PDA

View Full Version : PSU: Speculation: PSU Expansion on Wii?

dgg116
Feb 26, 2007, 02:09 PM
Today on the boards was a great discussion of the PSU expansion that may be coming to us sometime in the future. If we look back at PSO's release history, over the years, it came to new platforms as expansions rolled out. In that light, here's a couple of neat questions.

1. Will PSU in some form ever be released for Wii?

2. How could the Wii controller be used to create innovative gameplay?

I think it would be pretty neat to see the Wii controls used in the first person shooting mode for starters. Enjoy!

Sychosis
Feb 26, 2007, 02:11 PM
The only reason PSO expanded onto other consoles is because SEGA went under as a hardware manufacturer.

Golto
Feb 26, 2007, 02:11 PM
I can't see it coming to Wii.

CyarVictor
Feb 26, 2007, 02:13 PM
I don't see it either. And if so, how'd you communicate or what systems would be linked. Would Wii be a stand alone like 360?

dgg116
Feb 26, 2007, 02:21 PM
I would say it would be neat if they linked X360 to Wii. The population base is definitely dwindling on PC/PS2.

Esufer
Feb 26, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'd like to see PSU on wii about as much as I'd like to see a gameboy port of Halo 3.

JAFO22000
Feb 26, 2007, 02:37 PM
On 2007-02-26 11:09, dgg116 wrote:

Let's see:

-You could throw it out the window when you fail your synth.

-After breaking an 8 grinded weapon going for grind # 9, you could repeatedly hit yourself in the head with the nunchuck controler

-You could put a small weight on either end and work your biceps as you spam Diga throughout every mission you ever do.

-Perhaps you could throw the controller on the ground to simulate the third part of the Gravity Dance PA?

-Rangers: Maybe a scope can be placed on the controller and when you bring the scope up to your eye, it zooms to first person mode!

Let's face it, the Wii is a niche machine. Games are developed with the system in mind. You will hardly see the same game ported to PS3, 360 and the Wii. More likely, you will see a game company that has a franchise game put the "real" version on PS3 and 360 and make up a different type of game using the franchise for the Wii. See Tony Hawk and Sonic.

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 26, 2007, 02:37 PM
would never happen anyways, even if Sega wanted to, just because of the way Nintendo currently handles their online games.

THE JACKEL

hollowtip
Feb 26, 2007, 02:58 PM
On 2007-02-26 11:37, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
would never happen anyways, even if Sega wanted to, just because of the way Nintendo currently handles their online games.

THE JACKEL

This is the #1 reason. I think some of you guys forget the fact that the Wii does have gamecube controler ports, so the wiimote doesn't have to be used for controling purposes.

Sethimothy
Feb 26, 2007, 03:53 PM
I could see a Phantasy Star style game releases exclusively for the Wii, but due to the nature of the machine there's no way that there would be a port of Phantasy Star Universe. The game would have to be modified for the Wii's graphics, set up around the Gamecube's controller or, failing that, have a very radical redesign to take advantage of the machine's main controller... and then there's the issue of whether or not the Wii could handle networked games in the style of PSU (most online games on the Wii deals with Friend's Codes.)

Randomness
Feb 26, 2007, 04:00 PM
On 2007-02-26 12:53, Sethimothy wrote:
I could see a Phantasy Star style game releases exclusively for the Wii, but due to the nature of the machine there's no way that there would be a port of Phantasy Star Universe. The game would have to be modified for the Wii's graphics, set up around the Gamecube's controller or, failing that, have a very radical redesign to take advantage of the machine's main controller... and then there's the issue of whether or not the Wii could handle networked games in the style of PSU (most online games on the Wii deals with Friend's Codes.)

Will deal with the damned friend code system... it should just list games like every other online game.

Rashiid
Feb 26, 2007, 04:01 PM
No way Jose.

cant see it happenin.

jayster
Feb 26, 2007, 05:09 PM
wii gets zelda and super smash brothers. Just let us keep our psu.

MrFortegunner
Feb 26, 2007, 07:02 PM
PSU WOULD BE GREAT ON THE WII!!!! just think, every attack you do can be your own special PA! however you move your sword, that how it moves on the console, where ever you point your gun, that's where you'll shoot, and for TECH's, you could cock back you're arm, and throw your foie ball at people! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Esufer
Feb 26, 2007, 07:03 PM
On 2007-02-26 16:02, MrFortegunner wrote:
PSU WOULD BE GREAT ON THE WII!!!! just think, every attack you do can be your own special PA! however you move your sword, that how it moves on the console, where ever you point your gun, that's where you'll shoot, and for TECH's, you could cock back you're arm, and throw your foie ball at people! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

I am praying that's sarcasm.

RadiantLegend
Feb 26, 2007, 07:20 PM
Do you know one when you see one? XD

-Ryuki-
Feb 26, 2007, 07:34 PM
I'm saddened that the Wii community doesn't like Trauma Center.

