PDA

View Full Version : wtf is wrong with the A.I.??

sicotik
Feb 22, 2007, 06:00 PM
they are f***ing retarded... they get stuck on like an invisible wall and when i walk up to them to try to get them to follow me they run around like crazy and then just stand there when i start walking again. and then i go and hit alt+tab to minimize the game and the whole screen goes black next time i open it and and when i hit ctrl+alt+delete the game just closes... i really hope the online isnt gonna be like this.

Midicronica
Feb 22, 2007, 06:03 PM
Sounds like you're playing with Maya Shidow.

sicotik
Feb 22, 2007, 06:03 PM
huh?

DurakkenX
Feb 22, 2007, 06:05 PM
ummm

#1 the AI is dumb offline... it is a bit better online, but then again you don't have to deal with it online if you don't want to...of course people are dumb too though.

#2 PSU does not support alt+tab and why would you hit that anyways >.> yes it's dumb it's not supported for various reasons, but on PSOBB there is a memory leak that whenever you do that slows down the play over a length of time and eventually crashes the game. They couldn't figure out how to fix this so they disabled it...so if you do it you cause the game to crash all together.

-Rune-
Feb 22, 2007, 06:05 PM
Also sounds like you need to drink more decaf, or relax a bit *no offense* Just there not too many games where AI is awesome lol. At least I haven't found it yet. But if they were smarter, who would we make fun of? o_o;

BTW Online they're no smarter, so solutionjust replace them with human players xD

sicotik
Feb 22, 2007, 06:06 PM
i hit alt+tab so i could minamize like i said b4, how else do i minamize the game? i find it kinda gay that they dont support it...

sicotik
Feb 22, 2007, 06:07 PM
er... i have never seen AI as dumb as this, they run in circle and crap and dont follow me.

A2K
Feb 22, 2007, 06:08 PM
Your NPC partners are better as meat shields and not much more. Fortunately, for the most part in Story Mode you don't have to be particularly concerned with their well-being. If they die, they simply revive themselves a short while later.

I don't really get that full screen mode issue myself. Such a thing would normally be in place to prevent third party cheating programs from being used, but since there's a windowed mode available and Alt+Tabbing there doesn't seem to cause any harm, it's... strange. PSOBB did this too, if I recall correctly.

In Windowed Mode you can shrink it until it's basically nothing and move it out the way, if you so desire.

Edit: Don't triple post. Please edit/delete and consolidate them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-02-22 15:10 ]</font>

sicotik
Feb 22, 2007, 06:08 PM
its just dissapointing, i expected a lot more from psu.

Kaydin
Feb 22, 2007, 06:10 PM
If you want to be able to switch windows, play in window mode.

Offline AI is horrible. Online is a little better. They don't attack much, but they stay with you. No senceless running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

sicotik
Feb 22, 2007, 06:10 PM
hmm i guess i will just switch it back to window mode then

sicotik
Feb 22, 2007, 06:11 PM
well w/e i guess i will have to deal with it

Ethan-Waber
Feb 22, 2007, 06:42 PM
They are MOST LIKELY doing that because you don't use proper english and punctuation.

Mod Edit: Warned for flamebaiting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-02-23 10:18 ]</font>

EphekZ
Feb 22, 2007, 06:43 PM
There's not much of a difference, just play in window mode then make the screen bigger =)

Saigan
Feb 22, 2007, 06:46 PM
Triple posting for the win. Yep, the AI is dumb. So are people. So I guess technically isn't it life-like and spot-on? =P

sicotik
Feb 22, 2007, 07:15 PM
On 2007-02-22 15:42, Ethan-Waber wrote:
They are MOST LIKELY doing that because you don't use proper english and punctuation.

why do you have to be an asshole? its not like i was saying anything against you, i just was stating/asking that the AI was stupid and then you have to go and be a complete jerk about it.

biggabertha
Feb 23, 2007, 12:59 PM
Just be grateful you don't have to deal with Dreamcast Mome.

If there was an award for bad Artificial Intelligence, he'd win it. There was no mission harder than that mission, be forever grateful that the GameCube version, Xbox version and the Personal Computer Blue Burst versions had him pretend to be dead.

