PDA

View Full Version : PSO techs better than PSU?

natewifi
Feb 23, 2007, 05:52 PM
I was looking at the old PSO techs and kindof compared them to PSU techs, and PSO techs seem much better than PSU, IMO.

1.PSO techs had certain uniqueness to them which made them all different. ex.foie hit one enemy but did lots of damage, barta did weak damage but "pierced", zonde was quick and difficult to avoid for mid damage, and so on with Gi, Ra,
Grants and Megid (well not really megid, because it was just foie but made of darkness and has a chance of instant death for one enemy, without the Demonic Fork).

2.PSU techs are all similar, theres no special thing about them when it came to the type. ex.Damfoie, Dambarta, Damdiga, Damegid all are the same with just different SE's and element.

How do you feel about the techniques between PSO and PSU? (dont know how to post a poll sorry)

Sorry about grammar, for you ocd people.

PJ
Feb 23, 2007, 05:56 PM
That's how PSU techs are SUPPOSED to work. That's why there's more lines that just the Simple, Gi and Ra sets. They ARE pretty much the same, except different elements. That's the POINT.

And techs don't suck anymore. So I like this way better.

The Gi techs > Every PSO technique in style.

Mattardo
Feb 23, 2007, 06:15 PM
I agree. Partly. Techs are kind of good in this version, but the casting method SUCKS! What happened to Foies hitting when I want them to? What happened to my hunter character casting foie? BAH! Where are my disks? Sigh.

Rizen
Feb 23, 2007, 06:18 PM
I guess no more easy mode for Forces standing still pressing one button and being able to kill everything. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Not trying to be cold-heartedly mean...but seriously...you know its true. >>

Garnet_Moon
Feb 23, 2007, 06:21 PM
Dur, PSO techs r betr dan PSU bc im stupit and caint aim proprly.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But the spells work the same until you start using opposed element to the mobs strength. The damage increases drastically.

Mattardo
Feb 23, 2007, 06:31 PM
Slow casting animation, non-targeting aim, monsters that run around like mad and change directions for the hell of it = Sega dragging out the game to make more money a month. I have a force character and it can be extremely annoying to target some of the monsters. Of course, this is all due to my lack of intelligence, I see above. I should be able to correctly work out the proper speed and course of the monsters and then apply that knowledge to a well-placed foie shot. It mostly works. Mostly. If I take 6 shots a minute... 10 to properly align myself, oh wait, it moved, re-align myself and ...oh, it moved again. Ah, it hit the wall, Now's my chance. I use pms and npcs to stop the monsters so I can focus on them.

Garnet_Moon
Feb 23, 2007, 06:33 PM
Mattardo you just have zero skill or party with incapable tanks.

Rashiid
Feb 23, 2007, 06:34 PM
^ lol, idk why ppl say being a force is easy, when clearly its the most difficult class (tho this game is easy as dirt lol)

Garnet_Moon
Feb 23, 2007, 06:37 PM
On 2007-02-23 15:34, Rashiid wrote:
^ lol, idk why ppl say being a force is easy, when clearly its the most difficult class (tho this game is easy as dirt lol)

It's not easy. You just need a brain.

Hunter: Stand still, mash buttons, use palette mates.
Ranger: Circle strafe.
Force: Aim, shoot, kill, heal, buff.

Hunter requires 3 moves.
Ranger Requires 1 move.
Force requires 5 moves.

Force isn't hard though, you just need to know how to do it.

'sides, the only forces who complain are the ones who suck at it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-02-23 15:38 ]</font>

desolant11
Feb 23, 2007, 06:38 PM
On 2007-02-23 14:52, natewifi wrote:
I was looking at the old PSO techs and kindof compared them to PSU techs, and PSO techs seem much better than PSU, IMO.

1.PSO techs had certain uniqueness to them which made them all different. ex.foie hit one enemy but did lots of damage, barta did weak damage but "pierced", zonde was quick and difficult to avoid for mid damage, and so on with Gi, Ra,
Grants and Megid (well not really megid, because it was just foie but made of darkness and has a chance of instant death for one enemy, without the Demonic Fork).

2.PSU techs are all similar, theres no special thing about them when it came to the type. ex.Damfoie, Dambarta, Damdiga, Damegid all are the same with just different SE's and element.