I'll scalpel you all >.>

omegapirate2k
Feb 26, 2007, 07:59 PM
On 2007-02-26 16:03, Reigast wrote:

I would hope so.

Those kinds of idea ideas would be fun, but meh, it's not at all likely to happen.

If they were to adapt the play mechanics of that into a FULLY offline wii title (NEW OFFLINE PS GAME??), that would just be awesome.

Emrald
Feb 26, 2007, 08:45 PM
On 2007-02-26 11:21, dgg116 wrote:
I would say it would be neat if they linked X360 to Wii. The population base is definitely dwindling on PC/PS2.

can we not trashtalk ps2/pc servers?

On 2007-02-26 11:23, Reigast wrote:
I'd like to see PSU on wii about as much as I'd like to see a gameboy port of Halo 3.

that'd be AWESOME

PALRAPPYS
Feb 26, 2007, 09:50 PM
Eh... IMO, Wii would work, but, it could get in the way. Let's say, oh, Sega decided to get some new kind of update in, like the one last Friday for 360 servers where we had to download that patch. Could the Wii handle that? I honestly don't know... but it would be nice to see PSU's population growing... but then... maybe more non-core gamers would come in and have no idea what to do and ruin our ranks on C De Ragan. Oh what the heck.

But I could see it happening. At least my friend on the PC version wouldn't have to spend $400+ to get on the X360 version he dreams of every day.

Who cares! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 26, 2007, 10:08 PM
The Wii constantly downloads crap to it. Downloading a Patch would not be hard for it. I mean they update the system every week.

Basically the control scheme would be easy. Swing remote to attack. Hold B(trigger) and swing for PA. Hold A to switch to left hand(secondary rod) B fires gun. Or if it's a rod. Swing does a spell. B and swing does a spell. A and swing does a spell. A+B and swing does a spell.

It's really not that hard to do. Plus that leaves buttons +, -, 1, 2, Z, and C all open, as well as the directional Pad. There are more than enough buttons open to do it and implement the Wii controls fine.

THE JACKEL

RuPiKa
Feb 26, 2007, 10:12 PM
I think a off-shoot of PSO would be better on the Wii, maybe a Ep.5? What else is Sega gonna do with the PSo servers that are comming off-line in a month or two and I would be a chance to bring in some new aspects to that game. Even some PSu styled twists.

MrFortegunner
Feb 26, 2007, 10:14 PM
On 2007-02-26 16:03, Reigast wrote:

Heck No IT AIN'T!!!! I'm Serious, it'd be cool. Hard to make, but nevertheless, cool.

foamcup
Feb 26, 2007, 10:39 PM
Wii will be getting a new Crystal Chronicles game, it doesn't need a online Phantasy Star game.

RedX
Feb 26, 2007, 11:18 PM
Contrary to what most people here think, it wouldn't be that hard to port. They could basically have the same control scheme as they do for the PC, just replace pressing the arrow keys to moving the "cursor" off screen in that direction. If anyone here has played Budokai Tenkaichi 2 on the Wii they will know it gets quite natural and is easy to do. For off hand you could just hold B then the direction. That would give you almost all the buttons for the menus and shortcuts. As for friend code it would just work the same way as gamertag's do, there is nothing that says that you HAVE to have it the way the have it set up like on the DS. Because really right now there are no Wii online games, and if you think about it, can a DS really handle something like an MMO.

Sekani
Feb 27, 2007, 12:53 AM
On 2007-02-26 11:37, JAFO22000 wrote:

On 2007-02-26 11:09, dgg116 wrote:

Let's see:

-You could throw it out the window when you fail your synth.

-After breaking an 8 grinded weapon going for grind # 9, you could repeatedly hit yourself in the head with the nunchuck controler

-You could put a small weight on either end and work your biceps as you spam Diga throughout every mission you ever do.

-Perhaps you could throw the controller on the ground to simulate the third part of the Gravity Dance PA?

-Rangers: Maybe a scope can be placed on the controller and when you bring the scope up to your eye, it zooms to first person mode!

Let's face it, the Wii is a niche machine. Games are developed with the system in mind. You will hardly see the same game ported to PS3, 360 and the Wii. More likely, you will see a game company that has a franchise game put the "real" version on PS3 and 360 and make up a different type of game using the franchise for the Wii. See Tony Hawk and Sonic.

This is the best post I've read on this forum all month http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

dgg116
Feb 27, 2007, 02:00 AM
On 2007-02-26 19:08, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
The Wii constantly downloads crap to it. Downloading a Patch would not be hard for it. I mean they update the system every week.

Basically the control scheme would be easy. Swing remote to attack. Hold B(trigger) and swing for PA. Hold A to switch to left hand(secondary rod) B fires gun. Or if it's a rod. Swing does a spell. B and swing does a spell. A and swing does a spell. A+B and swing does a spell.

