PDA

View Full Version : Anyone happy they adding SLICERS? ^_^

Saner
Mar 3, 2007, 12:43 AM
looks like Sega is listening! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

and not only that, PHOTON WHIPS!! Now that's quite a miracle!!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0702/game070228a.shtml

of course its for the expansion but still, the evergrowing PSU franchise is getting better and better!

EphekZ
Mar 3, 2007, 12:44 AM
Yes, becuase now WTs get a multihit weapon finally.

February
Mar 3, 2007, 12:45 AM
Posting in a Saner topic http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

omegapirate2k
Mar 3, 2007, 12:45 AM
Slicers are quite nice. I hope fighgunners have access to them.

And

http://www.pso-world.com/images/psu/news/03-02-07/psu-illuminus-screenshot-04.jpg

That looks pretty damn sweet.

February
Mar 3, 2007, 12:47 AM
sooooo going to use that hair style

Rashiid
Mar 3, 2007, 12:47 AM
wth is so great about a slicer? was if from PSO or sumthin? looks kinda like a dud dagger >.>

omegapirate2k
Mar 3, 2007, 12:49 AM
On 2007-03-02 21:47, Rashiid wrote:
wth is so great about a slicer? was if from PSO or sumthin? looks kinda like a dud dagger >.>

Slicers were hunter focused ranged weapons that shot a photon blade that attacked a ton of different targets in one hit.

Rashiid
Mar 3, 2007, 12:50 AM
o0o0o, ok, thnx omega!

i guess this expansion isnt so exciting to me, since i dont hav that "ZOMG THATS FROM PSO!" feeling....http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

VanHalen
Mar 3, 2007, 12:56 AM
Not really they were fun but I didn't really like them.

Genji
Mar 3, 2007, 12:59 AM
On 2007-03-02 21:47, Rashiid wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mrFXT8BThc

Second weapon shown is Flight Cutter, a slicer-type weapon from PSO.

Retehi
Mar 3, 2007, 01:02 AM
In before pies, pepsi, and fries.

Rashiid
Mar 3, 2007, 01:03 AM
o that i s pretty kool! yeah i think WT should get those! hell it hink WT should get everything else! theyre so robbed >.>, them and protransers

Dj_SkyEpic
Mar 3, 2007, 01:15 AM
Think of Slicers as ninja starts that hit multiple targets http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

... and boomerangs that never return >..>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dj_SkyEpic on 2007-03-02 22:16 ]</font>

Midicronica
Mar 3, 2007, 01:26 AM
http://www.the-magicbox.com/0702/psum11.jpg

This outfit in this image reminded of the Wakka's from FFX for some reason. XD

Esti
Mar 3, 2007, 02:22 AM
http://www.the-magicbox.com/0702/psum17.jpg

Those what I think they are?! o.o;

FluxGryphon
Mar 3, 2007, 02:23 AM
Slicers have been around for a long time. I've never played Phantasy Star I, but I'm quite sure they were in II, and III. :3 Good stuff. I've never heard of the photon whip thing before. Was that in BB or something?

Niered
Mar 3, 2007, 02:24 AM
The fact that they brought back slicers did make me happy, but more important to me was the implications of both these and the "madoogs" as they are called. The fact that there is now a ranged weapon that isnt an offhand, and a technic based weapon that is will add so much more depth to the game.

oh, and I agree with everyone else here, photon whips=made of instant win.

Zorafim
Mar 3, 2007, 02:32 AM
Slicers started in PSII and have been seen in ever PS to date. Whips were seen once in PSII, but never again.

I love references <3

JaiBlue
Mar 3, 2007, 02:37 AM
Well apprently most ppl are going rag doll over slicers are because back then in PSO without slicers hitting multipul targets efficiently for hunters was but the feeble dream of a mad man.

I still never cought what the big hype was about them, I was hitting 8-10 monsters simotanously with gizonde, didn't see me getting all giddy about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JaiBlue on 2007-03-02 23:39 ]</font>

Soukosa
Mar 3, 2007, 02:39 AM
Anyone else finding it amusing how people will think that the slicers were work exactly like they did on PSO? 5 bucks says they'll work quite differently.

Zorafim
Mar 3, 2007, 02:47 AM
You mean like swor- You mean like sabe- You mean like handgu- you mean like...