How do you feel about the techniques between PSO and PSU? (dont know how to post a poll sorry)

Sorry about grammar, for you ocd people.

i feel ya on the unique qualities of the pso techniques. but theres soooooo many more on psu. so many more.

Mattardo
Feb 23, 2007, 06:49 PM
I complain at lots of things. Doesn't mean I'm bad at doing those things. I complain that my job (my real job) is difficult. It IS difficult but I am good at it. Voila. Not everyone acts or thinks like you. Must be nice to project on other people. PSO forces were better. pbbttt

Sychosis
Feb 23, 2007, 06:50 PM
There are more unique "types" of techs in PSU than PSO. Sorry.

The only reason it seems that there is more uniqueness in PSO is because the overall number of techs is smaller. The reason for this is because all tech "types" are situational, and with elements playing a large role in damage now, there had to be more redundancy in order to provide a tech that is useful in a given situation, with an element to deal maximum damage.

VanHalen
Feb 23, 2007, 06:54 PM
My short answer No.

JAFO22000
The only thing I'm not liking about the techs in this game vs. PSO is the inablility to hit more than one point on boss monsters.

I mean, my WHOLE strategy for boss fights is Diga. That's it. De Ragan? Diga. Adahna? Diga. De Ragnus? Diga. Onma and Dimma? Well, my bow but then Diga when the drop to the ground. That new boss on Moatoob? Diga. Since there is only one point I can hit, might as well use the most powerful single shot tech. Imagine being able to use Barta to hit multiple targets on De Ragan. Or Damfoie on De Ragnus when he's not looking at you. I would expect that, say, Barta would do less per hit on De Ragan than Diga would, but if it could hit five or six places, it would work out to do more damage/cast. It would also add a sense of strategy, such as if you stand over here, you can hit 6 spots by casting Barta, but if he moves this way, I'll shoot Diga because I can only hit one spot, then when he turns again, I can get him with Rabarta...

Yeah.

I almost enjoy fighting the mini bosses better. I use a larger variety of techs.

Mattardo
I will admit that the number of techs are greater and can be more impressive. I love some of the newer spells and how they perform. DA was nice until level 21 dambarta.... now it's unuseable!

Mattardo
Feb 23, 2007, 06:56 PM
THe only time I use a tech on a boss other than Diga is to level it. Or if I'm bored.

natewifi
Feb 23, 2007, 06:58 PM
Garnet_Moon your going on a flame streak, calm down. And wtf are you talking about? I was a force and aiming is not hard at all. Stop trying to make it look like being a force is a million times harder than it is, and stop making it look like forces bust there asses and do all the work. You dont press 5 buttons to cast 1 technique at a time, and 5 buttons isnt even alot. BTW why are you acting like this if you use buffs on your team mates (i'm assuming you do), when using buffs requires sympathy and team work, not being a jerk like what your doing.

Being a force requires patience and little skill. Using buffs is using 2 or three buttons at a slow pase, after killing the enemies (unless your a dumb force who casts buffs in the middle of battle). Casting time is slow and your character stops for a moment after casting other than that there is no skill your just being offensive because your not confident being a force or you would not have reacted like you did. When it comes to using stuff like diga, foie, barta, and so on, all you do is strafe like your using a handgun but slower.

The only techniques that are hard to use are the Ra techs for me. I gotta give all my force friends props for having Ra techs above lv.21.

PJ
Feb 23, 2007, 06:59 PM
Sorry, Forces in PSO, in comparison, sucked. Thanks to retarded high-resistant enemies, techs did shit for damage. Every other force pretty much just did S/D/J/Z and sucked ass at melee.

Sychosis
Feb 23, 2007, 06:59 PM
On 2007-02-23 15:54, JAFO22000 wrote:
The only thing I'm not liking about the techs in this game vs. PSO is the inablility to hit more than one point on boss monsters.