It's really not that hard to do. Plus that leaves buttons +, -, 1, 2, Z, and C all open, as well as the directional Pad. There are more than enough buttons open to do it and implement the Wii controls fine.

THE JACKEL

As far as the programming goes on the Wii side, its just a matter mapping the controls effectively as described above. Graphically, if the PS2 can handle it, the Wii most definitely can as a port. My question would be Nintendo's support of the product. Sega might be leary considering network play has never been Nintendo's strong point.

landman
Feb 27, 2007, 02:56 AM
On 2007-02-26 19:39, foamcup wrote:
Wii will be getting a new Crystal Chronicles game, it doesn't need a online Phantasy Star game.

Online game for Crystal Chronicles has been cancelled, Square-Enix didn't like the crappy online system on wii

-Ryuki-
Feb 27, 2007, 06:14 AM
On 2007-02-26 23:56, landman wrote:

Online game for Crystal Chronicles has been cancelled, Square-Enix didn't like the crappy online system on wii

Proof, or it didn't happen. Being that there's only one game even out for online play on the Wii, I don't see how Square decided it wasn't worth it.

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 27, 2007, 06:44 AM
On 2007-02-27 03:14, RyukiZero wrote:

Proof, or it didn't happen. Being that there's only one game even out for online play on the Wii, I don't see how Square decided it wasn't worth it.

I'd like to know where he gots this information as well, considering I read up on all the latest Square-Enix news and know plenty about what is going on there, and have heard nothing on their online plans for the Wii. On any game.

THE JACKEL

forevergamer
Mar 1, 2007, 05:13 AM
were already comfortable with the PS2 and PC.why add another one?that would only cost money again.and it would be the same thing on your PC.and besides,PSU is doing fine without it.

Been a gamer before,been a game still...

therealAERO
Mar 1, 2007, 06:31 AM
Ur all a bunch of damn haters....most of you, you know who you are

Sylpheed
Mar 1, 2007, 08:18 AM
I have a wii aswell as a 360 i cant see PSU being able to work on the wii the controller would not be able to adapt to comfortable controls and there would be no way to communicate to other players.

JaiBlue
Mar 1, 2007, 11:57 AM
I'm so sick of hearing these "Do you think [insert game name here] should be playable on the Wii? all because people think it would make the game 100x times funner using the "innovative nunchuck feature" anyone who thinks like ths seriously needs:

[+] A reality check
[ ] A girfriend
[ ] A life
[+] A grip
[+] A good ole fashion slap across the face
[+] To GTFO
[+] To STFU
[+] To stop thinking that swinging a controller will automatically make any game better than it already is.

Genji
Mar 1, 2007, 12:04 PM
On 2007-02-27 03:44, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

On 2007-02-27 03:14, RyukiZero wrote:

I'd like to know where he gots this information as well, considering I read up on all the latest Square-Enix news and know plenty about what is going on there, and have heard nothing on their online plans for the Wii. On any game.

THE JACKEL

Square-Enix publicly chastised Nintendo for sticking to the horrible Friend Code system.

"Square Enix's Senior Vice President Hiromichi Tanaka empathizes, highlighting the friend code system as the primary reason they haven't brought an online game like Final Fantasy XI onto the console."

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/01/square-enix-blames-wii-friend-codes-for-lack-of-ffxi/

Tomeeboy
Mar 1, 2007, 12:59 PM
I thought I had read that the Wii's online system was going to change from the friend code thing and that online kits were already in developers' hands.

Anyway, I don't think I'd rule out the possibility of a Wii release of PSU. Afterall, Takao Miyoshi seemed to like the idea when we interviewed him at E3:
http://www.pso-world.com/phantasy-star-universe-e3-2006-takao-miyoshi.php

Assuming that the Wii's online network gets some improvements, I'd think that Sega/ST would be wanting to get the game on Wii, as the console appeals to a large portion of GameCube owners.

PJ
Mar 1, 2007, 01:02 PM
On 2007-03-01 09:59, Tomeeboy wrote:

Assuming that the Wii's online network gets some improvements, I'd think that Sega/ST would be wanting to get the game on Wii, as the console appeals to a large portion of everyone owners.

I think with the popularity of the Wii, it just really doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Cracka_J
Mar 1, 2007, 02:01 PM
again, I don't understand all the random hate.

There is a classic controller for wii. In the future, you will begin to see many lazy developers (in this case, it may be sega) using this controller to easily port their games over that they have previously released on other systems. No extra motion sensor programming involved. The wiimote gimmick may have been tremendously successful for launch, but just wait to see how lazy 3rd party porters get. For that reason alone, I can totally see a port of PSU heading for wii. Don't know how excited about it I would get, but it would open up the game to another group of players.....or perhaps divide the ps2/pc server even further.