PDA

View Full Version : Texting

DizzyDi
Mar 6, 2007, 04:11 PM
Why are people so infatuated with texting instead of having a REAL conversation over the phone?

I don't get it. That is all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DizzyDi on 2007-03-06 13:11 ]</font>

CupOfCoffee
Mar 6, 2007, 04:16 PM
I'm drawn to the fact that it cuts out smalltalk. But when people start just chatting in text... yeah, that's kind of pointless. Haha. I guess the novelty aspect of it is fun for some people, too.

DizzyDi
Mar 6, 2007, 04:17 PM
I see the utility in it for short messages and the like, but when people start wanting to have ENTIRE CONVERSATIONS through text, thats when it gets annoying.

CupOfCoffee
Mar 6, 2007, 04:22 PM
Haha, yeah. I hate it when people try to chat me up in text. "Hey how was ur day." Oh yeah, let me just sit here and press buttons on my phone for an hour to tell you.

Of course, it can be entertaining during class or other non-talking scenarios.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 6, 2007, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I believe that the primary advantage of texting is that it's basically silent. It can be done under circumstances where one is not meant to speak, or otherwise can't speak.

Then again, some people may just be airheaded and obsessed.

Thalui89
Mar 7, 2007, 03:53 PM
I've been studying texting at college since i'm an english language student. What has been discovered is that peoples' spelling has degraded since its introduction. The 'rules' of texting also make it a type of new language aswell. Sounds really borin with me tellin u but its actually kind of interesting in class! =o

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thalui89 on 2007-03-07 12:56 ]</font>

Ma_Navu
Mar 7, 2007, 08:44 PM
And so, I quote the Boondocks on the subject of texting:

Gin Rummy: Man, I don't get that.
Wuncler III: What?
Gin Rummy: That "texting" sh*t.
Wuncler III: What's wrong with texting?
Gin Rummy: Oh, you mean other than the fact that it's the stupidest f**king thing in the world? Who in their right mind would spend fifteen minutes trying to type some sh*t they could have called and said in five seconds? Plus, it involves typing with your thumbs, which I just don't approve of. I don't know about you, but I don't have time to read something that a motherf**ker typed with his thumbs. Fun Fact: Nothing typed by somebody's thumbs has ever been important. It's all just nigga technology, anyway.
Wuncler III: What'd you call it?
Gin Rummy: Nigga Technology. Technology for niggas, and don't start trippin' and sh*t, calling me a racist, because I don't mean "nigga" in a disrespectful way. I mean it as a general term for an ignorant motherf**ker. Anybody, of any race, can be an ignorant motherf**ker.
Wuncler III: Sh*t, I be texting my ass off. Sh*t, bitches like texting. I be texting 'em all the time. Matter of fact, I also be texting my weed man, too, cause, you know, he don't like to be on the phone, so I text him.
Gin Rummy: ...Case in point.

DizzyDi
Mar 7, 2007, 08:47 PM
I sent that bitch a smiley face, bitches love smiley faces.
Seriously though, thats exactly what I mean. A friend of mine wanted to have a deep analytical discussion about where our relationship is going through text, and then got mad at me when I replied 'im not bout 2 argue w u bout this thru txt'.
Like I said before, its all good for short messages when you can't call or something, but when you wanna have an entire conversation, that ish don't fly.

KodiaX987
Mar 7, 2007, 08:54 PM
I love how he filtered out fuck and shit but left nigga uncensored. XD

DizzyDi
Mar 7, 2007, 09:03 PM
Many lulz.

Ma_Navu
Mar 7, 2007, 09:22 PM
In actuality, I didn't type that; since I'm a lazy bastard, I copy/pasted.

Still, that is funny shiz. xD

Scejntjynahl
Mar 7, 2007, 10:43 PM
Texting is annoying when all they text is angry shit. Like recorded for ever till I delete it of course. But until I do . . . it is there, lurking with its past hate towards you. I also hate that some people cant be arsed to even be direct while texting... no, they draw it out... beat arount the bush... and I refuse to comply... so on and on they text... till finally they get the nerve to CALL me to ask me why I don't respond to their text. To which point I HANG up on them, and then promptly TEXT them back "GTFO".