I mean, my WHOLE strategy for boss fights is Diga. That's it. De Ragan? Diga. Adahna? Diga. De Ragnus? Diga. Onma and Dimma? Well, my bow but then Diga when the drop to the ground. That new boss on Moatoob? Diga. Since there is only one point I can hit, might as well use the most powerful single shot tech. Imagine being able to use Barta to hit multiple targets on De Ragan. Or Damfoie on De Ragnus when he's not looking at you. I would expect that, say, Barta would do less per hit on De Ragan than Diga would, but if it could hit five or six places, it would work out to do more damage/cast. It would also add a sense of strategy, such as if you stand over here, you can hit 6 spots by casting Barta, but if he moves this way, I'll shoot Diga because I can only hit one spot, then when he turns again, I can get him with Rabarta...

Yeah.

I almost enjoy fighting the mini bosses better. I use a larger variety of techs.

I love you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_kuddel.gif

Mattardo
Feb 23, 2007, 07:04 PM
It was a lot easier to use techs that weren't linked to a weapon. That was a plus. If youre pallette was full, it was nothing to use the other menu to cast techs..

A2K
Feb 23, 2007, 07:05 PM
On 2007-02-23 15:54, JAFO22000 wrote:

Yeah.

Because Dimmagolus is ground-type, Foie would potentially do more damage to it than Diga.

Otherwise, I agree completely on this point. When the Nos-technics are release and we get to play around with those, that may shake things up a bit as well.

The one thing annoys me the most about technics in PSU is the complete lack of true anti-air attacks. (I am aware Noszonde and Nosmegid can home in on a flying enemy, but it's not quite the same thing.) Why are there no technics I can aim upward? I suppose bows fill this void, a bit, but it doesn't make sense to me that I can't point a wand upward and launch Foie in some unfortunate creature's direction.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-02-23 16:07 ]</font>

Rizen
Feb 23, 2007, 07:14 PM
On 2007-02-23 15:58, natewifi wrote:
Using buffs is using 2 or three buttons at a slow pase, after killing the enemies (unless your a dumb force who casts buffs in the middle of battle).]

Woah woah woah...so you call a Force who is willing to make sure their party is buffed at all times dumb? Buddy, you got twisted logic there. Buffs dont take that long to cast and helps out the party in the long run. Also, buffing during the middle of battle is a good strategy to keep the party moving so you dont have to pause to make sure everyone is around you (majority of the time one or two dont bother to gather for buffs and run off). You might argue that everyone is too spaced out to buff, but thats not a big deal really; most of the time, everyone is close enough to get tagged by the buff. Range of buffing shouldnt be too big a problem for Forces except for Guntechers.

Anyway, after a buff, a force can go straight back to nuking and doing whatever is needed to.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2007-02-23 16:16 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Feb 23, 2007, 07:19 PM
Garnet_Moon your going on a flame streak, calm down. And wtf are you talking about? I was a force and aiming is not hard at all. Stop trying to make it look like being a force is a million times harder than it is, and stop making it look like forces bust there asses and do all the work. You dont press 5 buttons to cast 1 technique at a time, and 5 buttons isnt even alot. BTW why are you acting like this if you use buffs on your team mates (i'm assuming you do), when using buffs requires sympathy and team work, not being a jerk like what your doing.

Being a force requires patience and little skill. Using buffs is using 2 or three buttons at a slow pase, after killing the enemies (unless your a dumb force who casts buffs in the middle of battle). Casting time is slow and your character stops for a moment after casting other than that there is no skill your just being offensive because your not confident being a force or you would not have reacted like you did. When it comes to using stuff like diga, foie, barta, and so on, all you do is strafe like your using a handgun but slower.

The only techniques that are hard to use are the Ra techs for me. I gotta give all my force friends props for having Ra techs above lv.21.

Considering i've played all 3 archetypes to 50+ I think I know a little more about it than you do...

natewifi
Feb 23, 2007, 07:34 PM
On 2007-02-23 16:19, Garnet_Moon wrote:

Considering i've played all 3 archetypes to 50+ I think I know a little more about it than you do...

Wait a second RIZEN I sed if your trying to cast in the middle of battle than before going into battle that seems dumb to me, its common sence to do it before hand so you can get a hit in before all your team mates kill everything while your in the middle of casting s/d/z/r. Moon you can say w/e you want but im not convincing* that you know better than me cause you have more posts than I do, btw you cant tell me what I know about being a force because you dont know me or what I do, plus I never sed anything about "I know more than you", I was criticising your retarded stategy. Enough argueing lets get back to the topic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: natewifi on 2007-02-23 16:36 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: natewifi on 2007-02-23 16:37 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: natewifi on 2007-02-23 16:42 ]</font>

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 23, 2007, 07:42 PM
nothing in PSO is better than PSU. I tried playing PSO again yesterday, and I just couldn't take it!

