PDA

View Full Version : Little Brother & Mick Boogie "...And Justus for All"

DizzyDi
Mar 1, 2007, 08:20 PM
Really, the only time I get excited with the drop of a mixtape is when Mick Boogie’s name is attached. Not so long ago he helped launched the buzz on Lupe, he’s honoured the return Hov, and pieced together one of my favourite would-be releases by way of AZ and Nasir Jones. On top of that, a couple weeks ago to help celebrate the re-lanuch of http://www.mickboogie.com, He, Little Brother, and the rest of the Justus League Crew dropped …And Justus For All via a FREE online download.

Being a JL posse cut and common to all mixtapes, …And Justus For All comes packed with a ridiculous amount of collabs and features Skillz, Rhymefest, Bishop Lamont, Joe Scudda, Mos Def, Talib, AZ, Cormega, and Kardinal Offishall all show up to lend bars. The production helms are also shared among a wide ranged cast. Depending on who you are, you’ll love/hate the fact that Babu, Nottz, RJD2, Young Cee, Khrysis, Focus, The Kickdrums, J. Cardim (and Phonte), and Midi Mafia show up behind the boards in addition to 9th Wonder (who has two tracks of his own).

What surprised me about this piece is that Little Brother still sounds like Little Brother. Not to take anything at all from their former running mate, but if I was told that 9th manned the boards for this latest effort, it wouldn’t be that hard to believe. It still has that unified mellow feel LB is known for, which is crazy considering how many different producers contributed. Justus party member Khrysis really impressed me with how well his sound compliments Phonte and Pooh – especially on Back At It along side Cory. I may just be biased to all things Mega, but this track is all kinds of dopeness.

Rare to mixtapes however, …And Justus For All was put together with a little bit of focus and intention. With all of the controversy swarming the trio-turned-duet, and with the aid of Mick, Phonte and Big Pooh attempt to prove that they are real deal emcees and can survive without the iconic throwback sounds of the mighty 9th Wonder. The interludes where the two are just sitting around talking do a lot in way of this purpose. You really get a picture of how smart and damn hilarious these cats are. To be blunt, why so many people don’t think a post-9th Wonder Little Brother is worth a damn is beyond me. Don’t get me wrong, 9th is stupid ill, and deserves all the love he gets, but Pooh and especially Phonte are the absolute truth when it comes to mic controlling.

In the end, …And Justus For All is still just a mixtape so track to track it tends to be scattered, lacking a cohesive spirit. But fuck all that. This is legally FREE, what hell else could you want? Of course we’ll all miss 9th when the full LP, The Getback drops later in the year, but Phonte and Pooh are dope as fuck, so in the end, Little Brother is still dope as fuck.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 1, 2007, 09:10 PM
On 2007-03-01 17:20, DizzyDi wrote:
Mos Def

Shit, it's Ford Prefect!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/movies/40935/40935_bp.jpg

DizzyDi
Mar 1, 2007, 09:12 PM
Mos Def, a true artist.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 1, 2007, 09:40 PM
His last LP is weird.

Purple CD in a clear case, no booklet/outer packaging.

Like that one CD that said: "STEAL THIS CD!"

DizzyDi
Mar 1, 2007, 09:55 PM
That wasn't a true release.
They released it earlier in order to avoid bootlegging, but in the process they forgot to add an album cover, so they took it off shelves.
Its going to be re-released sometime soon, with more songs and an album cover.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 1, 2007, 09:56 PM
Sweet.

Good thing I didn't buy it like that.

I wondered WTF was up with it.

DizzyDi
Mar 1, 2007, 10:00 PM
Yep. I haven't bothered picking it up but from what I hear its just as weird as his last LP "The New Danger". And even though I liked The New Danger, I want Mos Def to go back to his Blackstar/Black on Both Sides days.
But I'll take Mos anyway they give 'im to me.
Hes a real MC.

ravenpaw
Mar 1, 2007, 10:02 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

DizzyDi
Mar 1, 2007, 10:05 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 1, 2007, 10:09 PM
On 2007-03-01 19:02, ravenpaw wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The Boogie(down Bronx)man will make an LP however he wants!

The New Danger was crazy like The Love Below and Dre 3000. The Album cover and even CD art on the disc itself is very nice, although it wasn't the most memorable album around.

He's still making songs consistently with Kweli here and there just the same as Dre and Big Boi work together one way, while are completely different seperately.

I never thought about that comparison until now when bringing up The New Danger.

SPEAKERBOX! THE LOVE BELOW! SPEAKERBOX! (no u)

DizzyDi
Mar 1, 2007, 10:13 PM
The thing about The New Danger was that Mos was trying to reclaim rock music back for black people ever since Elvis stole popularized it for whites, HENCE all the heavy guitar rock/rap songs.
Its pretty memorable to me, but the album IS an acquired taste, and is DEFINATELY not for everyone. But Mos isn't about making music for the masses anyway.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 1, 2007, 10:21 PM
He didn't have to learn his dance moves from Forrest Gump and invent the FCC by showing them off on TV.

I honestly only gave it a once through, after picking up a plethora of CD's at around the same time and getting it lost in the shuffle. There's always time for another listen to really hear Jimi (like Billy Hoyle and his "foods that start with the letter Q" partner in crime).

Borrowed the Love Below for a playthrough once on that same note and was even distracted while it played, didn't really get a full experience.

DizzyDi
Mar 1, 2007, 10:24 PM
You're missing out, on both albums.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 1, 2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the recommend.
I'll add it to the list.

With
Blackalicious & that Zion-I I haven't even opened yet and that new Dir En Grey like your lesbo friend! (just kidding)

DizzyDi
Mar 1, 2007, 10:32 PM
I can recommend you MANYMANY more.
My musical library is PHENOMENAL!
I just need to diversify my bonds genres.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 1, 2007, 10:40 PM
On 2007-03-01 19:32, DizzyDi wrote:
I can recommend you MANYMANY more.
My musical library is PHENOMENAL!
I just need to diversify my bonds genres.

They give you cash, which is just as good as money.

AFLAC!

I could use more smooth stuff; sit and get work done music. Found out SADE made an album in 2000, don't have Miseducation of Lauryn Hill yet almost a decade past release. :self dissaprove:

DizzyDi
Mar 1, 2007, 11:10 PM
Sit back and relax music?
Well...I'd look into Kev Brown, the ENTIRE Bebop soundtrack, Mathematik, Dilla Donuts is kinda softcore, instrumental CDs from RJD2, Madlib, and Nicolay. The Foreign Exchange, Little Brother's the Listening is a real jazzy LP.
ANYTHING BY ERYKAH BADU!

UnderscoreX
Mar 1, 2007, 11:39 PM
On 2007-03-01 17:20, DizzyDi wrote:
and pieced together one of my favourite would-be releases by way of AZ and Nasir Jones.

what's this?!

DizzyDi
Mar 1, 2007, 11:48 PM
Mick Boogie, mixtape DJ.
Do a torrent search.

Moo2u
Mar 1, 2007, 11:52 PM
On 2007-03-01 20:48, DizzyDi wrote:
Mick Boogie, mixtape DJ.
Do a torrent search.

Note: DizzyDi's esstate remarks that Mr. Di does in no way condone the use of torrents

DizzyDi
Mar 1, 2007, 11:59 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

UnderscoreX
Mar 2, 2007, 12:14 AM
I knows who he is, just haven't heard anything about that.