Still, I don't think the partner Machines are too bad in the attack/heal way but I have a GH-440 so I'm not so sure on how the others behave.

Akaimizu
Feb 23, 2007, 01:00 PM
Yay. Finally someone else that remembers the Dreamcast MOME. That's the guy I kept talking about in earlier threads like this. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Lastat27
Feb 23, 2007, 01:53 PM
Bruce really shows what A.I. is capable of in terms of agressiveness and damage potential (600 dmg a hit on Bil De Vears!?). Or even Ethan in online story Mission 1. A lot of A.I. does suck, Maya Shidow as said before, but whether your Offline or Online, only Human IQ makes a difference in this game.

Eliash
Feb 23, 2007, 01:56 PM
NPC's don't have AI... they are just 'A'.

ShadowDragon28
Feb 23, 2007, 03:37 PM
the "A.I." in videogames should be called " S.B.A" for Simulated Behavior Action-scripting, since polygonal based videogame NPC's do *not* have REAL A.I.

There are real A.I. programs/experiments still going on but the size of the program is huge and not yet applicable to a videogame NPC's.

The term "A.I." as used when talking about NPC's behaivor scripting is fairly misleading and a it really shouldn't be called "A.I." IMO.

Akaimizu
Feb 23, 2007, 03:56 PM
But Behavior scripting is harder to say. I think people took A.I. because of the idea of trying to make the computer play the game a little more like a human would. That is, with some more intelligent decisions, not to be confused with real intelligence.

For instance, in one case you have something like Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords; in which it is heralded by the A.I. routines. Where we know in reality it utilizes a rather large branch of scripts, much like a chess program, in order to come up with decisions that seem like a human is playing behind them. It's also obvious that there's nothing else going back there than calculated decisions according to a set playstyle; but with enough variance for somewhat right or somewhat wrong decisions, that it's sometimes hard to predict what it does. They further the suspense of disbelief by means of communication of pre-written intentions that seem earily performed by some human-player with chat macros.

So in a way, there are ways to simulate any and all of the end-products of A.I. within the bounds of a game. I think they basically make things easier by attaching the name to what they are trying to do, even if the 'I' is limited to the boundaries of said gameplay and inputs. Still, with 4X games, a lot of people do call it behavior scripting, they simply call it very complex behavior Scripting. However, it has a much less flattering acronym.

"B.S."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-02-23 12:57 ]</font>

funnymatt
Feb 23, 2007, 05:00 PM
Mome was bad, but I always hated that Ash kid more. He would run off and get killed as soon as you got to Ruins 3. What a dumbass.

FluxGryphon
Feb 24, 2007, 05:16 AM
lol Mome...Oi, I never played DC but he was such a pathetic NPC to have to put up with. XD

In soloing, I've found there's a number of ways you can deal with the NPCs and *gasp* actually get them to attack things! (Found this out on my newman when she was doing ranger levels.) If you run up around a monster, so that it's between you and the NPCs, they will generally start attacking it. I've found my 410 to be very apt at responding and slicing stuff this way. (I'll tag it, run up behind it, and she'll kill it in one or two hits. Yay for +10 levels for an itty-bitty robot lady. o.o;)

Rena had a funny comment about the Maya Shidow "AI"... XD She said something like, "Her behavior parameters must have been set to find out where the camera was aimed and stick her chest out directly in front of it. >>;"

I've actually been pretty lucky with Maya though...she actually has successfully used Reverser on me! When frozen no less! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

The 400-series generally will try to heal themselves once they get in the yellow (or lower), but sometimes they will not do so if they are not in combat. My experience with the NPCs is they are extremely fickle about when they decide 'Oh, I'm dying, I should try to cast Resta on myself!'

Other lovelies: Lou with SUV...a) facing the wrong way; b) as the last enemy dies; c) both of the above
Laia with Nanoblast...as the last enemy dies...and sometimes even as the last enemy in the mission dies. XD

Carbinne
Feb 24, 2007, 05:22 AM
I heard about the horror of MOME, which is why I was quite amused in the GC version when vs De Rol Le he prompted decided to lie down and take a nap. Good stuff.