THE JACKEL

Feelmirath
Feb 23, 2007, 07:52 PM
On 2007-02-23 16:34, natewifi wrote:
Wait a second RIZEN I sed if your trying to cast in the middle of battle than before going into battle that seems dumb to me, its common sence to do it before hand so you can get a hit in before all your team mates kill everything while your in the middle of casting s/d/z/r.

Fatal flaw- almost nobody waits for you to cast buffs u_u

Only people that do wait for me are friends and, oh, about 4 other people? >_>

Sychosis
Feb 23, 2007, 07:57 PM
On 2007-02-23 16:42, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
I tried playing PSO again yesterday, and I just couldn't take it!

I know what you mean. Trying to play PSO:BB now is just so hard. Nearly everything about it seems terrible by comparison.

Rizen
Feb 23, 2007, 08:03 PM
Wait a second RIZEN I sed if your trying to cast in the middle of battle than before going into battle that seems dumb to me, its common sence to do it before hand so you can get a hit in before all your team mates kill everything while your in the middle of casting s/d/z/r.

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but I still sticking to my guns here. You aren't always going to have the pleasure to being 100% aware that your buffs are going to fade. Sometimes battles last a bit long and buffs will fade when you least expect it.

As for tagging, thats not a big deal either. One simple cast of a debuff or AoE spell and you are along your way with buffing S/D/Z/R (also you dont need to toss every buff on your party in the middle of the battle just the ones needed to get the job done then rebuff).

I'm not trying to fight here but gotta make sure you make your point clear. Also I have a tendency to go off on people who use the words "dumb", "stupid", "useless", "worthless", or "pointless". I know its their opinion but it shows a sign of biase and if you dont got backing its just more of an insult than anything.

And the reason I haven't said anything to Garnet is the fact that we have been back and forward about things to the point where I just don't bother anymore. She has a clear superior attitude and its better to just ignore. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Hi btw~

natewifi
Feb 23, 2007, 08:11 PM
On 2007-02-23 17:03, Rizen wrote:

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but I still sticking to my guns here. You aren't always going to have the pleasure to being 100% aware that your buffs are going to fade. Sometimes battles last a bit long and buffs will fade when you least expect it.

As for tagging, thats not a big deal either. One simple cast of a debuff or AoE spell and you are along your way with buffing S/D/Z/R (also you dont need to toss every buff on your party in the middle of the battle just the ones needed to get the job done then rebuff).

I'm not trying to fight here but gotta make sure you make your point clear. Also I have a tendency to go off on people who use the words "dumb", "stupid", "useless", "worthless", or "pointless". I know its their opinion but it shows a sign of biase and if you dont got backing its just more of an insult than anything.

And the reason I haven't said anything to Garnet is the fact that we have been back and forward about things to the point where I just don't bother anymore. She has a clear superior attitude and its better to just ignore. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Hi btw~

I responded the way I did because of the way he/she responded to other peoples opinion and I treated them the way they wanted to be the treated.
HI!!! *spikey bubble*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: natewifi on 2007-02-23 17:12 ]</font>

Flamingo99
Feb 23, 2007, 08:50 PM
i just miss pso in general.... everything about that game was amazing. I may start playing it again, now that I've quit this for the second time.

pineapple
Feb 23, 2007, 09:22 PM
I think a better conclusion is PSO techs were more interesting, but not necessarily better than the ones in PSU. Plus it kind of makes sense that more than just the element would change with different spells.

In PSU one is never going to be in a situation where he really wants to use zonde, for example, because of the way it works, but has to decide if it is worth the lesser damage. I have more experience with FOs in PSO though, so I could be wrong.

vfloresjr24
Feb 23, 2007, 09:29 PM
All through out pso I was only using resta only(shifta/deband with RAmarl/HUnewearl) as a hunter or ranger. All the other techs didn't appeal to me. That goes for the same for psu but I am limited to one tech as a hunter so I lost all interest in techs in general. I also now have gotten use to using mono-, di-,and trimates.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vfloresjr24 on 2007-02-23 18:31 ]</font>

Mattardo
Feb 23, 2007, 09:33 PM
Foie was great for anyone against Dark Falz and his third form, I think it was.... yes.