Firocket1690
Mar 7, 2007, 10:46 PM
ehhhh

consider it a very limited eclectic or whatever.

personally, I've lived in front of my computer since 1994. Back in the days of Aol3.0 on floppy disks and such. I converse in text (typed words) on a screen. I've been doing this for ages. The age of cell phones has dawned, and we're still in its development, where phones have advanced to multipurpose devices that call, take pictures/video, send pics/vids, email, bluetooth, play music, etc. Everything. For the very limited geeks I categorize myself under, I havn't developed too many social skills, and still rely on my laptop/computer, because I can. It's easier to send stuff via text (again, context of messages onscreen) as to telephone, because it's not realtime. you can have a few seconds to think about it. and even then, you don't have to respond if you don't want to.
You can read what you're about to send to the other person, so it'll make sense. With realtime voicees, something accidentally slips out, it's gone.
That's the geek side to sending texts anyway.

I can go on for another paragraph about gossip moving during realtime (during classes) silently, amongst the popular kids, but meh, that's a given. sending texts are silent.

On a more personal note. I've had a computer since "93, internet access since "94, and I got my first cell phone in december of 2006. I'm still adapting to the whole concept of talking to an electronic device. carrying it around, speaking to it, charging battery, etc. I'm just not a verbally talkative person. On top of that, my voice sounds... undescribably ungendered as it is, and sounds a lot worse on a phone. >_>;;

Edit: FYI, second month with a cell. I rang up $17 worth of texts, and had our family plan had 350+ minutes remaining. it's a form of paranoia that gets under our skin easily, and phone companies are taking full advantage of it with high rates, 10c/txt, and so forth.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firocket1690 on 2007-03-07 19:52 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Mar 7, 2007, 11:07 PM
On 2007-03-07 19:43, Scejntjynahl wrote:
I also hate that some people cant be arsed to even be direct while texting... no, they draw it out... beat arount the bush... and I refuse to comply... so on and on they text... till finally they get the nerve to CALL me to ask me why I don't respond to their text. To which point I HANG up on them, and then promptly TEXT them back "GTFO".

OH HELL YEAH!
I know a girl that LOVES to do that shit.
Pisses me the hell off.

And Firo, that still doesn't cut it. Being able to read and think about what you're saying, sure thats all nice n' what not, but it doesn't make up for the
A) instant feedback of a real conversation and
B) you're pressing buttons on a phone for 10 minutes when you coulda said the same shiet in 10 seconds.
So what if you slip up everynow and then? Shit happens.

Edit: Once again, I acknowledge that its useful for when you're in class, can't talk, such n' such. I'm not arguing against that (although its still damn annoying when people wanna have a philisophical discussion through text, wtf people.) I'm saying that there are many people out there that i know of that PREFER texting to a realtime talking, and I'm just ranting against this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DizzyDi on 2007-03-07 20:10 ]</font>

Sayara
Mar 8, 2007, 08:34 AM
Texting should be just for a quick note.

Or charge 15 cents more for every extra line past 2.

Jehosaphaty
Mar 8, 2007, 10:20 AM
Texting is a great way to let your mother know you broke you arm snowboarding so you don't have to listen to the manditory lecture. Well, that is until you have to call to get the insurance information.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 8, 2007, 02:13 PM
The funny thing that I'm seeing about this, is that while the geeks were sending text messages over the internet, the non-geeks were constantly talking on their cell phones. Now, the geeks are talking over the internet, using Voice over IP, and the non-geeks are rconstantly sending text messages on their cell phones. Seriously. Role reversal.

