if that sort of thing is your bag. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-02-22 14:07 ]</font>

Yer avatar face scares me so much when it pops up xD I always think I did somethin wrong lol. ANYwho it good to know the offline mode is fun to play I may actually give it a try soon. Key work "may" <3

Itchee
Feb 22, 2007, 08:29 PM
I refuse to play offline. I have no desire to play with a pre-made character in story mode that Sega chose for me. Also...

Real People > NPCs

jizaboz
Feb 23, 2007, 08:57 AM
I like the Story but I only have so many hours to play after work and I'd rather be getting my 10$ a month worth of online play. We do have the strategy guide that covers story mode in-depth though and I really would like to get more use out of that eventually...

Tsudori
Feb 23, 2007, 09:08 AM
I think i speak for all when i say that whenever it comes to try playing story mode you feel like your missing out on something online so you always get the urge to save your game and then go back online.

Meep
Feb 23, 2007, 09:16 AM
I only played offline the first night when it was impossible to sign up (servers were bogged down hard).

In that time I beat a few chapters...think I got to four... Ethan's belly hoody drove me up the wall, so stopped and went to bed. Next morning I was able to subscribe and got online, haven't touched it since.

jizaboz
Feb 23, 2007, 09:20 AM
Heh-heh yeah that outfit Ethen starts out with is unbearable. Reminds me of some Ambercrombie and Fitch ad with homosexual undertones...

RadiantLegend
Feb 23, 2007, 10:39 AM
Never touched offline

ZodiacNKnight
Feb 23, 2007, 11:39 AM
I played offline in story mode first, finished it, and then obtained level 100 in Extra Mode before I went online.

The story is alright but the plot is a little sketchy and the character development for the villian is just retarded.
I would recommend it to see the new missions that will come out and understand what's going on.
It helps tie into HIVE #2 and HIVE #3.

As for the style design I didn't like it...
They run each chapter like episodes in some kind anime or cartoon...
I'm not a big anime fan but a game/anime style is just weird.
Each chapter there’s a introductory video for PSU. Then an introductory to the chapter.
You then play through the chapter.
Afterwards there is a conclusion cut scene for the characters to wrap the chapter up. Then there is a finishing video for the ending of the chapter... AFTER THAT there's that dumb voice that tells you what's happening in the next episode/chapter like in cartoons. "NEXT TIME ON PSU!!!! BLAH BLAH BAH!!!!"

Sometimes it's repetitive and F***ing unbearable...
I think the first 2 to 6 chapters for the chapter conclusion they're flying in that damn flyer back home talking about their day. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZodiacNKnight on 2007-02-23 08:50 ]</font>

Rashiid
Feb 23, 2007, 11:43 AM
it was like General Hospital, cartoon style!

Siertes
Feb 23, 2007, 12:12 PM
I never played offline. My little brother did so he can tell me any significant events that occurred.

A2K
Feb 23, 2007, 12:21 PM
On 2007-02-23 08:39, ZodiacNKnight wrote:
The story is alright but the plot is a little sketchy and the character development for the villian is just retarded.

It can't be retarded if it isn't even there. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Xtian913
Feb 23, 2007, 02:05 PM
The only reason I've heard alot of 360 players say they finished it was for the easy 1000 achievement points. I'll go ahead and finish one of these days too, but for now... eh, it's just not reason enough to bare through it.

Tiyr
Feb 23, 2007, 02:07 PM
On 2007-02-23 08:39, ZodiacNKnight wrote:
I played offline in story mode first, finished it, and then obtained level 100 in Extra Mode before I went online.

I would recommend it to see the new missions that will come out and understand what's going on.
It helps tie into HIVE #2 and HIVE #3.

As for the style design I didn't like it...
They run each chapter like episodes in some kind anime or cartoon...
I'm not a big anime fan but a game/anime style is just weird.
Each chapter there’s a introductory video for PSU. Then an introductory to the chapter.
You then play through the chapter.
Afterwards there is a conclusion cut scene for the characters to wrap the chapter up. Then there is a finishing video for the ending of the chapter... AFTER THAT there's that dumb voice that tells you what's happening in the next episode/chapter like in cartoons. "NEXT TIME ON PSU!!!! BLAH BLAH BAH!!!!"

Sometimes it's repetitive and F***ing unbearable...
I think the first 2 to 6 chapters for the chapter conclusion they're flying in that damn flyer back home talking about their day. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZodiacNKnight on 2007-02-23 08:50 ]</font>

I'm certainly not going to defend the writing or anything about the plot, but you DO know you could just press enter / start to skip all the pointless stuff, right?

I'm not saying it's not stupid, but it's not like you need to watch the intro video / "Next time..." sections each time. Or anything else, for that matter.

I've played offline, mainly to get a sense for some things online (various techs, PAs, etc) without having to spend obscene amounts of time to try them out.

Akaimizu
Feb 23, 2007, 02:12 PM
Of course, the next go around of Story Mode is much better given the Another Episode banter they use, on a 2nd play through. They save all the good *make fun of ourselves* stuff for the 2nd time.