Callous
Feb 24, 2007, 08:15 AM
Of course PSO techs are better. Most things in PSO are better.

natewifi
Feb 24, 2007, 09:58 AM
On 2007-02-24 05:15, Callous wrote:
Of course PSO techs are better. Most things in PSO are better.

gifoie-a wide shield like tech . slow but good dmg.
gizonde-strikes everything infront of you, for weak mid damage.
gibarta-wider shorter ranged ver of barta.
rafoie-long range explody, hits everything around who got hit by it.
razonde-quick ver. of gifoie for quick damage instead of like a shield.
rabarta-short ver of razonde.
grants-Raines photon tech.
megid-instant dead.
There all different, and they all become more different once they get higher instead of just looking really dramatic, they actually changed into a "evolved" ver of itself like gifoie is quick and short at low lv. then becomes a huge shield like tech cuz it reaches far away and is slow.
IMO barta, zonde, and foie techs that once hit lv.30 looked way better than the techs now.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Feb 24, 2007, 10:58 AM
On one hand, I like PSU techs, but on the other hand, I like PSO techs way more.

What I do like about PSU techs, is that they are far more potent than PSO's. As a Hybrid class, I can actually deal good tech damage. Whereas in PSO, all you ever casted if you werent a FO was Support, debuffs, tagging spells like rafoie, hitting invincible enemies like DF, and occassionally something like rabarta to try and freeze something. In PSU, I feel like it's actually worth my time to cast offensive techs as a wartecher, and sometimes, techs become MORE worth it if an enemy is particularly hard to deal with using melee. (bugs for example)

Another good thing about the techs in PSU is the much wider variety of status effects that can be inflicted. More classes of spells such as damu and nosu as well as a whole new school of spells in Diga are also great things about PSU.

My problems with PSU's techs lies mostly in PSU's shotty action palate design. When I only have space for 6 weapon sets, It starts to get hard to choose what I want. So I usually go with three melee weapons, and three canes. ok.... but the problem is, once I put on all the essential spells, (one cane for resta/reverser, one cane for two buffs) then I only have one cane left for whatever offensive, or other defensive spells I want. So I can never cast all of the buffs, unless I want to take up two slots. And debuffs are almost out of the question. Not to mention, Now my offensive melee selection is limited as well. (at least I can always have a gun out =| cuz, you know how people make wartechers just to use their guns)

Another fault of psu's tech system, if you ask me, is their being attached to fo weapons. Ok, so I guess this is interesting in a way... And it makes it "more challenging" if you like to call it that. (I personally call it "limited gameplay") but whatever. Not being able to cast my techs while using my melee weapons really bugs me. In PSO it was great... you had your weapon out... you had your 6 slotted palate... usually containing 2-3 attacks, and the rest techs (for HUney) And then, aside from that action palatte... You can also cast ANY tech you want from the convenient quick tech menu. This was a great place to store crucial support techs S/D... so that they were easily accessable when you needed them, but not taking up space on your main palatte. This allowed for a very versatile hybrid character that seemless flowed between melee and casting. With PSU's clunky system, I can quickly swap from sword to cane... but once I'm on cane, I can only cast two things... unless I switch to a different cane... (which is saying alot if you are playing on a PS2 like myself) Usually I end up playing in Melee mode, or tech mode. whichever seems to be working better. Frankly, I would rather play both at once. Isn't that what hybrid classes are for?

New classes of spells can be pretty cool... Dam spells are very fun. I don't like the annoying limit on enemies I can hit with Ra and Gi techs (although Gi's limit isn't a problem very often) I do like leveling my techs in PSU, but finding disks was cool too, so thats kind of a toss up.
PSO's techs did have a bit more character than PSU's. Nothing quite like the old Gifoie...

All in all, I would have to say PSU's techs are worse off than PSO's due mostly to PSU's combersome and inconvenient weapon palate mechanic.