Wow, good point.

DurakkenX
Mar 3, 2007, 02:55 AM
I was thinking about making a hoax photon whip just this last week... and i was almost going to do it, but then i saw the article about the expansion and was grrr ST takes the fun out of everything v.v

Trioxin13
Mar 3, 2007, 02:57 AM
I don't know. I didn't really like them in PSO, I tried them once or twice on Dreamcast.
I might give them a try on here, if my class can even use them, to see if it's changed and is something I might use this time, won't buy any PAs until I deside if I like them though.

EphekZ
Mar 3, 2007, 03:23 AM
On 2007-03-02 23:39, Sounomi wrote:
Anyone else finding it amusing how people will think that the slicers were work exactly like they did on PSO? 5 bucks says they'll work quite differently.

it's the concept really.

Alisha
Mar 3, 2007, 03:42 AM
sup 3 target limit

EphekZ
Mar 3, 2007, 03:47 AM
On 2007-03-03 00:42, Alisha wrote:
sup 3 target limit

lol yarly

Palefire
Mar 4, 2007, 03:23 AM
All I know is that I'm ready for that Photon Whip. They call to me...indeed they do.

Fuji
Mar 4, 2007, 03:32 AM
I only liked Slicers because they looked cool, boomerang-esque. Photon Whips...something about a Photon whip just seems so cool and with the PA possibilites it could have...

Yeah, Im more about Photon Whips than I am about Slicers.

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 4, 2007, 03:33 AM
On 2007-03-02 23:57, Trioxin13 wrote:
I don't know. I didn't really like them in PSO, I tried them once or twice on Dreamcast.
I might give them a try on here, if my class can even use them, to see if it's changed and is something I might use this time, won't buy any PAs until I deside if I like them though.

I'd buy the PA myself. Some weapons are only good for their PA's. For example, who would carry a saber or a dagger without a PA? It's unfair to judge a weapon without it's PA.

Zorafim
Mar 4, 2007, 03:33 AM
Slicers sucking in PSO is no reason for them to suck now. After all, spear type weapons were rather useless in PSO, weren't they?
But still, I wonder how slicers would work in this game. The PAs will rock with them, I would expect. Unless they're bullet type weapons...
I'm hoping they're going to have them closer to PSII slashers than PSO slicers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-03-04 00:34 ]</font>

Skuda
Mar 4, 2007, 03:35 AM
If Slicers work like a right handed gun, they'll have bullets that will likely increase the number of targets hit when leveled.

If it works like a normal right handed melee weapon .. well, just imagine the sorts of PAs they could make for it!

Skies the limit!

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 4, 2007, 03:35 AM
Spear type weapons? That's a compliment to the Partisan of PSO. The Partisan was basically a weaker but more accurate version of the sword. The PSO Rod was more similar to the current spear.

Trioxin13
Mar 4, 2007, 07:30 AM
On 2007-03-04 00:33, Sgt_Shliggy wrote:

On 2007-03-02 23:57, Trioxin13 wrote:

I'd buy the PA myself. Some weapons are only good for their PA's. For example, who would carry a saber or a dagger without a PA? It's unfair to judge a weapon without it's PA.

True.

But if they are "bullet" type, and work like guns, it should shoot the same if it has a PA on it or not. If you buy a gun and no PA, it shoots the non-elemental bullets. Each button push would throw another blade, instead of having combo PAs like melee weapons do, the PA would just add an element to the blade it shoots.

That's how I tested the grenade launcher, I bought 1 and just used the normal green shots it came with to see if I would like them. No point wasting the meseta on a PA if it turns out you won't use the weapon. You can sell the weapon in a shop and get at least half the meseta back for it, you're stuck with the PA until it gets deleted if you have 36.

I'm not really judging it. I'm just saying I didn't like them in PSO, so I'm not super hyped for them now, but I will give them a try on here to see if they are different and I like them. I didn't like Swords on PSO but kinda do on here, guess it's the PAs that make me like them.

Sylpheed
Mar 4, 2007, 08:18 AM
If slicers are anything like they were on PSO i wont be getting one i personally thought they always sucked ass and never done any damage at all but ST can prove me wrong hopefully theyll give it a good name this time

Miyoko
Mar 4, 2007, 08:31 AM
Slicers definately had their uses in PSO... They were great for bosses, I found. Nothing killed dragon quicker than a hard-special-special combo on my 20%hit diska of braveman.

