PDA

View Full Version : PVP, how could they ACTUALLY do it?

Kimil
Mar 3, 2007, 10:04 PM
The pvp in PSO... was not the best. It all ended in ppl TP camping with boxed characters...

I was thinking... PVP, doesn't have to be simply 1 on 1. Why not have options of 1 on 1, 6 person FFA, or 3 v 3 team battles? Just have a collaseum Counter, were ppl enter either as a 3 person team, or alone (into 1v1, or 6FFA) and have there be prizes for winning like rare PA disks, rare SUVs, weapons, mats, units, armour, clothes
... just some ideas http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

What would you set a pvp system on psu up like?

-Ryuki-
Mar 3, 2007, 10:05 PM
If they have a PvP system, then elemental armors would be selling up the wazoo.

Kimil
Mar 3, 2007, 10:06 PM
lol.... Then I'd start using grinded non-elemental Melee Weps and ultimate bullets http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
PLus... 50% Fire armour? I'd use my Ice Rapier up their ass
They Switch to a 50% Ice Armour? I have a 38% Fire Asami Zashi http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2007-03-03 19:07 ]</font>

natewifi
Mar 3, 2007, 10:07 PM
OMG DID SOMEBODY SAY P V P!? OMG I LOVE P V P!!!

Rashiid
Mar 3, 2007, 10:09 PM
competitive there nate?

idk, theyd need sum severe rebalencing

Niered
Mar 3, 2007, 10:14 PM
A PVP system in PSU cannot have any rewards system, just a record of wins, losses, and disconnects, just like in PSO.

It must also be a colloseum based PVP, in that you cant have a game going and someone randomly challenges you.

This said, contrary to what many of the people that played PSO think, the PVP in this game would actually be pretty interesting. I see lots of people shooting there mouths off citing PSO as reason enough not to throw PVP into the mix, and I will be the first to admit, PVP in PSO sucked majorly. It was a tack on feature they advertised that never wouldve worked in a million years. But ya know what?

This aint the same damn game.

PVP in PSU involves strafing, sniping, outflanking (100% accuracy from behind anyone?) A good deal of strategy could be put into this system. I fail to see how anyone that has played the story missions where you fight NPC humanoid characters can disagree with me. Obviously the NPC's lack some basic logic, so just take that and make it more competitive, and more entertaining. Set up team matches, and if (ohgod i can only hope) we get a clan feature in the expansion, well, this would basically take PSU from being a subpar sequel (in some peoples minds, not mine, i love PSU more than PSO any day) to SEGA's first major triumph of a game in the NA audience since SA2B.

Weeaboolits
Mar 3, 2007, 10:14 PM
PvP would be cool, although my poor HUnewearl'd likely be obliterated by crimson wielding HUbeasts XD

Retehi
Mar 3, 2007, 10:28 PM
I'd just Death Shot everyone. :/

Zero787
Mar 3, 2007, 10:34 PM
mabye they could have other events that involve pvp like capture the flag >_<?

Niered
Mar 3, 2007, 10:34 PM
On 2007-03-03 19:28, Retehi wrote:

Wouldnt work on EVERYONE, after all, newms and beasts have higher STA, but feel free to blow the brains outta casts and humans with it! =D

-Ryuki-
Mar 3, 2007, 10:35 PM
On 2007-03-03 19:28, Retehi wrote:

Hence, there would be some rebalancing.

AzureBlaze
Mar 3, 2007, 11:50 PM
I was there on PSO DC and some of GC BattleMode. (Gcube ruined it)

I don't think any of the hardcore fighters are left here from the old days, but yes you really could make a name for yourself doing battle, and even though it wasn't balanced you could still have some drag out fights.

You did it by only fighting your own kind. HU vs HU, RA vs RA, there were even ways to name the game like "RU6 NOFO" so you could get a real battle going. It was on Miranda 7. (the rules meant no outside stuff like hax, weps, mags or whatever--use what you find, and your lvl doesn't matter-- that was their attempt to balance it)

Force was always over-done in there, and gcpso made it worse so battle kind of faded away. I personally hope they put PVP on PSU. They've obviously put more thought into all the areas this time, so they will that too. And if it's anything short of utterly busted, people will find a way to make it work. It would certainly add some thrills, and I'd love to get back to the ol' slice n' dice...