Mio
Feb 24, 2007, 12:50 PM
Garnet Moon i have all 3 kind of characters at level 66 (force), 61 (ranger) and 53 (hunter)

This is a simple game, and it's not true that rangers need just to hit 1 button...

1: You need to Aim, like a mage, but you're faster ( and your damage is gimped compared to force )
2: You need to load the proper ammo for any situation ( even while fighting! ) Deciding if it's better to deal more damage or inflicting a particular Status Effect ( for example: Use Ice bullets vs any kind of worm )
3: Use the right ranged weapon against the right mob, talking about worms, i prefer using ice rifle, but with slow and small mobs i prefer using my mechgun...
4: In a Boss fight while a force just spam diga, as a ranger you have to first person aim the weak spot and have the skill to remove first person, dodge and go again in first person mode.
5: Traps, rarely I see a ranger using traps, and more rarely i see rangers using traps different from fire and dark ones. Managing the good paralyzing, freezing, sleeping traps is a good way to play more efficentely your class.
6: Your bullets level requires more grind than anything else, and you need many if you want to be an efficent ranger

Overall i like ranger better than force, and i also played guntecher.

I bet you like your ranger too ( I assume? ) But you don't need to say rangers are "press 1 button" jobs that's not true. I play more smootly when i switch Fighunner, just using double sabers and spamming gravity dance ( and dealing OMG damages )

Alisha
Feb 25, 2007, 02:41 AM
On 2007-02-23 16:42, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
nothing in PSO is better than PSU. I tried playing PSO again yesterday, and I just couldn't take it!

THE JACKEL

your ludicrous.

in terms of function pso techs kick the crap out of psu techs ESPECIALLY support techs. in psu if someone needs healed you need to completely stop what your doing to heal them then to resume to what you were previously doing you need to switch back to your previous weapon.

note:i played fomarl in pso so i rarely equiped force weapons.

lol grants owns the hell out of regrants.

Sexy_Raine
Feb 25, 2007, 12:42 PM
On 2007-02-24 07:58, Non-Toxic-Crayons wrote:
On one hand, I like PSU techs, but on the other hand, I like PSO techs way more.

What I do like about PSU techs, is that they are far more potent than PSO's. As a Hybrid class, I can actually deal good tech damage. Whereas in PSO, all you ever casted if you werent a FO was Support, debuffs, tagging spells like rafoie, hitting invincible enemies like DF, and occassionally something like rabarta to try and freeze something. In PSU, I feel like it's actually worth my time to cast offensive techs as a wartecher, and sometimes, techs become MORE worth it if an enemy is particularly hard to deal with using melee. (bugs for example)

Another good thing about the techs in PSU is the much wider variety of status effects that can be inflicted. More classes of spells such as damu and nosu as well as a whole new school of spells in Diga are also great things about PSU.

My problems with PSU's techs lies mostly in PSU's shotty action palate design. When I only have space for 6 weapon sets, It starts to get hard to choose what I want. So I usually go with three melee weapons, and three canes. ok.... but the problem is, once I put on all the essential spells, (one cane for resta/reverser, one cane for two buffs) then I only have one cane left for whatever offensive, or other defensive spells I want. So I can never cast all of the buffs, unless I want to take up two slots. And debuffs are almost out of the question. Not to mention, Now my offensive melee selection is limited as well. (at least I can always have a gun out =| cuz, you know how people make wartechers just to use their guns)

Another fault of psu's tech system, if you ask me, is their being attached to fo weapons. Ok, so I guess this is interesting in a way... And it makes it "more challenging" if you like to call it that. (I personally call it "limited gameplay") but whatever. Not being able to cast my techs while using my melee weapons really bugs me. In PSO it was great... you had your weapon out... you had your 6 slotted palate... usually containing 2-3 attacks, and the rest techs (for HUney) And then, aside from that action palatte... You can also cast ANY tech you want from the convenient quick tech menu. This was a great place to store crucial support techs S/D... so that they were easily accessable when you needed them, but not taking up space on your main palatte. This allowed for a very versatile hybrid character that seemless flowed between melee and casting. With PSU's clunky system, I can quickly swap from sword to cane... but once I'm on cane, I can only cast two things... unless I switch to a different cane... (which is saying alot if you are playing on a PS2 like myself) Usually I end up playing in Melee mode, or tech mode. whichever seems to be working better. Frankly, I would rather play both at once. Isn't that what hybrid classes are for?

