PDA

View Full Version : Buying Meseta?

jayster
Feb 27, 2007, 08:05 PM
Well I was playing with a guy today and he had a full palette of A rank weapons and I thought nothing of it because he was level 65 and well you tend to get alot of money at higher levels. Well someone asked him how he got so much money and he said he bought it....

He goes on to explain that there's a website that you can buy 50k meseta for 10$. Now I dont know if he's trying to lure people into a scam or if it's real but I was thinking, 'Is that concidered cheating?'

Now I know it's illegal to do on some mmorgs but i dont know if it is on this game. But he explains that he works for a big company and doesnt have enough time to go out and earn all the money he needs himself so he just buys money whenever he needs it.

Now what are your views on this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jayster on 2007-02-27 17:09 ]</font>

Rashiid
Feb 27, 2007, 08:07 PM
almost as sad as boosting in Halo 2.

"I'd never buy meseta, I earn mine"

Genji
Feb 27, 2007, 08:08 PM
It's against the ToS to sell SEGA's property. You could easily make that much selling elemental photons to other players on the PC/PS2 version.

EDIT: Fixed my post. Didn't realize this was about the 360 version, as it wasn't labeled.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genji on 2007-02-27 17:32 ]</font>

jayster
Feb 27, 2007, 08:11 PM
On 2007-02-27 17:08, Genji wrote:
It's against the ToS to sell SEGA's property. You could easily make that much selling elemental photons to other players.

This is xbox360. So xbox360 you'd have to have about 500 photons that can sell for about 100 each to make that money.

Rizen
Feb 27, 2007, 08:14 PM
If this is PC/PS2 server...I can easily see this. If it was Xbox360 version, I still would see how it is possible.

At that level, you should be able to come across money rather quickly if you just play smart and maintain a player shop. Also the rewards from missions increase (assuming one is able to do S)...but if he went as far as saying he paid for the money...thats a bit...hm...lame? Im not really trying to judge people's methods of playing, but I dont see why play a game if you arent going to work for anything.

Buying money is not exactly considered "cheating" but goes against ToS (illegal). I think I will leave it at that.

Scejntjynahl
Feb 27, 2007, 08:23 PM
-_- Why would someone spend actual money to buy fake money?

Dhylec
Feb 27, 2007, 08:27 PM
On 2007-02-27 17:23, Scejntjynahl wrote:
-_- Why would someone spend actual money to buy fake money?

Unfortunately, there were/are/will be people who actually did/do/will do so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2007-02-28 06:06 ]</font>

Dark_Envy
Feb 27, 2007, 10:43 PM
It's the same thing with people that buy Gold on WoW, Adena on Lineage 2 and Gil on FFXI, they just want a way to speed their way into getting the best junk on an Online game, for which they'll probably get bored of and leave sooner or later, and then look back and be like "Why the hell did I do that?"

Sekani
Feb 27, 2007, 11:05 PM
Well, earning enough Gil to get by on FFXI took ridiculous amounts of time and/or effort back when I played it, so I wouldn't blame anyone for buying Gil there.

PSU, on the other hand.... there are (non-Bruce) missions out there that give over 5k meseta for S-rank, not counting drops and rare items. A dedicated player could make 50k in a few hours. There's really no point in buying meseta.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sekani on 2007-02-27 20:06 ]</font>

Pengfishh
Feb 27, 2007, 11:39 PM
It's unfair to call buying digital currency "foolish;" and why stop there? Why isn't involvement in a digital "world" foolish, or taking shit like that seriously not foolish? Some folks want an edge up over others, some just don't want a game, a sort of escape even, to be a chore. I bought meseta because I wanted the game to be fun and struggling with meseta was just not fun.

Foolish? Couldn't be. I had two dollars to spend on making a game fun that I wanted to be fun, so I did. I'd like to think that's the case for a lot of people who did the same.

soulid
Feb 28, 2007, 02:31 AM
A dedicated player could make 50k in a few hours. There's really no point in buying meseta.

But in selling...i´d never buy or sell meseta. But in this money driven "real life" environment it´s understandable to me selling whatever one is willing to buy...