I hope they're boss killers in PSU, too.

AC9breaker
Mar 4, 2007, 08:40 AM
On 2007-03-04 00:35, Skuda wrote:

If it works like a normal right handed melee weapon .. well, just imagine the sorts of PAs they could make for it!

Skies the limit!

I really can't imagine any Photon Art for slicer as melee that would not make it unbalanced or interesting. Basically all the ideas I've heard from people are saying something like multiple shots or a Giant wave. The sound more like an Ultimate PA type move then just a regular Slicer type. reinforcing my notions of it working as a right handed ranged weapon.

-Ryuki-
Mar 4, 2007, 08:48 AM
On 2007-03-04 05:40, AC9breaker wrote:

On 2007-03-04 00:35, Skuda wrote:

Skies the limit!

I really can't imagine any Photon Art for slicer as melee that would not make it unbalanced or interesting. Basically all the ideas I've heard from people are saying something like multiple shots or a Giant wave. The sound more like an Ultimate PA type move then just a regular Slicer type. reinforcing my notions of it working as a right handed ranged weapon.

I never said that. Did you see my thread regarding what I thought would be a good slicer PA?

AC9breaker
Mar 4, 2007, 09:11 AM
Bad comprehension on my part then, but it still sounded more or less the same.

pso123hrf
Mar 4, 2007, 09:24 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif If wartechers got more S ranks (Like wandz and cards) and the ability to use Madoogs and Slicers and possibly the Photon Whip, then I am definatley switching. (And increase Technique ability to level 30)

Are slicers 2 handed or is it a left handed weapon?

Weakness
Mar 4, 2007, 10:09 AM
On 2007-03-04 06:24, pso123hrf wrote:
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif If wartechers got more S ranks (Like wandz and cards) and the ability to use Madoogs and Slicers and possibly the Photon Whip, then I am definatley switching. (And increase Technique ability to level 30)

Are slicers 2 handed or is it a left handed weapon?

From pictures, it looks Right handed...

Though I guess it could be two handed.

Tiyr
Mar 4, 2007, 11:09 AM
I would kill for double slicers. My character's modeled largely after Anna / Alys, with the whole accurate ranged / melee thing, so if FighGunners don't get slicers I'll be switching to whoever does.

I would gladly give up the Q-tip for S-rank slicers.

dudeanonymous
Mar 4, 2007, 11:11 AM
yup, I had all the rare slicers in pso...but thats not rare, they were quite common, they better add a lot more S weps so we have more frequent drops

-Rune-
Mar 4, 2007, 12:24 PM
I'm prolly one of the most stoked people about this finally being added. Before this game was released, all I would ask is where is the slicer?

It was prolly one of the most underated weapons in PSO. I used it faithfully though, had it down to a science especially in the mines <3

Callous
Mar 4, 2007, 12:29 PM
All I used slicers for in PSO was to be able to tag the mobs with my HUcaseal. Since that's not really an issue anymore it's not something I'm particularly excited about.

burninglink5
Mar 4, 2007, 12:34 PM
Who cares about the weapons, they're bringing mags (or mad dogs, whatever you prefer) back! Thats all I need. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: burninglink5 on 2007-03-04 09:36 ]</font>

-Rune-
Mar 4, 2007, 12:39 PM
On 2007-03-04 09:34, burninglink5 wrote:
Who cares about the weapons, they're bringing mags (or mad dogs, whatever you prefer) back! Thats all I need. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: burninglink5 on 2007-03-04 09:36 ]</font>
will be cool to see again as well. I really can't wait for any of it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ThEoRy
Mar 4, 2007, 02:16 PM
I never understood why the slicer was removed in the first place. it has been in the series for soooo long it just made no sense to me. When I look at my class type screen there seems to be a few missing weapons there. I had always speculated they were bringing back slicers in an expansion. Bringing back the whip was a nice surprise as well. I hope I'm not gettin my hopes up for nothing and the slicers is not equipable by forces. Originally designed for hunters in ps2 but later redesigned for all. here's to hoping they stick to the pso formula as I would love to wield a slicer again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Octagon on 2007-03-11 16:43 ]</font>

happy_cricket
Mar 4, 2007, 02:27 PM
Personally, I can't wait for the return of the slicer. They were the most underappreciated weapon in PSO, IMHO. Once I discovered how much win they were, they became my primary weapon type.