Main Point:
Anyway, no one has ever LEFT a game or said ZOMG RUIN because it had too many features! Even if not many people did it, it'd still keep that gang around, keep 'em on the servers, keep them striving for more/better stuff or skills. Plus, when it comes to interaction, monsters can get dull but real people are diff every time!

The battle-like modes could surely work, such as capture the flag, tag, teams etc. There could def. be skills strategy involved, I know there was a great deal of it on dcpsoba, and this is even more complex. The more modes the better, let's bring it on...

VanHalen
Mar 4, 2007, 12:32 AM
There should be bleachers so you can sit in a stadium and watch.......and probably spam "Shoop da whoop" at people fighting

Trioxin13
Mar 4, 2007, 12:38 AM
On 2007-03-03 19:14, Niered wrote:
A PVP system in PSU cannot have any rewards system, just a record of wins, losses, and disconnects, just like in PSO.

Yeah it would be too easy for someone to make a new character and let someone kill them over and over to collect tons of the rewards to sell and not have the losses show on their main character, while boosting the other persons wins.

But maybe a betting system would work instead. Where before the match begins each person can bet meseta, armor, weapons, or whatever.

1v1 / 6 way death match, you could bet anything that you can trade normally, winner takes all.

3v3 could bet meseta only, that way it could just be split evenly between the 3 who win and nobody has to worry about who gets which items.

Valius
Mar 4, 2007, 12:39 AM
They'd probably need to change the stat calculations specifically for PvP. Maybe have a battle mode level seperate from your normal one, or something to that effect. Also, like some people have said, more modes than just deathmatch would be a big plus. A PvP system could work in this game, but as the characters are optimized for PvE some sort of rebalance or rule set would be needed.

VanHalen
Mar 4, 2007, 12:43 AM
Dark Falkus needs to dropped planets on people in certain battle modes.

Valius
Mar 4, 2007, 12:46 AM
On 2007-03-03 21:43, VanHalen wrote:

Or have a boss battle mode, where one player controls the boss and the others fight them....

Eliash
Mar 4, 2007, 12:47 AM
If I had my way, I would put two different modes instead of straight PvP.

The first mode would be an arena, where two groups of 3 have to either fight their way to the end of the mission, or surrive wave after wave of increasingly tough monsters. There would be a reward, however, it would require a bit of work to get them. Rewards would be something like new PA disks that could be found through other means (I.E. drops or sold)

The second mode would feature a player as a SEED lifeform that will recieve an increase in all stats (to make them on par with normal minibosses / bosses) and would face off against 5 other players. The way this event will take place is that several people enter a lobby and sign up...6 random people would be selected. This would negate some if not most of the cheating between friends allowing themselves to kill / be killed. There would only be 1 lobby so that you can't just go to an unpopulated universe.

If those modes were put in and done right, I think they would be fun. I mean common who WOULDN'T want to fight five people as a level 90 Rappy! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Weeaboolits
Mar 4, 2007, 02:48 AM
On 2007-03-03 21:46, Valius wrote:

On 2007-03-03 21:43, VanHalen wrote:

Or have a boss battle mode, where one player controls the boss and the others fight them....

Like that PSO mission that let you play as the Dragon? ^_______^

Edit: Wrong quote ^_^'''

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronin_Cooper on 2007-03-03 23:50 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 4, 2007, 03:14 AM
You know the people that say Rangers woudl dominate PvP? That can be countered SO easily it's not even funny.

Most obvious fix: Lower status effect rate.

Something REALLY simply: Maps with cover. Rangers can't shoot through walls (At least most walls). Techs go through walls if I remember right. . . So forces would have that going for them.

Also, the class that would dominate PvP, in the right hands of course, would be Portranser. Just think >.>

-Ryuki-
Mar 4, 2007, 03:15 AM
Traps, Shliggar, traps.