New classes of spells can be pretty cool... Dam spells are very fun. I don't like the annoying limit on enemies I can hit with Ra and Gi techs (although Gi's limit isn't a problem very often) I do like leveling my techs in PSU, but finding disks was cool too, so thats kind of a toss up.
PSO's techs did have a bit more character than PSU's. Nothing quite like the old Gifoie...

All in all, I would have to say PSU's techs are worse off than PSO's due mostly to PSU's combersome and inconvenient weapon palate mechanic.

I got to agree with you. That is the reason why I ditched the idea of a Huney, because they suck(too bad, I loved them in PSO). The system killed it, therefore I went pure force and couldn't be more satisfied.

Techs themselves are better in PSU, but PSO's system was better in every possible way when it came to using techs.

Scion
Feb 25, 2007, 01:28 PM
Hey! First post! =P

Anyways, I can't really say I liked one system's over the other. I mean, there was something about both of them that made me love it, and completely hate it at the same time. In PSO, the techs came off so much faster than in PSU. Almost instantaneously, actually. And they weren't restricted to the number of targets it was able to hit. You could basically nuke everything in the room with rafoie blindfolded. Thing is though, if you weren't a force, the only techs you'd be using (as some people have mentioned already) were resta, anti, and s/d. Heck, even if you were a force, there were some situations where teching wouldn't help you: Chaos Bringers, anyone? (I mean, after you rabarta the hell out of that thing just to freeze it, you're really left with nothing left to do except let the hunters and rangers take it down for you).

Now, PSU is pretty much the exact opposite. The casting time is MUCH slower, the number of targets are restricted (depending on which one you're using), but they are so much more powerful. I thought the 1250 hp that my FOney was healing was a lot. But then, when my male beast friend, who had nearly 2.5k hp, was near death and I healed him back to almost full health (I think my value was somewhere along the lines of 2k-2.1k hp), I almost fainted x_x. Now, I'm a male, so if my FO was a girl, my friend probably would've been healed completely xD.

So...

PSO:
+Faster techs
+No target number restrictions
-Weak damage
-Couldn't make full use of them if you weren't a force.

PSU:
+More damage
+Hybrid classes can make use of them (well, I'm not too sure on GT's...I know if mine used diga, it'd probably be worse than using an actual gun, xD)
+Visually more impressive (well, I think anyway)
-Restricted on the number of targets it could hit
-Slower casting time, making it harder to aim (man...you don't know how long it took me to relearn how to play a force again...heheh).

So, yeah, there's my two cents, xD. I'd have a hard time picking between one or the other (there are more pluses on PSU...but visuals aren't THAT important, so I don't really count that as a plus, lol). Techs rock...period. =D

XDeviousX
Feb 25, 2007, 02:32 PM
A) Wands cast quicker then rods

B) Units can be bought and found to increase casting speed

C) Damage is better in psu, pso techs are only good early and have crappy damage later on... PSU techs are great at the start and great later on if you lvl them instead of using buffs and trying to be a hunter...

The reason there are things that seem better and worse about techs now is because there is BALANCE now. Some things got better like damage and there are actually more techs on PSU with more to come (Dizas, grants,rentis, etc) while they scaled down other things like casting speed, range, and target numbers. That is why there are units to increase the way you play, you can get units to boost speep, range, damage, etc based on how you play. If they kept everything the same as pso and added the benifits of PSU forces would unbalance the game and noby would get xp and everyone would have a force. There is a good balance of character types out there with the majority i'd say being fighgunners, fortefighters, and foretechers. I have a force and I find aiming to not be soo bad if you're willing to use a spell that casts in a wall for quicker enemies or use a buff/bow combo, but over all tactics and skill is key to using a force in PSU. In PSO after awhile forcers were nothing more then buff and debuffing healers that were only good at fighting dark fatlz with foi.....

Scion
Feb 25, 2007, 02:39 PM
Correct, I forgot to mention the whole balance thing. xD. Of course it'd have to to work that way or it'd just be a radiga fest everywhere you went, lol.