ThEoRy
Mar 4, 2007, 02:38 PM
I agree cricket. As a FoMar and FoNewm on pso the red slicer was my best friend. Flight fan was cool 4 leveling as well.

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 4, 2007, 02:54 PM
I liked the slicer but I didn't really appreciate it until I got the Diska of Braveman and then my Red Slicer. They seemed useless until I got to areas I didn't always want to be in melee range. Great weapon at range but it's really a joke at close range. . . Wonder if they'll change that.

Also, the slicer, IMO, will be a right handed melee weapon. If it's treated as a left hand gun then it would be way to similar to the fan and crossbow.

EphekZ
Mar 4, 2007, 02:56 PM
On 2007-03-04 11:54, Sgt_Shliggy wrote:
I liked the slicer but I didn't really appreciate it until I got the Diska of Braveman and then my Red Slicer. They seemed useless until I got to areas I didn't always want to be in melee range. Great weapon at range but it's really a joke at close range. . . Wonder if they'll change that.

Also, the slicer, IMO, will be a right handed melee weapon. If it's treated as a left hand gun then it would be way to similar to the fan and crossbow.

it's right handed for sure. in the picture he's using his right and looks you'll have to move with in the animation again.

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 4, 2007, 03:06 PM
Which will be a HUGE HUGE HUGE improvement. The PSO sword was bad and they used nearly the same animation in PSU but you can TURN now. The slicer of PSO would be so much better with mid-combo turning o.o;

It's GOTTA be a melee weapon. The way the guy holds it is so not a standard swing. Ic an imagine fans getting a real funky animation >_>

SolomonGrundy
Mar 4, 2007, 03:35 PM
Why Slicers are good:

1. They were a ranged attack for hunters, and fighting forces with decent ATP.

2. They bullets were seeking (they would veer to hit an enemy)

3. They often had great weapon 'specials' on them. HUmar + diska of liberator in Mines = win. For those who did not play PSO weapons specials were like Status Effects.

4. Some of them looked awesome (see diska of liberator above).

In PSU this weapon could be great or nearly useless depending on how sega implemented them.

As a two handed weapon, with average ATP/ATA that does melee damage, they would be rather useless.

As a right handed weapon that uses bullet arts, or better, uses skills but damage COUNTS as ranged damage they are horrifying.

PSU in the arms department suffers a few things: weapons cannot have hit, or be more than one element. PSO had weapons that could be effective vs 3 out of 4 types of monsters, and that is sorely missed.

DurakkenX
Mar 4, 2007, 03:39 PM
more than likely it will be a 3 target blade that shoots out that is a slight bit faster than a sword, but far slower than a handgun with the range of a regular straight shot technic and Bullet type PAs.

Benefits...long range multi target hunter weapon that can change directions
cons... it'll be really slow and most likely will be useless in all but low level areas or if they introduce annoying MOBs that are airborn and move like those things in mines.

ThEoRy
Mar 4, 2007, 03:46 PM
There is no way that the slicer is a melee weapon. Are we looking at the same pic sgt shliggy? in the pic im looking at there arent any enemies near the char. which would lead one to believe he is throwing a blade at something in the distance. Which btw is how a slicer works.

SolomonGrundy
Mar 4, 2007, 03:56 PM
On 2007-03-04 12:46, Octagon wrote:
There is no way that the slicer is a melee weapon. Are we looking at the same pic sgt shliggy? in the pic im looking at there arent any enemies near the char. which would lead one to believe he is throwing a blade at something in the distance. Which btw is how a slicer works.

Doesn't matter is is throws a blade, it could still be classified as melee damage. I would be interested in an alternative to sabers and daggers though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tengoku
Mar 4, 2007, 03:57 PM
On 2007-03-02 21:50, Rashiid wrote
i guess this expansion isnt so exciting to me, since i dont hav that "ZOMG THATS FROM PSO!" feeling....http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
I'm of the same mind. I think it's really neat that they're bringing back some of the "old" weapons/ items/ clothes, but it won't mean as much for me as it will the rest of you all. I never played PSO. I just watched my buddies rip it up on the Dreamcast.