What about really rare items (like special, unique weapons you could get only randomly from hard to solve quests), would you buy them for real money?

twysted
Feb 28, 2007, 01:53 PM
there was a guy on pso on gamecube that used to sell items for 3-10 dollars apiece depending on what it was...

Akaimizu
Feb 28, 2007, 01:55 PM
I actually laughed at this notion, particularly when people tried to do it on Ebay, with the Original PSO. Especially since people were rolling in Meseta, in that game. No hacks needed to do it. It just was that easy to make money.

I'm generally against any kind of in-game money buying for stuff like this. Most online Game economies are just not built for that outside support stuff. I guess, for some, it allows them to avoid the typical time investment, but I never equate the game as a job. In general, the game is designed in which the goal of working for it is supposed to be the fun; if it isn't, you generally should probably put your concentration on games in which a lesser investment is needed to get your fun in quicker amounts. Kind of like how various different Online RPGs have different levels of dedication to accomplish the same battle prowress, and garners different fans based on it. Or the non-massive ones which almost always have fast-reward systems.

Of course, reality-based one that endorses that real-money/fake-money idea, is all about that kind of exchange. With that, you know what's going on, and there isn't some battle engine, goal-based gameplay, or balanced benefit from such a thing. People spent just what they felt like spending without driving some unified economy out of wack.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-02-28 11:07 ]</font>

amtalx
Feb 28, 2007, 02:10 PM
Personally I don't endorse it, but games are supposed to be fun. If you want to but virtual money to make the game better for you, be my guest. Just don't ruin it for the people who want to do things differently.

CyarVictor
Feb 28, 2007, 02:18 PM
Work for your money. Now, though, it annoys me that people accuse others of buying meseta off ebay and what not. I was in a room looking around at the current prices of black hearts(out of curiosity) and these three kids(noobs at the same time) were like: "Oh my god, he has 1mil on him". And another brat just starts yelling: "Oh he buys it off ebay". I try to defend myself, but... errr could not with their ignorance. -_-

i know others who run Bruce A all day to earn their meseta and they get accused of buying meseta.

NOT HARD TO EARN MESETA, but I guess our communities are riddled with lazy players.

Itchee
Feb 28, 2007, 02:53 PM
On 2007-02-28 11:18, CyarVictor wrote:
...I guess our communities are riddled with lazy players.

Sadly.

CyarVictor
Feb 28, 2007, 02:56 PM
What's next, power level farms like those on WOW: pay a company who will level your character for you.

Dark times for us hard workers.

Itchee
Feb 28, 2007, 03:04 PM
On 2007-02-28 11:56, CyarVictor wrote:
What's next, power level farms like those on WOW: pay a company who will level your character for you.

Dark times for us hard workers.

People do that BS for mission points now....

Natrokos
Feb 28, 2007, 04:56 PM
It's a game...If you have to rmt then you are really missing the point of the game in my opinion...

MrFortegunner
Feb 28, 2007, 05:57 PM
On 2007-02-27 17:05, jayster wrote:
He goes on to explain that there's a website that you can buy 50k meseta for 10$.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jayster on 2007-02-27 17:09 ]</font>

Wow that's a good price

Itchee
Feb 28, 2007, 06:00 PM
On 2007-02-28 14:57, MrFortegunner wrote:

On 2007-02-27 17:05, jayster wrote:
He goes on to explain that there's a website that you can buy 50k meseta for 10$.

Wow that's a good price [/sarcasm]

Fixed.

GreenArcher
Feb 28, 2007, 06:13 PM
Pallette full of A rank weapons...cheapest being 7*s @ 90k? each.
50k for 10$
That's coming out of his college fund

forevergamer
Mar 1, 2007, 03:12 AM
i'd rather work for it than buy some online.and 2nd,dont you spend enough already playing?so why go through all that trouble buying meseta when you can earn it.i realize that some people has lack of patience over this.but hey,wouldnt it be great to buy stuff out of your hard work.like in real life.

Been playing before,been playing still...

Pengfishh
Mar 1, 2007, 05:14 AM
Games are not real life and should not reflect themselves as such! I have enough financial woes in my life; I certainly don't want them in my escape from reality. Consider it like robbing a bank, but without that actually being illegal.