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 4, 2007, 03:21 AM
That's what I was getting at with protranser >_>;

They have AMAZING traps to set up, not the slightly gimped ranger traps. They have SE4 bows and they have some decent melee weaponry, though they wouldn't fair well against a hunter but that's saying the hutner reaches you untouched.

Palefire
Mar 4, 2007, 03:28 AM
Dark Ages of Camelot has Realm versus Realm, Ragnarok Online has War of Emperium. (Guild versus Guild) So even if one-on-one turns out not to be feasible, there's always these options like those.

Of course, you'd have to have organisations such as "guilds", first...

-Ryuki-
Mar 4, 2007, 03:52 AM
...A guild option would ruin PSU.

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 4, 2007, 04:17 AM
On 2007-03-04 00:52, RyukiZero wrote:

I think ruin is a poor word. . . The final nail in the coffin is a much better phrase

But seriously, a guild system wouldn't be AWFUL but it should only be there if/when PvP comes out.

Niered
Mar 4, 2007, 04:17 AM
On 2007-03-04 00:52, RyukiZero wrote:

No, no it wouldnt. Think about how many areas go unexplored. Y'see, I for one would love nothing more then to do hundreds of runs of Valley of Carnage for my giga/bullet PP save. Problem is, Moatoob is about as popular as universe 18. So i cant get anyone to help me.

If I were in a guild, Id be able to find a group of dedicated players willing to help me toward my guild.

Secondly, I fail to see how adding to community stability could ever hurt. but thats just my humble opinion i geuss.

-Ryuki-
Mar 4, 2007, 04:25 AM
Think about it like this. If you have friends who are in other guilds, and those guilds want them to do something, there's a chance that guild would have a problem with that friend leaving them to help you out. Vice versa, if you had a guild and blah blah blah.

That also doesn't help out if there was PvP as well. 'Cause then, that adds more tension to the above paragraph.

Moatoob's still popular. If anything, I'm there more than I am anywhere else. Valley of Carnage, I love doing. I honestly don't know how I never came across you yet, being that I can't find anyone who grinds that map as much as I do.

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 4, 2007, 04:29 AM
Aren't most friends in the same guilds anyways?

Guilds wouldn't ruin anything. . . And besides, if you guild has a problem with you ditching to help out a buddy, that's tough. Now if there was a PvP match scheduled a week prior or something else along those lines, that's slightly more important but still, if you wanna do something else then you just do it.

I don't have many issues with guilds since I don't join them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Ryuki-
Mar 4, 2007, 04:35 AM
On 2007-03-04 01:29, Sgt_Shliggy wrote:
I don't have many issues with guilds since I don't join them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

That's how I am.

But see, there's issues if.. You don't get a long with a guild, even if you have a friend(s) in it. Think of it as Romeo and Juliet. Capulets vs Montague, and one of their people are friends with the other. Then you think about another situation in which you want to create a guild or join a guild, and want a friend to join but they can't or refuse.

I'm just being pessimistic about this whole guild thing XD FFXI messed it up for me.

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 4, 2007, 04:42 AM
Wanna hear my response to all the hating? Tough for the guild. My buddy asks me to join his guild[s] but I don't bother. The only time I'll join a guild is when a buddy of mine or sometime someone in that guild, usually the leader, needs help (usually for new guilds but this rare on my part).

FurYaNz
Mar 4, 2007, 08:32 AM
On 2007-03-03 19:04, Kimil wrote:
I was thinking... PVP, doesn't have to be simply 1 on 1. Why not have options of 1 on 1, 6 person FFA, or 3 v 3 team battles? Just have a collaseum Counter, were ppl enter either as a 3 person team, or alone (into 1v1, or 6FFA) and have there be prizes for winning like rare PA disks, rare SUVs, weapons, mats, units, armour, clothes
... just some ideas http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Rofl.
Wrong game... PvP is probably NEVER coming out for PSU.
While you're at it just ask for f***ing capture the flag.