My hope is that it'll bring all the disposessed PSO players into the PSU world. That, and I hope the PSO clothes aren't overrated.

Well, maybe if I can get a Cowboy Hat to go along with the whip. Then I'll be all excited like.

Still, it's good thing for all you long-term players. Go you!

SolomonGrundy
Mar 4, 2007, 07:44 PM
On 2007-03-04 12:57, Tengoku wrote:

On 2007-03-02 21:50, Rashiid wrote
I'm of the same mind. I think it's really neat that they're bringing back some of the "old" weapons/ items/ clothes, but it won't mean as much for me as it will the rest of you all. I never played PSO. I just watched my buddies rip it up on the Dreamcast.

My hope is that it'll bring all the disposessed PSO players into the PSU world. That, and I hope the PSO clothes aren't overrated.

Well, maybe if I can get a Cowboy Hat to go along with the whip. Then I'll be all excited like.

Still, it's good thing for all you long-term players. Go you!

sadly, PSU is not the game PSO was. Not quite sure why. I know a lot of people who played PSO. Most of them quit PSU after a week or 2. This was before a lot of the content was released, like expert classes, buffs/debuffs, and light/dark bullets, so maybe the CAN be lured back.

Emrald
Mar 4, 2007, 09:48 PM
SANER! IT'S REALLY YOU! MEW MEW! I MISSED YOU SO MUCH!!!! *GLOMPAGE*

McLaughlin
Mar 4, 2007, 09:50 PM
This is already being discussed in the other half dozen topics.

But hey, when has that ever stopped you, Saner?

Emrald
Mar 4, 2007, 09:56 PM
Be nice to saner! I'll cut you if your not nice!

Zorafim
Mar 4, 2007, 10:04 PM
I always had a slicer on my hunter in PSO. They destroyed most of the bosses. I couldn't find a use for it in the normal stages, though, but that may be just because I was soloing all the time (I wasn't risking corruption).

If these are PA based (God I hope they are), then these would be great for fortefighters and wartechers. Fighters would have a ranged weapon that doesn't suck, as well as wartechers. Fighters wouldn't have anything to offhand though, but wartechers would get the mag to work with. Ah, the possibilities....

If only for continuality, I'm loving the fact that slicers are coming back. Not my favorite phantasy weapon, but definitely something that adds to the series.

Weeaboolits
Mar 4, 2007, 11:00 PM
I originally didn't like Slicers in PSO untill i got my Rappy Fan, then I was like OH MY GOD IT'S HITTING! it was mad useful for opening large groups of boxes and killing a mob of Boomas with the same combo at rangethey looked cool too. Also, am I the only one who ISN'T totally psyched for whips? maybe it's jus' cause I have an affinity for blades...

Sychosis
Mar 4, 2007, 11:03 PM
On 2007-03-04 18:56, coolcat33333 wrote:
Be nice to saner! I'll cut you if your not nice!

I would imagine you have a great deal of experience in cutting...

Zorafim
Mar 4, 2007, 11:04 PM
Well, whips are interesting. They're exotic and not seen everywhere. I'm sure not everyone you meet will have one, as opposed to double sabers (I think I saw a force with one once...).

Alisha
Mar 5, 2007, 02:31 AM
sup 3 target limit

i repeat.
dont get your hopes up. any boss where hitting multiple targets is a good idea swords and twin daggaers will be superior. sword owns the hell out of dulk falkis first form.

Zorafim if you think partisans were worthless on pso you are out of your mind. in my opinion spear types on pso were superior to swords because they offered you a moment of safety after the combo was done. and berdysh and soul banish were both quite powerful i imagine the s-rank scythe was too.

Weeaboolits
Mar 5, 2007, 04:18 AM
On 2007-03-04 23:31, Alisha wrote:

sup 3 target limit

i repeat.
dont get your hopes up. any boss where hitting multiple targets is a good idea swords and twin daggaers will be superior. sword owns the hell out of dulk falkis first form.

Zorafim if you think partisans were worthless on pso you are out of your mind. in my opinion spear types on pso were superior to swords because they offered you a moment of safety after the combo was done. and berdysh and soul banish were both quite powerful i imagine the s-rank scythe was too.

I miss the PSO Partisans, they were one of my favorites...