OdinTyler
Feb 24, 2007, 11:21 AM
1. We can debate about AI for months on end. I agree. Sometimes, the NPCs (& PMs) can be brainless. Irritating even. Sometimes, they get lost & I just say f*** it & leave 'em alone while I battle alone.

2. God, do I ever remember the original Mome. Made it the hardest PSO offline quest ever, thats for sure! Freakin' Mome. He wasnt that bad...til De Rol Le, anyway. Playing PSO on the GC later on was a great surprise.

3. Regardless of what we think of NPC AI, Artificial Intelligence beats Military Intelligence (if you catch my drift). At least AI means AI. MI is a contradiction in terms.

Ethan-Waber
Feb 24, 2007, 11:53 AM
On 2007-02-22 16:15, sicotik wrote:

why do you have to be an asshole? its not like i was saying anything against you, i just was stating/asking that the AI was stupid and then you have to go and be a complete jerk about it.

AI's know how to use comma's and periods and they also capatalize the letter 'I' when used by itself. So you are more stupid than the AI's, therefore you have no right to call them stupid.

CrabRangoon
Feb 24, 2007, 12:14 PM
On 2007-02-24 08:53, Ethan-Waber wrote:

AI's know how to use comma's and periods and they also capatalize the letter 'I' when used by itself. So you are more stupid than the AI's, therefore you have no right to call them stupid.

Not to turn around and flame you the way you are doing to him, but shoudn't it be "So you are more stupid than the NPC's..." rather than "AI's"?

On topic: My solution is simple: just keep going, and don't worry about the NPC's. If you get too far away from them; i.e. they got stuck on a wall, or just decided to stop; then they will just automatically respawn near you, once you achieve a certain distance. Also, if they die, they will automatically revive, so it's not a problem. The only difference is that online, if you are carrying NPC's in your party, and they happen to die, they will cost you the pleasure of achieving and S for your mission completion. This drop you to an A, B, or C (depending on how many times characters died), which severely changes the outcome of Mission Points you earn to upgrade your class and the Meseta you're rewarded with. I don't believe that this is the case offline, but I never tried, so who knows.

LOL @ MOME memories

Yuicihi
Feb 24, 2007, 12:32 PM
You're obviously playing with Maya.
Maya's as dumb as a brain-dead chicken.

sicotik
Feb 24, 2007, 09:05 PM

dude, i was/am on a wii when i typed that and it takes a while to capatalize letters so give me a break. and fuck it, i dont think im gonna get the game online if the community is like this.

VanHalen
Feb 24, 2007, 09:21 PM
On 2007-02-24 18:05, sicotik wrote:

dude, i was/am on a wii when i typed that and it takes a while to capatalize letters so give me a break. and fuck it, i dont think im gonna get the game online if the community is like this.

no they are not all like this just him. anyway like what was said before the A.I. is a little smarter online then offline. Oh and why hate on Mome? That's a badass scientist. I mean how many scientist you know that will go right down there with you in a suit of armor and fight a giant tapeworm? How many?

You'll find alot of nice ppl online though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-02-24 18:22 ]</font>

FluxGryphon
Feb 24, 2007, 09:59 PM
On 2007-02-24 09:14, CrabRangoon wrote:
On topic: My solution is simple: just keep going, and don't worry about the NPC's. If you get too far away from them; i.e. they got stuck on a wall, or just decided to stop; then they will just automatically respawn near you, once you achieve a certain distance. Also, if they die, they will automatically revive, so it's not a problem. The only difference is that online, if you are carrying NPC's in your party, and they happen to die, they will cost you the pleasure of achieving and S for your mission completion. This drop you to an A, B, or C (depending on how many times characters died), which severely changes the outcome of Mission Points you earn to upgrade your class and the Meseta you're rewarded with. I don't believe that this is the case offline, but I never tried, so who knows.

If they die, it shouldn't affect the offline rank you get for the mission. Those are based on how fast you get through it and whether or not you managed to kill everything.

Thanks for pointing out that they do respawn near you if they get stuck. I forgot to mention that. :3 The only time when they get stuck is annoying is with Lou and the 450 'cause they both bitch at you when they rejoin. XD Lovely, ain't it?