DraginHikari
Mar 8, 2007, 02:26 PM
Texting is like anything else, it's a useful tool but at the same time, people ABUSE everything. Cell Phones particularly texting has become a problem where I work (I'm a shift supervisor at a fast food restruant) we've been catching people slacking off worse then before texting on their phones when the managers aren't looking. I had to tell one girl three times in one shift to put her cell phone away when she was texting between orders at the drive-thru window, till finally I warned her that if I saw it again she would be sent home. (By company policy we can't confisate Cell Phones or any other personal property which is why I had to tell her three times >>)

Honsety I don't see why you'd use a phone to send a message when you could call them easily enough and from everything I've see most use to just spread more gossip as if we really need more mediums to gossip about people.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DraginHikari on 2007-03-08 11:32 ]</font>

Leviathan
Mar 8, 2007, 04:57 PM
haha. i use texting a FEW times.
&i know some people that have AIM on their phone &their IMs are redirected to their phone &they then spend hours on their phone texting.

i thought "whats the point of leaving the house then?"

gah.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 8, 2007, 05:38 PM
On 2007-03-08 13:57, Leviatha wrote:

Gotta replenish the beer supply at some point.

astuarlen
Mar 8, 2007, 05:42 PM
I wish people would do more texting and less cell chit-chatting out loud. Nothing more annoying than listening to one side of a conversation.

P.S. This isn't a request for a list of things you find more annoying than listening to someone else's phone convo.
P.P.S. I don't text or instant message.
P.P.P.S. I enjoy a little talking on the phone now and then, but only when I'm alone, so as not to bother others.
P.P.P.P.S. Face-to-face is the best--typed the forum member to the machine.

Kent
Mar 8, 2007, 06:29 PM
Look at it this way:

When they're in public, that's less incessant, mindless yammering you have to put up with - just some quiet typing and a beep every now and then (or in my case, the "PSO Mail" noise).

Using text messages is quick and easy (T9 Dictionary function (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T9_%28predictive_text%29) makes typing on a keypad so much faster, it's not even funny), and has some serious utility. For example, should someone be unable to answer their phone and prose their idiotic gab with you, you are still able to send them a message that they can access, next time they open their phone. But I realize this isn't what the topic's about.

Basically, the reason being, is that one or both parties may not be able to "talk" at the moment. They may be in a Church and subsequently bored with the pretentious crock being spewed forth, or perhaps in a Library, where people are trying to actually use their brains in peace and quiet. Yet, some people, such as myself, like to keep an open line of communication to certain people, at all times. I have friends whom I want to be able to access me at any time, thus my phone, and thus usage of text messaging.

But really, would you rather listen to someone ramble on with "like, oh my god, seriously?! As if!~" and all that nagging chatter aloud, or listen to them quietly type their thumbs off?

Jehosaphaty
Mar 8, 2007, 11:29 PM
On 2007-03-08 14:38, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

On 2007-03-08 13:57, Leviatha wrote:

Gotta replenish the beer supply at some point.

this deserves a http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

Axispoint
Mar 9, 2007, 07:25 PM
At my work, if they catch them texting or using their phone to call people while they're on a machine, they take the phone away (there is a posted warning to this effect). If they continue to do it (like the next day, as they do give the phones back), they better start looking for another job (probably would be insta-termination if they caught someone using one of those cell phone cameras to take pix of machine settings and stuff ((which they're not supposed to even have those cameras in the first place)) ). It used to be cell phones didn't even work in the building, because of the material the walls were made out of, but then a cellphone tower was put in and after that is when the warning went up.

I myself don't even own a cell phone, so texting and all that really isn't an issue to me (and I hate talking on my regular phone, so I definitely don't need a cellphone). Most people I know who have a cellphone just text to send little jokes or a quick message, not to have long conversations (they use it like mini-emails basically).

On 2007-03-08 07:20, Jehosaphaty wrote:
Texting is a great way to let your mother know you broke you arm snowboarding so you don't have to listen to the manditory lecture. Well, that is until you have to call to get the insurance information.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif That's funny (about avoiding lecture, not breaking your arm)!

edited to clarify something

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axispoint on 2007-03-09 16:27 ]</font>